Author Topic: DSigs What I'm Watching  (Read 40175 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DSigs What I'm Watching
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »
    Young Frankenstein: Special Edition (1974/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Mel Brooks
Writing:Gene Wilder (Story By), Mel Brooks (Story By), Gene Wilder (Screenwriter), Mel Brooks (Screenwriter), Mary Shelley [Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley] (1797) (Original Characters By)
Length:106 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein
Marty Feldman as Igor
Peter Boyle as the Monster
Teri Garr as Inga
Cloris Leachman as Frau Blücher
Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth

Plot:
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchbacked Igor (MARTY FELDMAN) and the curvaceous Inga (TERI GARR), he creates a monster (PETER BOYLE) who only wants to be loved. CLORIS LEACHMAN, MADELINE KAHN, KENNETH MARS and GENE HACKMAN co-star in this inspired vision of lunacy.

** Complete Plot (with spoilers) **
(click to show/hide)
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'Young Frankenstein' (1974) is directed by Mel Brooks (he was writer/director and often actor and producer for 'The Producers' (1968), 'The Twelve Chairs' (1970) a great underrated film, 'Blazing Saddles' (1974), 'Silent Movie' (1976), 'High Anxiety' (1977), 'History of the World, Part I' (1981), 'Spaceballs' (1987), 'Life Stinks' (1991), 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights' (1993) and 'Dracula: Dead and Loving It' (1995). It was co-written by Gene Wilder.

It stars Gene Wilder (Dr. Frederick Frankenstein), Marty Feldman (Igor), Peter Boyle (the Monster) and Teri Garr (Inga). With co-stars Cloris Leachman (Frau Blücher), Madeline Kahn (Elizabeth), Kenneth Mars (Inspector Kemp). Also featuring Richard Haydn (Herr Falkstein), Liam Dunn (Mr. Hilltop) and Danny Goldman (Medical student). There are bit 'cameos' from Gene Hackman (Harold, The Blind Man) and Mel Brooks (Helga's Father / Werewolf / Cat Hit by Dart / Victor Frankenstein (voice) (uncredited).

As have had said before, 'Young Frankenstein', 'Blazing Saddles' and possibly 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights' and 'Spaceballs' are the funniest of Mel Brooks movies. (okay .. maybe 'The Twelve Chairs' (1970) more of a preview of what was to come with 'Blazing Saddles' ).  Having just come off 'Blazing Saddles' the team of Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder are hitting the peak of their team work with 'Young Frankenstein'.

The jokes and gags (some that are easily missed Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "[pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?" .. Igor: "Abby... Normal". ) and continue throughout the entire movie. The film in black and white really gives the right ambiance. It is said that the equipment used in the laboratory is really the original equipment from the 1931 film 'Frankenstein'. I love this movie. Although there are 5-6 other Mel Brooks movies that i love I think this is his best. Just fickle that way.

Rating: I give this 4.5 of 5 stars.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:48:41 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 06:30:34 AM »
    The Wedding Planner (2001/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Adam Shankman
Writing:Pamela Falk (Writer), Michael Ellis (Writer)
Length:104 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jennifer Lopez as Mary Fiore
Matthew McConaughey as Steve Edison
Bridgette Wilson-Sampras as Fran Donolly
Justin Chambers as Massimo
Judy Greer as Penny

Plot:
Mary Fiore (Jennifer Lopez) is the wedding planner. She's ambitious, hard-working, extremely organized, and she knows exactly what to do and say to make any wedding a spectacular event. But when Mary falls (literally) for a handsome doctor (Matthew McConaughey), her busy yet uncomplicated life is turned upside down - he's the groom in the biggest wedding of her career! Will she help him walk down the aisle with his internet tycoon girlfriend (Bridgette Wilson-Sampras), or will Mary finally get to be the bride herself? As this sweet romantic comedy proves, when it comes to love, you can never plan what's going to happen.

(click to show/hide)
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'The Wedding Planner' (2001) is a romantic comedy directed by Adam Shankman (directed 'Bringing Down The House' (2003), 'The Pacifier' (2005), 'Bedtime Stories' (2008) along with credits for producing, acting and choreographer. Written by Michael J. Ellis.

It stars Jennifer Lopez (Maria 'Mary' Fiore) (my favorites include 'The Cell' (2000), 'Angel Eyes' (2001) and 'Enough' (2002)), Matthew McConaughey (Dr. Steven James 'Steve/Eddie' Edison) (my favorites being 'A Time to Kill' (1996), 'Larger than Life' (1996), 'Contact' (1997), 'EDtv' (1999), 'Reign of Fire' (2002), 'Sahara' (2005) and 'Fool's Gold' (2008)), Bridgette Wilson (Francine 'Fran' Donolly) and Justin Chambers (Massimo).

It also features Judy Greer (Penny) (my favorite 'Cursed' (2005)), Alex Rocco (Salvatore Fiore), Charles Kimbrough (Mr. Donolly), Joanna Gleason (Mrs. Donolly), Fred Willard (Basil St. Mosely), Lou Myers (Burt Weinberg), Frances Bay (Dottie), Kathy Najimy (Geri), and Dan Finnerty (Best Man).

This is a romantic comedy so there isn't a lot to really say. The plot line seems to be somewhat standard but it is well written with some fun dialog. The acting is good (or as good as modern romantic comedies get .. I am watching 'People Will Talk' (1951) while i am writing this and the comparisons in acting is stark ).  The movie did very well at the box office and started at number 1 the weekend it opened.  

I would be very happy to recommend this to anyone who likes romantic comedies .. 'chick flicks' it is fun and there are a lot worse ways to waste a couple of hours.

Rating: 3of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:48:13 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
    Darkness Falls: Special Edition (2003/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Jonathan Liebesman
Writing:John Fasano (Screenwriter), James Vanderbilt (Screenwriter), Joe Harris (Screenwriter), Joe Harris (Story By)
Length:86 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Chaney Kley as Kyle
Emma Caulfield as Caitlin
Lee Cormie as Michael
Grant Piro as Larry
Sullivan Stapleton as Matt

Plot:
An Eye for an Eye. Your Life for a Tooth.

As a young boy, Kyle (Chaney Kley) claimed to have seen the tooth fairy. He also claimed she tried to kill him.

Now over twelve years later, Kyle has left the town that never believed him. He has also left behind the two people who thought he was telling the truth, his childhood girlfriend Caitlin (Emma Caulfield) and her younger brother. And when evil again emerges in Darkness Falls, Kyle must return to do battle with the winged creature of doom he saw that night so many years ago. Because evil is back with a vengeance. And it's not leaving without Caitlin's brother.

(click to show/hide)
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Storyboards, The Legend of Matilda Dixon

My Thoughts:
Genre: Horror / Thriller
Have I seen it before: Yes
Do I Like it as much: Yes
Rating: 3.of5

'Darkness Falls' (2003) is directed by Jonathan Liebesman (the ones I have seen are 'Battle: Los Angeles' (2011) and 'Wrath of the Titans' (2012) ). Written by Joe Harris (this is the only one I have seen, and 'The Tripper' (2007) co written with David Arquette who directed).

