Author Topic: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge  (Read 53370 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2016, 07:10:35 PM »
Quick Catch-up mini reviews...

The Frighteners:
This has always been a favorite of mine... despite some irritating characters. Lots of fun to watch... recommended!

Lake Placid:
Found this to be an entertaining film... but definitely seen better. But a decent time waster.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein:
Definitely a classic... been a favorite of mine for years! A must see!

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 42/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »

Kingdom of the Spiders
Year of Release: 1977
Directed By: John "Bud" Cardos
Starring: William Shatner, Tiffany Bolling, Woody Strode, Lieux Dressler, David McLean
Genre: Horror, Science Fiction

Overview:
William Shatner stars as veterinarian "Rack" Hansen in this cult classic about an Arizona town infested with eight-legged killers, which turn on the humans whose insecticides have depleted their normal food supply. Woody Strode, who played the title role in John Ford's Sergeant Rutledge and won a Golden Globe Award for Spartacus, is Rack's friend, rancher Walter Colby, whose livestock first fall victim to the angry arachnids. Entomologist Diane Ashley (Tiffany Bolling) arrives and tries to help Rack deal with the crisis, but with the big country fair fast approaching, Mayor Connors (Roy Engel) refuses to let them quarantine Colby's ranch. Soon, the remaining residents are barricaded at Emma Washburn's (Lieux Dressler) lodge, fighting for their very lives, in this skin-crawling chiller featuring Shatner's then-wife, Marcy Lafferty, as his sister-in-law, Terry.

My Thoughts:
This was a lot better than I was expecting. Granted, I wasn't expecting a lot based on the cheap DVD release I have, but even ignoring that it's still a movie from the late 70's titled Kingdom of the Spiders. I picked it up for my collection solely based on the presence of William Shatner, because I'm that much of a trekkie.

Shatner gives the performance I'm expecting here, which is to say solid and heroic, but not particularly nuanced (this is no Boston Legal). Still, I enjoy seeing him. I was pleasantly suprised by the portayal of his love intrest, who is a competent and knowledgeable scientist, and is proven right even when no one believes her. I also liked the low angle, tarantual perspective shots, which added to both the camp and the threat of the film.

If the film starts fairly predictably, it certainly doesn't end that way. The ending is unexpected and I really enjoyed that. Recommended if you're a Shatner fan, or if you're looking for a good creature feature. This definitely was one.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Scavenger Hunt 19, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 39/52
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:47:58 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »

Only Lovers Left Alive
Year of Release: 2013
Directed By: Jim Jarmusch
Starring: Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston, Anton Yelchin, Mia Wasikowska
Genre: Drama, Horror

Overview:
The tale of two fragile and sensitive vampires, Adam (Tom Hiddleston) and Eve (Tilda Swinton), who have been lovers for centuries. Both are cultured intellectuals with an all-embracing passion for music, literature and science, who have evolved to a level where they no longer kill for sustenance, but still retain their innate wildness. Their love story has endured several centuries but their debauched idyll is threatened by the uninvited arrival of Eve's carefree little sister Ava (Mia Wasikowska) who hasn't yet learned to tame her wilder instincts. Driven by sensual photography, trance-like music, and droll humor, Jim Jarmusch's ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE is a meditation on art, science, and the mysteries of everlasting love.

My Thoughts:
I'm kinda torn on this film. I loved the performances - Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton are great, and this is a great character study, especially of Hiddleston's character. There's such great atmosphere, beautiful scenes and interesting ideas. It's wry and melancholy, with an interesting criticism of both the decline of art and culture and of those who bemoan the decline thereof.

Still, something about it didn't click with me. Maybe I wasn't in the proper mood - and it's a moody piece, there's very little plot here. I want to go back to it at some point, probably when I'm more in the mood for an art film or drama. Despite the presence of vampires, this has very little horror.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3.75/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 40/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »

Tower of Terror (1997/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:D. J. MacHale
Writing:D. J. MacHale (Writer)
Length:89 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Buzzy Crocker
Kirsten Dunst as Anna
Nia Peeples as Jill Perry
Michael McShane as Chris 'Q' Todd
Amzie Strickland as Abigail Gregory

Plot:
Big-screen stars Steve Guttenberg (Three Men And A Little Lady) and Kirsten Dunst (Drop Dead Gorgeous) encounter a host of haunts in this delightfully spooky mystery! Buzzy Crocker (Guttenberg) is a hard-luck photojournalist whose unexpected encounter with an old woman leads him to investigate an unexplained, decades-old disappearance. It seems that one Halloween night, many years ago, five partygoers vanished in the elevator of the Hollywood Tower Hotel...and ever since, their ghosts have remained trapped inside the dilapidated old building! In an action-filled story that delivers creepy fun for everyone, Buzzy ultimately teams with his niece (Dunst) to solve the mystery while managing to save their lives and capture the biggest story of the year!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is a film that my daughter and I used to watch... so holds some nostalgia for me. I found it to be a fun movie. I have seen better, but is well worth the watch and perfect for family entertainment during the Halloween season. I recommend giving it a chance.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 43/52
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:06:00 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2016, 02:09:08 AM »
Hell Night (1981/United States)
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tom De Simone
Writing:Randolph Feldman (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Linda Blair as Marti
Vincent Van Patten as Seth
Peter Barton as Jeff
Kevin Brophy as Peter
Jenny Neumann as May

