Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62129 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
Wow, due to my absences I have missed several of these reviews.  I do have some some of these myself, notably dharma & greg and The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Surprisingly enough, though I like country music, I never really got into The Dukes of Hazzard...I only watched one episode (due to Loretta Lynn as a guest-star).  This reminds me that I started my own pilot marathon but I only have managed one entry so far so I need to get back to my own soon.  :P

I really just gotten back into it in the last couple days. I wanted to finish off the "D"s in my collection.

Believe it or not... I don't watch Dukes of Hazzard for the Country Music!  :P But it is more a thing of I was raised around the back woods type of area with the rednecks and such. So the series almost feels like home to me!  :laugh:

Dungeons and Dragons completes the letter "D" for me. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »

Earth 2
Embark on the quest to find a new home planet for humanity in the year 2192 as the complete sci-fi epic Earth 2 lands on DVD for the first time ever! From the producers of Miami Vice and ER comes the thrilling story of Devon Adair (Debrah Farentino), who is struggling to find a healthy environment for her deathly ill son, Ulysses. Disregarding government orders, she puts together an expedition to found a new civilization on an Earth-like planet 22 light years in the future. But after their ship crash-lands on the wrong side of the planet G889, the "colonists" quickly discover that their new home already has some very strange and hostile inhabitants. Catch DVD-exclusive bonus features and join stellar guest stars including Tim Curry, Virginia Madsen, Terry O'Quinn and more on all 21 groundbreaking episodes of the Emmy®-winning series that critics cheered "soars to new sci-fi heights" (Houston Chronicle).

First Contact Part 1 and 2
Billionaire Devon Adair disregards government warnings when she hears of a new planet that offers hope for her Syndrome-stricken son, Ulysses. Together with a crew of hopeful "colonists," they embark on the journey to the Earth-like planet, G889, which is 22 light-years away.

My Thoughts:
I heard some good things about this series. So I blind bought it when I found the set on sale for about $15. After watching this double length pilot is that I hope it gets better. I mean it is not terrible... but it is far from what I would consider good. I just found the show slow... and found I wasn't caring about the characters. At least not up to this point.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »

Eerie Indiana
Thirteen-year-old Marshall Teller has just been uprooted from his beloved home in New Jersey to Eerie, Indiana which seems at first to be the most normal place in the world, but Marshall soon discovers that there's more to Eerie than meets the eye. Underneath the illusion of normality, Eerie is swarming with weird stuff; women who seal themselves in giant tupperware, werewolves, even Elvis who lives on Marshall's paper route! The only person that believes him is his new friend, ten-year-old Simon Holmes. Together they decide to investigate Eerie's weirdness and keep record of it in hopes to one day show the world.

Forever Ware
The Tellers are welcomed to Eerie by Betty Wilson, who invites Marilyn to attend a demonstration of Foreverware, a very special type of plastic container: It's guaranteed keep anything fresh... Forever.

My Thoughts:
This is a cute family horror series. I don't enjoy this one as much as I do Goosebumps. But it is a decent way to spend some time with your kids. Unfortunately Britt didn't feel like watching it with me this time. Though she does have the complete series in her collection.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

My Thoughts:
With her good-natured smile and fast-talking wit, Ellen DeGeneres lights up audiences from coast to coast. The happy-go-luckiest woman in showbiz today, DeGeneres has graduated from the stand-up comedy circuit to become one of the Top Ten Comedians as named by Enertainment Weekly!

DeGeneres first catapulted to the A-List with the groundbreaking ABC sitcom, ELLEN. Spotlighting her talents as a hilarious writer and performed, the Emmy® Award-winning ELLEN melded the humor of everyday life with quirky plots and the easy-breezy stylings of its star's stand-up act.

Originally aired as These Friends of Mine, this rarely-seen debut season of ELLEN stars DeGeneres as mildly neurotic Los Angeles bookseller Ellen Morgan, whose nervous motor-mouthing often gets her in trouble, especially with her best friends Adam (Arye Gross), Anita (Maggie Wheeler), and Holly (Holly Fulger).

PILOT
Ellen takes outlandish steps to correct a bad driver's license photo.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed watching this one. I forgot how funny this series was. Surprisingly I only have the first season in my collection so far. I will have to look into getting more seasons before too long.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
Surprisingly I only have the first season in my collection so far. I will have to look into getting more seasons before too long.