It stars Chaney Kley (Kyle Walsh) ('Legally Blonde' (2001) the only other one I saw him in, 'Mr. Blue Sky' (2007), 'Jimmy and Judy' (2006), 'Gotham Cafe' (2005) and 'Skin Horse' (2003) and several TV shows), Emma Caulfield (Caitlin Greene) (I have seen none of these .. 'Bandwagon' (2004), 'Hallow' (2007), 'Why am I Doing This' (2009), 'TiMER' (2009), 'Confined' (2010) and 'Removal' (2010) and several TV shows) and Lee Cormie (Michael Greene) (I haven't see any of these .. 'Australia On Trial' (2012), 'The Colour Blue' (2011), 'Underbelly' (2010) and 'December Boys' (2007) and a couple of TV shows)

Also with Grant Piro (Larry Fleishman), John Stanton (Captain Thomas Henry), Sullivan Stapleton (Officer Matt Henry), Steve Mouzakis (Dr. Peter Murphy), Peter Curtin (Dr. Travis), Emily Browning (Young Caitlin Greene).

'Darkness Falls' is to my way of thinking, Jonathan Liebesman's best film. I did like his 'Battle: Los Angeles' .. i thought the filming was good but 'Wrath of the Titans' was just so so. But 'Darkness Falls' is really good/great. I think the direction and filming did increase the anxiety factor in the film. I also think that the actors did a good job. They played their parts well without seeming to just walk through it. It has to be hard to play off of/pretend to be afraid of something that isn't there. So acting they did well.

I also like this much better than the critics did. Over at Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/darkness_falls/) only had the movie at 9% out of 126 reviews. Look .. this isn't rocket science .. it is a scarey movie. Seldom are there totally new/unseen bits.

I recommend this to anyone who likes the genre and who is just looking to be entertained.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:47:47 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
    People Will Talk (1951/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Writing:Joseph L. Mankiewicz (Screenwriter), Curt Goetz (Original Material By)
Length:110 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Cary Grant as Doctor Noah Praetorius
Jeanne Crain as Deborah Higgins
Finlay Currie as Shunderson
Hume Cronyn as Professor Rodney Elwell
Walter Slezak as Professor Barker

Plot:
"People Will Talk" is a "brilliant comedy" (ASHVILLE MOUNTAIN XPRESS) that also possesses a rare and engaging poignancy.

Screen legend Cary Grant stars as Dr. Noah Praetorius, a lovable professor and head of a medical clinic who becomes the subject of a McCarthy-style investigation initiated by a jealous colleague (Hume Cronyn). Along the way, Praetorius befriends and ultimately marries a young woman who attempts suicide when she discovers she is pregnant.

But, as the witch-hunt into the good doctor's personal life progresses, so do the laughs in this well-crafted, all-star treasure that should be part of every film lover's collection of classics.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Romantic Drama (with bits of humor)
Rating: 4of5

'People Will Talk' (1951) is directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz (the ones I have seen are 'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir' (1947), 'No Way Out' (1950), 'All About Eve' (1950), 'Julius Caesar' (1953), 'The Barefoot Contessa' (1954), 'Guys and Dolls' (1955), 'Cleopatra' (1963), 'There Was a Crooked Man' (1970) and 'Sleuth' (1972)). The original play was written by Curt Goetz with updating by Joseph L. Mankiewicz for the screen.

It stars Cary Grant (Dr. Noah Praetorius) (although there are to many to list here are a few of my favorites .. 'Topper' (1937),'Bringing Up Baby' (1938), 'The Philadelphia Story' (1940), 'His Girl Friday' (1940), 'Arsenic and Old Lace' (1944), 'The Bishops Wife' (1947), 'Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House' (1948),'To Catch A Thief' (1955), 'An Affair to Remember' (1957), 'North by Northwest' (1959), 'Charade' (1963) and 'Father Goose' (1964)) and Jeanne Crain (Deborah Higgins) (ones i have seen 'Cheaper by the Dozen' (1950), 'Man Without a Star' (1955), 'The Fastest Gun Alive' (1956) and many others i have not seen including many TV shows).

Also features Finlay Currie (Shunderson) gives a very understated performance, Hume Cronyn (Prof. Rodney Elwell) great actor and i loved him in '*batteries are not include', Walter Slezak (Prof. Barker) another wonderful character actor in many many things, Sidney Blackmer (Arthur Higgins) was the father in 'High Society' and was in 'Outer Limits' episode 'The Hundred Days of the Dragon', Basil Ruysdael (Dean Lyman Brockwell) and Katherine Locke (Miss James).

I think that 'People Will Talk', though probably one of his least known works, is one of my favorite Cary Grant movies .. at least those of the romantic, comedic persuasion. I think his timing and character is great in this film. He is very likeable .. you care about what happens to him. Jeanne Crain is also very good in this. I liked her character and wanted to see what would happen. The direction is good. The filming is good but there are a few places that the picture seems to change, as if they went from film to video .. which they couldn't because there was no video then. But that doesn't really distract from the viewing. I stongly recommend this to anyone. It is great entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:47:21 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: Widescreen Collection (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Brad Silberling
Writing:Robert Gordon (Screenwriter), Daniel Handler [Lemony Snicket] (Original Material By)
Length:108 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jim Carrey as Count Olaf
Liam Aiken as Klaus
Emily Browning as Violet
Kara Hoffman as Sunny
Shelby Hoffman as Sunny

Plot:
Dear Viewer,

If you enjoy movies filled with singing rabbits, exploding spaceships, or cheerleaders, you are holding the wrong DVD entirely.

This movie is extremely alarming, an expression which here means "a thrilling misadventure involving three ingenious orphans and a villainous actor named Count Olaf (Carrey) who wants their enormous fortune." It includes a suspicious fire, delicious pasta, Jim Carrey, poorly behaved leeches, an incredibly deadly viper, Meryl Streep, and the voice of an impostor named Jude Law. The only things that could make such a spectacle more upsetting are special features, such as commentary by me or outtakes involving nervous laughter.

I am bound to continue my research into the lives of the Baudelaire orphans, but you are free to seek lighter fare, like bleu cheese fondue.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama with Comedy bits

'Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events' (2004) is a brilliant movie directed by Brad Silberling (the ones I have seen are 'Casper' (1995) and 'City of Angels' (1998)) from the books 'The Bad Beginning', 'The Reptile Room' and 'The Wide Window' which are the first 3 of 13 stories (only 10 at the time of release of the movie) by Daniel Handel using the pen name of Lemony Snicket and with the screenplay by Robert Gordon ('Addicted to Love' (1997) a brilliant movie staring Meg Ryan and Matthew Broderick, 'Galaxy Quest' (1999), 'Men in Black II' (2002) and 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow' (2004) as producer).

It stars Jim Carrey (Count Olaf) (with movies i like the most being 'Earth Girls are Easy' (1989), 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' (1994), 'The Mask' (1994), 'Dumb and Dumber' (1994), 'Batman Forever' (1995), 'The Truman Show' (1998), 'Man on the Moon' (1999) and 'Me, Myself & Irene' (2000)), Emily Browning (Violet Baudelaire) (with small parts i've seen her in 'Ghost Ship' (2002), 'Darkness Falls' (2003)), Liam Aiken (Klaus Baudelaire)(with small parts I have seen in 'Stepmom' (1998) and 'Road to Perdition' (2002)), Kara and Shelby Hoffman (Sunny Baudelaire) and the Voice of Jude Law (Lemony Snicket).

