Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78842 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 01:47:06 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 7
Episodes - 3

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 6
Episodes - 4
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 06:39:33 AM »

El amor brujo
Year of Release: 1986
Directed By: Carlos Saura
Starring: Antonio Gades, Cristina Hoyos, Laura del Sol, Juan Antonio Jimenes
Genre: Romance, Drama, Performing Arts, Musical

Overview:
The most straightforward narrative in the "Flamenco Trilogy" is also its most forthrightly theatrical, a modern take on composer Manuel de Falla's gypsy ballet, dressed up in pink sunsets and hellishly red fires. Set in a dusty Andalusian village, El amor brujo (Love, the Magician) is a seductive melodrama of a man (Antonio Gades) whose beloved is haunted by the ghost of another.

My Thoughts:
Such wonderful, gorgeous dancing!  Seriously, these folks are splendid, and if you enjoy classical dancing, especially flamenco, this is worth watching just for that alone.  Top that off with de Falla's wondeful music, and a haunting, romantic tale of love and betrayal, this was a great film. 

I should probably only recommend it to art film lovers, as it is done in a very minimalist fashion and set much more like it would be on stage than what one thinks of as a traditional movie.  I really enjoyed this film, however.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 06:40:03 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 7
Episodes - 3

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 7
Episodes - 4
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

Austin City Limits: R.E.M., Live from Austin, 2008

Yup, more Austin City Limits.  R.E.M. was the first rock band I ever liked; they were huge when I was in high school.  I've always favored their earlier stuff over their later music, but they sound really great here.  I think their modern music might translate even better live then it does album-wise.  I watched this on YouTube, but I think I might have to pick up the DVD.

4/5
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:52:36 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 7
Episodes - 3

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 7
Episodes - 5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »
     High School Musical: Remix (2006/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kenny Ortega
Writing:Peter Barsocchini (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Zac Efron as Troy Bolton
Vanessa Anne Hudgens as Gabriella Montez
Ashley Tisdale as Sharpay
Lucas Grabeel as Ryan
Alyson Reed as Ms. Darbus

Plot:
The power of music explodes in this spectacular Blu-ray Disc Remix Edition of the Emmy Award-winning High School Musical! The smash-hit Disney Channel Original Movie now features theater-quality sound, the best picture available, and awesome bonus features that will rock your world. Get a prime spot on the red carpet for the star-studded Hollywood premiere, and join the High School Reunion where the cast reunites in an exclusive interview to share how the movie phenomenon has changed their lives.

Plus, stand up and experience the Dance-Along, in which Troy, Gabriella, Sharpay and Ryan give step-by-step instructions to popular dance sequences "Get'cha Head In The Game" and "We're All In This Together." Watch five hot music videos, including two specially remixed versions of your favorite songs. In pristine picture, sound and quality only Blu-ray can deliver, this High School Musical Remix Edition is bigger, bolder and more rockin' than ever!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

I watched this one on Netflix with my daughter after work last night... and was kind of surprised that I actually enjoyed the story. Telling me to give the sequel a chance. I Liked most the characters here. I would say over-all worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »

Pete:
Movies- 9 (8 Reviewed)
Episodes - 3

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 7
Episodes - 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »

Futurama - Season 5 Episode 16: The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings
Fry makes a deal with the Robot Devil so he can become a skillful musician and win Leela's heart.

My Thoughts:
Much like "The Simpsons" when it originally aired I enjoyed this show... but not long after it I kinda gave up on it. While I still like the characters enough... not much here with this episode. It is no more then ok.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »

Yellow Submarine
Year of Release: 1968
Directed By: George Dunning
Starring: Paul Angelis, John Clive, Dick Emery, Geoff Hughes, Lance Percival
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Musical, Animation

Overview:
Join the greatest band of all time for a mind-blowing voyage you won't soon forget.  Heralded as "a cartoon landmark" (San Francisco Examiner), this visually stunning odyssey turned animation upside-down with its irreverent style and innovative techniques.

Once upon a time...or maybe twice, the unearthly paradise of Pepperland was taken over by the evil Blue Meanies.  All looked hopeless...until the Fab Four sailed in to save the day with humor, music and, of course, their yellow submarine.

Now restored with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and featuring classic Beatles tunes including the never-before-seen animated sequence "Hey Bulldog," this visionary masterpiece is "a funny, fascinating, whiz-bang tour de force" (Los Angeles Times)!

My Thoughts:
This is ridiculously fun, despite (or is it because..) being one of the trippiest movies ever made.  Vibrant colors, surreal beasts, and a complete disregard for the laws of physics make this an exploration into psychedelia.  Certainly one of the most unique animated films ever made.  I didn't remember The Beatles being quite as catty as they get at some points (calling the monster that gets in the sub 'ugly,' making fun of Ringo, and the "Nowhere Man" sequence come to mind here).  Still highly recommended if you like The Beatles, the 60's, or surrealism/psychedelia. 

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »

Austin City Limits: Reba McEntire, Live from Austin, 1988

Time for more Austin City Limits.  Like the R.E.M. episode, I watched this one on YouTube.  Video quality was not near as good; I expect this was ported over from someone's VHS recording.  The music is still good, though.  One almost forgets how big hair was in the 80's.  

3.5/5 (I like Reba, but not as much as any of the previous artists)

Austin City Limits: The Oak Ridge Boys, Live from Austin, 1985

Again, I watched this one on YouTube as well, and like the Reba episode, I believe it was ported over from someone's VHS recording.  Not near as good as Reba's episode, and there was a really unnecessary light/smoke show going on behind them.  Also the show dropped off abruptly, leading me to believe that this wasn't the entire episode.  Really missed my favorite song of theirs as well ("I'll Be True to You").

