Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 863923 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My random reviews
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
I have ben time and again amazed by Pixar's ability to make compelling stories around subjects that don't really lend themselves to a great movie to start with...

While Toy Story, Monsters Inc. and Incredibles had still somewhat obvious choices, they also made movies about bugs, fish swimming about in the ocean, cars, a cooking rat and then a lonely robot! Leave it to them though, that by the end of it makes all complete sense and it actually doesn't matter that the film's protagonists are rather unusual...

Hope you all mean what I am trying to say here :bag:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

Title: Spider-Man 3
Year: 2007
Director: Sam Raimi
Rating: 12
Length: 134 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, English: PCM 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Czech: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Other, Polish, Romanian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Tobey Maguire
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Thomas Haden Church
Topher Grace

Plot:
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) has finally managed to strike a balance between his devotion to M.J. (Kirsten Dunst) and his duties as a superhero. But when his suit suddenly changes, turning jet-black and enhancing his powers, it also transforms Peter, bringing out a dark, vengeful side that he struggles to control. He must now battle his inner demons as two of the most-feared villains yet, Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) and Venom (Topher Grace), gather unparalleled power and a thirst for revenge which threatens Peter and everyone he loves.

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This movie had the potential to be so much more. Three villians which could probably carry a film each get reduced to some few minutes each. Also the sequences where Peter is possessed by the symbiont were ridiculous (going through the streets like an idiot, dancing like an idiot? Is this the aggressive Peter Parker?). This also parallels Superman 3, where Superman is affected by red kryptonite and has behaving unlike his usual self. And to think that there (one of the lesser Superman movies) it was even handled better than in such a critically highly praised franchise as the Spider-Man movies.
I also remember how the audience was laughing in the cinema where MJ breaks up with Peter, and Peter started crying. Of course this scene was not intended to be funny. And why do we have to have, just before the showdown, Spider-Man in front of a big American flag? Do the filmmakers still have no idea, that this may be received well to some of the American audiences, but outside of the USA it is just groan-worthy.

I hope the next Spider-Man movie is more balanced like the first two were.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I have ben time and again amazed by Pixar's ability to make compelling stories around subjects that don't really lend themselves to a great movie to start with...

While Toy Story, Monsters Inc. and Incredibles had still somewhat obvious choices, they also made movies about bugs, fish swimming about in the ocean, cars, a cooking rat and then a lonely robot! Leave it to them though, that by the end of it makes all complete sense and it actually doesn't matter that the film's protagonists are rather unusual...

Hope you all mean what I am trying to say here :bag:

Absolutely. And concerning the rat, I really liked what I read in a review (probably Empire), that they even made him bonkers like any classic Parisian artist. It's one thing to revolve the story around cooking and use a rat, but to then make him a tortured outsider is just brilliant.

It may sound silly, but I think that Pixar are the best and most consistent film studio currently in operation. Everything they touch turns to gold.

Have you seen the teasers for Up? That also looks sublime. When are they going to hit the wall? :bow:

Najemikon

« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
This movie had the potential to be so much more. Three villians which could probably carry a film each get reduced to some few minutes each. Also the sequences where Peter is possessed by the symbiont were ridiculous (going through the streets like an idiot, dancing like an idiot? Is this the aggressive Peter Parker?). This also parallels Superman 3, where Superman is affected by red kryptonite and has behaving unlike his usual self. And to think that there (one of the lesser Superman movies) it was even handled better than in such a critically highly praised franchise as the Spider-Man movies.
I also remember how the audience was laughing in the cinema where MJ breaks up with Peter, and Peter started crying. Of course this scene was not intended to be funny. And why do we have to have, just before the showdown, Spider-Man in front of a big American flag? Do the filmmakers still have no idea, that this may be received well to some of the American audiences, but outside of the USA it is just groan-worthy.

Raimi apparently hated the alien costume and it shows right from the start. Squandered and then rushed, it could so easily have been a two film arc while concentrating on Sandman in this one. But that's only half the excuse for such a complete mess. There is so much wrong with this film, but I think the first was linking Sandman to Ben. Peter's guilt was such a challenging theme for a mainstream blockbuster that to undermine it now is like making Han Solo shoot last. Oh yeah, and Harry's story should have been treated better too. Just awful.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »

Title: Iron Man
Year: 2008
Director: Jon Favreau
Rating: 12
Length: 126 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Italian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Robert Downey Jr.
Terrence Howard
Jeff Bridges
Gwyneth Paltrow
Leslie Bibb

Plot:
Lift off with high-speed, high-flying action in this Ultimate 2-disc Edition that takes you inside the suit of Marvel's invincible Super Hero for the ultimate Iron Man experience!

After surviving an unexpected attack in enemy territory, jet-setting industrialist Tony Stark builds a high-tech suit of armour and vows to protect the world as Iron Man. Straight from the pages of the legendary comic book is a hero who is built - not born - to be unlike any other!

Extras:
BD-Live
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Photo Gallery
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
Another cool superhero movie. Before I have first seen this movie, I only ever heard that there is a superhero called Iron Man, but I had never read any comics or seen any animation series with him. But I enjoyed this movie a lot. My only gripe at first was his imprisonment, where he build his first suit and in all the three months he was there, the captors never noticed that he was not working on their rockets but on something else. But after watching it, I read some stuff on Wikipedia about Iron Man, and it seems they stayed true to the comic's origin story, so I won't hold it against the movie.
Robert Downey Jr. plays the part of Tony Stark very well. I mainly knew him from his leading part of the romantic comedy "Only You" before this.
Also Jeff Bridges was hardly recognizable. He looks so much different than his other role I know him from: The Dude. But I recognized his voice instantly, when I have first seen this movie (I didn't know then, who exactly was in this movie. I didn't research beforehand. I only knew of Robert Downey Jr.).
Can't wait for the sequel!