Also features Timothy Spall (Mr. Poe), Billy Connolly (Uncle Monty), Meryl Streep (Aunt Josephine), Catherine O'Hara (Justice Strauss) and Cedric the Entertainer (Constable). With Luis Guzmán (Bald Man), Jamie Harris (Fernald the Hook-handed man), Craig Ferguson (Person of Indeterminate Gender), Jane Adams and Jennifer Coolidge (White-Faced Women), Wayne Fleming (Captain Sam), Dustin Hoffman (Critic), Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket) (Photographer, Deborah Theaker (Mrs. Poe).

When I first heard about this moving coming out i became very interested in the books and started reading them .. i couldn't stop and read the 10 that were out at the time. I did read the final 3 and found them just as good. Although I had read the books I went into the movie with little expectation. I do tend to let movies speak in their own voice and that is exactly what this movie does. It does have the flavor of the books but it does vary in several ways.

That being said, I found this to just as good as the books. The flavor and characters are consistent with the books. The characters of Count Olaf, Violet Baudelaire and Klaus Baudelair are true to the books though I think that Count Olaf is a bit more zany in the movie than in the books.

By the way there is a great wikipedia article on the book series A Series of Unfortunate Events and here is the link to the official site for the books series. It is a create fun site.

I would strongly recommend this movie to anyone (unless they don't like Jim Carrey). It is simply great entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:46:47 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 05:22:09 AM »
    Basic (2003/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:John McTiernan
Writing:James Vanderbilt (Original Material By)
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
John Travolta as Hardy
Connie Nielsen as Osborne
Samuel L. Jackson as West
Tim Daly as Styles
Giovanni Ribisi as Kendall

Plot:
Academy Award© nominees John Travolta (Best Actor in a Leading Role, Pulp Fiction, 1994) and Samuel L. Jackson (Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Pulp Fiction, 1994) team up with action director John McTiernan (Die Hard, The Hunt for Red October, Predator) in a white-knuckle "thrill ride with a twist you won't believe!" (MairiAnna Bachynsky, ATV/CTV ENTERTAINMENT). Also starring Connie Nielsen (The Hunted, Gladiator), Giovanni Ribisi (Gone In Sixty Seconds), Brian Van Holt (Black Hawk Down), Taye Diggs (Chicago) and Roselyn Sanchez (Rush Hour 2).

A DEA officer (Travolta) is recruited to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a famed U.S. Army drill instructor (Jackson) and a group of cadets on a routine military exercise in the jungles of Panama. But the journey to uncover the truth leads to some dangerous and unexpected places when two rescued survivors tell dramatically different versions of what transpired. "Totally Mesmerizing." (Lisa Petrillo, WFOR/CBS (Miami)/EXTRA)

(click to show/hide)
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama / thriller
Have I seen it before: No
Do I Like it as much:
Rating: 3.5of5

'Basic' (2003) is a very good thriller directed by John McTiernam (the ones I have seen are 'Nomads' (1986) a very under rated film staring Pierce Bronsan, 'Predator' (1987), 'Die Hard' (1988), 'Medicine Man' (1992), 'Last Action Hero' (1993), 'Die Hard with a Vengeance' (1995), 'The 13th Warrior' (1999), 'The Thomas Crown Affair' (1999) and 'RollerBall' (2002), with screenplay (and produced) by James Vanderbill ('Darkness Falls' (2003), 'Zodiac' 2007), 'The Amazing Spider-Man' (relaunch) (2012) and the upcoming 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' (2014).

It stars John Travolta (DEA Agent Tom Hardy)(with my favorites being 'Blow Out' (1981), 'Get Shorty' (1995), 'Michael' (1995), 'Phenomenon' (1996), 'Broken Arrow' (1996), 'Civil Action' (1998), 'The General's Daughter' (1999), 'Domestic Disturbance' (2001) and 'Wild Hogs' (2007)), Connie Nielsen (Captain Julia Osborne)(with the ones I have seen being 'The Devil's Advocate' (1997), 'Rushmore' (1998), 'Soldier' (1998), 'Mission to Mars' (2000), 'One Hour Photo' (2002), 'The Hunted' (2003), 'The Ice Harvest' (2005)) and Samuel L. Jackson (Master Sergeant Nathan West) (with my favorites being 'Coming to America' (1988) funny bit, 'Sea of Love' (1989) just a bit part, 'Strictly Business' (1991) another bit part, 'Patriot Games' (1992), 'Amos & Andrew' (1993) a brilliant role, 'Die Hard with a Vengeance' (1995), 'The Great White Hype' (1996), 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' (1996) another great role for him, 'Sphere' (1998), 'The Negotiator' (1998), 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' (2003) and 'Shaft' (2000) and many more).

Also features Tim Daly (Colonel Bill Styles), Giovanni Ribisi (Second Lieutenant Levi Kendall), Brian Van Holt (Ray Dunbar), Taye Diggs (Jay Pike), Dash Mihok (Mueller), Cristián de la Fuente (Castro), Roselyn Sánchez (Nuñez) and Harry Connick, Jr. (Dr. Peter Vilmer).

Although this film did not get very good reviews, I think this is a great 'who done it' with some very nice twists and turns. The filming and direction are very tight. The characters believable. A possible downside to this movie is that you have to pay attention or you might miss some clues as to what is going on. I would recomment this to anyone who likes thrillers and good entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:46:13 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »
     Darkness: Unrated Version (2002/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Dimension Home Video (United States)
Director:Jaume Balagueró
Writing:Jaume Balagueró (Writer), Fernando de Felipe (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Anna Paquin as Regina
Lena Olin as Maria
Iain Glen as Mark
Giancarlo Giannini as Albert Rua
Fele Martínez as Carlos

Plot:
This extended unrated version of the hit thriller Darkness teams award winner Anna Paquin (X-Men ) with Lena Olin (Hollywood Homicide, Chocolat) and Iain Glen (Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) as a family whose life forever changes when they move into a new home with an ancient secret! Not long after Regina (Paquin) begins living in her family's remote country estate, she learns that there's something horribly disturbing about the old place. Even as her parents dismiss her concerns, strange things begin to happen whenever the lights go out. Soon Regina realizes that a series of escalating supernatural events will unleash the full evil that resides in their house...and once it's released you'll experience it like never before in this scarier, more shocking unrated version!

** Complete Plot (with Spoilers) **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

'Darkness' (2002) is a very good horror film directed by Jaume Balaguero (I believe that 'Fragile' (2005) is the only one I have seen) and written by Jaume Balaguero and Fernando de Felipe.

It stars Anna Paquin (for me her best films have been 'X-Men' (2000), 'Almost Famous' (2000), 'X2' (2003), 'X-Men: The Last Stand' (2006) and her great protryal of Sookie Stackhouse in the HBO series 'True Blood'), Lena Olin ('Havana' (1990), 'Mystery Men' (1999), 'The Ninth Gate' (1999), 'Chocolat' (2000), 'Queen of the Damned' (2002) and 'Hollywood Homicide' (2003) ) and Iain Glen ('Gorrilas in the Mist' (1988), 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' (2001), 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' (2004), 'Kingdom of Heaven' (2005) and 'Resident Evil: Extinction' (2007) along with staring in the Showtime show 'Game of Thrones').

