Author Topic: Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
I am now almost half way through the third season and begin to wonder why they make Veronica so unlikable? So the viewers would part easier at the end of the season...? :headscratch:

I am still enjoying it about half of the time. Some of the case-of-the-weeks are quite alright and loads of the dialog is still very witty and enjoyable. But boy, V. has become a b@#$. Not for doing what she does (towards father and boyfriend), but definitely for how she does it.

Well, no spoilers please. I hope they are just digging her a hole she can crawl out of later on, once she fell of her high horse into it.

Season 2 had its ups and downs as well, but I was always compelled to keep watching. Season 3 is slightly more of an effort to go through. :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
Well, no spoilers please. I hope they are just digging her a hole she can crawl out of later on, once she fell of her high horse into it.

(click to show/hide)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »

(click to show/hide)
Of course I had to read :bag:

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Basically...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Basically...
Can't be much worse than SOAP.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Basically...
Can't be much worse than SOAP.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

PS: What is SOAP?
Karsten

MEJHarrison

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
I am now almost half way through the third season and begin to wonder why they make Veronica so unlikable? So the viewers would part easier at the end of the season...? :headscratch:

I just finished this a month or two back and I totally agree.  It was shocking how unlikeable they made her. :stars:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:13:15 AM »
PS: What is SOAP?
It's a spoof on actual soap series. Lasted for three seasons and has, among others, Billy Crystal, Robert/Richard(?) Mulligan and Katherine Helmod in it. They show is verysilly,yet hasanincrediblemix of funny moments and dramatic scenes. :thumbup:

See here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »
I have now completed watching season 3. Turns out I found my concerns to have been wrong.

Only the first two discs were as bad as I previously described and basically as soon as the college rape case was solved Veronica became "normal" again. Solving the crime of the second multi-story arc was actually very good. Her strange behavior during the rape case was probably done on purpose, doesn't mean I have to like it. Only the last episode had some developments again I didn'tz enjoy as much, mainly involving Logan this time (at first it was o.k., then they pushed it too far). Of the three seasons this was the strongest cliffhanger and I actually quite liked the actual ending (walking off into the rain with that particular song).

On the 6th disc of the set is the "pitch reel"(?) forSeason 4. Cool idea, it seems, would have liked to see that. Wonder if gthey would have ignored the cliffhanger of season 3 and just have it quickly explained within the first episode of the 4th season.

Of course, Karsten and Mark, now I wonder whether you agree with my updated assessment or if the thrid season did actually not "recover" for you.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I don't remember the third season all that much. I only remeber the early parts (with that assistant prof) and the end where she goes against that secret society and ruins her father's run for Sheriff.
Karsten

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
I consider S2 the weakest. S3 did recover a bit, but S1 remains my favorite.

Only the last episode had some developments again I didn'tz enjoy as much, mainly involving Logan this time (at first it was o.k., then they pushed it too far).

I wasn't too fond of the entire Castle thing, but I did like how they ended things with Logan (that cafeteria scene).
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
I consider S2 the weakest. S3 did recover a bit, but S1 remains my favorite.
I am not sure whether I'd prefer the second half of S3 over S2, maybe. The first half of S3 (E1-E8) was definitely the worst to me.

Only the last episode had some developments again I didn'tz enjoy as much, mainly involving Logan this time (at first it was o.k., then they pushed it too far).

I wasn't too fond of the entire Castle thing
Having seen several of this types of films 15 to 20 years ago, I have to agree here. IN that respect the idea of setting S4 4 years in the future really appealed to me. Too bad it never happened.

but I did like how they ended things with Logan (that cafeteria scene).
Obviously something I referred to as not liking in my post. I had a bit of a problem with logan beating up that Russian guy against Veronica's wish, like "let's do this because it's fun". I did, however, very much appreciate that he did apologize to Piz.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
but I did like how they ended things with Logan (that cafeteria scene).
Obviously something I referred to as not liking in my post. I had a bit of a problem with logan beating up that Russian guy against Veronica's wish, like "let's do this because it's fun". I did, however, very much appreciate that he did apologize to Piz.

I never got the impression that was just for fun, on the contrary, he was deadly serious. That guy scared Veronica, which made Logan see even more red than he usually did when it came to Veronica. Remember, he beat up Piz before because of her and he smashed a police car to get in the cell with Mercer. The apology to Piz was great too, and Piz realized in that moment that he was the odd man out.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 06:33:44 AM »
Of course he was serious, bad choice of word on my part. I still feel it was pushed too far, especially as he already realized that he was wrong with Piz.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
I am not sure whether I'd prefer the second half of S3 over S2, maybe. The first half of S3 (E1-E8) was definitely the worst to me.

If I look at my episode ratings, only 3x02 sticks out of that batch as a bit sub-par (the "sociology" experiment). There are also a couple of mid-season episodes that fall into that category. The one that continously dropped in ratings to almost unwatchable on repeat viewings was 3x18 (with the kid soldier). I'm sure they meant well, but that was just... urgh.  :yawn:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:57:56 AM by goodguy »
Matthias