Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 141827 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #975 on: July 31, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Well .. as it will probably add to your dred ... I love Howard the Duck.  I think it got a really bad rap being related to Lucas.  Shortly after "Return of the Jedi" and "Temple of Doom" <groan> I think the wrong things were expected.  So you are been warned ... I like it  :thumbup:
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
I liked it, too. Maybe because I never read the comics, so I came with no preconceived notions. And it has Lea Thompson! What's not to like...?  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 31, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
good to know... the only thing I know of this one is reviews I have read.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 31, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »
The problem with this film is the fact that Howard the Duck wasn't a kid comic book (seriously even if this is an alien duck the content was for a mature audience) and the film is filled with lame jokes for two years old  and lame wordplays. This is why the film had a bad reputation like every comic book adaptation who doesn't respect his source materials or the target audience.

But you get a young Lea Thompson so it's better than nothing I guess :shrug:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 01, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »
"Temple of Doom" <groan>
I like Temple of Doom :shrug:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
"Temple of Doom" <groan>
I like Temple of Doom :shrug:
Actually ... i do too .. but i will never admit it <G>
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:09 AM »
 :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
A friend put these in the mail for me yesterday.... so should be here early next week...

Hotel Transylvania
| Year: 2012 | 91 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Welcome to Hotel Transylvania, Dracula's lavish five-stake resort, where monsters and their families can live it up and no humans are allowed. One special weekend, Dracula (Adam Sandler) has invited all his best friends - Frankenstein and his wife, the Mummy, the Invisible Man, the Werewolf family, and more - to celebrate his beloved daughter Mavis's (Selena Gomez) 118th birthday. For Dracula catering to all of these legendary monsters is no problem but the party really starts when one ordinary guy stumbles into the hotel and changes everything!

The Secret of Kells
| Year: 2009 | 79 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Magic, fantasy and Celtic mythology come together in a riot of color and detail that dazzle the eyes in a sweeping story about the power of imagination and faith to carry humanity through dark times.

In a remote medieval outpost of Ireland, young Brendan embarks on a new life of adventure when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying a book brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?

Gnomeo & Juliet
| Year: 2011 | 120 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

From a director of Shrek 2 comes your chance to step into the secret world of garden gnomes – Gnomeo & Juliet. Perfect for the whole family, this fresh and funny makeover of one of the world's most timeless stories features music from Sir Elton John, and the voice talents of Emily Blunt, James McAvoy and Sir Michael Caine. Caught up in a feud between neighbors, Gnomeo and Juliet must overcome as many obstacles as their namesakes. But with flamboyant pink flamingos and epic lawnmower races, can this young couple find lasting happiness? Complete with hilarious never-before-seen bonus features, Gnomeo & Juliet is an out-of-the-ordinary animated comedy your entire family will love. We just gnome it!

A Cat in Paris
| Year: 2010 | 64 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

The Academy Award®-nominated A CAT IN PARIS is a beautifully hand-drawn caper set in the shadow-drenched alleyways of Paris. Dino is a cat that leads a double life. By day he lives with Zoë, a little girl whose mother is a detective in the Parisian police force. But at night Dino sneaks out the window to work with Nico–a slinky cat burglar with a big heart, whose fluid movements are poetry in motion as he evades captors and slips and swishes from rooftop to rooftop across the Paris skyline. A CAT IN PARIS is a delightful animated adventure perfect for both adults and children–a witty and stylish "animated noir" with a jazzy soundtrack featuring Billie Holiday and a thrilling climax on top of Notre Dame cathedral.

Featuring the voices of Academy Award® winner Marcia Gay Harden (Mystic River), Academy Award® winner Anjelica Huston (The Royal Tenenbaums) and Matthew Modine (Full Metal Jacket).
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #983 on: August 04, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
I like Howard the Duck too.  It has problems..there is no denying that, but I find it entertaining.
From what I've read after seeing the movie, it is nothing like the original comics.  It is like they were trying to aim at kids with some of the stuff, but still with some of the adult themes in there - Playduck and things of that nature.  It is...odd.  But I like that at times.

I like Temple of Doom too.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 06, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »
I watched Temple of Doom on Sunday. I noticed its problems more than in the past (Kate Capshaw's character is really highly annoying on repeat viewings), but the good stuff outweighs it by far.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 08, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
Just found out I will be getting...

Change of Heart / Her Desperate Choice / The Truth About Jane
| Year: 1996 | 272 Min.

Change of Heart
Beneath Jim Marshall's (John Terry) veneer as the all-American father and husband lies a long suppressed desire that is about to ruin his idyllic family. When Elaine Marshall (Jean Smart) catches her husband and his lover in a hotel room, her anger quickly turns to shock as she discovers that Jim's paramour is a young man. What ensues is painful soul-searching for Jim, Elaine, and their family.

Her Desperate Choice
Despite allegations of sexual abuse against her ex-husband, Jody (Faith Ford) has lost a custody battle for Samantha (Hanna Hall) and faces a choice of turning her daughter over to him, or taking flight and risking kidnapping charges. Pursued by both the FBI and a private detective, Jody and Samantha become hunted animals, fleeing from town to town with the help of an Underground Railroad set up to help women and children escape from abuse.

The Truth About Jane
Jane's mom (Stockard Channing) assumes her daughter is just like every other sixteen-year-old girl - a little confused about growing up. Jane (Ellen Muth) figures her mom is just like every other mom - a little too protective, but loving. They figure they have a good relationship, until Jane falls in love with the new girl at school. Jane knows she is gay but her mom is completely unwilling to accept this fact. Their mother-daughter relationship is broken unless they can find a way to remember how much they love each other.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »
Just found out I will be getting...

National Geographic: Eden at the End of the World
| Year: 2007 | 50 Min.

At the bottom of South America, where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans collide, is Patagonia, one of the last great wild Edens on Earth. Join National Geographic on a journey to this breathtaking subantarctic region and its crown jewel—Tierra del Fuego—a beautifully desolate island at its most southern tip.

Home to Magellanic penguins, elephant seals, right whales, and guanacos, this stark, wind-whipped wilderness now faces its greatest challenge: recovering from the misguided actions of man. With stunning footage and behind-the-scenes interviews with some of the world's most committed conservationalists, Eden at the End of the World offers a wondrous glimpse into the pristine haven that is Patagonia.

National Geographic: The Great White Odyssey
| Year: 2009 | 50 Min.

The great white shark: an animal of myths and legend. All the earth's oceans are home to these fearsome predators, yet the movements of these intriguing beasts have remained largely a mystery…until now.

National Geographic takes us on on a deep-sea expedition with world-renowned shark experts Michael Scholl and Ramon Bonfil as they tag a 12-foot great white they call Nicole—named for shark-lover and actress Nicole Kidman. Nicole is a lone female who takes them on an epic journey across an ocean seething with threats to her survival. Driven by overpowering natural instincts, Nicole navigates icy cold waters, dives to unfathomable depths, battles hunger and fatigue, outsmarts some of the ocean's most lethal inhabitants and ultimately travels 6,000 nautical miles in 99 days, the fastest trans-oceanic migration recorded for any fish. Experience her world up close through her eyes and senses—a world full of wonder, mystery and danger.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
A friend of mine getting rid of some DVDs out of their DVD/BD combo sets again... she is sending me...

Fantastic Mr. Fox
| Year: 2009 | 87 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

GEORGE CLOONEY and MERYL STREEP lend their voices to this hilarious and heartwarming animated adventure from visionary director WES ANDERSON. Mr. and Mrs. Fox (CLOONEY and STREEP) live a happy home life with their eccentric son Ash (JASON SCHWARTZMAN) and visiting nephew Kristofferson. That is until Mr. Fox slips into his sneaky old ways and plots the greatest chicken heist the animal world has ever seen. Based on the beloved, best-selling book by ROALD DAHL (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Fantastic Mr. Fox is family fun at its finest.

Rio
| Year: 2011 | 95 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Feel the rythm...hear the beat...and let your spirit soar with Rio. This high-flying animated comedy from the makers of Ice Age is fun for the whole family and features an all-star cast that includes the voice talents of Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, George Lopez and Jamie Foxx.

Blu (Eisenberg) is a rare domesticated macaw who believes he's the last of his kind. But when his owner learns about Jewel (Hathaway), Blu's female counterpart in Rio de Janeiro, they set out on the adventure of a lifetime. Even though he's never learned to fly, Blu befriends a group of wise-cracking, smooth-talking city birds who help him find the courage to spread his wings and follow his destiny.