It also features Giancarlo Giannini (Albert Rua), Fele Martínez (Carlos), Stephan Enquist (Paul) and Fermin Reixach (Villalobos).

First, I really like this type of movie. I like the intensity without the blood spatter. I have always found that what you don't see is much more scary than what you might see. I also like Anna Paquin in this. But I like her in most everything I have seen (that is a double entendre). Lena Olin is great as the mother who is on the precipice of sanity/insanity. And Iain Glen is excellent depicting the complete lost of sanity.

I really do like this movie. It does raise my hackles and gets me looking into the shadows. Just what a movie like this should do. I recommend this to anyone who likes the genre. It can be intense so it isn't for everyone.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »
    The Whistleblower (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:0 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:

** Complete Plot (including spoilers) **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:

My Thoughts:
Do I Like it as much:

'The Whistleblower' (2010) is a thriller film directed by Larysa Kondracki and written by Larysa Kondracki and Eilis Kirwan.

It stars Rachel Weisz (Kathryn Bolkovac) (ones that i have see are 'Chain Reaction' (1996), 'Stealing Beauty' (1996), 'The Mummy' (1999), 'Enemy at the Gates' (2001), 'The Mummy Returns' (2001), 'About a Boy' (2001), 'Runaway Jury' (2003), 'Constantine' (2005), 'The Fountain' (2006), 'Eragon' (2006), 'Fred Claus' (2007), 'Definitely, Maybe' (2008) and 'Lovely Bones' (2009)), Vanessa Redgrave (Madeleine Rees) ('Murder on the Orient Express' (1974), 'The Seven-Per-Cent Solution' (1976), 'A Man for All Seasons' (1988), 'Mission: Impossible' (1996) and 'Deep Impact' (1998)), Benedict Cumberbatch (Nick Kaufman) ('The Other Boleyn Girl' (2008)) and David Strathairn (Peter Ward) ('A League of Their Own' (1992), 'Passion Fish' (1992), 'The Firm' (1993), 'The River Wild' (1994), 'Dolores Claiborne' (1995), 'Home for the Holidays' (1995), 'Lathe of Heaven' (2002), 'Twisted' (2004), 'Good Night, and Good Luck' (2005), 'Fracture' (2007), 'The Bourne Ultimatum' (2007) and 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' (2008)).

It also features Roxana Condurache (Raya Kochan), Monica Bellucci (Laura Leviani), Nikolaj Lie Kaas (Jan), Anna Anissimova (Zoe), David Hewlett (Fred Murray), William Hope (John Blakely).

This is a very good thriller based on the life experiences of Kathryn Bolkovac. It is the story of the corruption and sex trade trafficking that went on in post-war Bosnia and the ties with a company called Democra Security which was a U.N. contractor. This movie is tense and the story tracks very well. Rachel Weisz is very good in this and her character is someone you take an interest in. This movie will back any suspicions you might have about the corruption in all forms of governmental interventions in countrys politics.

I like this one very much and am happy to recommend it to anyone.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
     2001: A Space Odyssey (1968/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment Company (United States)
Director:Stanley Kubrick
Writing:Stanley Kubrick (Screenwriter), Arthur C. Clarke (Screenwriter)
Length:149 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: PCM: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Keir Dullea as Dr. Dave Bowman
Gary Lockwood as Dr. Frank Poole
William Sylvester as Dr. Heywood R. Floyd
Daniel Richter (1939) as Moonwatcher
Leonard Rossiter as Dr. Andre Smyslov

Plot:
Stanley Kubrick's dazzling, Academy Award®-winning** achievement, a compelling drama of man vs. machine, a stunning meld of music and motion. Kubrick (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke) first visits our prehistoric ape-ancestry past, then leaps millennia (via one of the most mind-blowing jump cuts ever) into colonized space, and ultimately whisks astronaut Bowman (Keir Dullea) into uncharted realms of space, perhaps even into immortality. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL." Let an awesome journey unlike any other begin.

**1968: Best Visual Effects (Kubrick).

** Complete Plot (with spoilers) from Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:
Genre: Science Fiction

Rating: 4.5of5

'2001: A Space Odyssey' (1968 with filming starting in 1965) is a masterpiece of science fiction, direction and cinematography. Directed by Stanley Kubrick (my favorites being 'Spartacus' (1960), 'Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' (1964), 'A Clockwork Orange' (1971), 'The Shining' (1980), 'Eyes Wide Shut' (1999) plus work on 'A.I. Artificial Intelligence'), and co-written by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke (favorite works include 'Childhood's End' (1953), '2001: A Space Odyssey' (1968), 'Rendezvous with Rama' (1972) and 'Fountains of Paradise' (1982)).

It stars (what i have seen)
  • Keir Dullea (Dr. David Bowman) ('Bunny Lake is Missing' (1965), '2010' (1984), 'Alien Hunter' (2003) in a bit part, and many possible TV shows)
  • Gary Lockwood (Dr. Frank Poole) ('Wild in the Country' (1961), 'Splendor in the Grass' (1961), 'Firecreek' (1968) and several TV shows)
  • William Sylvester (Dr. Heywood R. Floyd) ('Heaven Can Wait' (1978) plus several TV shows)
  • Douglas Rain (the voice of the HAL 9000) (voice in 'Sleeper' (1973) paying homage to '2001: A Space Odyssey', '2010' (1984) as the voice of the HAL 9000 ).
  • Daniel Richter (the chief man-ape)

The film also features Leonard Rossiter (Dr. Andrei Smyslov), Margaret Tyzack (Elena), Robert Beatty (Dr. Ralph Halvorsen), Frank Miller (mission controller), Edward Bishop (lunar shuttle captain), Edwina Carroll (Aries stewardess), Penny Brahms (stewardess), Heather Downham (stewardess), Alan Gifford (Poole's father), Ann Gillis (Poole's mother).

First, this film has been written about before here by Achim here but I have just picked up the Blu-Ray version of the movie and since I haven't seen it for a very long time I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

There really isn't anything new with this discussion. I don't buy a lot of Blu-Ray discs but normally only for 'special' movies. To me this includes movies that the visuals are so outstanding that I want the best possible showing I can get. '2001: A Space Odyssey' definitely falls into this category.

The artwork, cinematography and direction of this film is simply brilliant. If for nothing else this would be enough to to purchase the Blu-Ray version. But this film has much more. Now I don't pretend to understand all the nuances of the film. I don't pretend to understand the total 'message' (if there is one) of the film. But then this is quite often the case when I read Arthur C. Clarke stories. But I find the story engaging. From the 'Dawn of Man' and the monolith's involvement (alien involvement? "God's" involvement) with the evolution in thought/behavior of the apes, to the possible evolution in man to the 'Star Child'.

