Author Topic: Tom's Glee Marathon  (Read 17420 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Tom's Glee Marathon
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
Here is our review @ Rewind by Ethan of Season 3 - http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2734 (possible spoilers to previous seasons).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
     Glee: Season Two (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:940 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Bring home the complete second season of TV's most exhilarating series! Despite their loss at Regionals, the kids in New Directions are more motivated than ever. And whether it's Will doing a sexy tango with a substitute teacher, Sue joing the Glee Club or everyone catching Bieber fever, the excitement at William McKinley High School is keeping everyone on their toes. With more incredible musical numbers, hugely popular guest stars like John Stamos, Carol Burnett and Kristen Chenoweth, and lots of behind-the-scenes special features, Glee Season 2 hits all the right notes.

Glee
Season 2.01 Audition
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Director: Brad Falchuk
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Cheyenne Jackson (Dustin Goolsby), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Dot Jones (Shannon Beiste), Charice (Sunshine Corazon), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Dustin Ingram (Pizza Guy), James Earl (Azimio), Max Adler (Karofsky), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson)

A good start into a new season.
This is also the beginning of the traditional recap of the previous season where Glee pokes a little fun at itself. They mention some stuff in character which the audiences where complaining about the season before. Like Will's rapping and song choices. There also some new characters. I think Shanon Beiste, the new football coach, is a great addition.

Finn-competent:
Finn gets kicked from the football team and now tries out for the cheerleading team, because he needs something to keep him in the popular crowd. Besides that he cannot dance to save his life, he is bracking about his (non-existing) leadership skills.

Tina-Watch:
Over the summer, Tina broke up with Artie and is dating Mike now. This dooms here character to being Mike's girlfriend instead of a character of her own. And Mike is only a secondary character who only had a few lines in the first season.

Notable songs:
I enjoyed the songs in this episode. I liked "Telephone", sung by Rachel and Sunshine (an exchange student), best:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Glee
Season 2.02 Britney/Brittany
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer)
Director: Ryan Murphy
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), John Stamos (Dr. Carl Howell), Britney Spears (Herself), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Dot Jones (Shannon Beiste), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Max Adler (Karofsky), James Earl (Azimio), Ashley Fink (Lauren Zizes), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson)

Most of the music performed in this episode happen during halucinations. I am not sure I like that. For one thing they have a chance to copy the style of the original music video of those Britney Spears songs. On the other hand it doesn't really fit into what Glee has established so far.
We have a new regular guest star for the early part of the second season: John Stamos as the new love interest for Emma. He does a good job.

Brittana:
The "Me Against the Music" cover, of course. Brittany plays Britney's part. Santana Madonna's part.

Notable music:
This episode is a Britney Spears tribute, so most of the songs here are hers.

I'm a Slave to You:
This is the first solo by Brittany. As it is a dream sequence, the actress can really show of her dancing skills.
Video

Me Against the Music:
The Brittana song in this episode. Even though I am not a fan of this music, I like this rendition.
Video

Baby One More Time:
Of course this song has to be in a Britney tribute episode. Sung here by Rachel. For some reason it just doesn't offer much.
Video

Stronger:
Artie's performance is a nice take on it.
Video

Toxic:
My favorite song in this episode and one of the few which isn't a fantasy.
Video

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
Glee
Season 2.03 Grilled Cheesus
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Writer)
Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Romy Rosemont (Carole Hudson), Dot Jones (Shannon Beiste), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), James Earl (Azimio), Brent Jennings, Anthony Brandon Wong (Dr. Lee), Adam Kolkin (Young Kurt), Teddy Lane, Jr. (Trainer), Sharon Muthu (Sikh), Al Pugliese (Customer), Robin Trocki (Jean Sylvester)

When I had first seen this episode, I was a little pissed off at it. It may be because I am not American and find it sometimes offensive how they are pushing religions. Or at least how the media portrays it.
In this episode Kurt's father has an heart attack. And everyone just came up to Kurt wanting to pray and pushing religions. When he said he doesn't believe in god and they should stop pushing it, I cheered for him.
I liked his "I appreciate your thoughts. But I don't want your prayers."

But one visit to a church with the stereotypical big black girl who is singing in a gospel choir in a church, he suddenly has a change of heart and is more welcoming of the prayers.
Also the reactions of the others, when he told them that he doesn't believe in god was like "Wait! What?!"
Is it really that bad in the US, or at least in the bible belt? The show plays in Ohio.

Finncompetent:
Finn starts praying to a grilled cheese sandwhich after the burn marks look like Jesus to him. At the end of the episode he lost faith and starts eating the some days old sandwich.

Notable music:
I really liked Kurt singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand":
Video

Loosing My Religion. Sung by Finn. It was one of his better songs.
Video

"One of Us". I always liked this song and also this version is nice listening to.
Video

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:54 PM »
Glee
Season 2.04 Duets
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Director: Eric Stoltz
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), James Earl (Azimio), Max Adler (Karofsky), Jean Sincere (Ancient Librarian), Jonathan Wolf (Random Guy)

A good episode which I always enjoyed.

Brittana:
This episode marks the official storyline about the Brittany/Santana relationship. They can be seen making out (very harmless). Santana gets scared when a remark by Brittany puts their hooking up in a relationship territory and rejects Brittany. Brittany starts going out with Artie. Initially to get Santana jealous.

Notable music:
I like the Sam & Quinn duet "Lucky" the best.
Video

Tina & Mike's "Sing!" is also really interesting:
Video

Santana & Mercedes's "River Deep, Mountain High" is also good:
Video

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Glee
Season 2.05 The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Screenwriter), Ryan Murphy (Story By), Tim Wollaston (Story By), Richard O'Brien (Original Material By)
Director: Adam Shankman
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), John Stamos (Dr Carl Howell), Meat Loaf (Barry Jeffries), Barry Bostwick (Tim Stanwick), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), James Earl (Azimio), Max Adler (Karofsky), Bill A. Jones (Rod Remington), Earlene Davis (Andrea Carmichael), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson)

Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my favorite musicals. And I love the soundtrack. So on one hand I was excited by Glee doing their version. On the other hand they can never get close to the original.

Mr. Shue is just really inappropriate for putting on Rocky Horror as a school musical.

To the characters they have assigned:
Kurt is a great Riff-Raff. Very fitting.
Mercedes is a odd choice for Frankenfurter but it is an interesting take on the character.

Brittana:
They play Magenta and Columbia. Most notable in the Touch-a-touch-me song scene.

Notable music:
All the songs are great of course. But I don't like how they botched up some of the lyrics because the original is just to risky for the network.
Especially Touch-a-touch-a-touch-me has horrible lyric replacements:
Video

John Stamos did a great Eddie in "Hot Patootie":
Video

Far away from Tim Curry's performance, but an interesting take on "Sweet Transvestite":
Video

"Time Warp" is also a fun number:
Video

Rating:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »
I've just watched the first four episodes of season 1 and enjoyed it more than the odd episode I've seen as I'm catching the longer storylines now. Enjoying it so far so thanks for this marathon which got mt to buy volume one of season 1.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
Glad you like it! :)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »
Glee
Season 2.06 Never Been Kissed
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Writer)
Director: Bradley Buecker
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Dot Jones (Shannon Beiste), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), Max Adler (Dave Karofsky), Darren Criss (Blaine Anderson), Michael Hyatt (Joan Martin), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Telly Leung (Wes), Jeanine Anderson (Waitress), Ashley Fink (Lauren Zizes), Titus Makin, Jr. (David), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson)

This episode is the start of the bullying storyline focusing on Kurt. And we also find out, why Karowski keeps bullying him. Also in this episode Kurt meets Blaine for the first time, when scouting out another school.

Notable music:
I liked Puck and Artie's "One Love" performance:
Video

And we get introduced to the Warblers with their version of "Teenage Dream":
Video

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
Glee
Season 2.07 The Substitute
Director: Ryan Murphy
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Gwyneth Paltrow (Holly Holliday), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Dot Jones (Shannon Beiste), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans), Max Adler (Karofsky), Darren Criss (Blaine Anderson), Lindsey Sims-Lewis (Cameo), Loanne Bishop (Waitress), Ashley Fink (Lauren Zizes), Ryan Heinke (Brett), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson), Alexys Alonzo (Toddler Santana), Lauren Boles (Toddler Rachel), Loryn Shay Charbonnier (Toddler Brittany), Jada Harris (Toddler Mercedes), Evan Kishiyama (Toddler Mike), Matthew Lepper (Toddler Puck)

It has been awhile. Mainly because the current season is so bad, that it put me off the mood to continue with this marathon. It made me forget how much I enjoyed Glee. Especially during the first two seasons.

This is the first episode in which Gwyneth Paltrow guest stars as the substitute teacher Holly. She did a good job here.

Funny moments:
Will seeing the Glee club kids as toddlers. Very funny. Would have liked to seen more of this.
Or when we see flashback of Will wondering, which Journey song they haven't done yet.

Stupid storylines:
It is portrayed as a bad thing, that Sue bans unhealthy food (in this case "potato tots") replacing them with a more healthy alternative. And it is a very unlucky choice to have Mercedes to one protesting this. The only one in the club which would benefit from a more healthy diat.

Notable music:
I liked the first song that Gwyneth Paltrow sang: "Forget You"

I also enjoyed Will's dream performing "Make 'em Laugh" from "Singing in the Rain". And giving Mike the opportunity to shine with his dancing.

And also the Glee club's mash-up of "Singing in the Rain" and "Umbrella". Though that performance breaks the illusion, that the Glee club has no budget, in a big way. How can they afford setting the stage under water? And that even for just-for-fun performance.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
It has been awhile. Mainly because the current season is so bad, that it put me off the mood to continue with this marathon. It made me forget how much I enjoyed Glee. Especially during the first two seasons.

Now that I already had written Glee off thinking it will never get better again, they did an episode last week which was really great in my opinion. That episode was about school shooting. It started off like any other current Glee episode. But suddenly there are some shots and we see how they handle it when they have to hide, not knowing what's happening outside the choir room. I think it had good direction and good acting. And it was very dramatic and suspenseful. Although I saw the twist coming who was the actual "shooter".

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »
As you may have noticed in my watched banner, I have finished watching the second season without writing up further reviews. I found that the thought of having to write up reviews kept me from continuing watching it for far too long.

It may be for the best, because season three and four would have meant more and more Finn-bashing. And in light of the recent passing of the actor, it may have felt a little improper.