Author Topic: The Discussions Thread  (Read 171667 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Discussions Thread
« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »
Currently I'm only considering "THE" as an article in the formula. It can be easily modified though.

How much work would it be for you to do the A & An? The reason I ask is that, if you do this, then you would have to move reviews to their proper filing letter. (i.e.) I have a review for A Face in the Crowd, which if you remove the article, would need to be moved to the F listing page.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »
Fixed

Our good friend "the sort title" to the rescue!

Currently I'm only considering "THE" as an article in the formula. It can be easily modified though.

Here's the solution I'm using:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/151447

I was too slow. This was exactly what I was going to propose. Attached a Excel sheet which contains the list like I would have probably done it. With sorting after date (for the update post) and title (for the index).
I hope it translates okay into English Excel. In the German Excel version the formulas are in German. I hope they are converted correctly in English Excel.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:20:53 PM by Tom »

RossRoy

« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
I was too slow. This was exactly what I was going to propose. Attached a Excel sheet which contains the list like I would have probably done it. With sorting after date (for the update post) and title (for the index).
I hope it translates okay into English Excel. In the German Excel version the formulas are in German. I hope they are converted correctly in English Excel.

Well, they convert correctly between french and english Excel so I don't see why it wouldn't translate fine into english. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the formulas in the excel file are all in english and just shown in the locale language

RossRoy

« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
Just looked at your file Tom, and it's pretty much what I'm doing - with a few differences.

Antares (& others):
Are we all agreed to move around movies like "A Few Good Men" from the A section to the F section and sorted as "Few Good Man" ??

It is time to ask for changes while I'm building the excel sheet index.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
Absolutely... A Few Good Men should be under "F"
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »
Thanks Jimmy for all your work and thanks Sebastien for taking it over! I will admit I don't read every review posted but I have looked at the list many times to find something. It is a huge asset to the site and will only get better with time.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2010, 12:36:24 AM »
Thanks for your sterling efforts Jimmy.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Thanks for all your thanks guys (is it really a correct phrasing :hmmmm:) and more importantly thanks to Sebastien for taking my place :thumbup:

I can't remember if it was Eric or Karsten who got the idea of using it to display the random review on the front page, but it was right at this time that the list had a real use. Of course the index was there, but we can re-read some old topics because of a review who appears on the home page.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:58 AM »
Absolutely... A Few Good Men should be under "F"

I agree too.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:02 AM »
I've always liked the list and appreciate all the work you put into keeping it up.  

I'm also glad that it will continue..it makes it so easy to see if someone has reviewed a certain movie....or even to see I've reviewed a movie here.   :laugh:  I've been sure that I had reviewed a few here, but then discovered I hadn't when I checked the list.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2010, 03:41:59 AM »
Thanks from me too Jimmy. I don't use it very often myself, but without the list the reviews would get lost on all those threads they are buried in. :thumbsup:

Thanks Sebsatien for taking over. :thumbsup:

RossRoy

« Reply #476 on: July 13, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »
New update (hope I didn't break anything in the process!)

The Constant GardenerJonReview
The Derby Stallionaddicted2comics(:P)Review
Edge of DarknessRickReview
KandaharHalReview
The Lake HouseHalReview

RossRoy

« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »
Karsten, for the update to the front page index, I've changed the format of the tables - I've removed the empty cells.

Yes, that means the longest movie title will almost touch the reviewers name, but that's only for one title.

Also, is there a way I could run it myself when I run an update or do you have to run it yourself?

RossRoy

« Reply #478 on: July 13, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
If anyone is curious - here's a link to my data file
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApdmZgrVbU3GdF9QWl9Wd0EyREtzbEw2MExOUlFEakE&hl=en&authkey=COin0bsB

That one will not be updated - I'm using my local Excel file - but it gives you an idea ;)

I'm now considering "The", "A", "An", "Les", "Le" and "La" as articles, and are therefore ignored for sorting purpose.
If I should add any other, let me know.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 13, 2010, 04:20:07 AM »
Yes, that means the longest movie title will almost touch the reviewers name, but that's only for one title.
Is it a safe bet to think it's this one?

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

The french article : un et une