I believe that this movie is a milestone. Not only in the process of filming but also in the process of story telling. To me the thought and process that went into this film, in all facets of the film, is simply staggering. I do not understand those that do not enjoy this film, but my feelings are that 'they' just over think the movie. If you try to find explanations in this film I don't believe you will. This is a film that has to be experienced. I would recommend this to anyone who likes thrillers and good entertainment.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
     Sneakers: Widescreen (1992/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Home Video (United States)
Director:Phil Alden Robinson
Writing:Phil Alden Robinson (Writer), Lawrence Lasker (Writer), Walter F. Parkes (Writer)
Length:125 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Robert Redford as Martin Bishop/Martin Brice
Ben Kingsley as Cosmo
Sidney Poitier as Donald Crease
David Strathairn as Erwin "Whistler" Emory
Dan Aykroyd as Darryl "Mother" Roskow
River Phoenix as Carl Arbogast
Mary McDonnell as Liz

Plot:
Robert Redford leads an all-star cast in one of the most satisfying suspense films! Computer expert Martin Bishop (Redford) heads a team of renegade hackers — including a former CIA employee (Sidney Poitier), a gadgets wizard (Dan Aykroyd), a young genius (River Phoenix) and a blind soundman (David Strathairn) — who are routinely hired to test security systems. But Bishop's past comes back to haunt him when government agents blackmail the "sneakers" into carrying out a covert operation: tracking down an elusive black box. Along with his former girlfriend (Mary McDonnell), Bishop's team retrieves the box and makes a stunning discovery — the device can break into any computer system in the world. With factions from all sides willing to kill for the powerful box, Bishop and his team embark on their most dangerous assignment ever in this exhilarating high-tech caper from Phil Alden Robinson (Field of Dreams).

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama (also described as 'Caper' film)

'Sneakers' (1992) is a a fine 'Caper' film directed by Phil Alden Robinson (my favorites being 'All of Me' (1984), 'Fletch' (1985), 'In the Mood' (1987) a very fun movie, 'Field of Dreams' (1989) a must see/have and 'The Sum of All Fears' (2002)) and written by Phil Alden Robinson, Walter F. Parkes (that i have seen involved as writer/producer etc with such movies as 'WarGames' (1983), 'Awakenings' (1990), 'Little Giants' (1994), 'To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar' (1995) a brilliant movie, 'The Peacemaker' (1997), 'Men in Black' (1997), 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' (2007) and many more) and Lawrence Lasker ( that i have seen with credits for 'WarGames' (1983), 'Project X' (1987), 'Awakenings' (1990)).

It stars (what i have seen) a great ensemble case of
  • Robert Redford (Martin Bishop/Martin Brice) (so many credits by my favorites as actor are 'An Unfinished Life' (2005), 'The Last Castle' (2001), 'Spy Game' (2001), 'Indecent Proposal' (1993), 'The Natural' (1984), 'Brubaker' (1980), 'The Way We Were' (1973), ' Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' (1969))
  • Ben Kingsley (Cosmo) (once again my favorites are 'Gandhi' (1982), 'Dave' (1993), 'Death and the Maiden' (1994), 'Species' (1995), 'The Tale of Sweeney Todd' (1998), 'Rules of Engagement' (2000), 'Sexy Beast' (2000) I have problems with this movie but his performance was very stong, 'Suspect Zero' (2004), 'BloodRayne' (2005), 'Stutter Island' (2010))
  • Sidney Poitier (Donald Crease) (favorites being .. 'No Way Out' (1950), 'Blackboard Jungle' (1955), 'The Defiant Ones' (1958), 'Lilies of the Field' (1963), 'The Bedford Incident' (1965), 'A Patch of Blue' (1965), 'Duel at Diablo' (1966), 'In the Heat of the Night' (1967), 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' (1967), 'Shoot to Kill' (1988) great action drama and 'Little Nikita' (1988)
  • David Strathairn (Erwin "Whistler" Emory) (favorites being .. 'A League of Their Own' (1992), 'Passion Fish' (1992), 'The Firm' (1993), 'The River Wild' (1994), 'Dolores Claiborne' (1995), 'Home for the Holidays' (1995), 'Lathe of Heaven' (2002), 'Twisted' (2004), 'Good Night, and Good Luck' (2005), 'Fracture' (2007), 'The Bourne Ultimatum' (2007) and 'The Spiderwick Chronicles' (2008))
  • Dan Aykroyd (Darryl "Mother" Roskow) ('The Blues Brothers' (1980), 'Neighbors' (1980 greatly under rated, 'Doctor Detroit' (1983), 'Trading Places' (1983), 'Ghostbusters' (1984), 'Dragnet' (1987), 'The Couch Trip' (1988), 'The Great Outdoors' (1988), 'Ghostbusters II' (1989), 'Loose Cannons' (1990), 'My Girl' (1991), 'Nothing But Trouble' (1991), 'Coneheads' (1993), 'Exit to Eden' (1994), 'North' (1994), 'Casper' (1995), 'Celtic Pride' (1996), 'My Fellow Americans' (1996), 'Sgt bilko' (1996))
  • River Phoenix (Carl Arbogast) (due to his short life this list is short but with some great works 'Explorers' (1985), 'Stand By Me' (1986), 'Little Nikita' (1988), 'Running on Empty' (1998) this being my favorite, 'My Own Private Idaho' (1991))
  • Mary McDonnell (Liz) ( billiant in 'Battlestar Galactica' (2004-2009), 'Dances with Wolves' (1990), 'Grand Canyon' (1991), 'Mumford' (1999), 'Donnie Darko' (2001) and 'The Closer' (2009-present)

The film also features Stephen Tobolowsky (Werner Brandes), Timothy Busfield (Dick Gordon), Eddie Jones (Buddy Wallace), George Hearn (Gregor), Donal Logue (Dr. Gunter Janek), Lee Garlington (Dr. Elena Rhyzkov) and James Earl Jones (NSA Agent Bernard Abbott).

This is a great action/drama 'caper' film. The characters are excellent and the story line is tight. All the actors seem to work well together and their experience tends to make their work seamless. Ben Kingsley makes an excellent bad guy and plays well against Robert Redford. No rocket science here but good story. I would recommend this to anyone who likes good entertainment.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2012, 11:25:11 PM »
     Gunfight at the O.K. Corral: Widescreen Collection (1957/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Sturges
Writing:Leon Uris (Screenwriter), George Scullin (Original Material By)
Length:122 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp, Marshal
Kirk Douglas as Dr. John 'Doc' Holliday
Rhonda Fleming as Laura Denbow
Jo Van Fleet as Kate Fisher, Doc's Woman
John Ireland as Johnny Ringo, Clanton's Hired Gun

Plot:
A gang of ruthless outlaws...a pair of larger-than-life heroes...a timeless tale of good versus evil. Blended together, the result is a sprawling, epic adventure bigger than the wild frontier – Gunfight at the O.K. Corral'! Acclaimed actors Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas team up to rid Tombstone, Arizona of the murderous Clanton gang in this all-star, action-packed classic. When lawman Wyatt Earp (Lancaser) and gunfighter John "Doc" Holliday (Douglas) ride into town, they find themselves pitted against one of the biggest foes ever encountered, in the form of Ike Clanton (Lyle Bettger) and his ruthless gang. It isn't long before the confrontation explodes into a survival-at-all-costs battle, with Rhonda Fleming, Jo Van Fleet, John Ireland, Dennis Hopper, DeForest Kelly, Martin Milner and Lee Van Cleef among those swept into the drama and the excitement of one of the Wild West's most legendary events!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Western

'Gunfight at the O.K. Corral' (1957) is a a fine western film
  • produced by Hal B. Wallis ('Little Caesar' (1931), 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1938), 'Santa Fe Trail' (1940), 'Sergeant York' (1941), 'The Maltese Falcon' (1941). 'They Died with Their Boots On' (1941), 'Casablanca' (1942), 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' (1942), 'King Creole' (1958), 'G.I. Blues' (1960), 'Blue Hawaii' (1961), 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' (1962), 'Fun in Acapulco' (1963) and 'True Grit' (1969)
  • directed by John Sturges (my favorites being 'Bad Day at Black Rock' (1955), The Old Man and the Sea (1958), Last Train from Gun Hill (1959), The Magnificent Seven (1960), Sergeants 3 (1962), The Great Escape (1963), The Satan Bug (1965), Hour of the Gun (1967), Ice Station Zebra (1968) and Joe Kidd (1972))
  • written by Leon Uris from a story by George Scullin

• Burt Lancaster (Marshal Wyatt Earp) ('Sorry, Wrong Number' (1948), 'Jim Thorpe – All-American' (1951), ' The Crimson Pirate' (1952), ' From Here to Eternity' (1953), 'Trapeze' (1956), 'The Rainmaker' (1956), 'Elmer Gantry' (1960) great movie .. hard to watch, 'Birdman of Alcatraz' (1962), 'The Professionals' (1966), 'Valdez Is Coming' (1971), 'The Island of Dr. Moreau' (1977), 'The Osterman Weekend' (1983), 'Tough Guys' (1986) and 'Field of Dreams' (1989)
  • Kirk Douglas (Doc Holliday) ('The Glass Menagerie' (1950), 'The Big Sky' (1952), '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' (1954), 'Man Without a Star' (1955), 'Lust for Life' (1956), 'The Vikings' (1958), 'Last Train from Gun Hill' (1959), 'Spartacus' (1960), 'Lonely Are the Brave' (1962), 'The War Wagon' (1967), 'There Was a Crooked Man...' (1970), 'Saturn 3' (1980), 'The Final Countdown' (1980), 'The Man from Snowy River' (1982), 'Tough Guys' (1986) and 'Greedy' (1994)
  • Rhonda Fleming (Laura Denbow) ('Abilene Town' (1946))
  • Jo Van Fleet (Kate Fisher) ('East of Eden' (1955), 'Cool Hand Luke' (1967) and 'I Love You, ALice B. Toklas (1968)
  • John Ireland (Johnny Ringo) (' My Darling Clementine' (1944), 'Red River' (1948), 'The Fast and the Furious' (1955), 'Spartacus' (1960), 'Wild in the Country' (1961)
  • Lyle Bettger (Ike Clanton) ('Drums Across the River' (1954), 'The Lone Ranger' (1956) and lots of TV shows most of the time as a bad guy)

The film also features Frank Faylen (Cotton Wilson), Earl Holliman (Deputy Sheriff Charlie Bassett), Ted de Corsia (Shanghai Pierce), Dennis Hopper (Billy Clanton), Whit Bissell (John P. Clum), George Mathews (John Shanssey), John Hudson (Virgil Earp), DeForest Kelley (Morgan Earp), Martin Milner (James 'Jimmy' Earp), Lee Van Cleef (Ed Bailey) and Jack Elam (Tom McLowery)

First note that for Dennis Hopper this was his 4th role, with more time in this than in the other films. With some great supporting work by Jack Elam, DeForest Kelly (Dr Leonard McCoy on 'Star Trek' (1966-1969). This is a great western from the '50/'60.

There is little historical accuracy in this movie (there is a great article with additional links to historical information about all participants at Wikipedia) .. true there was someone named Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday, and there was a town named Tombstone .. but that is about as close as this movie gets.

That being said, this is great entertainment from a period in American films that brought us many great movies of this type. The characters are well written and portrayed. The filming direction and cinematography is stunning. I like this version as well as the 'Tombstone' (1993) and 'Wyatt Earp' (1994). I think they all bring unique features and viewpoints. Although i like some slants on characters better here or there (for example the playoff between Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday) and Michael Biehn (Johhny Ringo) in 'Tombstone' is very good) I think that the 1957 version holds up as well as the newer version.

For anyone who likes the western genre I heartily suggest this film.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 03:59:24 AM »
     The Sentinel: Widescreen (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Clark Johnson
Writing:Gerald Petievich (Original Material By), George Nolfi (Screenwriter)
Length:108 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Michael Douglas (1944) as Pete Garrison
Kiefer Sutherland as David Breckinridge
Eva Longoria as Jill Marin
Martin Donovan as William Montrose
Ritchie Coster as The Handler

Plot:
Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland, Eva Longoria and Kim Basinger head up "the perfect cast" (CBS-TV, Sacramento) in this gripping suspense thriller that delivers "nonstop action around every turn!" (NBC-TV, Houston).

There's never been a traitor in the United States Secret Service...until now. And the evidence points to Pete Garrison (Douglas), one of the most trusted agents on the force. Now on the run, with two relentless federal investigators (Sutherland and Longoria) hot on his heels, Garrison must fight to clear his name and thwart an attempt on the President's life before it's too late!

** Complete Plot (including spoilers) from Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama, Thriller

'The Sentinel' (2006) is a thriller
  • produced by Michael Douglas (other producer credits include 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' (1975), 'The China Syndrome' (1979), 'Romancing the Stone' (1984), 'The Jewel of the Nile' (1985), 'The Ghost and the Darkness' (1996). 'One Night at McCool's' (2001)
  • produced by Marcy Drogin
  • produced by Arnon Milchan 'Brazil' (1985), 'Pretty Woman' (1990), 'Under Siege' (1992), 'Natural Born Killers' (1994) and 'Unfaithful' (2002)
  • directed by Clark Johnson (my favorites being 'S.W.A.T.' (2003) along with a number of TV shows/series including 'La Femme Nikita' TV series (1998), 'The Shield' TV series (2002–2008), 'Homeland' TV series (2011)
  • written by George Nolfi from a novel by Gerald Petievich (credits include 'Ocean's Twelve' (2004), 'The Bourne Ultimatum' (with Tony Gilroy and Scott Z. Burns) (2007), 'The Adjustment Bureau' (2011) (also Director/Producer)

• Michael Douglas (Pete Garrison) ('Coma' (1978), 'The China Syndrome' (1979), 'The Star Chamber' (1979), 'Romancing the Stone' (1984), 'The Jewel of the Nile' (1985), 'Fatal Attraction' (1987), 'War of the Roses' (1989), 'Black Rain' (1989), 'Basic Instinct' (1992), 'Falling Down' (1993) a monster of a movie, 'Disclosure' (1994), 'The American President' (1995), 'The Game' (1997) another great movie, 'Wonder Boys' (2000), 'Don't Say a Word' (2001) a great thriller, 'The In-Laws' (2003), 'You, Me and Dupree' (2006), 'King of California' (2006)
  • Kiefer Sutherland (David Breckinridge) ('Max Dugan Returns' (1983) real early bit part, 'Stand by Me' (1986), 'Lost Boys' (1987), 'Young Guns' (1988), 'Young Guns II' (1990), 'Flatliners' (1990), 'A Few Good Men' (1992), 'The Three Musketeers' (1993), 'The Vanishing' (1993), 'The Cowboy Way' (1994), 'Eye for an Eye' (1996), 'A Time to Kill' (1996), 'Dark City' (1998), 'Phone Booth' (2003) real creapy voice, 'Taking Lives' (2004)
  • Eva Longoria (Jill Marin) (includes TV series 'Desperate Housewives' (2004-2012)
  • Kim Basinger (First Lady Sarah Ballentine) ('Mother Lode' (1982), 'Never Say Never Again' (1983), 'The Natural' (1984), 'Nadine' (1987), 'Bless the Child' (2000), 'The Door in the Floor' (2004), 'Cellular' (2004)
  • Martin Donovan (William Montrose) ('Insomnia' (2002), 'Agent Cody Banks' (2003), episodes of 'Weeds' (2005)
  • Ritchie Coster (The Handler) ('The Thomas Crown Affair' (1999), 'The Dark Knight' (2008), 'Let Me In' (2010) and the 'Bounty Hunter' (2010)
  • David Rasche (President Ballentine) ('Best Defense' (1984), 'Cobra' (1986), 'Made in Heaven' (1987), 'Delirious' (1991), 'That Old Feeling' (1997), 'Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood' (2002), 'Burn After Reading' (2008)
  • Blair Brown (National Security Advisor) ('The Paper Chase' (1973), 'Altered States' (1980), 'Continental Divide' (1981) BRAVO, 'The Astronaut's Wife' (1999), 'Space Cowboys' (1999) plus many TV shows/series including 'The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd', 'Fringe' (2008-present) and 'Falling Skies'

This film also features Kristin Lehman (Cindy Breckinridge), Raynor Scheine (Walter Xavier), Chuck Shamata (Director Overbrook), Paul Calderón (Deputy Director Cortes), Clark Johnson (Charlie Merriweather), Raoul Bhaneja (Aziz Hassad), Yanna McIntosh (Teddy Vargas), Joshua Peace (Agent Davies), Simon Reynolds (Tom DiPaola), Geza Kovacs (Agent Turzanski), Jasmin Geljo (Assassin), Danny A. Gonzales (Hugo Ortega), Jude Coffey (Field Agent Welke), Clark Johnson (Agent Charles ("Charlie") Merriweather )

As a disclaimer, I should say that I am not a big Kiefer Sutherland fan. But luckily, like the other movies I like that he has been in .. he is not 'the star'. It is Michael Douglas who I like in most things I have seen him in. So with that out of the way .. I really like this movie. I find it very intriging. The story line is good and the execution is very good. The filming and acting are great in this one. I like the intensity of the situations in the movie and the way the characters worked them out.

Michael Douglas, like Harrison Ford, is very good in these types of movies. Don't give them comedies to play in (oh my 'The In-Laws' was not very good) as they really don't have the timing for that. But give them a good thriller .. good source material and associated characters to play against and they are gang busters.

I suggest this movie for anyone who likes the thriller genre.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »
Last movie of the day ..

Jack Reed: One of Our Own (1995/)
IMDb

(United States)
Director:Brian Dennehy
Writing:Brian Dennehy (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Brian Dennehy as Jack Reed
CCH Pounder as Mrs. Harris
Charles S Dutton as unknown
Susan Ruttan as unknown

Plot:
When his partner is killed, Jack Reed (Brian Dennehy) is framed for the murder. In order to hide corruption that extends to the highest levels of City Hall, murders are being committed and Jack is a suspect. To avenge his partner's death and protect his innocence, he must capture the drugged-out killer and unveil the corrupt politicians who hired him.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Genre: Crime Drama
Do I Like it as much:

Rating: 3of5

'Jack Reed: One of Our Own' (1995) is a Crime Drama (first in a series)
  • produced by Patricia Clifford
  • produced by Brian Dennehy
  • produced by Barbara Kelly
  • produced by Steve Krantz
  • produced by Donald Kushner
  • produced by Peter Locke
  • directed by Brian Dennehy
  • written Brian Dennehy & Bill Phillips

• Brian Dennehy (Sgt. Jack Reed) ('Semi-Tough' (1977), 'Looking for Mr. Goodbar' (1977), 'Foul Play' (1978), '10' (1979) just a bit part but very good, 'First Blood' (1982), 'Never Cry Wolf' (1983), 'Silverado' (1985), 'Cocoon' (1985), 'Legal Eagles' (1986), 'The Man from Snowy River II' (1988), 'Cocoon: The Return' (1988), 'Presumed Innocent' (1990), 'Tommy Boy' (1995), 'Ratatouille' (2007) plus a lot of TV shows)
  • Charles S. Dutton (Lt. Charles Silvera) ('Cat's Eye' (1985), 'Crocodile Dundee II' (1988), 'Alien 3' (1992), 'The Distinguished Gentleman' (1992), 'Rudy' (1993), 'A Time to Kill' (1996), 'Mimic' (1997), 'Black Dog' (1998), 'Cookie's Fortune' (1999) one of the great movies of all time, 'D-Tox' (2002), 'Gothika' (2003), 'Secret Window' (2004), 'Legion' (2010) and many TV shows)
  • Susan Ruttan (Arlene Reed) ('Krippendorf's Tribe' (1998) and TV series including 'L.A. Law' (1986-1993), Jack Reed series of TV movies, and others
  • Kevin Dunn (Phil Brenner) ('Mississippi Burning' (1988), 'Blue Steel' (1989), 'The 'Bonfire of the Vanities' (1990), 'Hot Shots!' (1991), 'Only the Lonely' (1991) , 'Chaplin' (1992), 'Dave' (1993), 'Little Big League' (1994), 'Chain Reaction' (1996), 'Godzilla' (1998), 'Almost Heroes' (1998), 'Small Soldiers' (1998), 'Snake Eyes' (1998), 'Stir of Echoes' (1999), 'Transformers' (2007), 'Lions for Lambs' (2007), 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' (2009), 'Unstoppable' (2010), 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' (2011) and many TV Shows.
  • Suki Kaiser (Sarah Landry) ('Virgin Suicides' (1999) and many TV series and TV movies including the 'Jack Reed' series, 'Nash Bridges' and the great 'Kingdom Hospital' mini series.

This film also features Michael Talbott (Eddie Dirkson), Bernie Coulson (Mike Quinn), Amber Benson (Nicole Reed), Cusse Mankuma (Bobby Dixon), Justin Burnette (John Reed Jr.), Megan Leitch (Rebecca), Louis Ferreira (Mick Williams), CCH Pounder (Mrs. Harris), Terence Kelly (Pete Myers), Lorena Gale (Anne Kelfer), Betty Phillips (Mary Quinn), Lance Gibson (Manny Campton), Henry Beckman (James Quinn)

Let me say that this being a TV movies there are breaks in it that breakup the flow of the movie. With pet peeve out of the way I have to say that I like this. It is a good addition to my collection and I will watch it again. It isn't quite as powerful as the 'Jessie Stone' series of movies but different writers and cinematographers .. different outcomes. As always I like Brian Dennehy and in this he does his usual good job. He has a very commanding presence in movies and I like that.

I suggest this movie for anyone who likes a good crime drama.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
Just watched ..

Derailed: Unrated Version: Widescreen Edition (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Genius Products, The Weinstein Company Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Mikael Håfström
Writing:James Siegel (Original Material By), Stuart Beattie (Screenwriter)
Length:112 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Vincent Cassel as LaRoche
Clive Owen as Charles Schine
Addison Timlin as Amy Schine
Melissa George as Deanna Schine
Jennifer Aniston as Lucinda Harris

Plot:
Married man Charles Schine (Clive Owen) meets Lucinda Harris (Jennifer Aniston), a high powered businesswoman, on a commuter train one morning. An innocent conversation leads to an evening drink. Before either one can stop it, their aroused passions lead to a sizzling one-night stand. Suddenly a stranger explodes into their world, threatening to expose their secret, and lures them into a terrifying game with more surprises than they saw coming.

** Complete Plot (with Spoilers) from Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama, Thriller

'Derailed' (2005) is an excellent thriller
  • produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura ('Four Brothers' (2005), 'Constantine' (2005), 'Stardust' (2007), 'Transformers' (2007), '1408' (2007), 'Shooter' (2007), 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' (2009), 'Red' (2010) and 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' (2011))
  • screenplay by Stuart Beattie (from novel by James Siegel) ('Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' (2003), 'Collateral' (2004) and '30 Days of Night' (2007))
  • directed by Mikael Håfström ('1408' (2007))

It stars
  • Clive Owen ('Gosford Park' (2001), 'The Bourne Identity' (2002), 'King Arthur' (2004), 'Sin City' (2005), 'Children of Men' (2006), 'The International' (2009) )
  • Jennifer Aniston ('The Object of My Affection' (1998), 'Office Space' (1999), 'Iron Giant' (1999) voice only, 'Rock Star' (2001), 'The Good Girl' (2002), 'Bruce Almighty' (2003), 'Along Came Polly' (2004), 'The Break-Up' (2006), 'The Bounty Hunter', 'Horrible Bosses' (2011))
  • Vincent Cassel ('Elizabeth' (1998), 'The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc' (1999), 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' (2001), 'Shrek' (2001) voice only, 'Oceans Twelve' (2004), 'Oceans Thirteen' (2007), 'Eastern Promises' (2007) and 'Black Swan' (2010))
  • Melissa George ('Dark City' (1998), 'The Limey' (1999), 'Down with Love' (2003), '30 Days of Night' (2007) and several TV shows/series)

This film also features Addison Timlin (Amy Schine), RZA (Winston Boyko), William Armstrong (Accountant), Tom Conti (Eliot Firth), Rachael Blake (Susan Davis), Richard Leaf (Night Clerk Ray), Xzibit (Dexter), Catherine McCord (Avery Price Receptionist), Denis O'Hare (Jerry the Lawyer), Ortis Deley (Cop), Georgina Chapman (Candy), Giancarlo Esposito (Detective Franklin Church), David Morrissey (Sam Griffin)

This film has been previously reviewed by samuelrichardscott HERE.

I find this to be an excellent thriller. The first time I saw it I really had no idea what was going on. And even now, putting aside knowing what will happen, the film is still very very good.

This is probably my favorite Jennifer Aniston film. She doesn't play an airhead (her primary role in most things) and plays her part very well. Darkness that I didn't really know she could do.

Clive Owen is also great in this. He plays the role of the business man, trapped in circumstances that become completely out of his control, very convincingly.

And Vincent Cassel is also great in this. His role is crucial to the film and he does it well. I really like this film.

I just picked it up to bolster the Thrillers in my collection. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes thrillers.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
     The Door in the Floor: Spotlight Series (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Video (United States)
Director:Tod Williams
Writing:John Irving (Original Material By), Tod Williams (Screenwriter)
Length:111 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Elle Fanning as Ruth Cole
Jeff Bridges as Ted Cole
Kim Basinger as Marion Cole
Jon Foster as Eddie O'Hare
Larry Pine as Interviewer

Plot:
Four-time Academy Award® nominee* Jeff Bridges and Academy Award® winner** Kim Basinger give stellar performances in this critically acclaimed film, adapted from the #1 best-selling novel, A Widow for One Year, by Academy Award® winner† John Irving.

The Door in the Floor chronicles one pivotal summer in the lives of famous children's book author Ted Cole (Jeff Bridges) and his beautiful wife, Marion (Kim Basinger). It is a provocative story about one couple's emotional journey into a world of daring sensuality and stunning honesty.

*Best Supporting Actor – The Contender (2000); Best Actor – Starman (1984); Best Supporting Actor – Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974); Best Supporting Actor – The Last Picture Show (1971)

**Best Supporting Actress – L.A. Confidential (1997)

†Best Adapted Screenplay – The Cider House Rules (1999)

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama

'The Door in the Floor' (2005) is an excellent drama
  • produced by Anne Carey
  • produced by Michael Corrente
  • produced by Ted Hope
  • screenplay by Tod Williams from the novel by John Irving
  • directed by Tod Willieams ('1408' (2007))

It stars
  • Jeff Bridges as Ted Cole ('The Last Picture Show' (1971), 'The Iceman Cometh', (1973), 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot' (1974), 'Rancho Deluxe' (1975), 'King Kong' (1976), 'Heavens Gate' (1980), 'Cutter's Way' (1981), 'Tron' (1982), 'Kiss Me Goodbye' (1982), 'The Last Unicorn' (1982), 'Against All Ods' (1984), 'Starman' (1984), 'Jagged Edge' (1985), 'Nadine' (1987), 'Tucker: The Man and His Dream' (1988), 'The Fabulous Baker Boys' (1989), 'The Fisher King' (1991), 'The Vanishing' (1993), 'Fearless' (1993), 'Blown Away' (1994), 'Wild Bill' (1995), 'White Squall' (1996), 'The Mirror Has Two Faces' (1996), 'The Big Lebowski' (1998), 'Arlington Road' (1999), 'The Muse' (1999), 'K-PAX' (2001), 'Seabiscuit' (2003), 'Iron Man' (2008), 'The Open Road' (2008), 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' (2009), 'Tron: Legacy' (2010), 'True Grit' (2010)
Kim Basinger as Marion Cole ('Mother Lode' (1982), 'Never Say Never Again' (1983), 'The Natural' (1984), 'Nadine' (1987), 'Bless the Child' (2000), 'Cellular' (2004), 'The Sentinel' (2006)
  • Jon Foster as Eddie ("Thirteen Days" (2000), "Life as a House" (2001), "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" (2003))

This film also features Bijou Phillips (Alice), Elle Fanning (Ruth Cole), Mimi Rogers (Evelyn Vaughn), Donna Murphy (Frame Shop Owner), John Rothman (Minty O'Hare), Harvey Loomis (Dr. Loimis)

I have just watched this after not seeing it since it came out.  I got it because I remembered that I liked it .. i just didn't remember how much I liked it.

The role of Ted Cole is another great role for Jeff Bridges. Although this film is a little more "down" than some of his other great roles and quirky characters (Jeffery "The Dude" Lebowski ("The Big Lebowski")
Max Kline ("Fearless") to name just a few).  This film is a complex narrative of a couple coming apart (were they ever together?) after a tragic accident. And Jeff Bridges does an excellent job of weaving the story.

Kim Basinger is also excellent in this film. Marion Cole is a complex character suffering loss of more than that caused by the accident.  The ?love? of a young man and walking away from her young daughter, these are the some of the things entering into Marion Cole's life.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes dramas.
Thank you
David