Thanks for making me look up if the fifth and final season is available yet. I must have missed its release. Strange as it was released shortly after season 4. I am scratching my head right now how I could have missed this. I should have been notified by TVShowsOnDVD.com at the time and it also should have been up for pre-ordering at the same time as season 4.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »

The Ellen Show
When Ellen (played by Emmy® award winner Ellen DeGeneres) returns to her hometown, Clark, to accept an achievement award, she discovers the town hasn't changed at all. Her sister Catherine is still involved with the wrong men, her mother keeps her room exactly the same as Ellen left it, her old high school teacher Mr. Munn is still teaching, and Rusty Carnouk, Ellen's prom date, still thinks he and Ellen might have a future together. Without warning, Ellen receives a phone call saying her LA. dotcom company has gone bankrupt and she does the last thing she thought she'd ever do - she stays in Clark.

Welcome to "The Ellen Show," a small-town comedy with big-time laughs from executive producers Mitchell Horwitz (TV's "Golden Girls"), Carol Leifer (TV's "Seinfeld") and Ellen DeGeneres.

Pilot
After both her business and her social life go belly-up, Ellen deides to trade in the stress of her fast-track, big-city life for the slower pace of her small hometown.

My Thoughts:
This series is pretty funny too. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately it didn't last past the one season (18  episodes), But it definitely had it's laughs. I especially liked the scene where Ellen was giving a speech in her old high school when her cell phone rang. She had a bad connection so she walked up to a kid with braces and moved held his head... moving his head around till her phone came in clear.  :laugh:

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2010, 11:43:18 PM »
Surprisingly I only have the first season in my collection so far. I will have to look into getting more seasons before too long.

Thanks for making me look up if the fifth and final season is available yet. I must have missed its release. Strange as it was released shortly after season 4. I am scratching my head right now how I could have missed this. I should have been notified by TVShowsOnDVD.com at the time and it also should have been up for pre-ordering at the same time as season 4.

Glad to help... and cost you some more money!   :tease:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »
Glad to help... and cost you some more money!   :tease:
And not just because of Ellen, but I of course could not help myself and order some other stuff from my wishlist  :bag:
At least nothing expensive. Even Ellen only cost $13.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
If they are that cheap I will have to get at least season 2 when I get paid again.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:19 PM »
If they are that cheap I will have to get at least season 2 when I get paid again.

I ordered it here. Each Ellen season under $13.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »
Pete - check out amazon.com. They have Ellen season 2 for $7, season 3 for $12.65 and season 4 for $8.97 (new not used from various sellers).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2010, 12:52:14 AM »
Thanks!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2010, 01:11:39 AM »

ER
I first wrote ER back in 1974 as a record of my experiernces as a medical student in a hospital emergency room. But it was not until the fall of 1994, 20 years later, that these stories appeared as a new television series. That must surely be the longest creative gestation in modern television, but it was worth it. Audiences found the show to be fast-paced, fresh and real, and it drew a loyal following from it's very first episode. But if past was remarkable, the future was even more so: none of us in those early days of ER could have anticipated it's long and remarkable run as one of the best and most popular television shows in the history of the medium. From it's early days to the the exciting present, it's been one long thrill for me, and I think for audiences as well. Enjoy!

Micheal Crichton, June 2003

Pilot
Everything is an emergency and every emergency is business as usual as we first meet the young residents and interns at Chicago's County General teaching hospital. Among the events. Greene receives a tempting offer from a prestigious private practice, Benton risks unauthorized surgery in order to save a life, and inexperienced Carter must contend with several unorthodox emergencies on his first day in the ER.

My Thoughts:
This pilot is a double length episode. I have found that I really enjoy medical dramas. ER and Grey's Anatomy are my two favorite medical dramas to date. If there is any others that you would recommend I would love to hear some suggestions. This series really grabs me when I watch it. Now that I watched the pilot I could continue on with the series very easily!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2010, 01:16:03 AM »
I am missing TV Series starting with letters U, Y & Z.... is there any TV Series you would recommend to fill those gaps?
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2010, 01:51:13 AM »
Unsolved Mysteries is the only show I can think of that starts with U..  for Y..ummm....Young and the Restless.  :hysterical:

Z..Zorro