Author Topic: Superman Marathon  (Read 17756 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Superman Marathon
« on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

Superman Marathon
It has been a while... so I think it is time for me to do another Superman Marathon. This time I think I will do it a little differently then I have in the past. This time I plan to do it like I did my recent Batman Marathon where I watch each movie (live action as well as animated)... but in between each movie I will do about 4 chapters of the two Superman serials that I have. So here is my Super-Marathon...

Superman
Soaring even higher in a state-of-the-art digital transfer from restored elements and with dynamically remixed digital audio, the Academy Award®-winning adventure also now includes eight minutes integrated into the film by director Richard Donner. Enjoy more footage of the Krypton Council, a glimpse of stars of prior 'Superman' incarnations, more of Jor-El underscoring his son's purpose on Earth and an extended sequence inside Lex Luthor's gauntlet of doom. Christopher Reeve (Superman/Clark Kent), Marlon Brando (Jor-El), Gene Hackman (Luthor) and Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) give indelible performances that fuel the film's aura of legend. Looks like a swell night for flying. Why not come along?

My Thoughts:
This movie... with Christopher Reeve in the starring role... was how I grew up knowing Superman to be. At the time I related was more used to seeing him in the role more so then George Reeves. I believe this came from a time that I did not like to watch anything that was in Black and White.... yes... I was one of those people at one time. But I have sense learned there is a lot of great entertainment out there in Black and white... and now have all the George Reeves Superman episodes... including the early Black and White ones. But I think... to me at least... when I think Superman... I still picture Christopher Reeve.

My favorite scene in this movie... one that makes me laugh even to this day... has to be the scene when Superman is seen for the very first time. Especially when he flies up the side of the building to catch Lois Lane... saying "Don't Worry Miss, I got you."... and she comes back with... "You got me... Who's got you!!!"... I don't know what it is about it... but I love that line.

Note to Jimmy: This is a recycled review... I already have this review for Superman on the site. No need to add it to the list again.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Superman Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
I've recently watched Superman I (and if I told you the reason I chose to watch it, you would have me commited to a mental institution) and I had a slight problem with that movie.

Up until Clark becomes Superman it's a great movie and well told. But then it becomes to comic-y (Is it weird to say about a comic movie that it is too comic-y?). The way Lex Luthor and his gang behaves, the way Clark behaves --> it's so childish. It doesn't remotely feel like it could be real.

Maybe I got used to the more realistic approach of more recent comic picturizations. For example, if you accept that people could do the things they do, then shows like Smallville and Heroes and movies like X-Men and Batman Begins / Dark Knight have a more serious touch than the Reeve Superman movies.

For example, if Tom Welling's Clark would ever wear a costume, I would expect that it would hide his face and that he would probably wear a voice-distorter.

This was also the most stupid thing about Superman Returns. Clark and Superman leave and return at exactly the same day and not even Lois does the simplest of math.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »
I've recently watched Superman I (and if I told you the reason I chose to watch it, you would have me commited to a mental institution) and I had a slight problem with that movie.
You just know that after saying that we just have to ask: Why did you watch Superman?

This was also the most stupid thing about Superman Returns. Clark and Superman leave and return at exactly the same day and not even Lois does the simplest of math.
Not sure what gave me the feeling, but somehow I was of the impression that Lois knew...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
You just know that after saying that we just have to ask

Of course I knew, but I still won't tell. because then you would  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I can say that much: It had nothing to with me watching the movie because I wanted to watch the movie - and I was the only person who watched the movie without someone forcing me to.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:50:53 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »
Of course I knew, but I still won't tell. because then you would  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I can say that much: It had nothing to with me watching the movie because I wanted to watch the movie - and I was the only person who watched the movie without someone forcing me to.
Come on, this is among DVD watching friends here. You can tell us. You know you want too...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
For example, if Tom Welling's Clark would ever wear a costume, I would expect that it would hide his face and that he would probably wear a voice-distorter.

I hope not!!
Superman is one of the superheroes, where you have to be willing to suspend your disbelieve regarding his dual identity. Superman was always hiding behind one pair of glasses and it should stay like this!
I can understand if someone cannot do this, but then Superman is just not the superhero for you. There are countless other superheroes who have masks you can choose from  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
I have to agree with Tom on that.

I got side-tracked from my marathon this morning... such a nice day I couldn't stand staying inside so I been out doing some yard work. I plan on watching the next item this evening though. :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »
You just know that after saying that we just have to ask

Ahhh but I want to go :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: so tell me please!

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »
Superman The Movie does deviate from the comic mythology a bit. Exaggerating Lex, making Clark a complete idiot (although some of the comics have apparently used this approach for a period of time), but all that aside, I think Reeve was perfect. Couldn't be better as Superman. And the film as a whole I believe is possibly the greatest pure cinema entertainment there is. It's set on a recognisably real Earth. A lot of fantasy feels like it's in an alternative dimension.

As a superhero film it balances origin with action better than any other, possibly because it feels like it revels in the simplest aspects of it's hero. It's proud to be what it is, rather than a stepping stone for a sequel.

Superman is at his best in the simplest form, because he's the most pure. Smallville has always messed with the story far too much for my liking; Lois and Clark was much better! :P

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 06:16:19 AM »
It's proud to be what it is, rather than a stepping stone for a sequel.
That's probably because they filmed the sequel back to back. So the real sequel (meaning follow-up to make more money) is Superman III; and we all know how that turned out :yucky:

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
Very true! :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
LOL... I can see now you all won't be agreeing with my Superman 3 review! (once I get that far)  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
LOL... I can see now you all won't be agreeing with my Superman 3 review! (once I get that far)  :P

I'm not surprised. After all, you like Batman & Robin, and Superman III is like Citizen Kane compared to that! :laugh: :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »
Superman III is like Citizen Kane compared to that! :laugh: :tease:

You mean I'll be bored to death?  :bag:

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »
 :o :voodoo: :training: :suicide: :stars: