Author Topic: The Discussions Thread  (Read 171756 times)

hal9g

Re: The Discussions Thread
« Reply #480 on: July 13, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »
If anyone is curious - here's a link to my data file
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApdmZgrVbU3GdF9QWl9Wd0EyREtzbEw2MExOUlFEakE&hl=en&authkey=COin0bsB

That one will not be updated - I'm using my local Excel file - but it gives you an idea ;)

I'm now considering "The", "A", "An", "Les", "Le" and "La" as articles, and are therefore ignored for sorting purpose.
If I should add any other, let me know.

Others to consier:
German:der, die and das
Spanish: el and la
Italian: il, lo and la

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #481 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
I'm just finding this discussion now and I must say that the review database was the feature that reeled me in to DVDCollectorsOnline so my hats off to you Jimmy for all your effort in maintaining it to this point.  :thanks:  I'm glad someone decided to grab the baton and run with it to keep it alive. Hat tip to you too RossRoy!   :clap:

I'm not sure how or if I can help but if there is any way you think I can contribute I'm more than happy to lend a hand.   :D

Also, I'm cool with all the proposed exceptions pertaining to the sorting of the titles.

KC

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 13, 2010, 05:24:25 AM »
Thinking that when I started it the others had to convince me to not list the movies starting with the article "the" with the other movies starting with T. :laugh:

That's a lot of "the" for a single phrase :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 13, 2010, 06:13:42 AM »
Others to consier:
German:der, die and das
Spanish: el and la
Italian: il, lo and la
I had thought about mentioning the German ones, but then decided not to. I think "die" would cause more trouble then it would do good.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »
Probably since movies like Die Monster Die! or Die Screaming Marianne or Die You Zombie Bastards! just to name a few I own would be in the wrong spot.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2010, 06:21:58 AM »
Jimmy seems to have skipped these two reviews of mine:

The Saragossa ManuskriptgoodguyReview
The Hourglass SanatoriumgoodguyReview

As for articles, this is an extended, but not necessary complete list as regular expression:

Code: [Select]
^(?:A |An |Das |De |Den |Der |Des |Die |Een |Ein |Eine |El |I |Il |
L'(?=[^ ])|La |Las |Le |Les |Los |The |Un |Una |Une )

However, as Achim already pointed out, not all articles are safe for stripping. The following is the list I normally use. The English "An" is included, although technically it isn't safe, because of the German "An" (meaning "at").

Code: [Select]
^(?:A |An |Das |De |Den |Der |Des |Een |Ein |Eine |El |Il |
L'(?=[^ ])|La |Le |Les |The |Un |Una |Une )

Probably since movies like Die Monster Die! or Die Screaming Marianne or Die You Zombie Bastards! just to name a few I own would be in the wrong spot.

Or lesser known movies such as Die Hard... :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:27:27 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »
Yes, that means the longest movie title will almost touch the reviewers name, but that's only for one title.
Is it a safe bet to think it's this one?

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

So I guess I better not write a review for...

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes

:hmmmm: :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2010, 07:52:18 AM »
Go for it I won't have the longest movie title reviewed anymore :laugh:

Or lesser known movies such as Die Hard... :laugh:
But I don't own lesser known movies :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »

Yeah... Die would be awful difficult. I have several movies that start with the word Die as well. Though it would be nice if there was a way to separate it.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
Yeah... Die would be awful difficult. I have several movies that start with the word Die as well. Though it would be nice if there was a way to separate it.

Well, there is a way. For those special cases instead of using the formula to set the sort title, I just manually set it.

Just have to figure out how to use named formulas to beat the 7 nested formulas limit in Excel..

Oh and goodguy I'll add your two review to the next update
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:41:38 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #490 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:24 AM »
new update

BladeDragonfireReview
Bollywood/HollywoodTomReview
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BombKinkyCyborgReview
High AnxietyDragonfireReview
The Hourglass SanatoriumgoodguyReview
The Saragossa ManuscriptgoodguyReview
Warrior KingAchimReview

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 14, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
I guess you know the deal with me RossRoy...

I like to watch movies over and over again. I just can't help myself. So if you ever see one I already have a review for. we can either replace the link (which Jimmy said was easier then adding new) if it is a more detailed version... or ignore the new one if there is no real difference in the review type.

I will always try to remember to to mention it after the review... though I do forget sometimes. :P

I hope this is fine with you. If not what would you rather do for such occasions?
Pete

Critter

« Reply #492 on: July 14, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
I know I am a little late to the game here but I would just love to throw my sincere thanks out to RossRoy for taking over this topic. Our collected reviews is one of my favourite parts of the forum and something I would hate to see go.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 14, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
I know I said thanks to Jimmy for this but I forgot to thank you RossRoy for picking up and continuing with the review index.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

RossRoy

« Reply #494 on: July 14, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
Since I'm not doing as much work manually as Jimmy was, it's not a big deal for repeat viewings. We could keep them, or I can change the link. It's basically your choice - That goes for all of you, if you want a review change for a more recent one, or if you prefer keeping the old, just mention it.