Author Topic: I will attempt it again...  (Read 8238 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
I will attempt it again...
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:04:12 PM »
First off... I really wasn't sure where to put this... so if you think it should go anywhere else... please Touti... feel free to move it.

Once again... October is very close by... and is time for my favorite marathon of the year! my Month-Long Horror/Halloween Marathon. I tried this last year... and it didn't work out too hot... but the year before was awesome... Maybe Some of You Remember this Thread at Intervocative... then I only did horror movies (63 Horror Movies in 31 Days).. but this time I am going to also track the Halloween Episodes of the TV Series I watch!

My goal is a simple one... to beat my record set 2 years ago... so I must watch at least 64 horror movies within the month!.. as well as see what kind of starting point for a goal for next year's marathon on Halloween Episodes of TV Series.

Now... here is a question... what do you think... should this only be for the DVDs I have... or should I allow the TV Episodes and movies I watch off cable count towards my marathon? Of course this will more effect the Halloween Episodes of TV Series then movies... as I seldomly... if ever watch movies on Cable... just one now and again on Comcast On-Demand.

Anyway...

12 Days and Counting till my Month-Long Horror Movie/Halloween Marathon!!!
Pete

lyonsden5

Re: I will attempt it again...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
DVDs only

I look forward to your marathon every year.  :cheers:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
Thanks Rick...
I was pretty much thinking the same thing... only the DVDs I have. I will do my best to... at the very least... make it to the end of the month without missing a single day. But hopefully also beat my record of 2 years ago.

I can't wait... October 1st can't come soon enough for me! I am even attempting not to watch a single horror movie before October first... that will be the hard part for me... can I go almost 2 weeks without watching a horror movie!?!? Especially with me having several new ones the last couple months!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:09:27 PM »
I actually would have said, that TV things you watch (provided you watch them complete) can count; but you seem to have decided already.

I'd try to go along, but my work schedule would not possibly allow me to get anywhere near 60. Unless I'd take a few days off and stop reading any forums :laugh:

Looking forward to read along though and maybe get some inspiration for my Wish List or at least what to view during October myself.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
yeah... but the TV viewings will be so few and far between... basically all it would be is TV Episodes from the current series (The new fall episodes). So I don't think it would make all that much of a difference.

As I said... I am really looking forward to it.... so I am sure I will be going in with a bang! probably watch 4 to 6 movies the very first day!  :P I just hope I can make it almost 2 weeks without watching any horror movies! I don't know if I ever went that long without watching one or not! :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
I'm with Rick on this one - DVDs.  :thumbup:

Go Pete! :thundergod:

Touti

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30:33 PM »
You're my hero Pete.  You can do it  :training:  :tv:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
lol... going to give it my all at least, Touti!   :thumbup: :tv:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:39 PM »
8 Days and counting!... Here I decided not to watch any more horror until the Oct. 1st only 4 days ago... and I am already going through withdrawals!   :stars:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 04:25:48 PM »
8 Days and counting!... Here I decided not to watch any more horror until the Oct. 1st only 4 days ago... and I am already going through withdrawals!   :stars:

Do you clever substitution. You can still watch vampires, and still not be watching horror. ;)

Unless you consider it horror, but I doubt it... or anyway, I don't.

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
Oh yes... I definitely consider Vampires horror.,, here you have a creature with long fangs... stalking you... feasting on your  blood for it's survival... and even (in most stories) turning you into the same creature with that same bite.... yeah... that says strictly horror to me.

this proves as it is said over at Invelos all the time... genres are completely in the eye of the watcher... as I personally couldn't imagine Vampires being anything else then horror... In my own opinion of course.  ;D
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
this proves as it is said over at Invelos all the time... genres are completely in the eye of the watcher... as I personally couldn't imagine Vampires being anything else then horror... In my own opinion of course.  ;D

ARGH!   :redcard: I can't stand it... I just can't stand it!

:training: :bash:

Yes, it is said all the time at Invelos and it's wrong. WRONG, dammit! Genre, by it's very definition, cannot be subjective. It is the very core and language of film. Sure many films work hard to subvert a particular genre and defy classification, but it still isn't subjective; it's a fixed constant by the director, writer, etc. Not a variant decided on a viewers whim. And to even think of applying this madness to horror? Well! It's, erm, unthinkable.  :tease:

Vampires are horror. No opinions necessary. They just are. They cannot be anything else, because they are monsters: creatures that defy science and prey on or represent deep rooted fears of mankind. Horror.

Ahem. Sorry for the overreaction, but it really annoys me that genres are not correctly handled in Profiler. Users argue for eternity over tiny differences in anything technical and in the end, are happy to defer to experts, but genre classification is dismissed as unimportant and,  :suicide: , think there is nothing wrong with adding a couple dozen more. For the record, we need a classification field, because if genre were ever handled correctly, it wouldn't be much good as a search option.

Part of the reason that I get so infuriated, is because when I did film studies a few years ago, genre was the element that most fascinated me and became the key to unlocking a much deeper appreciation of cinema. If only others would work to understand it rather than just dismissing it, they might reach that appreciation too. I'm not saying I completely understand it and can apply it to everything I watch, but the mere fact I refuse to assume I'm right gives the film more potency.

Well I think so anyway. Unfortunately I've found very few people who give a crap!  :surrender:

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 03:23:21 AM »
ARGH!   :redcard: I can't stand it... I just can't stand it!

Sorry! I'll shut up now  :-X

But I don't see Buffy as horror, and never will.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 12:00:02 PM »
But I don't see Buffy as horror, and never will.

In my opinion there is definitely horror in Buffy (Vampires, Demons, ghosts...) but that don't make it strictly a horror series. The way I see it there is different levels of any genre depending on how much they down-play that genre... but that don't mean that genre does not exist. For example... I often have marathons of my collection of Comedy-Horrors where I watch such movies as Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie version)... Dracula: Dead and Loving it... Beetlejuice... any of the Scary Movie movies... and many others I have. I know most people don't feel these are horror movies in any sense of the word... I say... in my opinion that These are definitely not horror to the strictest meaning,,, but they do contain the horror genre... it is just down-played to the point that they are mostly comedy... just has a slight sprinkling of horror for the subject line of the movie... doesn't stop them from being partially horror.

You will see when I do my marathon I will have several Comedy-Horrors in there... just like I will Action-Horrors (Underworld, Van Helsing and the like). Where there is just as much or more action genre as the horror genre.

I don't know if I am explaining how I feel on this subject well enough for you to understand exactly what I mean.

Well... only 1 week now before I start my marathon... 2 years ago when I watched 63 movies in my marathon I was surprised I watched so many.... so I don't know that I can beat that record... but I am definitely going to give it my all... and I have plenty of new horror movies to watch... that I have never watched before... as well as several others coming out next month on pre-order. So I will also have plenty of new ones to watch along with my old favorites. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:06:47 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 04:41:56 PM »
You will see when I do my marathon I will have several Comedy-Horrors in there... just like I will Action-Horrors (Underworld, Van Helsing and the like). Where there is just as much or more action genre as the horror genre.
Of course I could just look at your collection, but thought I ask:

What is your position towards gore? You know, either those late 70s early 80s gore-fests or just more popular stuff like the Zombie films by Romero or even "comedy" like Peter Jackson's early films (Bad Taste and Dead Alive a.k.a. Braindead).

I like a little splatter on my TV, although I stay away from cannibal films or other wild stuff that came mostly from Italy "in the days"...