Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 20306 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »
Thank you.

I didn't think to try looking it up on Wikipedia yet.  

When I saw the show, when the Doctor saw her at the end, I thought it was his mother.
Romana....I think I remember reading something about her before..maybe.  Is she a former companion?  

Oh..I almost forgot to mention this...I got a Doctor Who book..one that tells a story not in the series - I still want some of the other books about the character.  I was in the bookstore a few days ago and saw a few, so I decided to check on Amazon.  I got one with rose.  The cover has Tennent on it.

Feast of the Drowned.  I'll look up the picture for the cover later.
If I like it, I'll probably get more of them.

And yes, this is Jon's fault too.  It is his fault I got hooked on the show, so therefore, any and all Doctor Who related purchases I make are his fault.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:48:55 AM by Dragonfire »

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
 :laugh:

The books go back years and years. I have a couple from the 70s I think, somewhere. There are even newer books written about old Doctors, because their personalities are somewhat different and a writer spots a hole in the canon he can fill, I suppose.

Oh by the way, there is also a film where Peter Cushing played him. It's terrible. He completely misjudged the character and played him as a doddery grandfather...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:58 PM »
Peter Cushing as the Doctor? Hmmm....ok.
That would be...different.

I did see that a movie that was made for the BBC sometime in the 1990s is going to be released on DVD in March or so.  I think I had read before that that movie had been an attempt to start the series again..and he was the eighth Doctor.  So the new show is the Doctor after that.  I think.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
Oh by the way, there is also a film where Peter Cushing played him. It's terrible. He completely misjudged the character and played him as a doddery grandfather...

Just to be pedantic - two films - Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966).
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:22 AM »
I don't have many episodes left to watch from the marathon last week.  I watched 3 more today...these with Amy.  The ones with the weeping Angels and then the one in Venice.  Vampires in Venice might be the title..I can't remember exactly at the moment. 

I'm still really enjoying the show.  I like Amy.  I also like the new stuff inside the TARDIS.  With the levels and stairs and stuff, it seems bigger than it was before.

River Song is an intriguing character....I'm not sure what I think about her yet.  There is just still so much mystery surrounding her.  I have a theory or two about just who she is to the Doctor in the future.  But who knows when we'll find that out. 
(click to show/hide)

I think I have about 3 more episodes to watch..though I didn't record all of season 5.  I was running out of room on my DVR.  And I still have the Christmas episode saved, so I'll watch that again too.  I still have a special about the show too..I think it is on the history of the series.  I decided to wait until after I was done with all the episodes before watching that. 
I have 4 episodes of Torchwood too...the first 4 from the first season.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:40 AM »
I have now watched all the episodes of Doctor Who on my DVR.  I even watched the special on the series as well.
It probably won't be long before I watch the first season DVD set I picked up.  Then I'll be wanting the rest of the seasons..lol

I did notice a few more little things when I watched some of the episodes in season 5 again.

Torchwood is now on every weekday...I've seen the first 2 episodes so far...still 2 more that I haven't seen on my DVR...the fifth episode is actually the first one I saw like a month or so ago.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
So you're going back and watching the old series? That use to scare me when I was a kid, particularly the Tom Baker episodes. Have fun!  ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 03:44:10 AM »
No..I meant the first season from when it restarted.  In 2005.
I did see some of old episodes years ago.  While I really had no idea what was going on with them, I did like them.  I've since figured out the ones I saw were with Tom Baker.  I remember that scarf.   :laugh:

I probably would watch the old episodes if I found them on...or found them on DVD.  And figured out the right order.   :laugh:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 03:51:21 AM »
I remember that scarf.   :laugh:

I probably would watch the old episodes if I found them on...or found them on DVD.  And figured out the right order.   :laugh:

You'll have no trouble finding the DVDs in Australia; they are everywhere, due to the massive fan base that exists here.

I've never been a fan but that I think the image of that scarf has been burnt into the memories of millions.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 03:56:44 AM »
The new series really is good.  And the Doctor hasn't worn a scarf. 
The current Doctor wears a bow tie.  He attempted to add a fez to his outfit, but was over ruled.   :laugh:

Let me see if I remember how that exchange went...

River - What in the name of sanity is that on your head?
Doctor - It's a fez. I wear a fez now.  Fezes are cool.
River then takes the fez, throws it up in the air and shoots it with her futuristic gun.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 04:05:54 AM »
:laugh: You know when you're a real fan when you started quoting lines of dialog to non-fans, but that is pretty funny. If you keep that up I'll probably find myself watching it and then go bankrupt from buying all the DVDs.  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »
Resistance if futile.
You know you want to watch it. :D
And once you do, you can join me in blaming Jon.  It's his fault I got hooked...so therefore, it is his fault for anyone else I convert. ;)

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
Nah I think I'll just blame you.  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »
 :hysterical:

Well the Doctor is worth it.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 04:47:59 AM »
A friend of mine here at work has all the Doctor Who DVDs, new and old series. And I know he'll gladly let me borrow them. If he is in tomorrow I might request the first season. So it begins...  ;)