Author Topic: Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season  (Read 8974 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:40:28 AM »
After hearing how good Veronica Mars was, I finally got the DVD sets.  So far I have just watched the first season, though I think I'll get to the second season before too long.

The show is really entertaining and I'm glad that I decided to pick up the DVD sets for the show.  I liked how the things tied to Lilly Kane's murder are first introduced and then continue to pop up throughout the season why Veronica tries to solve the case.  I also really liked all the smaller mysteries that Veronica deals with in the episodes.  The different story elements work together very well to make an entertaining show.  I was really surprised by a few things that come up during the season.  The story is very compelling and interesting and is resolved in a believable way by the end of the season.  The characters are complex without being either all good or all bad.  That does make them more interesting and believable.  Some of them seem to be huge jerks and they start showing that they have a decent side as well.  Veronica has some flaws as well, and I think that works for the character.

I loved the first season of the show.  I was disappointed that there weren't more extras on the DVD set, but I'm still glad I have the show. 

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions.

Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Veronica Mars - The Complete First Season
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
I was disappointed that there weren't more extras on the DVD set...

I remember that Rob Thomas made an audio commentary for the pilot available online somewhere. Don't remember the link though, and I'm not sure if it still exists.
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
Glad you enjoyed this so much Marie!  :thumbup:

I been having the urge to watch the show again myself. If I ain't mistaken I already did an episode by episode review for all 3 seasons.So there probably won't be no need to do it again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
I just checked... and what do you know... I never reviewed season 3!
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:27:18 AM »
I know I recently complained elsewhere on this site about season 3 of Veronica Mars.  I didn't think much of it the first time around.  But I just finished watching it a couple days back and must say that my opinion of it has really changed.  I enjoyed it much more this time around.  But that's how it usually works for me.  If I'm disappointed by something because of high expectations, I tend to enjoy revisiting it later with realistic expectations.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
Yeah... this has happened to me before too. I just started season 3 last night for my review thread... and I must say I am really enjoying it already!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »
I bought all three seasons in fall 2008. Already then the series had received so much love on this forum, I thought I couldn't go wrong. Out of the blue I decided to start watching it today; ended up going through the first disc in one sitting (not something I normally do on 1-hour shows).

I find this show absolutely amazing. On the surface it's all fluff; mind you, great fluff. I mean, it's good solid entertainment. The 45 minutes pass at great speed and each episode (so far) ends without drag. However, what got me hooked that they throw in some cool themes in it too! Like teenage drug abuse, teenage rape, sex change; all that so far in the first 4 episodes. And again with the fluff. I mean, sometimes I found it to just move along, with me not being concerned about plot at all. :headscratch:

They also throw in some stylish stuff occasionally. I don't just mean the flashbacks with the washed out colors, but also those scenes where Veronica is shown all slow while everyone else is speed up.

I like how they throw in a case of the week, but are not always overly concerned with it. The cases usually solve themselves. Then there is the overall arc, which is not really handled through plot, it's just here (again:) :headscratch: (but in a good way). It feels rather clear (given the type and character of show) where it's headed, but I'd love them to prove me wrong. The strangest thing is, it feels a bit like Dexter, the way they spread out arc versus case of the week.

I guess what I am trying to say is: I love the show and don't really know why :laugh:

Thanks to all of those who "recommended" it and made me buy this series. :thumbup:

EDIT:
Just checked wit DVD Profiler and finally realized where I had seen Enrico Colantoni before :slaphead:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:48:33 PM by Achim »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
I finished up the first season yesterday. I have two main issues with the second half of the season:

I thought Veronica was occasionally a little too full of herself, getting way too cocky and self conscious and started to proceed with somewhat questionable ways. I understand she's 17, but but the way she proceeds to do dangerous things time and again despite her father's warnings had me annoyed more than once.

Lilly's killer. I mean, seriously?
(click to show/hide)

At to watch the first episode of season 2 right away, just to see how certain things panned out... Cool season starter! Only the über-slow reveal of the boyfriend was a bit overdone.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »
I did think that Veronica made some...questionable decisions and leaps of logic..and rushed into some situations. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
I did think that Veronica made some...questionable decisions and leaps of logic..and rushed into some situations. 
Yes!

I didn't like that she was basically cheating the other girl who was about to receive a lot of money, trying to make her help, which would have resulted in the loss of that money!

In the last two episodes she seemed to run from person to person, always with a "I know something" attitude, getting a new piece of information every time, without verifying any of it. No wonder she hurt so many people along the way.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
That's true.  It would have been better if she had tried to verify some things before rushing into accusations and situations.  And she does have a bit of an attitude every so often.  Though that does show that she has some flaws, which makes her a more believable character than if she always did everything perfect. 

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
I finished up the first season yesterday. I have two main issues with the second half of the season:

I thought Veronica was occasionally a little too full of herself...

It's been a while, but I liked cocky and self-assured Veronica. If anything, they seemed to tone her down a little in the second half or at least counter her attitude with less morally questionable characters. That development annoyed me a little. Also, there are a few rather weak episodes in the second half (Bling, Mars vs Mars, MAD).

Lilly's killer. I mean, seriously?
(click to show/hide)

There are actually a lot of clues throughout the season. But I won't pretend that I recognized them on first viewing.
Matthias

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »

And in the end that's going to bite her in her lower back...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »
There are actually a lot of clues throughout the season. But I won't pretend that I recognized them on first viewing.
:hmmmm: That sounds interesting. Although I am not sure just how soon I will rewatch all 15 hours of this...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
I did think there were a clues that popped up throughout the season.  Some things I didn't catch but remembered later and a few other things I thought were clues, though I didn't figure out the significance of them. 

And I do like Veronica as a character overall.  I just think she didn't always stop and think as much as she should have before acting.