Plot:
As an initiation rite into Alpha Sigma Rho fraternity, four pledges must spend a night in Garth Manor, twelve years to the day after the previous resident murdered his entire family. Two of the pledges, Marti (Linda Blair, The Exorcist) and Jeff (Peter Barton), ignore the rumors that the now-deserted mansion is haunted by a crazed killer, until one-by-one, members of their group mysteriously disappear. Could this be part of a fraternity prank or is a demented former tenant seeking revenge?

When their seemingly innocent rite of passage turns deadly, these college students will do anything to survive Hell Night.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

This one I kinda have mixed feelings about. It is good for what it is... but you kinda expect more from it. It is just an average typical '80s slasher film. A bit on the low budget side. Entertaining but not overly so. This one has Linda Blair in it... I always liked her for some reason. She isn't the best actress out there... and she is cute but not great looking. But there is just something there that always appealed to me. She is the only familiar face in this movie. Pretty much everyone else I have no idea who they are. A decent movie to waste a couple hours with... but nothing to get too excited about. I am not sure why they rated this movie R... really nothing in it that is all that bad. Must just be when it was rated. I would think if it was put through for rating today it would get either a PG or a PG-13 at the most.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 44/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:13 AM »
The Haunted Mansion (2003/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Rob Minkoff
Writing:David Berenbaum (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Eddie Murphy as Jim Evers
Terence Stamp as Ramsley
Nathaniel Parker as Master Gracey
Marsha Thomason as Sara Evers
Jennifer Tilly as Madame Leota

Plot:
From the studio that brought you Pirates of the Caribbean comes the fright-filled comedy adventure with eye-popping special effects presented for the first time through the magic of Blu-ray Disc technology!

Eddie Murphy stars as a real estate agent whose family comes face-to-face with 999 grim, grinning ghosts in the creepy old Gracey Manor! Experience each supernatural effect in 1080p High Definition, and hear each ghostly wail in astonishing 5.1 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio. The unparalleled realism of Blu-ray Disc technology delivers you directly into The Haunted Mansion... if you dare to venture inside.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This one is definitely not the best ghost movie I ever seen... but what it is... is a fun way to spend 90min. If you are looking for scares you need to look elsewhere. But it is a good movie for the whole family to watch. The story line is good... and the cast does a fine job. Recommended.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 45/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2016, 04:11:05 AM »
The Dog Who Saved Halloween (2011/)
IMDb |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:88 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Gary Valentine (1961) as George Bannister
Dean Cain as Ted
Elisa Donovan as Morgan
Lance Henriksen as Eli Cole
Joey "Coco" Diaz as Stewey

Plot:
Zeus (voiced by Joey Lawrence) and the Bannister family have moved into a new home just in time for Halloween! When Zeus and George (Gary Valentine of ''The King of Queens'') decide to investigate a creepy neighbor (Lance Henriksen of Aliens), they discover a scary dog (voiced by Mayim Bialik of ''Blossom'' and ''The Big Bang Theory''), a haunted house and form a surprising partnership with a familiar pair of bumbling burglars (Dean Cain and Joey ''Coco'' Diaz). Can Zeus bust some ghosts, find a missing cat and face his biggest fear, all in time to go trick or treating? Elisa Donovan (''Sabrina the Teenage Witch'') and Curtis Armstrong (Revenge of the Nerds) star in this all-new thrills & chills adventure from the creators of The Dog Who Saved Christmas and The Dog Who Saved Christmas Vacation.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This one I did find cute and worth the watch... but when it comes to the talking animal movies you are better off watching the buddy movies. I must admit that I liked how this one had a lot of familiar faces in it. The story line while enjoyable enough was highly predictable. I guessed what was going on at the neighbor's house within the first half hour of the film. I would say this one is more suited for the much younger crowd.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 46/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »

The Mummy
Year of Release: 1959
Directed By: Terence Fisher
Starring: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Yvonne Furneaux, Eddie Byrne
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Christopher Lee wraps on the moldy gauze bandages to become the tormented Kharis, an avenger stalking the hills of Victorian England to track down desecrators of his beloved's Egyptian tomb.

My Thoughts:
This isn't a remake of the original Universal classic, but of the later sequels. This is another take on the story of Kharis and Ananka, compressing elements from Hand, Tomb and Ghost into a single film. In that respect, it's actually better than those three films, because this isn't a story that needs to be spread out over four different films.

Equally, Hammer's production values are higher and the use of technicolor creates a wonderful look to the film. Peter Cushing turns in his usual fine performance as the archaeologist, and it is always a treat to watch him. Christopher Lee accomplishes more with the expression in his eyes than many other actors do with their whole bodies. I still wish he had more to work with - a role more like Karloff's in '32 or Vosloo's in the '99 film would be more suited to his talents.

This is a typical Hammer film - Victorian setting, foggy British countryside, a rich color palette, a touch of romantic melancholy, and a dash of camp - so if you enjoy Hammer's films, you'll like this one.

Overall: 3.25/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 41/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »

The Bride of Frankenstein
Year of Release: 1935
Directed By: James Whale
Starring: Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger
Genre: Horror

Overview:
In one of the most popular horror classics of all time, Boris Karloff reprises his role as he silver screen's most misunderstood monster, who now longs for a mate (Elsa Lanchester).

My Thoughts:
This was a tragic film in so many respects. The horror isn't the monster - the horror is the treatment of the monster. Indeed, it is the way that people treat him that makes him into a monster. When shown kindness, he responds in kind. Shown fear and anger, he equally responds in kind. He is a lonely, persecuted being, judged on his appearance and origin - and that brings about the deaths among the townsfolk.

We see that he could have a different life, in his brief friendship with the blind hermit. We see he has the capacity to learn, to care, and to enjoy life. So his decision at the end of the film, that he is better off dead, makes this more tragedy than horror.

There was so much that I liked about this film that made the part I disliked so much more pronounced - Una O'Connor's character. That character was so ridiculous, her character overacted and ludicrously hysterical, that she nearly brings the entire tragic atmosphere of the film down. I'd really like to just edit her out of the film, because I enjoyed the rest of it quite a lot.

Her aside, this is a classic piece of cinema that everyone should see at some point. It's a good follow up to Frankenstein, though for me that remains the superior film.

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 42/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »

Lake Placid
Year of Release: 1999
Directed By: Steve Miner
Starring: Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, Brendan Gleeson, Betty White
Genre: Horror, Comedy

Overview:
Bill Pullman (Independence Day, The Grudge), Bridget Fonda (Jackie Brown), Brendan Gleeson (In Bruges) and Oliver Platt (X-Men: First Class) share an appetite for sheer adventure when a tranquil New England lakefront erupts into an action-packed den of destruction in this "monster of a hit" (Wireless Magazine)!

An investigative team, armed with state-of-the-art equipment, high-powered weaponry and a biting sense of sarcasm, must work together to defeat Black Lake's most ferocious resident: a 30-foot prehistoric crocodile! Written by David E. Kelley (Ally McBeal, Boston Legal), directed by Steve Miner (Halloween H20, Friday The 13th Part 2), and co-starring Betty White as the cantankerous Mrs. Bickerman, this terrifying tale of survival "combines humor and thrills with remarkable deftness" (New York Post).

My Thoughts:
If the hallmark of a good creature film is when you root for the creature, this was a great one. Because I was really rooting for the crocodile to eat people. Especially Bridget Fonda's character. And Oliver Platt's. More Fonda's though, she really got on my nerves. There were scenes that I was like that's supposed to build sympathy for her, so the viewer won't want her to get eaten ... nope, didn't work, still want her to get chomped.

My favorite character was the sherriff - him and Betty White were the only ones I really didn't want the croc to eat.

Aside from really hating Kelly, and mostly hating Hector, the rest of the film is pretty good. The croc is really well done, and they chose a beautiful location to film at. The script moves briskly, and there are hints to the twist at the end if the viewer really pays attention. Recommended for fans of creature features.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 3/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 43/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Year of Release: 1948
Directed By: Charles T. Barton
Starring: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Lugosi, Glenn Strange
Genre: Comedy, Horror

Overview:
Comedy meets horror when Bud Abbott and Lou Costello encounter Universal's classic monsters in the frightfully funny Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The world of baggage handlers Chick Young (Abbott) and Wilbur Grey (Costello) is turned upside down when they receive the remains of Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and Frankenstein (Glenn Strange) bound for the House of Horrors museum. When Dracula and Frankenstein escape, complete chaos ensues as Chick and Wilbur get mixed up in an evil plot to switch Wilbur's brain with Frankenstein's and are aided by Larry Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.), who turns into The Wolf Man when the moon is full! Featuring a perfect blend of laughs and thrills, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of the "all-time great horror comedies." (Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide)

My Thoughts:
This holds up really well on a second viewing.  This is such a fun film.  Abbott and Costello are my favorite old-time comedy team, and their comedy is still really funny even when you've seen it before.

This has a good mix of spooky horror elements and comedy, and the monsters are all treated very well.  You've got Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. so you can't ask for a better cast (unless they could have gotten Karloff as well).  The film works because the horror is treated seriously and doesn't fall into the trap of being too silly or a spoof.  Instead it coems off as an homage to Universal's monsters.

Lots of fun, highly recommended.

Overall: 4/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 44/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
The Pumpkin Karver (2006/United States)
First Look Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Mann
Writing:Robert Mann (Original Material By), Sheldon Silverstein (Screenwriter), Robert Mann (Screenwriter)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Spanish

Stars:
Michael Zara as Jonathan Starks
Amy Weber as Lynn Starks
Brian Kary as MIB #1
Bryan Jamerson as MIB #2
David J. Wright as Alec/Pumpkin Face

Plot:
Jonathan and his beautiful sister have moved to a new town in order to start over, leaving a horrible past behind. With the future looking bright, they kick things off with a wild Halloween party on a deserted farm. But there's one guest who wasn't invited and won't let them forget their past. A gruesome pumpkin-headed killer is ready to party—and dying to do some carving. This year, don't answer the door, the trick or treat bags are body bags.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one was recommended to me a while back and when I saw it on sale at Amazon for only $3.99 I couldn't resist checking it out. And it was definitely worth the price paid. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure a couple of the scenes were a bit over the top for the story. And some of the effects could have been better. But over-all I enjoyed it... glad I added it to my collection.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 47/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »
Dracula (1979/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Badham
Writing:W. D. Richter [W.D. Richter] (Screenwriter), Hamilton Deane (Original Material By), John L. Balderston (Original Material By), Bram Stoker (Original Material By)
Length:109 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Frank Langella as Dracula
Laurence Olivier as Van Helsing
Donald Pleasence as Seward
Kate Nelligan as Lucy
Trevor Eve as Harker

Plot:
Throughout history, Dracula has filled men's hearts with fear – and the hearts of women with desire. In this stylish production of Bram Stoker's classic tale, Frank Langella gives an electrifying performance as the bloodthirsty Count Dracula in search for his ultimate bride. Meanwhile, the renowned and relentless vampire hunter, Van Helsing (Laurence Olivier), seeks to end the Dark Prince's reign of terror over the citizens of Transylvania. Featuring a mesmerizing cast, fine direction and a superbly atmospheric musical score, Dracula is an unforgettable adaptation of one of the most enduring horror legends of all time.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I have been curious about this one for years as I had heard good things about it. While I didn't find it to be a terrible movie... I was expecting more. Mainly I found it to be a little slow for my taste. I did however like the final scene and how they finally defeated Dracula... and then the effects used could have been better. Grated this film is almost 40 years old... but watching it I felt like it was even older effects wise. Worth the time to watch... but don't go in expecting too much. There is definitely better tellings of the story out there.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 48/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »
Salem's Lot (1979/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tobe Hooper
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Paul Monash (Screenwriter)
Length:183 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai

Stars:
David Soul as Ben Mears
James Masonas Richard K. Straker
Lance Kerwin as Mark Petrie
Bonnie Bedelia as Susan Norton
Lew Ayres as Jason Berk

Plot:
Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house; a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac; and the dealer's mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder) in "Salem's Lot" — a blood-curdling shocker based on King's novel and directed by Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is almost 40 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him in.
 2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!

Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 49/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2016, 04:08:37 AM »
Beetlejuice (1988/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tim Burton
Writing:Michael McDowell (Story By), Larry Wilson (Story By), Michael McDowell (Screenwriter), Warren Skaaren (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Italian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Alec Baldwin as Adam
Geena Davis as Barbara
Annie McEnroe as Jane Butterfield
Maurice Page as Ernie
Hugo Stanger as Old Bill

Plot:
What's a Yuppie ghost couple (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin) to do when their quaint New England home is overrun by trendy New Yorkers? Hire a freelance "bio-exorcist" to spook the intruders, of course. As directed by Tim Burton, Michael "Keaton's Beetlejuice is one of the biggest, baddest wolves a ghost movie has ever unleashed, a polter-gas" (The Village Voice). Keaton's work in this and Clean and Sober won him 1988's National Society of Film Critics Best Actor Award. Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and Sylvia Sidney share starring honors along with wondrous production design, Harry Belafonte soundtrack tunes and Oscar®-winning Best Makeup.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Beetlejuice Cartoon Episodes

My Thoughts:

I always found this movie to be a lot of fun. Geena Davis was great in the role. And even though I don't normally care for her... I also enjoyed Winona Ryder. This is one that is just plain a fun watch. One that I have seen several times over the years. One I was happy to ugrade to blu-ray... even if they still didn't do much for it when it comes to extras. Believe they just brought over the DVD extras (which wasn't much) and was done with it. Still the film is well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 50/52
Pete