Author Topic: Tom's Random Star Trek Reviews  (Read 41133 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Star Trek Reviews
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
VOY 3.24 Displaced
Writer: Lisa Klink (Writer)
Director: Allan Kroeker
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres), Jennifer Lien (Kes), Robert Duncan McNeill (Lieutenant Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Lieutenant Tuvok), Garrett Wang (Ensign Harry Kim), Kenneth Tigar (Dammar), Mark L. Taylor (Jarlath), James Noah (Rislan), Nancy Youngblut (Taleen), Deborah Levin (Ensign Lang), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

The Voyager crew is slowly replaced by aliens one-by-one. The aliens pretend that they do not know what is going on and that some third-party is doing the replacing. When the Voyager crew finds out that this is all a ruse, it is too late.
Nice idea for an episode and I always enjoyed this one.

P/T moments:
Tom and B'Elanna fight and make up.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:53 AM »
VOY 3.25 Worst Case Scenario
Writer: Kenneth Biller (Writer)
Director: Alexander Singer
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Commander Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres), Jennifer Lien (Kes), Robert Duncan McNeill (Lieutenant Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Lieutenant Tuvok), Garrett Wang (Ensign Harry Kim), Martha Hackett (Seska), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

B'Elanna stumbles upon a holo-novel about a mutiny lead by Chakotay. As it turns out, it was created by Tuvok, but never finished. When he and Tom try to continue writing it, they find out that Seska had finished it for them and there are now trapped in the holo-novel fighting for their lives.
I like how in the beginning of this episode this holo-novel chatches on with the crew.
And it shows, that similar to the viewers, also Tuvok couldn't believe that the integration of the Maquis crew into Voyager went as smooth as it actually did ;)

P/T moment:
Tom proposes to write in a love affair between the helm's man and the chief engineer :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »
VOY 4.03 Day of Honor
Writer: Jeri Taylor (Writer)
Director: Jesús Salvador Treviño
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Alexander Enberg (Ensign Vorik), Alan Altshuld (Lumas), Michael A. Krawic (Rhamin), Kevin P. Stillwell (Moklor), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

This is the second big P/T episode. Voyager must dump its warp core (I think this was the first time ever, that we actually saw the warp core eject from the ship on-screen in any Star Trek series). B'Elanna and Tom take a shuttle to get the core back, but are left stranded in environment suits with not much oxygen left. This leads to some heart-to-heart and a love confession by B'Elanna shortly before they would have died if Voyager hadn't shown up in the nick of time.
Although I like this episode and the P/T moments, it was much too sudden. They slowly built up the relationship during season three, and in the first episode in season 4 with P/T content they suddenly get together. Originally it was planned to continue slowly building up that relationship in season 4, but when Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna) became pregnant in real life, they decided to get Tom and B'Elanna together before the actress started showing.

P/T moments: About half of the episode, but the most important is of course the last scene.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
VOY 4.05 Revulsion
Writer: Lisa Klink (Writer)
Director: Kenneth Biller
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Leland Orser (Dejaren)

B'Elanna and the doctor encounter a psychotic hologram. I always enjoyed this episode. The whiny voice of the guest star always was fun to me. It has always reminded me of Jonathan Slavin (Byron from "Andy Richter Controls the Universe"), who at the time I knew from the short-lived sitcom Union Square. It is a similar voice as Tom Lenk (Andrew on Buffy) has.

P/T moment:
This episode contains my favorite P/T moment of the entire series. It is the scene where Tom confronts B'Elanna about her love confession.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:12 PM »
VOY 4.07 Scientific Method
Writer: Lisa Klink (Screenwriter), Sherry Klein (Original Material By), Harry Doc. Kloor (Original Material By)
Director: David Livingston
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Rosemary Forsyth (Alzen), Annette Helde (Takar)

Aliens make scientific experiments on the crew without their knowledge. Janeway is even grumpier than usual. Chakotay and Neelix mutate which makes a fun talk between those two about their new disabilites. Tom and B'Elanna act like hormonal teenager and use every chance they get to make out during their duty shifts.

P/T moments:
Some making out scenes, followed by chewing out by the captain.
May favorite P/T scene in this episode is the one where they discuss how they should enter the briefing room.

The final scene offers a possible explanation why the sudden change of their relationship a few episodes back.

From now on the P/T relationship takes a back seat for the next three seasons. They are still P/T moments, but I will skip straight to season 7 where we finally get again some great P/T episodes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »
VOY 7.03 Drive
Writer: Michael Taylor (Writer)
Director: Winrich Kolbe
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Cyia Batten (Irina), Brian George (O'Zaal), Patrick Kilpatrick (Assan), Robert Tyler (Joxom), Chris Covics (Assistant), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

In the final season of Voyager, they finally put more focus on the P/T relationship again.

B'Elanna asks herself the same question as I as a viewer did: It has been three years since the P/T relationship began, but why was there hardly any progress at all?
In this episode Tom takes on a race challenge, forgetting about a romantic getaway B'Elanna had planned. This starts B'Elanna thinking, if it wouldn't be best to break off the relationship.
During the course of the episode, they talk their problems out, Tom proves that his first priority is with her, and they get married.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
VOY 7.11. Lineage
Writer: James Kahn (Writer)
Director: Peter Lauritson
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Manu Intiraymi (Icheb), Juan Garcia (John Torres), Jessica Gaona (Young B'Elanna), Javier Grajeda (Carl), Paul Robert Langdon (Dean), Nicole Sarah Fellows (Elizabeth), Gilbert R. Leal (Michael), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

The first full-blown P/T episode without any "Voyager is in danger" side-story detracting from the character-driven plot.
B'Elanna and Tom learn that they are expecting a baby. The beginning of the episode is about the reactions from the crew and of course the reaction from Tom and B'Elanna. The story then focuses on B'Elanna's fear about the child's mixed heritage. Through flashbacks we see a camping trip with her father from her childhood, and how her father left soon after because living with two Klingons was too hard on him. B'Elanna fears that the same will happen with Tom and so she wants to have the Klingon genetic trademarks removed from here baby, even going so far to reprogram the doctor to go along with it. Tom can convince her that he is nothing like her father just in time.
It is really nice to see that they can write an entire episode about this relationship, and address a fear of B'Elanna's which was mentioned throughout the series, without moving it to a B-story of a standard Voyager episode.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
VOY 7.19 Author, Author
Writer: Phyllis Strong (Screenwriter), Mike Sussman (Screenwriter), Brannon Braga (Original Material By)
Director: David Livingston
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Richard Herd (Admiral Paris), Barry Gordon (Broht), Joseph Campanella (Arbitrator), Lorinne Vozoff (Irene Hansen), Juan Garcia (John Torres), Robert Ito (John Kim), Irene Tsu (Mary Kim), Dwight Schultz (Barclay), Brock Burnett (Male N.D.), Jennifer Hammon (Female N.D.), Heather Young (Sickbay N.D.), Majel Barrett (Computer Voice (voice))

This episode starts out as pure fun, with a new holonovel the doctor has written about his life. He based the novel on Voyager and its crew, but very out-of-character of all involved (it could almost count as an Voyager mirror-universe episode. Tuvok even has a beard like the evil Spock :laugh: ). Though I must say, that the portrayed Janeway is not too far from the truth in my opinion ;)
Towards the end this episode becomes Voyager's "The Measure of a Man" episode (a TNG episode which is about Data's rights as a person). A trial begins, if the doctor has a right on his novel like a normal person. In the end it is decided, that the doctor has the rights as an artist, but they didn't want yet to decide on the fact if he should be considered a person in general. This is a question which is left unanswered in Voyager.

P/T moment:
One story-line in this episode is about the crew being able to have real-time communication with the Alpha Quadrant and thus their families for the first time.
B'Elanna and Tom are talking to her father, who wants to make amends.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
VOY 7.24 Endgame
Writer: Kenneth Biller (Screenwriter), Robert Doherty (Screenwriter), Rick Berman (Original Material By), Kenneth Biller (Original Material By), Brannon Braga (Original Material By)
Director: Allan Kroeker
Cast: Kate Mulgrew (Captain Kathryn Janeway), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Garrett Wang (Harry Kim), Dwight Schultz (Barclay), Richard Herd (Admiral Paris), Vaughn Armstrong (Korath), Manu Intiraymi (Icheb), Lisa Locicero (Miral Paris), Miguel Perez (Physician), Grant Garrison (Cadet), Alice Krige (Borg Queen), Amy Lindsay (Lana), Matthew James Williamson (Klingon), Joey Sakata (Engineering N.D.), Richard Sarstedt (Star Fleet Admiral), Iris Bahr (Female Cadet), Ashley Sierra Hughes (Sabrina), Majel Barrett (Compute Voice (voice))

Voyager gets home with the help from a future Janeway. It is a nice enough final episode for Voyager. Nice to see a possible future, where Voyager did take another 16 years to get home.
What I missing is some kind of coda, where we see what happens to the crew, now that they are back home. We get some idea through some dialog, but I think it could have easily filled up half a season to explore this topic. For example, what happens to the doctor? How will he come to be recognized as a person?
I think to show the alternate future was in some way a good idea to give some hints about their future lives (at least for the ones who did make it home in that timeline).

P/T moments:
The birth of their daughter for once. Then you also see them still happily married in the alternate future. Also Tom refusing Harry's idea for a dangerous mission to explore the possibility to get home on the grounds, that it's too dangerous for him as a husband and father-to-be and that he is already home, is a nice touch.
This concludes the P/T marathon.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »
TNG 1.01 Encounter at Farpoint
Writer: J. Michael Bingham (Screenwriter), John D. F. Black (Original Material By), J. Michael Bingham (Original Material By)
Director: Paul Lynch
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Captain Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Commander William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Geordi La Forge), Denise Crosby (Lt. Tasha Yar), Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf), Gates McFadden (Doctor Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), John de Lancie (Q), Michael Bell (Zorn), DeForest Kelley (Admiral McCoy), Colm Meaney (Battle Bridge Conn), Cary-Hiroyuki (Mandarin Bailiff), Timothy Dang (Main Bridge Security), David Erskine (Bandi Shopkeeper), Evelyn Guerrero (Young Female Ensign), Chuck Hicks (Military Officer), Jimmy Ortega (Torres)

I decided to do a Q marathon next. The start makes the pilot episode of Star Trek TNG.
This episode introduces the crew, which in retrospect it fails at, as the characters are very different compared to later on in this series. Picard is a grumpy old man. Tasha Yar is portrayed as a very incompetent security chief. Worf is really stupid (he even almost destroyed the view screen, because he wanted to shoot something appearing on it :laugh: ).

I find it strange that the crew obviously came together without knowing who else will be on that ship. Even the captain didn't know. Riker and Troi are surprised to meet each other again. Picard even asks Crusher to leave again after he finds out that she has now the position of the chief medical officer.

Q is ultimately what gives this episode somewhat of a rewatch value. Especially because his storyline will bookend this series in the final episode of TNG. What I have read, he only was integrated into the story, after the pilot had be padded when the studio asked to make a 90 minute pilot movie instead of the planned 45 minute pilot episode.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
TNG 1.10 Hide and Q
Writer: Tracy Tormé (Writer)
Director: Joseph L. Scanlan
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Captain Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Commander William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Geordi La Forge), Denise Crosby (Lt. Tasha Yar), Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf), Gates McFadden (Doctor Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), John de Lancie (Q), Elaine Nalee (Klingon Survivor), William A. Wallace (Wesley (25 years old))

Probably my least favorite TNG Q episode. Though I like all scenes with Q onboard of the Enterprise (especially his interactions with Picard), I do not like the stuff on the planet. Also this episode has some really ridiculous scenes, like Tasha Yar crying because Q send her into the "penalty box" and Picard comforting her with his "now we have a new rule: The chief of security is allowed to cry if she is in the penalty box"-speech.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
TNG 2.16 Q Who?
Writer: Maurice Hurley (Writer)
Director: Rob Bowman
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Geordi La Forge), Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher), John deLancie (Q), Lycia Naff (Ensign Sonya Gomez), Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien), Whoopi Goldberg (Guinan)

This episode introduces us to the Borg. Here Q is much more like the Q we know and love.
The Borg become the best villains of TNG. Sadly they are done to death in Voyager later on.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
The next Q episode I will skip as I already have reviewed it recently.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
TNG 4.20 QPid
Writer: Ira Steven Behr (Screenwriter), Randee Russell (Original Material By), Ira Steven Behr (Original Material By)
Director: Cliff Bole
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Worf), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Jennifer Hetrick (Vash), Clive Revill (Sir Guy), John de Lancie (Q), Joi Staton (Servant)

In this episode Q seems more like a prankster. I like the beginning of the episode, where the crew gets to know Vash and that the captain seemed to have had more fun at his last vacation than he let on.
But once they were are in Q's recreation Sherwood Forrest, this episode becomes boring and slightly ridiculous. There are some fun moments though like Worf trashing Geordi's instrument or his "I am not a merry man!" proclamation.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
TNG 6.06 True Q
Writer: René Echevarria (Writer)
Director: Robert Scheerer
Cast: Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean-Luc Picard), Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. William Riker), LeVar Burton (Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Worf), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lt. Commander Data), Olivia D'Abo (Amanda), John P. Connolly (Lote), John de Lancie (Q)

Though this episode is mostly about Amanda, a guest character, without much involvement of the core cast, I always liked this episode.
This episode shows a much more serious side of Q than the previous episodes. There is hardly any banter between him and the Enterprise crew. But I liked it, when he changed Dr. Crusher into a dog while she was arguing with him :)

Rating: