Author Topic: Superman Marathon  (Read 17759 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Superman Marathon
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »

Atom Man vs. Superman (Chapters 6-10)
Superman manages to eventually save Lois, Jimmy, Metropolis, and the Earth, from Luthor's schemes involving coin tokens that transport hoodlums, synthetic Kryptonite, ray guns, rockets, and a Directional Cyclotron!

My Thoughts:
Five more chapters of this serial. Still enjoying it very much. This puts me 2/3rds of the way through the serial.  One thing did leave me rolling my eyes a bit on one of the chapters this time around. Something that to me went a little far.They have Superman come crashing through a barn door to save Lois and Jimmy. Instead of tearing the whole door down... or completely smashing the door to bits... what do they do? The create a hole in the door in the shape of Superman. That just felt way too cartoon-ish in my opinion.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »

Superman: Doomsday
When Lexcorp accidentally unearths the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday, Superman battles the creature head-on in the fight of his life...literally. The world collectively mourns its fallen hero; humanity realizes it will never feel truly safe again. Superman's enemies rejoice - all but Lex Luthor, who grieves the loss in his own demented manner, setting off a chilling chain of events that even he couldn't have foreseen.

Inspired by the best-selling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics' The Death of Superman, this feature-length animated adventure boasts exciting action sequences that rival anything you've ever seen starring the Man of Steel.™

My Thoughts:
I am a fan of Superman: The Animated Series... and when I first ordered this I was under the impression this movie was off that series... but I was mistaken there. This is just an animated movie... separate from the series. That is not a bad thing... I enjoyed the movie... even as short as it was. I know a lot of fans of the comic books didn't like it because it left so much out and just didn't compare to the comics. There is where I am lucky... as I never read the comics version of this story.  Another thing I heard mentioned was on the talent used... I heard people not satisfied with Anne Heche doing the voice for Lois Lane. Now that I do agree with... her voice... and her attitude just didn't feel right for the character... and felt like it really took away from both the character and over all the movie for me. On the other hand... they had James Marsters (Spike on Buffy) voicing Lex Luthor... which at first felt weird... but it quickly grew on me and just felt right. Adam Baldwin (Jayne on Firefly) voiced Superman/Clark Kent... I never had a problem with that one... it felt right from the start. Over-All I really enjoyed the movie. I just wish it was longer then the very short 78 minutes.

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... I already have this review for Superman: Doomsday on the site. No need to add it to the list again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2008, 02:41:22 PM »

Atom Man vs. Superman (Chapters 11-15)
Superman manages to eventually save Lois, Jimmy, Metropolis, and the Earth, from Luthor's schemes involving coin tokens that transport hoodlums, synthetic Kryptonite, ray guns, rockets, and a Directional Cyclotron!

My Thoughts:
This is the last five chapters to the second Superman serial. Over-all a good serial that I enjoyed quite a bit. I would say I probably enjoyed this one even more then the first one. I am glad I picked up this collection of movie serials. It is the second time I watched each of them and enjoyed them just as much as the first time. This set comes with a couple of fun extras included... a featurette on the making of the serials and excerpts from the feature length documentary Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman.

Ok... I think I am about burned out on superheroes now after this one and the Batman marathon I had earlier... so I think it is time for me to go on to something else. So this ends my Superman Marathon.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:56 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Supergirl (1984)

Genre: Science Fiction
Director: Jeannot Szwarc
Rating: Unrated
Length: 2h05
Video: Widescreen
Audio: English and French
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Helen Slater
Faye Dunaway
Maureen Teefy   
Peter Cook
Hart Bochner

Plot:
Strength, flight, invincibility, heat vision, an unswerving sense of justice: they're all family traits. Kara, 'Superman''s cousin, also survived the cataclysm that destroyed their homeworld of 'Krypton'. And when she comes to Earth, she's 'Supergirl'!

Creative forces behind 'Superman The Movie' take another page from DC Comics lore with this fun-and effects-packed adventure about the 'Girl of Steel'. Helen Slater plays the title role, posing as Midvale prep-schooler 'Linda Lee', battling a sorceress (Faye Dunaway) for control of an alien power orb and enjoying an unexpected dating ritual called kissing. Peter O'Toole and Mia Farrow add more starpower to the ultrapowered excitement. All you in Midvale and beyond, have no fear: 'Supergirl' is here!

My Thoughts:
Pete had never reviewed this one and I've decided to do it myself. Evidently it doesn't really fit in neither of my 2 reviews topics so I've decided to place it here.

For me a super hero doesn't need to be completly serious and depressing (that's why I've no intention to watch the recent Batman). OK I want to have a little seriousness, but I want to have some enjoyment out of it. This one was not really a big hit since it cames just after the awfull piece of crap that was (and will always be) Superman 3. This kind of sad since this was the best thing in this franchise after the original (sorry but Superman 2 is bad, at least the theatrical version). I agree the vilain is cartoonish, but common it's Faye Dunaway so who cares (at 43 she was always great to look at). Talking of great to look at, Helen Slater what a great discovery from this movie. She can act and she sure look good (the outfit looks certainly better on her than on Christopher Reeves), too bad that she doesn't had a better career because this movie was a box office failure. Even Maureen Teefy an actress that I like was in this and for one time she doesn't sing (her singing voice is awfull). Peter O'Toole is good too in his little role. For the rest of the cast nothing really impressive and a lot of waste talent.

Maybe it's a little silly film, but it doesn't make a joke of the Superman franchise like all the others after the original. I don't count Superman Return that wasn't a joke but a whining boringfest.

I've watched the international version, I sure will like to watch the director cut but the Anchor Bay dvd is OOP since a long time...

Rating :

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
It has been a while since I watched this one.... I really should watch it again at some time soon. Just won't be this weekend... as I have a marathon planned that this just wouldn't fit in.  :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
I'll probably get this one eventually to add to my superhero movie collection if nothing else.  I wasn't impressed when I saw it before, but I'll probably still get it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »
Bought all of them in a week or so when they were re-released (Superman 1 to 4, Superman Return and Supergirl). After the original Superman and the director cut of Superman 2, Supergirl is my favourite... What can I say it's a fun movie with a beautifull lead actress :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
I actually have the limited edition...

It contains both the International Version and the Director's Cut as well as some decent extras.

It is numbered... I got...
#40,636 out of 50,000 released
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »
For those of you with a R2 player and still waiting to buy the Superman movies, amazon.co.uk has currently the Superman - Ultimate Collection for 26 pounds. It contains 13 discs. This includes all four Reeve movies (including the Donner cut of Superman II) and Superman Returns.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2009, 03:53:24 AM »
For those of you with a R2 player and still waiting to buy the Superman movies, amazon.co.uk has currently the Superman - Ultimate Collection for 26 pounds. It contains 13 discs. This includes all four Reeve movies (including the Donner cut of Superman II) and Superman Returns.

That is what I have...The Ultimate Collection.