Author Topic: DSigs What I'm Watching  (Read 40038 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DSigs What I'm Watching
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
    Fort Apache (1948/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:John Ford
Writing:Frank S. Nugent (Screenwriter), James Warner Bellah (Original Material By)
Length:128 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
John Wayne as Captain Kirby York
Henry Fonda as Lieutenant Colonel Owen Thursday
Shirley Temple as Philadelphia Thursday
Pedro Armendariz as Sergeant Beaufort
Ward Bond as Sergeant-Major Michael O'Rourke

Plot:
The soldiers at Fort Apache may disagree with the tactics of their glory-seeking new commander. But to a man, they're duty-bound to obey - even when it means almost certain disaster.

John Wayne, Henry Fonda and many familiar supporting players from master director John Ford's "stock company" saddle up for the first film in the director's famed cavalry trilogy (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande are the others). Roughhouse camaraderie, sentimental vignettes of frontier life, massive action sequences staged in Monument Valley - all are part of Fort Apache. So is Ford's exploration of the West's darker side. Themes of justice, heroism and honor that Ford would revisit in later Westerns are given rein in this moving, thought-provoking film that, even as it salutes a legend, gives reasons to question it.

** Complete Plot from Wikipedia**
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'Fort Apache' (1948) is the first in a trilogy of films by the great John Ford.  It is followed by 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' (1949) and then 'Rio Grande' (1950).
Staring John Wayne (Capt. Kirby York), Henry Fonda (Lt. Col. Owen Thursday), Ward Bond (Sgt. Major Michael O'Rourke), Shirley Temple (Miss Philadelphia Thursday) and John Agar (Lt. Michael Shannon "Mickey" O'Rourke).  With a good supporting case of Dick Foran (Sgt. Quincannon), Pedro Armendáriz (Sgt. Beaufort) and Miguel Inclan (Cochise).  With this group the acting is very good.  The writing is good and wears well, even for a 'Cowboys and Indians' movie of the late '40s.

Being show in Monument Valley, Utah becomes a trait of John Ford and many who came after him.  It becomes the face of the West for much of the world.  The cinematography is very nice.

I still like this movie.  It isn't as edgy as 'The Searchers' (1956 also John Wayne and John Ford) but it is good.

A fun watch i suggest this to anyone who likes good westerns of the '40/50s.

Rating: 3.5of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:53:10 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 05:55:16 AM »
    Rio Bravo (1959/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Howard Hawks
Writing:
Length:141 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
John Wayne as John T. Chance
Dean Martin as Dude
Ricky Nelson as Colorado Ryan
Angie Dickinson as Features
Walter Brennan as Stumpy

Plot:
On one side is an army of gunmen dead-set on springing a murderous cohort from jail. On the other is Sheriff John T. Chance (John Wayne) and his two deputies: one a recovering drunkard (Dean Martin), the other a crippled codger (Walter Brennan). Also in their ragtag ranks are an unseasoned, trigger-happy youth (Ricky Nelson) and a woman with a past (Angie Dickinson) - and her eye on Chance. Director Howard Hawks lifted the Western to new heights with Red River. Capturing the legendary West with a stellar cast in peak form, he does it again here.

** Complete Plot from Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:

My Thoughts:
Rio Bravo (1959), El Dorado (1966) and Rio Lobo are 3 films by Howard Hawks and staring John Wayne. This movie, 'Rio Bravo' specifically stars John Wayne (Sheriff John T. Chance), Dean Martin (Dude ('Borrachón')), Ricky Nelson (Colorado Ryan), Angie Dickinson (Feathers) , Walter Brennan (Stumpy), John Russell (Nathan Burdette), Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez (Carlos Robante), Estelita Rodriguez (Consuela Robante) and Claude Akins (Joe Burdette). With a short part by Ward Bond (Pat Wheeler). All good and standard actors in westerns. I think this is one of Howard Hawks better movies. John Wayne is very good in this and as always Walter Brennen is a hoot to watch. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes the western genre. Good action and better than average writing. I give this 3.5 of 5 stars John Russell (Nathan Burdette), Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez (Carlos Robante), Estelita Rodriguez (Consuela Robante) and Claude Akins (Joe Burdette)

Rating: 3.5of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:53:56 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 05:54:21 AM »
    Beetlejuice (1988/United States)
IMDB | Wikipedia

Director:Tim Burton
Writing:Michael McDowell (Original Material By), Larry Wilson (Original Material By), Michael McDowell (Screenwriter), Warren Skaaren (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Alec Baldwin as Adam
Geena Davis as Barbara
Annie McEnroe as Jane Butterfield
Maurice Page as Ernie
Hugo Stanger as Old Bill

Plot:
What's a yuppie ghost couple (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis) to do when their quaint New England home is overrun by trendy New Yorkers? Hire a freelance "bio-exorcist" to spook the intruders, of course.

As directed by Tim Burton, Michael "Keaton's Beetlejuice is one of the biggest, baddest wolves a ghost movie has ever unleashed, a polter-gas" (The Village Voice). Keaton's work in this and Clean and Sober won him 1988's National Society of Film Critics Best Actor Award. Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and Sylvia Sidney share starring honors along with wondrous production design, Harry Belafonte soundtrack tunes and Oscar®-winning Best Makeup. Exorcise your right to a hilarious Day-O!

** Complete Plot (with spoilers) **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Beetlejuice (1988) stars Alec Baldwin (Adam Maitland), Geena Davis (Barbara Maitland), Michael Keaton (Betelgeuse), Winona Ryder (Lydia Deetz), Catherine O'Hara (Delia Deetz) and Jeffrey Jones (Charles Deetz) also with Glenn Shadix (Otho), Sylvia Sidney (Juno) and cameos by Robert Goelet (Maxie Dean), Dick Cavett (Bernard).

I love this film. Being only the second BIG film directed by Tim Burton (first being "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure") this film show the quirky nature that we would become accustomed to with Tim Burton and his vision.

For Michael Keaton, 6 years after his break through performance as Bill Blazejowski in 'Night Shift' and following several other great films ('Mr. Mom' (1983) and 'Gung Ho' (1986)) and just a year from another great performance in 'Batman' (1989) we find him here in 'Beetlejuice', a role that must have been made just for him.

For Alex Baldwin, his first movie was in the previous year 'Forever, Lulu' (1987). But in 1988 he would be in four films including 'She's Having a Baby', 'Beetlejuice', 'Married to the Mob', 'Working Girl' and 'Talk Radio'. This was his biggest role that year. 1990 would see his breakout role as Jack Ryan in 'The Hunt for Red October'.

For Geena Davis this was also her largest role following on the heels of 'The Fly' (1986). In 1988 she was to star in 3 films, 'Beetlejuice', the cult classic 'Earth Girls Are Easy' and 'The Accidental Tourist' for which she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

For Winona Ryder this is her third role with the previous ones being in 'Lucas' (1986), 'Square Dance' (1987). Also in 1988 she was in '1969' and 'Heathers'

This film is a great comedy which happens in the supernatural realm. The sets and direction are excellent and the acting is very good. I recommend this film to everyone. This is a great laugh. Rated 4of5 stars

Rating: 4of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:54:38 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »
    In the Line of Fire: Special Edition (1993/United States)
IMDB | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Video (United States)
Director:Wolfgang Petersen
Writing:Jeff Maguire (Writer)
Length:128 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Clint Eastwood as Frank Horrigan
John Malkovich as Mitch Leary
Rene Russo as Lilly Raines
Dylan McDermott as Al D'Andrea
Gary Cole as Bill Watts

Plot:
A gripping, gut-wrenching thriller that delivers suspense in almost unbearable doses, IN THE LINE OF FIRE showcases Clint Eastwood at his finest.

In a performance that won universal acclaim, Clint Eastwood stars as Frank Horrigan, a veteran Secret Service agent haunted by his failure to protect JFK from assassination. Thirty years later, he gets a chance to redeem himself when a brilliant psychopath threatens to kill the current president – and take Horrigan with him. Taunting him by phone and tantalizing him with clues, the assassin (John Malkovich) lures Horrigan into an electrifying battle of wits and will that only one man can solve.

Co-starring Rene Russo as Horrigan's risk-taking Field Chief, IN THE LINE OF FIRE is a high wire balancing act of searing suspense, explosive action and surprising romance. Quite simply, "one of the finest thrillers you'll ever see." (Roy Leonard, WGN-TV)

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This 1993 thriller was directed by Wolfgang Peterson, who also directed 'Das Boot' which earned him an Academy Awards nomination, 'The NeverEnding Story', 'Enemy Mine', 'Outbreak', 'Air Force One', 'The Perfect Storm', 'Troy', and 'Poseidon'. It stars Clint Eastwood (Agent Frank Horrigan), John Malkovich (Mitch Leary), Rene Russo (Lilly Raines), Dylan McDermott (Al D'Andrea), Gary Cole (Bill Watts), Fred Dalton Thompson (Harry Sargent) and John Mahoney (Secret Service Director Sam Campagna). This is a well written and directed thriller. I also find the acting very good in this one (as with most all Eastwood and Russo movies). And as always John Malkovich plays his role to the hilt. I can be hard to believe that he really isn't that psycotic. To be truthful, I could have done without Thompson .. never liked him and never will. Of course that might be the point as he is someone you love to hate in the movie. I recommend this to anyone who likes thrillers.

Rating: 4of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:55:17 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
    Critical Care (1997/)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Sidney Lumet
Writing:
Length:109 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
James Spader as Dr. Werner Ernst
Kyra Sedgwick as Felicia Potter
Helen Mirren as Stella
Anne Bancroft (1931) as Nun
Albert Brooks as Dr. Butz

Plot:
Dr Werner Ernest ( James Spader) is an overworked intern who only wants what is best for his elderly, comatose patient - until he falls for the ailing man's beautiful daughter Felicia ( Kyra Sedgwick ) The Seductive Felicia has 10 million reasons to let her father "die with dignity" while her deep religous sister has her own motives for keeping him alive. Caught between passion and duty Werner descends into a moral mine field where the physician's god-like powers of life and death depend not on knowing right from wrong...but having the courage to choose.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

'Criticl Care' (1997) directed by Sidney Lumet who directed so many great films , nominated for 14 films by the Motion Picture Academy, and winning for 3 including 'Murder on the Orient Express' (1974), 'Dog Day Afternoon' (1975) and 'Network' (1976). He has recieved numerous other awards for his films internationally. This film stars James Spader (Dr. Werner Ernst), Kyra Sedgwick (Felicia Potter), Helen Mirren (Stella), Anne Bancroft (Nun), Albert Brooks (Dr. Butz), Jeffrey Wright (Bed Two), Margo Martindale (Constance 'Connie' Potter) and Wallace Shawn (Furnaceman).

Starting with James Spader, this is his 28th film and we can see he has been honing the 'James Spader' character which it seems to portray to some degree in all his films. Before 'Critical Care' he has some big movies to his credit including his possible break through performance in 'Stargate' (1994) playing the slightly disheveled Dr. Daniel Jackson and earlie in 1994 his performance as Stewart Swinton in 'Wolf' with Jack Nicholson (who i think Spader stood toe to toe with).

Kyra Sedgwick, who never really seems to 'star' in any film, has been in may great productions. 'Critical Care' was her 15th film with some greats under her belt at this time. These include 'Born on the Forth of July' (1989) with Tom Cruise, 'Heart and Souls' (1993) one of my personal favorites, 'Murder in the First' (1993) and Phenomenon (1996). Her characters always seem to have a bit of 'quirky' in them, along with the southern belle that he play so well on TVs 'The Closer'.

With this great cast you could only expect this move to be good and you would be right. Although I only give it a rating of 3 I find it very entertaining .. while dealing with subjects such as end of life options and sibling greed and a hospitals drive for revenue. These subjects might not be suited for all watchers.

I do recommend this movie highly. Rating 3.5 of 5
Rating: 3.5 of 5
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:17:56 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »
    Constantine: Widescreen Edition (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Francis Lawrence
Writing:Kevin Brodbin (Screenwriter), Frank Cappello (Screenwriter), Kevin Brodbin (Original Material By)
Length:121 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Keanu Reeves as John Constantine
Rachel Weisz as Angela Dodson / Isabel Dodson
Shia LaBeouf as Chas
Djimon Hounsou as Midnite
Max Baker as Beeman

Plot:
John Constantine sees demons walk the earth, and he aims to do something about it: send them back to hell!

As Constantine, The Matrix's Keanu Reeves fights a new otherworld foe in this eye-popping supernatural thriller based on characters from the DC Comics/Vertigo Hellblazer Graphic Novels and set in a City of the Angels where spirit-world bounds have been broken...and all hell is breaking loose.

Holy water. A dragon's-breath flamethrower. A shotgun crafted from a crucifix. Armed with these and assisted by an intrepid cop (Rachel Weisz), John Constantine is a spiritual warrior gone to apocalyptic war. Be glad he's on your side.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'Constantine' (2005) directed by Francis Lawrence in his directorial debut. Since then he as brought us 'I Am Legend' (2007), 'Kings' (2009) (4 episodes), 'Water for Elephants' (2011), 'Touch' (2012) and 'Catching Fire' (2013). For Keanu Reeves (John Constantine) this film is on the heels of several great movies. 'Little Buddha' (1993), 'The Matirx Trilogy' (1999, 2003), 'The Replacements', 'The Watcher', 'The Devils Advocate' and of course the 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' plus many more.

Rachel Weisz (Angela Dodson & Isabel Dodson) previously starred in 'Chain Reaction' (1996) with Keanu Reeves, 'Stealing Beauty' (1996), 'The Mummy' (1999), 'The Mummy Returns' (2001), 'Enemy at the Gates' (2001), 'About a Boy' (2002) and 'Runaway Jury' (2003) plus many more.

Although those two carry the movie (of course they are the focus) with strong associated performances by Shia LaBeouf (Chas Kramer), Tilda Swinton (Gabriel), Pruitt Taylor Vince (Father Hennessy) always love him, Djimon Hounsou (Papa Midnite) and a great (short) performance by Peter Stormare (Lucifer) no one could have played it better.

I really like this movie. If find the settings and artwork very well done. The visual concept of Hell being like here but crisply .. Conceptually very nice .. following the trail of the 'Dangerous Habits', 'Original Sins' and 'Hellblazer' comics. Also, i very much enjoy Keanue Reeves acting. Along with Rachel Weisz and Shia LaBeouf this becomes a very 'believable' movie. You enjoy and create a connection with the characters. You care what happens to them.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes the 'horror' genre. It was rated 'R' but it probably should have been 'PG-13" as it really show intensity but very little violence or language on its own. My bet is that it was rated 'R' by people with overdone religiosity.

Rating: Rating 4of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:57:00 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 02:30:23 AM »
    Bad Boys II (2003/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Bay
Writing:George Gallo (Original Material By), Marianne Wibberley (Original Material By), Cormac Wibberley (Original Material By), Ron Shelton (Original Material By), Ron Shelton (Screenwriter), Jerry Stahl (Screenwriter)
Length:147 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Martin Lawrence as Detective Marcus Burnett
Will Smith (1968) as Detective Mike Lowrey
Jordi Mollà as Hector Juan Carlos "Johnny" Tapia
Gabrielle Union as Syd
Peter Stormare as Alexei

Plot:
Hang on for maximum mayhem, full-on fun and the wildest chase scenes ever put on film! The action and comedy never stop when superstars Martin Lawrence and Will Smith reunite as out-of-control trash-talking buddy cops. Bullets fly, cars crash, and laughs explode as they pursue a whacked-out drug lord from the streets of Miami to the barrios of Cuba. But the real fireworks result when Lawrence discovers that playboy Smith is secretly romancing his sexy sister, Gabrielle Union (Bring it On).

Director Michael Bay (Pearl Harbor, Armageddon) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Carribean, Black Hawk Down) deliver a high-speed, high-octane blockbuster that will blow you away! "...Year's most action-packed and high-flying flick." (Shawn Edwards, Fox TV).

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned
  • 2-Disc Set

My Thoughts:

'Bad Boys II' (2003) by director Michael Bay is the second installment of the 'Bad Boys' franchise. It is rumored that 'Bad Boys III is being worked on.

Since 'Bad Boys', and before 'Bad Boys II', Michael Bay brought us 'The Rock' (1996), 'Armageddon' (1998), 'Mystery Men' (1999) a greatly underated movie, 'Coyote Ugly' (2000) and 'Pearl Harbor' (2001).

I really don't have anything good to say about this movie. I was not offended by the language and use of the word 'nigga' nor of the gratuitous violence. It is the total lack of real plot. You just don't care about any of the characters ..

Although I do not necessarily recommend this to anyone except Will Smith and Martin Lawrence fans .. i will watch it again .. not a bad way to loose a couple of hours. I give this 2.5 of 5 stars ... simply on the action scenes.

Rating: 2.5of5
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:57:36 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »
    Howard the Duck: Special Edition (1986/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Willard Huyck
Writing:Steve Gerber (Original Characters By), Willard Huyck (Writer), Gloria Katz (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Lea Thompson as Beverly Switzler
Jeffrey Jones as Dr. Jenning
Tim Robbins as Phil Blumburtt
Ed Gale as Howard T. Duck
Chip Zien as Howard T. Duck

Plot:
One of the most talked-about movies of all time, Howard the Duck, lands on DVD for the first time ever in an all-new Special Edition!

From executive producer George Lucas and the pages of Marvel Comics comes this unbelievably funny comedy about a fast-talking, cigar-chomping, beer-loving duck from a parallel universe who crashes to Earth. Featuring brand-new bonus features, a digitally remastered picture and new 5.1 surround sound, Howard the Duck Special Edition is a hidden treasure the whole family can enjoy.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
'Howard the Duck' (1986) produced by George Lucas (no introduction needed) and directed by Willard Huyck (mostly known for screenwriting of screenplays of films including 'American Graffiti', 'Lucky Lady', 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' and 'Radioland Murders among others) only directed 4 films including 'Messiah of Evil' (1973), 'French Postcards' (1979), 'Best Defense' (1984), and this one 'Howard the Duck' (1986).

'Howard the Duck' stars Lea Thompson, Jeffrey Jones, Tim Robbins, the voice of Chip Zien as Howard.

Having 1983's 'Jaw 3-D' being hee first roll, Lea Thompson only had a couple of rolls under her belt when she did 'Howard the Duck' with the biggest ones being 'All the Right Moves' (1983), 'Red Dawn' (1984) and then the break through hit 'Back to the Future' (1985) with 'Back to the Future Part II' coming in 1989 and 'Back to the Future Part III' coming in 1990. Her biggest hits would come on television with the sitcom 'Caroline in the City' (1995-1999) and the 'Jane Doe' made for tv movies.

This also staring Jeffrey Jones (Dr. Walter Jenning/Dark Overlord) and a very young Tim Robbins (Phil Blumburtt). Tim Robbins having just started filming 4 years before you can see the youth in his performance. The same year (1986) he would work in 'Top Gun'. But in 1988 he would give a breakout performance in 'Bull Durham' opposite Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon.

I am probably 1 of a dozen people who actually have seen 'Howard the Duck' and like it. I have had the soundtrack on vinyl since it came out and have had the VHS table for almost as long. I lost track of it and recently ran into a used dvd copy .. i jumped on it.

For fantasy I find the concept fun and exciting. 'Howard the Duck' is loosely based on the Marvel Comic books of the same name (well there was a duck from another planet AND it's name was Howard). I heartily recommend this movie to anyone who just like a good time .. though they might not accept any of my recommendations after this I give this a 3.5of5 stars

Rating: 3.5of5
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:59:18 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 04:28:09 AM »
I'm one of the few people that like Howard the Duck too.  I fully admit it isn't a great movie..and it is cheesy as hell..but it's fun.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »
So .. there are 2 of use.  Must account for the full box office numbers it made <G>

DSig
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 06:04:52 AM »
     Bad Influence (1990/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Curtis Hanson (1945)
Writing:David Koepp (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Palmer Lee Todd as Naked Woman
Rob Lowe as Alex
James Spader as Michael Boll
Rosalyn Landor as Britt
Tony Maggio as Patterson

Plot:
There's nothing more enticing than evil...especially when it's hiding behind a killer smile and draped in designer suits. Rob Lowe ("The West Wing") and James Spader (sex, lies and videotape) star in this "slyly seductive and thoroughly enjoyable thriller" (The Wall Street Journal) from director Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential) and writer David Koepp (Spider-Man).

Financial analyst Michael Boll (Spader) seems to have everything: brains, money, a socially connected fiancée and a blindingly bright future. Then he meets Alex (Lowe), an impeccably dressed drifter with fatal charm and an insatiable appetite for wine, women...and danger. Alex befriends Michael and takes him for a walk on the wild side – but Michael soon discovers that there's a terrible price to pay for life in the fast lane, because hanging out with Alex...can be murder!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'Bad Influence' (1990) is in the 'film noir' style. Written by David Koepp including 'Toy Soldiers' (1991), 'Death Becomes Her' (1992), 'Jurassic Park' (1993) with Michael Crichton, 'Carlito's Way', 'Mission: Impossible' (1996), 'Stir of Echoes' (1999), 'Spider-Man' (2002) to just mention a few. Directed by Curtis Hanson whose credits include 'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle' (1992), 'The River Wild' (1994), 'L.A. Confidential' (1997), 'Wonder Boys' (2002) and '8 Mile' plus more.

Rob Lowe plays Alex a charming sociopath, James Spader plays Michael Boll a seemingly hapless marketing analyst. Also with Lisa Zane (Claire), Christian Clemenson (Pismo Boll), Marcia Cross (Ruth Fielding) and Grand Bush (Bartender).

As with many of James Spaders films this movie goes from tight thriller to out and out crazy fest. Rob Lowe is simply brilliant at sociopath Alex and James Spader who normally plays the bad guy is simply brilliant in the reversed role. Although Rob Lowe has never been a favorite of mine I have to admit that I really like him in this. Possibly as good as Spader in this one.

Rating: 3.5of5
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
    A Few Good Men: Special Edition (1992/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Rob Reiner
Writing:Aaron Sorkin (Screenwriter), Aaron Sorkin (Original Material By)
Length:138 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tom Cruise as Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Jack Nicholson as Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Demi Moore as Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway
Kevin Bacon as Capt. Jack Ross
Kiefer Sutherland as Lt. Jonathan Kendrick

Plot:
Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore star in Rob Reiner's unanimously acclaimed drama about the dangerous difference between following orders and following one's conscience. Cruise stars as a brash Navy lawyer who's teamed with a gung-ho litigator (Moore) in a politically explosive murder case. Charged with defending two Marines accused of killing a fellow soldier, they are confronted with complex issues of loyalty and honor - including its most sacred code and its most formidable warrior (Nicholson). Superbly directed with a trio of powerhouse performances and an outstanding supporting cast including Kevin Pollack, Kiefer Sutherland and Kevin Bacon, A FEW GOOD MEN is "entertainment to be seen and appreciated... consistently gripping" (Desson Howe, Washington Post).

** Complete Plot(with spoilers ) **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
'A Few Good Men' (1992) written by Aaron Sorkin ('Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' (1969) for which he got an Academy Award, 'The Hot Rock' (1972), 'Marathon Man' (1976), 'All the President's Men' (1976) with another Academy Award plus many others including the great 'The Princess Bride (1987). Directed by Rob Reiner whose directorial credits include 'The Princess Bride' (1987), 'When Harry Met Sally...' (1989), 'Misery' (1990) and 'The American President' (1995).

This film stars Tom Cruise (LTJG Daniel Kaffee, USN), Jack Nicholson (Col. Nathan R. Jessup, USMC), Demi Moore (LCDR Joanne Galloway, USN), Kevin Bacon (Capt. Jack Ross, USMC), Kiefer Sutherland (Lt Jonathan Kendrick, USMC), Kevin Pollak (LTJG Sam Weinberg, USN) and J. T. Walsh (Lt. Col. Matthew Andrew Markinson, USMC). I don't know what to say about this movie. First I am really not a Tom Cruise fan. And Demi Moore has never done anything for me. I do like Jack Nicholson, Kevin Bacon and Kevin Pollak so i guess that is 3 to 2 in favor .

This movie was received with great success both critically and financially at the box office. But I just don't get it. I don't believe that I have seen this movie since it came out and so I popped the disc in in an attempt to give it a fair break. As usual I find Tom Cruise's performance just hard work .. hard work doing and hard work watching. Demi Moore, like Tom Cruise is wooden and stiff. There is noting here for be to care about. I am not sure if the is the acting, writing or direction .. but it is all too wooden.

Having said all that I give it a 3of5 stars. There is something here. You don't feel like you just lost 2 hours of your life. Maybe it is the direction .. maybe it is the photography or editing .. but there is something that keeps me from throwing this newly purchased dvd in the trash..  But it did cost me $1.60 + shipping (total 4.58) so just tossing it wouldn't make sense.

Rating: 3of5 stars
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:00:02 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
Interesting notes on the "A Few Good Men" .. I've been very interested in the movie, but havent bought it yet. Beacuse a few different reasons. Just one quastion for you, If your not a Tom Cruise fan. Would you like the movie? And would you buy the movie? Nw, that yu have seen it?

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
So .. there are 2 of use.  Must account for the full box office numbers it made <G>

DSig

I didn't see it in the theater.  I first saw it on tv late one night.  When I found the DVD fairly cheap - and not long after it became available - I got it.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »

DSig
3 actually. It has Lea Thompson and a stop motion monster. Either one would have been enough for me... ;-)
But then I never read the comic, so I didn'lt get upset by the liberties the writers took.