2.75/5

Austin City Limits: Nine Inch Nails, Live from Austin, 2015

Thought I'd give something different a try, and I remembered these guys not being terrible.  I'd still agree to that sentiment, and the sounded like something a couple of my more modern-music-loving co-workers would like, so I might play these guys at the shop at some point.  Also a YouTube watch, but this one has great video and sound quality.  Recommended if you like this band; but I probably won't ever watch it again.

3.5/5 (I'd rate it higher if I liked the music more)

Austin City Limits: Willie Nelson, Live from Austin, 1974

This is more to my taste.  Like you didn't know that already!  Great set from Willie for the inaugural episode of Austin City Limits.  This is also on YouTube, but with really good picture and sound quality for its age (much better than The Oak Ridge Boys, not as good as NIN).  Willie is so young!

4/5

Austin City Limits: George Strait, Live from Austin, 1989

George looks really young too.  Beautiful little set from a guy with a great voice and nothing to distract from the music.  This was ported over to YouTube from a CMT syndicated broadcast, but the sound and video are of pretty good quality (not as good as the NIN or the R.E.M. though).  Recommended.

4/5
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:03:58 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:15 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 9 (8 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 8
Episodes - 10
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:04:16 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »

Xanadu
Year of Release: 1980
Directed By: Robert Greenwald
Starring: Olivia Newton-John, Gene Kelly, Michael Beck
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Musical

Overview:
Step into a magical world with superstars Olivia Newton-John (Grease) and Gene Kelly (Singin' in the Rain) as they take you through one of the most extraordinary musicals in the beloved film, Xanadu! A beautiful muse is sent from up above to inspire a struggling artist and help motivate him to open a roller-disco. The dazzling soundtrack includes the hit songs "Magic," "I'm Alive," "All Over the World," "Suddenly" and the title song "Xanadu." Throw on your roller-skates, turn up the volume and enjoy this sparkling out-of-this-world fantasy!

My Thoughts:
This isn't as bad as lot of reviews give it, and certainly isn't one of the worst films of all time (despite being the inspiration for the Razzies). There's quite a bit to like here - the dance numbers are lots of fun, though the camera doesn't capture them as well it could. The soundtrack is great. Gene Kelly is wonderful as usual - he has the best dancing, the best lines, and the best character here. Actually, all round he is the best thing in the film. I could probably watch Gene Kelly in anything.

On the other hand, while Olivia Newton-John is pretty, she's not a particularly great actress. She's leaps and bounds over Michael Beck, however. His performance reminds me of the lead in a high school play. He has zero charisma and zero acting ability. Which is a problem for the plot, as it's hard to believe that a Greek muse would fall in love with this boring-ass chump. Actually, the plot could use a lot more development - the romance seems forced and we don't learn nearly enough about the mythology.

Still, I enjoyed it more of it than I didn't. Or maybe I like Gene Kelly rollerskating that much.

Overall: 2.75/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 9 (8 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 9
Episodes - 10
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
    High School Musical 2: Extended Edition (2007/United States)
Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kenny Ortega
Writing:Peter Barsocchini (Writer), Peter Barsocchini (Original Characters By)
Length:111 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Zac Efron as Troy Bolton
Vanessa Hudgens as Gabriella Montez
Ashley Tisdale as Sharpay Evans
Lucas Grabeel as Ryan Evans
Corbin Bleu as Chad Danforth

Plot:
It's time to sing and dance, because High School Musical 2: Extended Edition is a new experience on Blu-ray DiscĀ®, with a never-before-seen musical scene and a high definition picture and theater-quality sound.

The East High Wildcats are gearing up for big fun as they land the coolest summer jobs imaginable. Troy (Zac Efron), Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens), Chad (Corbin Bleu) and Taylor (Monique Coleman) have scored sweet gigs at the Lava Springs Country Club owned by Sharpay and Ryan's family. Sharpay's first rule of business: Get Troy. As Troy experiences a life of privilege he's never known, will he give up the Wildcats and Gabriella to rise to the top?

The fun heats up like never before as you catch every dance number in astonishing 1080p, and hear every song in mind-blowing 5.1 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio. High School Musical 2: Extended Edition on Blu-ray Disc is way 2 good 2 miss!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Karaoke

My Thoughts:

After enjoying the first one more then I thought I would I had to give this one a chance. While still an entertaining film... it is a rather large step down in quality of the story.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »
     Xanadu (1980/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Greenwald
Writing:Richard Christian Danus (Writer), Marc Reid Rubel (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Olivia Newton-John as Kira
Gene Kelly as Danny McGuire
Michael Beck as Sonny Malone
James Sloyan as Simpson
Dimitra Arliss as Helen

Plot:
Step into a magical world with superstars Olivia Newton-John (Grease) and Gene Kelly (Singin' in the Rain) as they take you through one of the most extraordinary musicals in the beloved film, Xanadu! A beautiful muse is sent from up above to inspire a struggling artist and help motivate him to open a roller-disco. The dazzling soundtrack includes the hit songs "Magic," "I'm Alive," "All Over the World," "Suddenly" and the title song "Xanadu." Throw on your roller-skates, turn up the volume and enjoy this sparkling out-of-this-world fantasy!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

OK... this one is a little hard for me to review. First of all it is one of the handful of films Dawn liked me to watch with her. Though not to the extent of some others. And this one has some good and some baf elements... pretty much equally.I think the storyline could have used some more development... maybe replace Michael Beck... because he just didn't impress any of us with his acting ability. And gotten rid of the cartoon segment all together. But the storyline is enjoyable... Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly were both great and it was able to easily keep my attention through-out the film. So I would say yes... this one is far from award winning material but I think it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete