Author Topic: My Neighbor Totoro  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
My Neighbor Totoro
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro)
Year of Release: 1988
Directed By: Hayao Miyazaki
Starring: Lisa Michaelson, Cheryl Chase, Gregory Snegoff, Kenneth Hartman
Genre: Fantasy

Overview:
Enter a whimsical "garden of earthly delights" (The New York Times), in this enchanting fantasy adventure that has become an international favorite of children around the world.

Deep inside a tree trunk, two children discover a fascinating new world inhabited by Totoros - amazing, charming creatures who become their friends. Some are big, some are small, but all of them are furry, lovable and ready to do wondrous, magical things...like fly over mountains and make giant trees grow in the middle of the night! Best of all, Totoros can't be seen by adults, only the children who love them.

With its imaginative characters, heartwarming story and striking animation by the award-winning Hayao Miyazaki, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO is "certain to delight" (Los Angeles Times) again and again.

My Thoughts:
Totoro is a perfect film; charming, magical, nostalgic. Totoro is a movie of simple beauty, of the enchantment of childhood and the magic of nature. It's a film of patience and the unfolding of life around us. It's a film with a simple story and superb animation. It's a film about wonder, about growing up, about responsibility, about children who act like children, and the profound reality of being human. A perfect film. Sit back and enjoy.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall: 5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Neighbor Totoro
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »
Being in the other room for most the film I didn't really get to enjoy it like you and Britt... but what I saw of it was good. Though I must say... found that cat bus to be right weird. Weird in a fun way of course... but weird all the same. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:18:40 AM »
When I saw it first time, the expectations were just to high and the film cold not quite deliver on the promises I had been given over the years. However, I did like it a lot and will revisit it in the future.

Hulot

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

Totoro is a perfect film; charming, magical, nostalgic. Totoro is a movie of simple beauty, of the enchantment of childhood and the magic of nature. It's a film of patience and the unfolding of life around us. It's a film with a simple story and superb animation. It's a film about wonder, about growing up, about responsibility, about children who act like children, and the profound reality of being human. A perfect film. Sit back and enjoy.

Overall: 5/5

Couldn't agree more. A perfect film indeed. I was overwhelmed by it’s originality and grace. It should be seen in the original Japanese language (it does make a difference).