Despicable Me
| Year: 2010 | 95 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Vying for the title of "World's Greatest Villian," Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) – along with his hilarious crew of mischievous minions – plots to pull the craziest crime of the century: steal the moon! But when Gru enkists the help of three little girls, they see something in him nobody else has ever seen: the perfect dad. From executive producer Chris Meledandri (Horton Hears a Who!, Ice Age) and featuring the voices of an all-star comedic cast, including Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Miranda Cosgrove and Julie Andrews, Despicable Me is "rousingly funny, heartfelt and imaginative"(Pete Hammond, Boxoffice Magazine).

The Adjustment Bureau
| Year: 2011 | 106 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Academy Award® nominee* Matt Damon (the Bourne trilogy) stars in this action thriller about a man who glimpses the future Fate has planned for him – and chooses to fight for his own destiny. Battling the powerful Adjustment Bureau across, under and through the streets of New York, he risks his destined greatness to be with the only woman he's ever loved (Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria, The Devil Wears Prada). Based on a story by the legendary Philip K. Dick (Total Recall, Minority Report and Blade Runner), The Adjustment Bureau is "entertaining and thought-provoking."         -Katey Rich, Cinemablend.com.

*1997, Best Actor, Good Will Hunting; 2009, Best Supporting Actor, Invictus

Hop
| Year: 2011 | 95 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

He was destined to be the Easter Bunny, but all he wanted to do was rock! When teenage E.B. (voiced by Russell Brand) leaves for Hollywood in pursuit of his dream to become a rock star drummer, he meets Fred (James Marsden), an out-of-work slacker with his own lofty goals. Together the two encounter a series of hilarious mishaps and misadventures and in the end help each other recognize the importance of family. "The laughs don't stop in this movie treat for all ages!"—Pete Hammond, BOXOFFICE

Megamind
| Year: 2010 | 95 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Packed with high-flying action and non-stop laughs, MEGAMIND puts a whole new hilarious twist on the superhero movie. Super villain Megamind's (Will Ferrell) dreams have come true when he conquers the city's protector, Metro Man (Brad Pitt), gaining control of Metro City. But when a new villain (Jonah Hill) is created and chaos runs rampant, the world's biggest "mind" and his comic sidekick Minion (David Cross) might actually save the day. With an all-star cast, including Tina Fey, and amazing animation, Megamind "is a smart, funny and original treat."

Toy Story 3
| Year: 2010 | 103 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

The creative minds behind Disney•Pixar's groundbreaking animated blockbusters invite you back inside the toy box for a heartwarming and hilarious movie experience you'll never forget. In Toy Story 3, Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen) and the rest of the Toy Story gang return for an all-new adventure, along with a few new faces – some plastic, some plush – imcluding Barbie's counterpart Ken (voiced by Michael Keaton), a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants (voiced by Timothy Dalton) and a strawberry-scented bear named Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear (voiced by Ned Beatty). It's "the biggest, best, most exciting Toy Story of them all," raves Access Hollywood's Scott Mantz.

As Andy prepares to depart for college, Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the rest of Andy's faithful toys wonder what will become of them. But, when a mix-up lands them at Sunnyside daycare, they meet a host of new toys and soon discover a wild new adventure is just beginning!

Buzzing with hours of bonus features and the Pixar short film Day & Night, the Toy Story 3 DVD goes to infinity and beyond!

Brave
| Year: 2012 | 93 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Pixar Animation Studios, the creator of Toy Story 3, whisks you away on an astonishing adventure to an ancient land full of mystery and tradition. Bursting with heart, unforgettable characters and Pixar's signature humor, Brave is "a rousing, gorgeously animated good time," raves Peter Travers of Rolling Stone.

Take a heroic journey with Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor. Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land. When Merida's actions inadvertently unleash chaos in the kingdom, she must harness all of her skills and resources – including her clever and mischievous triplet brothers – to undo a beastly curse before it's too late, and discover the meaning of true bravery. It's a legendary Ultimate Collector's Edition with never-before-seen bonus features!

