Author Topic: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon  (Read 77763 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:23 AM »
I agree that Night & Day was very creative and well executed. The twist at the end, while actually quite predictable, is clever and surprised me nonetheless.

However, I don't feel it has the same rewatchability as, let's say, One Man Band.

Critter

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2010, 06:31:25 AM »
My favourites of the shorts so far have been For the Birds, One Man Band and Lifted.

I have the Pixar Short films collection DVD, volume 1.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
My favourites of the shorts so far have been For the Birds, One Man Band and Lifted.
I would list the same three.

I have the Pixar Short films collection DVD, volume 1.
Me too. Awesome DVD, with some good special features too.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »
I loved Lifted...and Presto...the one with the magician and his rabbit.

I don't have that DVD..I'll probably pick it up sometime.

Najemikon

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
Hey, Sophie. Have you seen the Newt conception artwork that Pixar have released, as they have discontinued production of the film?

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=206933&id=35245929077&page=2

Critter

« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
I wish they did Newt instead of Cars 2.

W0m6at

« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2010, 02:45:12 AM »
Hey, Sophie. Have you seen the Newt conception artwork that Pixar have released, as they have discontinued production of the film?

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=206933&id=35245929077&page=2
Looks cool! Shame it was abandoned.

Critter

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Year: 2010

Director(s): Zack Snyder

Run Time: 90 min

Plot: When a young owl is abducted by an evil Owl army, he must escape with newfound friends to seek out the legendary Guardians to stop the menace.

Cast:
Emily Barclay - Gylfie
Abbie Cornish - Otulissa
Essie Davis - Marella
Adrienne DeFaria - Eglantine
Joel Edgerton - Metalbeak
Deborra-Lee Furness - Barran
Helen Mirren - Nyra
Ryan Kwanten - Kludd

DVD Extras:
•   Saw at Cinema

My Thoughts
This is without a doubt the best 3D I have seen in the cinema since Avatar. LOTG was a visually stunning film from start to finish, and I was literally in awe of how amazing the 3D was. It seems lately that 3D is just being slapped on as an afterthought for most films, and I’m finding that it generally doesn’t look very good, especially in live-action films. Computer animated films seem to deal with 3D better, and it ends up actually enhancing the experience instead of just hindering it. Of all the 3D animated films I have seen however, this would be very close to the best. I even jumped in my seat at one stage when something seemed to fly past the corner of my eye.

LOTG is quite exciting for me for many reasons, one of them being that it was made by Animal Logic, an Australian, Sydney-based animation and effects company. While it is technically an American film helmed by director Zack Snyder, there is an undeniable Australian essence to this piece. Not only was it made here, but many of the characters in the film have Australian, or some even New Zealand accents. Also, the film includes Australian wildlife such as Tasmanian Devils and Echidnas which was a thrill to see, as well as a nice surprise. Despite this the film isn’t actually set in Australia, it is set in a unique fantasy world.

Talking animals in computer animated films is something that many people seem to be getting sick of, but it is something that I personally love. As someone who spent all of her years as a child pouring over every single book in the Redwall series, I see talking animals as a fantastic medium of fantasy storytelling, and if done well I never get sick of it.

While breathtakingly beautiful, and computer animation on par with Pixar’s best, I must admit that this film did have its faults. Its sheer beauty could distract some people from a sometimes predictable plotline, and some rather cringe worthy dialogue with many corny lines. I have never read the books this film is based on, and I think that’s why I sometimes had trouble remembering which owl was which, but the story was very enjoyable for me overall, and the action scenes were outstanding, and definitely not for young children as it does get very violent.

A sample how visually stunning this film is (I recommend you watch in 1080p):

My Rating

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:31:26 AM by Critter »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »
I want to see this one..though with everything that has been going on around here lately, I haven't had a chance so far.

Critter

« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2010, 03:49:44 AM »
It looks amazing in 3D Marie, but if you miss out I'm sure it will be just as good on DVD or Blu-Ray. I'm already planning to get it on Blu when it comes out.

Najemikon

« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
Hey Sophie, check this out: Empire's Top 50 Animated Characters

What a brilliant choice for number 1!  ;D

Critter

« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:35 AM »
Haha I love number 1! Such an amazing choice. I was worried as I didn't agree with some of them on the list but overall it was very fun to look through . Especially because they chose such good images to represent each one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:05 AM »
Interesting list.  I like number 1 too. :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
Cool how they adeded the reader vote of a selection should be higher or lower :thumbup:

Good choice for #1. Obviously there are other contenders, but they have to finalize it somehow...

Critter

« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/awesome-toy-story-3-oscar-campaign/

You can tell this is the work of corporate Disney and not Pixar itself. Of course TS3 should get a best picture nod, but I think this is going about it the wrong way and drawing too much attention to the issue. If it should happen it should happen naturally. I personally find the "Best Animated Film" category in the Oscars to be very annoying. Ever since the category started not one animated film was even nominated for Best Picture, and why should it when it has a category all of it's own? If they got rid of the animated category altogether then I think it would be a more even playing field.