Johnny Depp offers a bravura performance in this true-life account of the rise and fall of drug kingpin George Jung, who went from selling marijuana in California in the late '60s to becoming a "pioneering" cocaine dealer in the '70s, living a life of wealth and pleasure until his eventual downfall. Penelope Cruz, Ray Liotta, Franka Potente and Paul Reubens also star
A storytelling style similar to Goodfellas and Casino, I found the film dragged on a little, however Depp is fantastic and perfect for the role, although the film relied on him a little too much. This film is low key, with few humourous moments, with Jung coming off more angel than sinner. Certainly worth watching, but is missing something that stops it being great, and the final feeling is one of unfulfilment. 7/10
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon, a review by addicted2dvd
Season 3: Disc 1
1. Anne It is the end of summer vacation, and Buffy is still missing. Willow, Xander, Oz, and Cordelia are attempting to keep the Sunnydale vampire population in check during Buffy's absence... with only moderate success. They miss having the Slayer around, but more than that they miss their friend. Meanwhile, Buffy has been working as a waitress in L.A., going by her middle name, Anne, and trying to forget her old life. But of course, someone always needs the Slayer's help...
My Thoughts: This was a good episode... Thought it was strong season premiere... I liked that they brought back Lily... a girl that thought she wanted to become a vampire... thinking they were misunderstood... this was until she got to see for herself.
2. Dead Man's Party Buffy returns home, but finds that picking up the pieces of the life she left behind may not be as easy as she had hoped. Her mother is trying to accept her back with open arms, but she doesn't seem to trust that Buffy won't just run away again. Her friends seem happy to see her, but their odd behavior makes it appear that they silently resent Buffy for taking off. And, of course, before these problems can be laid to rest, the dead of Sunnydale start to rise.
My Thoughts: This one I liked quite a bit... got a taste of zombie action in this episode... and that is always fun.
3. Faith, Hope and Trick A new Slayer arrives in town. Faith, who was called after Kendra died, seems like a fun-loving, wacky teenager who fits right in with the gang. Buffy worries that Faith may be taking her place in her friends hearts, and then begins to suspect that the new Slayer may be hiding something.
My Thoughts: The first episode with Eliza Dushku as Faith... I remember the first 1 or 2 times through this series how I really disliked the character of Faith... but after watching it several times since... I have really grown to enjoy her. Definitely a good episode!
4. Beauty and the Beasts A student is found savagely mauled in the woods, on the night of a full moon, and the gang worry that Oz may have escaped from his cage. However, Buffy discovers that Angel has somehow escaped Acathla's hell-dimension and returned to earth. Because time moves differently in that dimension, he has endured centuries of torture and is now little more than a wild animal. Now Buffy must find a way to tell the gang that Oz may be innocent and to keep them from killing Angel.
My Thoughts: Once again... a good episode.. this one touches a little on the Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde story. And if that is not enough... we get some Werewolf action as well.
Season 3: Disc 2
5. Homecoming When Cordelia flaunts her sure win for Homecoming Queen it awakens the prom queen within Buffy and they fight for the title. Meanwhile, the new vampire in town, Mr. Trick, rallies a group of tough vampires, demons and mercenaries together to play a game with the two Slayers, "Slayerfest '98."
My Thoughts: I don't know what more to say other then this is just a fun episode!
6. Band Candy Mr. Trick enlists Giles's old buddy Ethan Rayne to manufacture and distribute boxes of candy which turn the adult population into uninhibited, irresponsible teenagers. While the adults are indisposed, the mysterious Mayor Wilkins pays a tribute to a demon.
My Thoughts: This episode I always had mixed feelings about... on one hand I liked seeing the town go nuts the way they did... on the other hand... I always disliked the character of Ethan Rayne. And by this point... this being his third appearance... I got to the point of sick of seeing him.
7. Revelations Xander finds out about Angel's return to Sunnydale and promptly informs the gang who confront Buffy with the fear that he may turn evil again. Meanwhile Faith finds herself under the wing of a new Watcher, Gwendolyn Post, a prim and proper Englishwoman who seems to be intent on showing up Giles at every turn.
My Thoughts: A good episode....Though I have to admit... even the first time I watched this one... I saw this episode's "bad guy" coming well before they revealed it. I had a problem with that character from first sight.
8. Lover's Walk Spike returns to Sunnydale a broken vampire. Drusilla has left him, and he will do anything to win her back, including kidnapping Willow and Xander to force Willow to prepare him a love spell. Will Willow do the spell, or can the Scoobies prepare for tragedy?
My Thoughts: This episode was another good one... Got a bit of a taste of the upcoming Spike when he fights along side of Buffy and Angel against a whole group of vampires.