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
| Year: 2011 | 84 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

With stories by acclaimed writers including Geoff Johns, Alan Burnett and Dave Gibbons, this DC Universe Animated Original Movie explores the rich mythology of the Green Lantern universe through six interlocking chapters. While awaiting a battle with Krona, an ancient enemy of the Guardians of the Universe, Earth's Green Lantern Hal Jordan, Kilowog, Sinestro and other members of the Green Lantern Corps recount their greatest adventures to new recruit Arisia – everything from tales to the Corps' Blackest Night! The power-packed voice cast includes Nathan Fillion, Jason Isaacs, Elisabeth Moss, Henry Rollins and Arnold Vosloo.

Toy Story
| Year: 1995 | 81 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Before Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc. and Cars, the creative minds of Disney/Pixar introduced you to Toy Story and an astonishing world where toys play while their owners are away. Rediscover acclaimed filmmaker John Lasseter's directorial debut with Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) and all their friends in an adventure filled with humor, heart and friendship – in a must-have Special Edition.

This groundbreaking computer-generated classic started it all and set the stage for the equally amazing Toy Story 2. Enjoy all-new bonus features – including an exclusive sneak peek at Toy Story 3, the next chapter of this exciting adventure. It's nonstop fun for the entire family, and now on Blu-ray™ featuring Disney enhanced high definition picture and sound, it's an essential part of any collection!

Toy Story 2
| Year: 1999 | 92 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

From the filmmakers behind Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc. and Cars comes Toy Story 2 – the highly acclaimed hit that earned a Golden Globe® Award for Best Picture. Rediscover the humor, heart and friendship of this hilarious adventure in a spectacular new Special Edition that goes to infinity and beyond!

Enter Disney/Pixar's incredible world with Woody, Buzz, Jessie and Bullseye in the movie that shows us what being a toy, and a friend, is all about. Plus, get a look at how the incredible tale continues with an exclusive sneak peek at Toy Story 3. This must-have comedy classic is the perfect addition to your Disney/Pixar collection, and now on Blu-ray™ featuring Disney enhanced high definition picture and sound, it's hours of fun for the entire family!

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
| Year: 2012 | 87 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

The imaginative world of Dr. Seuss comes to life like never before in this visually spectacular adventure from the creators of Despicable Me! Twelve-year-old Ted will do anything to find a real live Truffula Tree in order to impress the girl of his dreams. As he embarks on his journey, Ted discovers the incredible story of the Lorax, a grumpy but charming creature who speaks for the trees. Featuring the voice talents of Danny DeVito, Ed Helms, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Rob Riggle, Jenny Slate, and Betty White, Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is filled with hilarious fun for everyone!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 15, 2013, 06:05:43 AM »
A friend of mine gave me a whole list of trivia questions where the answers are titles she is sending me. And here is the ones I figured out so far...

Dragons Gifts of the Night Fury - Book of Dragons
| Year: 2011 | 0 Min.

The Dragons are back in DREAMWORKS DRAGONS: GIFT OF THE NIGHT FURY, the thrilling next chapter to the Academy Award®-nominated** film, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON. Although the Vikings and dragons are now friends, when Toothless and the other fire-breathers mysteriously take flight, Hiccup must again solve the mystery that can reunite the island!

Prepare yourself for even more fun and adventure in BOOK OF DRAGONS, as the gang explores the legend of Berk and reveals secrets about new, never-before-seen dragons. Then, test your skills in the DRAGONS ONLINE VIDEO GAME where you'll battle dragons, win badges and become the ultimate dragon trainer.

**Nominated: Best Animated Feature Film, 2010.

Chico & Rita
| Year: 2012 | 94 Min.

Cuba, 1948. Chico is a young piano player with big dreams. Rita is a beautiful singer with an extraordinary voice. Music and romantic desire unites them, but their journey – in the tradition of the Latin ballad, the bolero – brings heartache and torment. From Havana to New York, Paris, Hollywood and Las Vegas, two passionate individuals battle impossible odds to unite in music and love.

Secretariat
| Year: 2010 | 123 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Disney presents an astonishing true story bursting with hope, heart and courage. Diane Lane and John Malkovich lead a celebrated cast in this inspirational motion picture from the producers of Miracle, Invincible and The Rookie.