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2009, 10:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the review Tom... I am looking forward to mine coming. I used to watch the comics all the time... but never really checked out the comics that much.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
I've Just saw the first two (I even have them  :bag:) and they were so awfull that nothing would have made me watch the third one. By your review it seems that I've miss nothing....

But seriously a fourth one... He will fight who? The Nuclear Man  :shrug:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
I've Just saw the first two (I even have them  :bag:) and they were so awfull that nothing would have made me watch the third one.

Sounds more like such kind of movies in general are not for you ;)
Spider-Man 1+2 were good superhero movies, in my opinion.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »
I agree... the first 2 were really good. I even enjoyed the 3rd one myself... though it was definitely lacking. The main thing I didn't care for on the Spider-Man movies was so many people seeing him without his mask on.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »
But seriously a fourth one... He will fight who? The Nuclear Man  :shrug:

Eh? The comic has been running since the 60s! They have loads of options and Spidey always had interesting villains.

I've just been reading an interview with Raimi where he said he's interested in using Morbius The Living Vampire, which might be interesting given his horror background. Then there is The Lizard who is already in the first two (the one-armed Dr. Connors). The Vulture has been mentioned as a possible as well, but I'd like to see a twist on the hunter character (Kraken, I think his name was). They should also draw a line under Mary-Jane and break out the Black Cat!  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
all those characters sounds good to me... and I am sure you won't be surprised... but I would especially like to see Morbius!  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2009, 03:07:18 AM »
I liked the first two Spider-Man movies..the third was ok too, but not as good.  I thought they crammed a bit too much in, especially as far as Venom was concerned.  There wasn't enough time to fully develop that aspect of the story.  I've always thought it would have been better to save Venom for a fourth movie..let the black suit stuff go on as set up..but not have Venom pop up until a different movie so there would be more of a story with that.  I did read more than once that Raimi didn't want Venom in the movie but the studio insisted because he's been such a popular character.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2009, 04:00:35 AM »
Sounds more like such kind of movies in general are not for you ;)
I like some super hero movie. I don't like only obscure and weird stuff  :laugh:
By exemple I really like the first 2 Superman, Supergirl and the Roger Corman's Fantastic Four. It's just that I find that Spider Man is too wimpy in those movies, this is not the hero I remember from the comic I've read when I was young (maybe I'm wrong and he was really like that in the comic too  :shrug:).

By the way I would be the first in line to see a Captain America (my favourite super hero) movie, even buy the old Albert Puyn (?) one if it would be available.

Eh? The comic has been running since the 60s! They have loads of options and Spidey always had interesting villains.

It was a miss reference to Superman 4, because Tom had made a reference to the third one in his review . I know that a lot of ennemies are available for many other movies  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »

It was a miss reference to Superman 4, because Tom had made a reference to the third one in his review . I know that a lot of ennemies are available for many other movies  :laugh:

:slaphead:

Sorry. I did wonder why you said "Nuclear Man"... :bag:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »

Title: Daredevil: Director's Cut
Year: 2003
Director: Mark Steven Johnson
Rating: R
Length: 133 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Ben Affleck
Jennifer Garner
Colin Farrell
Michael Clarke Duncan
Jon Favreau

Plot:
Take the dare as never before with this all-new Director's Cut version of Daredevil. Grittier and edgier than the original theatrical release, Daredevil Director's Cut is packed with never-before-available scenes, including a devilish subplot in which Matt Murdock (Ben Affleck) agrees to defend a not-so-innocent man (Coolio) framed for murder. This is the definitive Daredevil — more thrilling, more amazing, and more daring than ever!

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Featurettes
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
With Pete talking about Daredevil, I got in the mood to watch this movie again (it has been awhile).
Sadly, the studio decided to cut out a complete subplot of the movie, rearrange some scenes and force a love scene into the movie. The result was a mess of a movie, which did not make any sense at all. This director's cut fixes this. Now it makes sense again. If they would have released this version (even if it as 30 minutes longer), I think the movie wouldn't have such a bad reputation!

Besides fixing the big plot holes of the theatrical version, it deepens the relationships between the characters: Matt and his father, Matt and Elektra, Matt and Ben Urich, Matt and his lawyer partner (played by Jon Favreau, who will always be Pete Becker from "Friends" for me, but nowadays a bigshot director (Elf, Iron Man))
Also the subplot, besides sheding new light into the plot of the movie, provides more scenes for Matt Murdock out of his costume. In the theatrical version this came much too short.

Michael Clarke Duncan was a great casting choice to be the Kingpin. I know, that a lot of purist do not think so, as he is an African-American, which the Kingpin of the comics was not. But I think he fits perfectly. Kingpin is supposed to be a big fellow who's big build is thanks to his muscles. And that Michael Clarke Duncan can provide.

Before this movie, I didn't know much about Daredevil. I must confess, I have never really read a superhero comic. So most things I know of the superheroes is from movies and TV, and some Wikipedia research after I watched such a movie.

Rating: