Author Topic: Superman Marathon  (Read 17911 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Marathon
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »

Superman (Chapters 1-4)
Superman, Lois, and Jimmy combat the evil Spider Lady. Lots of cliffhanger excitement while the Spider Lady and her gang use Kryptonite against Superman in an effort to gain a relativity Reducer Ray.

My Thoughts:
So far I am really enjoying this serial... I thought I may be put off by Superman turning into a cartoon when he flies.... but I didn't mind one bit... matter of fact... I really enjoyed the way they did it. I don't know... it is like it added a little something special to the serial. At least in my opinion. Much like the TV Series from the '50s and from what I understand some of the comics before that... the names of the Kents were not Martha and Jonathan... but that was easy to get past since it was only seen in the first chapter. I like how they managed Superman's X-Ray vision in this... basically looks like they superimposed a lighter scene over top what he was supposed to be looking through... so it worked well in my opinion... though I do think it was odd that it is always in a rectangle... like you are looking at a movie being projected onto a wall... but I imagine they did the best they could... and as I said... it works well.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
:o :voodoo: :training: :suicide: :stars:

Yeah I know... My view of Citizen Kane is not a popular one.. But what can I do? It's not like I didn't try! I watched it 3 times so far, read about it and all the innovations in storytelling and cinematography techniques and what not... I still can't get involved in the story and get bored each and every time.

RossRoy

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »

Haha! I don't know why, but from that small picture, I pictured Bruce Campbell in the title role!  :laugh:

You're making it interesting. I've been meaning to expand my Superman knowledge through past serials and animated series. You've gotten my interested with this serials collection. I'll to take another look at those!  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55:25 PM »
 :laugh: Bruce Campbell as Superman!?!  No I just can't see it... though you are right... Kirk Alyn does look a little like Bruce Campbell in that picture. But here he is closer up... not as much close up...

What I really like about this set is it has both the Superman serials in one set. I really enjoyed them both!  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:57:00 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
:o :voodoo: :training: :suicide: :stars:

Yeah I know... My view of Citizen Kane is not a popular one.. But what can I do? It's not like I didn't try! I watched it 3 times so far, read about it and all the innovations in storytelling and cinematography techniques and what not... I still can't get involved in the story and get bored each and every time.

That's fine. No problem. Move along, nothing to see here. I was just reacting to your cheap shot, right below the belt! :weep: ;) It's often considered one of cinema highest achievements, something neither Batman & Robin nor Superman III will ever be accused of! And you threw me a "bored". Bored!! Maybe I should have said The Dark Knight instead... ;D

P.S.: That HAS to be Campbell! It's a conspiracy! Pete's second picture is obviously faked to hide the fact it was Campbell... :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »
For what it is worth... I still want to see Citizen Kane. It is one of those classics I never got to see before.

And nope... still not Brice Campbell!  :P
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
For what it is worth... I still want to see Citizen Kane. It is one of those classics I never got to see before.

You do know that it's a movie and not a TV show, don't you? It's not even a horror movie. :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »
 :laugh: yes I do know that... even know it is in Black and white!  :P believe me... I do have other tastes then horror and TV Series.  :thumbup:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 01:04:54 AM »
:laugh: yes I do know that... even know it is in Black and white!  :P believe me... I do have other tastes then horror and TV Series.  :thumbup:

You do?  :suicide:

:devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 01:26:42 AM »
this forum is just full of comedians!  :P

I give you this thread as proof... as well as the Batman thread and the Sandra Bullock Marathon... as well as several others I have had in the past. :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »

You do know that it's a movie and not a TV show, don't you? It's not even a horror movie. :tease:

Ex-squeeze moi! The opening shots of Citizen Kane (post newsreel style footage), is pure, classic, gothic horror style. So there's an excuse for Pete to get right into it! :P

Ok, it's about 12 seconds, but you know, it's there...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:30 AM »

Superman II
This continuation of the adventures of the Man of Steel (Christopher Reeve) takes up where the original left off, showing spectacular new tricks to surpass it! "I thought the original 'Superman' was terrific entertainment," Roger Ebert wrote, "and so I was a little startled to discover that I liked 'Superman II' even more." Three fugitive super-powered Kryptonian do-badders (Terence Stamp, Sarah Douglas and Jack O'Halloran) plan to enslave the Earth – just when Superman decides to show a more romantic side to Lois Lane (Margot Kidder). The timing is off for the son of Jor-El, but it's ideal for a special-effects fan's dream come true as Metropolis comes under siege. Gene Hackman (as Lex Luthor) also returns from the first film and with a top supporting cast, witty Richard Lester direction and visuals that astound and delight, this comic book-come-to-life has become an enduring all-family wow!

My Thoughts:
Another one I really enjoyed. Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder do a good job reprising their roles. I also liked the 3 Kryptonian criminals. I thought it was a great idea to make Superman face someone (or a small group as it is) as strong as he is. Even though I understand why they had to do it for the storyline... I never cared much for when Superman gave up his powers to be with Lois. The movie was almost boring in those scenes. But of course it really picked up afterwards... and I really enjoyed the fight between Superman and the Kryptonian criminals. Over-all it is a great movie.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 12:59:27 PM »
Pete, have you got, and will you be including, the Richard Donner's alternative cut of Superman II? I haven't watched it yet (I plan to have my own Superman marathon soon), but it sounds interesting.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »
I wish I could Jon.. but I haven't gotten the chance to get myself a copy yet.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
The Richard Donner cut is really worth to watch it. I even like it a lot better than the Lester Cut. It fits much better with Superman I. And you get some additional Marlon Brando scenes, which close some plot holes.