Behind every legend lies an impossible dream. Witness the spectacular journey of an incredible horse, Secretariat, and the moving story of his unlikely owner, a housewife who risked everything to make him a champion. Out of the gate, Secretariat is hours of pulse-pounding entertainment for the whole family!

Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes
| Year: 2010 | 50 Min.

Jewel heists around the city of London befuddle Scotland Yard, and the beautiful singer Red is framed for the crook. Only the legendary Sherlock Holmes can find the real thief with the help of his assistant Dr. Watson – and of course, Tom and Jerry. But finding clues and cracking the case will be elementary compared to keeping the peace between these raucous rivals as they scamper, scurry, scoot and speed along the streets, alleys and rooftops in the name of justice. Familiar friends Tuffy, Butch, Droopy and many more cleverly round out the motley crew of characters and possible suspects in this brilliant fusion of classic detection and energetic animation!

The Lorax
| Year: 1972 | 25 Min.

In a place where the Brown Bar-ba-loots frisk about and the Humming-Fish splash around, you will find the Lorax. The Lorax speaks for the trees, which the Once-ler is chopping down as fast as he pleases. Will the Once-ler change his destructive ways and heed the wise warnings of the Lorax? With the help of a young boy and the very last Truffula Tree seed, the Once-ler may still be able to right his wrong doings. Share in this newly remastered Dr. Seuss tale that teaches us all to appreciate and respect the world we live in!

Tom and Jerry & The Wizard of Oz
| Year: 2011 | 0 Min.

They're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz! Tom and Jerry soar over the rainbow and travel down the yellow brick road in this all-animated retelling of the classic tale. You'll see your favorite characters: Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Lion, the Wicked Witch of the West, the Wizard, the Munchkins and more. You'll hear many of your favorite songs, including Over The Rainbow. And you'll laugh at the antics of your favorite cat and mouse as they get twisted up in a twister, go paw-to-paw against flying monkeys and storm the Wicked Witch's castle in a heroic attempt to get Dorothy and Toto (and themselves) safely back to Kansas. After all, there's no place like home!

Rango
| Year: 2011 | 107 Min.

Get ready to tango with RANGO, a winner with critics and audiences that's "like nothing you've ever seen before" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone). Johnny Depp is spectacular as Rango, a kooky pet chameleon who gets tossed into a wild and raucous town in desperate need of a hero. Refreshingly original with eye-popping animation, RANGO is "loads of fun and genuinely funny" (Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times).

How to Train Your Dragon
| Year: 2010 | 98 Min.

A winner with audiences and critics alike, DreamWorks Animation's How To Train Your Dragon  rolls fire-breathing action, epic adventure and laughs into a captivating and original story. Hiccup is a young Viking who defies tradition when he befriends one of his deadliest foes — a ferocious dragon he calls Toothless. Together, the unlikely heroes must fight against all odds to save both their worlds in this "wonderful good-time hit!" (Gene Shalit, Today).

Hugo
| Year: 2011 | 126 Min.

Welcome to a magical world of spectacular adventure! When wily and resourceful Hugo discovers a secret left by his father, he unlocks a mystery and embarks on a quest that will transform those around him and lead to a safe and loving place he can call home. Academy Award®-winning* filmmaker Martin Scorsese invites you to experience a thrilling journey that critics are called "the stuff that dreams are made of" (Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE).

*Best Director, The Departed, 2006

And there is still 9 trivia questions I didn't figure out yet!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:59 AM »
if you want to help with clues I haven't gotten yet... here they are...

- one of the actors in this film is also in House, another played Mr. Tumnus
- Guillermo del Toro presents
- the lead actor in this film is best known for rom-coms, including one with Sandra Bullock, another with Julia Roberts
- the lead actor in this film once played Lindsey Lohan's boyfriend
- the lead actor was also a gladiator and a ship's captain
- one of the actors also did a voice in A Bug's Life, another is General Trimble in Gettysburg & Gods and Generals
- this movie is based on a French comic
- this film stars an actor famous as a pirate and an actress famous for Catwoman- this film features an actor who's best known for MASH, another who's best known for Roseanne

For this one...

- this movie is based on a French comic

...I just submitted the guess "The Adventures of Tintin" but I haven't heard back yet. Probably won't now until morning.
Pete