Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 20305 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:12:49 AM »
Just a quick Doctor Who update since I was posting about that here earlier. 
I'm now done with season 4. 
I think I'll start on the specials later tonight.

Najemikon

Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »

What did you think of the finale and Donna's situation? I thought it was haunting...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »

What did you think of the finale and Donna's situation? I thought it was haunting...
(click to show/hide)

Oh definitely haunting.

(click to show/hide)

I watched Waters of Mars today. 
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

Doctor Who
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

By the way, wasn't the opening episode of series 4 hilarious? The bit where the Doctor and Donna notice each other and start mouthing a conversation, only to realise they've been spotted!  :laugh:

I watched Waters of Mars today. 
(click to show/hide)

That's the new angle I was talking about the other day. He certainly isn't perfect.

RossRoy

Doctor Who
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »
I found Waters of Mars a bit weak at first.. that is until it built up to End of Time. Then it put everything in perspective. And at the character point of view, it makes a strong statement as to why the Doctor should have a companion at all times.

One of my favourite scene from End of Time.. Talking about the regeneration process. Look at David when he says "I've done some things..". Powerful stuff.
)Of course, it's a bit spoilerish. Especially if you haven't seen the S4 finale and/or know about Donna's fate(

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:26:22 AM »

(click to show/hide)

By the way, wasn't the opening episode of series 4 hilarious? The bit where the Doctor and Donna notice each other and start mouthing a conversation, only to realise they've been spotted!  :laugh:

(click to show/hide)

That's the new angle I was talking about the other day. He certainly isn't perfect.
[/quote]

This one is about Donna.
(click to show/hide)

Oh that first episode of season 4 was hilarious.  I kept thinking they were going to walk into each other with how close they kept coming.  And when they finally spot each other...wonderful.   :laugh:  I loved it. 

Waters of Mars
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
I found Waters of Mars a bit weak at first.. that is until it built up to End of Time. Then it put everything in perspective. And at the character point of view, it makes a strong statement as to why the Doctor should have a companion at all times.

One of my favourite scene from End of Time.. Talking about the regeneration process. Look at David when he says "I've done some things..". Powerful stuff.
)Of course, it's a bit spoilerish. Especially if you haven't seen the S4 finale and/or know about Donna's fate(

Waters of Mars was a bit...well....not bad exactly..but..well yes, a little weak at first.  Almost just like a normal episode instead of something that should be more important since it is one of Tennant's last.  But how everything works out..that was really strong.  And you're right.  It definitely shows that he needs a companion.  Left on his own too long, and no matter how good his original intention, it is just too easy for him to get ...well..corrupted.

Wow..that is powerful.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Doctor Who
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »
The whole "I don't wanna go" scene is one of my favourite series endings of all time. Right along with Babylon 5's "Sleeping in Light". I'll always need a bucket to catch all my (of course totally manly) tears when I watch these.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
I watched End of Time last night.
Holy crap.

(click to show/hide)

Quick question...in the past, has the Tardis changed too when the Doctor regenerated?  I don't remember that happening at the beginning of the second season.

Najemikon

Doctor Who
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
I watched End of Time last night.
Holy crap.

(click to show/hide)

Quick question...in the past, has the Tardis changed too when the Doctor regenerated?  I don't remember that happening at the beginning of the second season.

Told you...  :whistle: :laugh:

It got repeated the other day, and one particular bit I thought was wonderful...
(click to show/hide)

Oh and his name is Wilf, as in short for Wilfred. ;)
(click to show/hide)

They give the Tardis a little tweak now and again. Never a lot of course, but I do like the new paintjob at the end of Series 5. Also, I like in Series 5 how it has more eccentric, rather pointless additions around the control panel, to match it's more eccentric Doctor owner. Of course the insides have changed rather dramatically over the years...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Doctor Who
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
The TARDIS has changed a lot over the years. Just as the Fifth Doctor said to the Tenth Doctor in the "Children in Need" special "Time Crash": "You've changed the desktop theme!". ;)

Earlier (much earlier) it looked like this:

First Doctor:

Fifth Doctor:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:28:37 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Doctor Who
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:54:02 AM »

Told you...  :whistle: :laugh:

It got repeated the other day, and one particular bit I thought was wonderful...
(click to show/hide)

Oh and his name is Wilf, as in short for Wilfred. ;)
(click to show/hide)

They give the Tardis a little tweak now and again. Never a lot of course, but I do like the new paintjob at the end of Series 5. Also, I like in Series 5 how it has more eccentric, rather pointless additions around the control panel, to match it's more eccentric Doctor owner. Of course the insides have changed rather dramatically over the years...

So you did.  :p  And I expected it as well. 

(click to show/hide)

Wilf..ok..I knew it was something like that.  I just couldn't remember for sure.

(click to show/hide)

New question tied to End of Time..that I forgot to ask before.
(click to show/hide)

Ok..I was thinking the Tardis probably had changed some but I wanted to ask.  I was thinking when I saw The Big Bang that it became a brighter blue, but I wasn't completely sure. 

Ohh...one more question.  What the heck is Darvos?  Or is it Davros?  I figured out he was a former enemy...and even Sarah Jane had faced him before..I picked up that much..and he designed the Daleks to begin with.  But...what was he?  Human?  Time Lord?  Some other alien race?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Doctor Who
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »
Who was the woman who showed up to Wilf?  If it said for sure, I missed it.  It looked like she was a Time Lord.  But what was her connection to the Doctor?  Was that his mother?  Former girlfriend?

Ohh...one more question.  What the heck is Darvos?  Or is it Davros?  I figured out he was a former enemy...and even Sarah Jane had faced him before..I picked up that much..and he designed the Daleks to begin with.  But...what was he?  Human?  Time Lord?  Some other alien race?

Which woman do you mean (at what time in the two-parter)?

Re: Davros: In the early days Doctor Who was told in a form of a mini-series. Each story comprised 4 to 6 episodes. The very second story (1963) led the First Doctor and his companions to a wasteland planet called Skaro. Many years earlier two nations had fought each other: The Kaleds and the Thals. The Kaleds created the Daleks (note the anagram) and "won" the war but they destroyed the whole planet in the process.

In 1975 the Time Lords send the Fourth Doctor - and his then-companion Sarah-Jane Smith - back to Skaro, back to to the still raging war. There they meet the real Kaleds and their scientist Davros who is about to create the Daleks.

Karsten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »
Ok..thank you.  :)  Darvos makes more sense to me now.  And from that picture you posted, it looks like he always looked about like that.

She was an older woman who appeared to Wilf a few different times.  Once was on the tv while Donna, her mother, and the guy she was engaged to were in the kitchen.  They did see her but Wilf did.  The woman said something about the Doctor..I can't remember what exactly now..she also asked Wilf if he had taken up arms before.
I think she appeared another time too, but I can't remember...while Wilf was still on Earth I mean.  Once Wilf and the Doctor were on the space ship with the green aliens - the ones Wilf called cactus - Wilf was off alone somewhere and the woman appeared again.  Talking about how the Doctor could still be saved..but he would need to take up arms or something like that.  After that conversation, Wilf went back to the Doctor..when he said he was trying to fix the heat.  Then Wilf started in trying to convince the Doctor to take the gun.  When the Time Lords came through that...umm...portal thing or whatever it was, the woman that appeared to Wilf, was there..she was kind of behind the one Timothy Dalton played..and she was covering her eyes.  Then she showed her face and the Doctor reacted.  So I figured he knew her..I just wondered if anyone knew who she was.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 01:46:32 AM »
Ah, that woman, now I remember.

From Wikipedia:

One of the two dissident Time Lords, described as "The Woman" in the credits, visits Wilfred on several occasions, appearing and disappearing in unexplained ways. When she lowers her arms to stare at the Tenth Doctor he appears to recognise her, but when later asked by Wilfred about her identity, the Doctor evades the question. British newspapers The Daily Telegraph and The Daily Mail identified the character as the Doctor's mother as early as April 2009.[8][9] Russell T. Davies wrote in an email to the author of The Writers Tale, "I like leaving it open, because then you can imagine what you want. I think the fans will say it's Romana. Or even the Rani. Some might say that it's Susan's mother, I suppose. But of course it’s meant to be the Doctor’s mother."[10]
Karsten