Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62135 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »

Dharma & Greg
When free-spirited yoga instructor Dharma Finkelstein meets conservative attorney Greg Montgomery, it's love at first sight. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no love in the air when Dharma's hippie parents finally meet after their children have already married at a drive-thru chapel in Reno. With friends and family all suggesting that a quick annulment would be best, it's no surprise that the couple begins to second-guess their impulsive nuptials. But it's soon evident that nothing can stand in the way of true love!

Pilot
When free-spirited Dharna Finkelstein sees Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Montgomery in the subway, it's love at first sight — much to the dismay of their parents!

My Thoughts:
Unrealistic? Sure... but this is an extremely fun and entertaining show. This is the first time I ever seen Jenna Elfman in anything... but I have liked her every since. I enjoyed watching this pilot so much that right after watching it.. I re-watched it with the commentary on. Definitely a fun sitcom I would recommend. Unfortunately we only ever got season one on DVD.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »

The Dick Van Dyke Show
Trip into the living room of comedy writer Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) along with his lovely wife, Laura (Mary Tyler Moore), wisecracking co-workers and nutty neighbors. Winner of 15 Emmy® Awards, this groundbreaking series is consistently ranked among the top TV comedies of all time and renowned for its top-notch cast and stellar writing. Now enjoy the first season's entire 30 episodes, each digitally remastered to its original full-length version.

Get ready to laugh out loud with such classics as Rob and Laura balancing a career-building cocktail party with caring for a sickly son in the series' first episode, "The Sick Boy and the Sitter"; then in "My Blonde-Haired Brunette" an insecure Laura disastrously dyes her hair; and Rob's shy brother (Jerry Van Dyke) is a sleepwalking Jekyll-and-Hide in the hilarious two-parter "I Am My Brother's Keeper"/"The Sleeping Brother."

The Sick Boy And The Sitter
Laura worries about leaving Ritchie with a babysitter when she thinks he's sick.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent classic sitcom! One of my all time favorites. I literally laughed out loud more then once while watching this episode. This is one I would highly recommend... I have the entire 5 seasons in my collection!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »

Diff'rent Strokes
"Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?"
When pint sized Gary Coleman uttered that phrase to his TV brother, played by Todd Bridges, audiences were hooked and a star was born. But the show's popularity was based on more then the rise of the diminutive, wisecracking Coleman. DIFF'RENT STROKES was a pop culture phenomenon that broke through cultural barriers as well.

The story of two African-American kids from Harlem who move to Park Avenue with a wealthy white widower (Conrad Bains) and his precocious teen daughter (Dana Plato) not only gave audiences lots to laugh about but gave them something to talk about. Along with their no-nonsense housekeeper (Charlotte Rae), this group was anything but average - but they reflected the changing face of the American family and brought issues of race asn class into households across the nation.

Finally available on DVD, this three-disc set collects all 24 episodes from the hilarious first season. Now you can experiance all the fun of DIFF'RENT STROKES again!

Movin' In
Wealthy widower Phillip Drummond welcomes his late housekeeper's young sons into his lavish penthouse and is surprised when he finds them trying to sneak back to Harlem.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun '70s/'80s sitcom. It is a series I would continue to collect if I could get the season sets cheap... but unfortunately they never went any further then season 2.  I like how this first season has the character of Mrs. Garrett as the housekeeper... before she left to be in the series spin-off The Facts of Life.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Dinotopia: the Series
Following in the thundering footsteps of the groundbreaking megaseries television event, Dinotopia, comes Dinotopia: The Series, the extraordinary odyssey of a 21st-century family stranded in an amazing prehistoric utopia. But beneath Dinotopia's surface, dangers brew. Through it all endures the boundless imagination, courage, and awesome wonder of a family lost in time—the last hope for the world on the verge of extinction.

Marooned
A family is marooned in Dinotopia as the lost paradise becomes threatened by unimagined dangers.

My Thoughts:
I blind bought this series back in April of 2005 when I saw it cheap and remembered that I did enjoy the miniseries. But for some reason I never bothered to watch a single episode till now. The pilot episode clocked in at 43 minutes. And I found myself getting a bit drowsy during the episode. As I found it a bit slow and... I don't want to say boring... but it did take an effort to get through it. I think it may have been better if it was only a half hour show. Hopefully the rest of the series will be a bit more entertaining then this episode.

My Rating:
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:33 AM »
I love Dinotopia! ...I think this may be partly because I remember one of the books from when I was little.

It does get better as it goes on but all the episodes are over 40 minutes.

:p I watched it on TV first and they managed to show it over two weekends.... It didn't seem as long at the time.

...I don't know if anyone has heard of the comedian Omid Djalili .... He plays a character briefly in the series.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »
Thanks Emma... hopefully I will be able to get into the upcoming episodes more then the first one. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »

Doogie Howser, M.D.
Neil Patrick Harris stars as Douglas "Doogie" Houwser, a whiz kid who breezed through high school in 9 weeks, graduated from Princeton at 10 and passed his medical board at 14. But as a 16-year-old doctor, Doogie must now find a way to balance the demands of professional medicine with the everyday pressures of being a teenager. In this debut season, Doogie experiences his first kiss, loses his first patient, fights the system at Eastman Medical Center, and discovers some unique lessons about life, death and growing up with help of his best friend Vinnie (Max Casella), his parents (Belinda Montgomery and James Sikking), his new girlfriend Wanda (Lisa Dean Ryan), his boss Dr. Canfield (Lawrence Pressman) and more. When you're a boy genius, life can be a mystery: This is Doogie Howser, M.D.

Pilot
Doogie needs to pass one test to get his driver's license, and another when he treats a critically ill boy.

My Thoughts:
I was just coming out of my teens when this series originally aired. And I instantly found this sitcom not only funny but fascinating. I always thought this series had one of the best opening scenes for the pilot episode. It introduces the character of Doogie perfectly. To this day I get a kick out of the opening scene of this episode. This is one series I am thrilled I have every episode of. After watching this episode I could see myself doing a marathon of the entire series run!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2009, 01:24:26 AM »

Dracula: The Series
For centuries he has ruled the night, inspiring dozens of plays, scores of movies and millions of nightmares. His enduring legend is known and feared everywhere. Now, Dracula seeks global domination as Alexander Lucard, international billionaire power broker, who is relentlessly building a hi-tech network of white-collar vampires. Two young American brothers know his secret (and his weaknesses!) as they join their uncle – a lifelong vampire chaser – to follow the trail across Europe and the U.S. in a desperate race to expose Lucard and his undead army of corporate vampires. The hunters become the prey as Lucard seeks to eliminate their threat to his eternal conquest.

Children of the Night
When Eileen Townsend gets transferred to Europe, she takes her sons (teen-age Chris and 10-year-old Max) to stay with her uncle, Gustav Helsing - descendant of the famous vampire hunter

My Thoughts:
This is a Saturday morning series geared towards kids that originally aired in (I believe) 1990 for just the one season. I never seen this show when it originally aired. But when I saw the DVDs for sale cheap I thought it would be a good show Britt and I could watch together. And Britt does enjoy this one. Though she does say it has one of the most annoying opening themes ever!  :laugh: It is a cute show... I am glad I added it to my collection. One of the characters in this series is played by a very young Mia Kirshner.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »
Dexter

[...]

My Rating:
How far have you seen the series? Personally I thought it shined the most during Season 2. I then originally wondered just how they wanted to make a third season still to be interesting and then had to admit they mostly pulled it off. I am now equally excited for season 4.

I find it very interestging how they pace the show. It's all rather slow moving, but when the viewer nears a point of potentially losing interest they tighten the screws again that holds you on your seat. Amazing how they pull it off time after time.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
Oh I seen the entire series on Showtime. And let me tell you... I think this past season (season 4) was amazing!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

The Drew Carey Show
Drew Carey the character is a lot like you and me: a smarter-than-he-looks average guy with an underwhelming job, some unfulfilled dreams and the support of great friends. And it just so happens that he's played by the very funny Drew Carey, who's also the co-creator and occasional writer of The Drew Carey Show. This complete Season One DVD Set reminds us why we laughed along with Drew for nine smash-hit seasons. We meet Drew and his buddies Oswald, Lewis and Kate. Drew meets Mimi, the cosmetics-challenged co-worker from hell. And everybody meets jobs instead of careers, lumpy bods instead of supermodel sleek and Cleveland instead of Manhattan. It's like real life. Just a whole lot funnier.

Pilot
There's a new woman in Drew's life. She's large, she's loud...she's Mimi.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun show I always enjoyed. Though I must admit I stopped watching it towards the last 2 or 3 seasons in it's original run. I would like to see them if they would just release the rest of this series. But unfortunately we only got Season 1 and 1 best of release. I thought this pilot was a good introduction to the characters. A fun watch.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

Due South
Due South is a lightning-paced action comedy in which a quintessential, polite, by-the-book Canadian Mountie from the frozen North is teamed up with a wise-cracking Armani-clad Chicago cop with a flexible sense of morality. Brought together in the Windy CIty by a mysterious murder which has personal ramifications for both men, these unlikely budies must find a common ground amidst overwhelming differences. Canadian actor Paul Gross (Wilby Wonderful, TV's Slings and Arrows) stars as Constable Benton Fraser, with David Marciano (TV's The Shield) as his reluctant partner, Detective Ray Vecchio.

Due South (Pilot Movie)
Robert Fraser is killed in a 'hunting accident' in the Northwest Territories, his son Benton investigates, which ends up leading him to Chicago, where he pairs up with a smart-aleck cop named Ray to find his father's killer.

My Thoughts:
Bring over the review from the other thread
OK... I must say... so far I like what I see. I really like the characters. This story did a really good job introducing everyone.... giving enough time to all the characters to give you a good feeling who they are. It did a good job showing someone that was truly out of place and the differences in the way he works compared to what they are used to. While watching this episode my mind kept flashing to the Dukes of Hazzard spin-off series called Enos... which was also about an out of place officer of the law (in that case a country cop) in the big city. I must say I am looking forward to watching more of this show. Though I must admit that I don't know how well the ghost of his father will fit into this series... such a supernatural twist to the show seems so out of place going by what I seen so far.

In Addition:
Unfortunately this show has lost a little something for me. I was loving every second of it throughout the first season. The second season really left me wondering what happened. I am to the point where there is still some good episodes here and there... but it just not the same as it was. I do plan on finishing it though.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »

The Dukes of Hazzard
The General Lee is tanked up, revving and ready. Bo Duke is at the wheel. Cousin Luke rides shotgun. And all roads lead to fun when you travel with The Dukes of Hazzard.

One-Armed Bandit
Sheriff Coltrane is hissier then a sack of rattlesnakes! He sets up a slot machine operation to fund his election, but a pair of two-armed bandits - Bo and Luke - find a way to give tha proceeds to charity.

My Thoughts:
While this is one of my favorite shows from when I was a Kid... It took a while for the show to get going. I for one never cared too much for the first season. At this point the characters were not yet set in the way they will be. Especially Cooter who is played more crazy and dumber then he is in the following seasons. But it is still an enjoyable show. Best thing about the pilot episode? Daisy in that bikini of course!  :drooling:

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »
Wow, due to my absences I have missed several of these reviews.  I do have some some of these myself, notably dharma & greg and The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Surprisingly enough, though I like country music, I never really got into The Dukes of Hazzard...I only watched one episode (due to Loretta Lynn as a guest-star).  This reminds me that I started my own pilot marathon but I only have managed one entry so far so I need to get back to my own soon.  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »

Dungeons and Dragons: The Animated Series
An enchanted roller coaster delivers six youths into the magical realm of Dungeons and Dragons. There, each of them gains magical talents and abilities, all the better to survive their time in the Realm. The bow-shooting ranger, the acrobat, the thief, the cavalier, the boy wizard, and the barbarian are soon joined by a baby unicorn and tutored by the mysterious and inscrutable Dungeon Master. Opposing them is the evil Sorcerer Venger, as well as various ogres, demons, bounty hunters, dragons, lizard men, skeleton warriors and more, all intent on keeping the kids from getting back home!

The Night of No Tomorrow
The group finds Merlin, looking for a magic spell to get home Presto casts a spell only to release a horde of dragons attacking the nearby village.

My Thoughts:
This is a cartoon I used to watch back when I was a teen. I bought the DVD set for pure nostalgic reasons alone. When I saw the set so cheap I just couldn't help myself. The show is not as good as I remember it.. but it is entertaining enough and gives enough nostalgic value that it is worth the $9.86 I paid for the set. I never realized it when I was a kid... but it is now so obvious that the actor supplying the voice for Eric is none other then Donny Most (Ralph Mouth on Happy Days).

My Rating:
Pete