Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 127805 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »
Wishlisted it after I watched the trailer, but since then a lot of mediocre reviews came in, so it's currently shortly before dropping out again.

I wouldnt pay full price for it. But if you find it real cheap somewhere on sale. Not a movie worth paying full price for imo.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

Title: Choose
Year: 2011
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English
Subtitles: English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish.

Stars:
Katheryn Winnick  as Fiona Wagner
Kevin Pollak as Sheriff Tom Wagner
Bruce Dern as Dr. Ronald Pendleton

Plot/Story: Fiona Wagner is studying for a master's degree in journalism and still grieves for her mother Samantha who committed suicide at the Crescent Hotel three years ago. Her father, Detective Tom Wagner, is investigating the brutal death of lawyer Elliot Vincent, who was murdered by his teenager daughter. His daughter was forced to choose between killing him or having her mother, little brother and herself killed by a sadistic criminal that had broken in their house. When pianist Simon Campbell is forced to choose between losing his fingers or his hearing, Tom realizes that a deranged serial-killer is attacking people. Meanwhile, Fiona is contacted by the criminal through the codename ISO_17. Fiona recalls that her mother had mentioned something about choice in her suicide note and she decides to investigate the sadistic man further.

Extras:
Trailer

My Review: Well, this was a very interesting movie to say the least! And with a interesting plot\storyline aswell. I enjoyed the movie from almost start to finish. Was a few interesting twists in the movie, wich i appreciated. And the movie kept me in my seat for the whole thing, you didnt know what would happend next kinda. And it was nice that they didnt reveal who was behind everything before the end aswell. In some horror movies you know who the bad guy is before 20 mins. Wasnt like that at all here. And the acting was 'ok' aswell. Could been better, but i didnt complain. Only thing i hope with how the movie ended is that there will be a movie number 2. If not i will be rather disappointed with how it all ended. It gotta come a number 2 sometime i hope. All in all a very good horror movie (IMO) wich i reccomand you to watch.

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »

Title: Husk
Year: 2010
Director: Brett Simmons
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Bloody Violence and Horror
Length: 79 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish.

Stars:
Devon Graye
Wes Chatham
CJ Thomason
Tammin Sursok
Ben Easter
Joshua Skipworth

Plot/Story:
When a murder of crows smash into the windshield, a group of young friends are forced to abandon the vehicle, leaving them stranded beside a desolate cornfield. Hidden deep within the cornfield they find a crumbling farmhouse – but they soon discover that instead of a sanctuary, the house is actually the centre of a terrifying supernatural ritual that they are about to become a part of...

Extras:
Scene selction
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers

My Review:  Well, lets just start of by saying that the picture quality and sound quality was just amazing in this movie. Great job well done! And for the movie itself, i enjoyed it quite a bit. The story was ok, nothing too original. Nothing that havent been shown in a horror movie before. But they did a good job with what they had i think. A lot of 'good' gore scenes (as the movie is about) Its not along movie, it lasts for about 1hour and 15 minutes, so i think they do a good job in that short period of time. A few scary parts, and a few suprises in the movie aswell. Cant complain about that. But the things i didnt like was how the movie ended. And there was a few parts they should have used more time to tell the story. But all in all, i enjoyed it. A good horror movie. Wich i recommand for the horror fans out there. As i said nothing a very original story. But i guess in horror almost everything is done by now so. =)

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

Title: Cape Fear
Year: 1991
Director: Martin Scorsese
Rating: 18
Length: 130 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Japansk: DTS: 5.1, Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS: 5.1, Italiensk: DTS: 5.1, Tysk: DTS: 5.1, Spansk: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Hollandsk, Icelandic, Italiensk, Japansk, Kinesisk, Koreansk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Robert De Niro (1943)
Nick Nolte
Jessica Lange
Juliette Lewis
Joe Don Baker
Robert Mitchum

Plot/Story: Sam Bowden is a small-town corporate attorney/"Leave It to Beaver"-esque family-man. Max Cady is a tattooed, cigar-smoking, bible-quoting, psychotic rapist. What do they have in common? Fourteen years, ago Sam was a public defender assigned to Max Cady's rape trial, and he made a serious error: he hid a document from his illiterate client that could have gotten him acquitted. Now, the cagey, bibliophile Cady has been released, and he intends to teach Sam Bowden and his family a thing or two about loss.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener
Dokumentar
Gallery
BD-Live

My Review:  Well, let me just say this.. One of the best movies i've seen by Robert De Niro in a long time! Its a dark movie, with a perfect De Niro in the lead role..He plays the maniac and the sick and twisted person to a perfect.. How he didnt win an Oscar for that.. I dunno. But yeah, i recommand this movie for anyone that like horror\thrillers or Robert De Niro!  It was a very good movie! I havent seen the original movie yet. The one from 1962? I've heard great things about that aswell, so i guess i have to check that out too sometime aswell.
For you guys that have seen the original, would you recommand it?

My Rating:
6/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

Title: The Bridge on the River Kwai: Collector's Edition
Year: 1957
Director: David Lean
Rating: Rated PG : Mild Violence
Length: 162 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.55:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Italiensk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spansk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Hindu, Italiensk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk

Stars:
William Holden (1918)
Alec Guinness
Jack Hawkins
Sessue Hayakawa
James Donald
Geoffrey Horne

Plot:
pectacularly produced, and the winner of seven Academy Awards' (1957) including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor (ALEC GUINNESS), THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI continues to be one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time. Now, for the first time on Blu-ray™, following an extensive all-new 4K digital restoration from the original negative with newly re-mastered 5.1 audio, experience director DAVID LEAN'S masterpiece as you never have before.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Dokumentar
Interviews
BD-Live

My Review: WOW, what a epic movie.Just gotta say that. I had around for a long time before i watched it the first time, beacuse of the length of the movie. Its just not to put in a movie that last almost 3 hours IMO.But now i've seen it for a second time in a short time. And let me just say what a picture, what a sound. What a master restore of the movie. Just amazing! And for the movie itself, wow just amazing this epic war drama. Just wow, i just loved the movie from beginning to end :D I recommand this movie for EVERYONE!
And how they have done everything is just so perfect. Even though its along movie, you dont even notice that. The movie will have you occupied from start to finish. But i recommand for you guys that are in to HD etc. Watch it in HD (bluray) you will be blown away have perfect they have restored the whole thing. Great story too, and very well played and acted! And i do understand why it won 7 Oscars! :) A movie i think everyone should watch :)
My favourite movie!

My Rating:
6/6

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
You are of course right .. this is a brilliant movie.  One of several that were made in the '50s and early '60s.

Everything from acting, directing and cinematography are excellent.

Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
There are alot of just epic movies from that time! I just love that time. And there is a lot of great movies from the 30-60's i havent watched yet :) something to look forward too! :)
If you have any recommandations, please let me know :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 04:33:03 AM »
There are alot of just epic movies from that time! I just love that time. And there is a lot of great movies from the 30-60's i havent watched yet :) something to look forward too! :)
If you have any recommandations, please let me know :)
A Blu-ray for Lawrence of Arabia is said to be coming soon. If you haven't seen it yet, that would be a must-see. Zulu is great too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:35:14 AM by Achim »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
Yes I am looking forward to the blu-ray version of "Lawrence of Arabia" also.  It is a magnificent movie.  Also look at "Doctor Zhivago".  Another epic film from that time.  (1965)

Also for BIG movies .. all of these are available on blu-ray.  Big movies from BIG directors ..

"The Ten Commandments"
"Ben-Hur"
"Gone with the Wind"
"Cleopatra"
"How the West Was Won"

And if you haven't seen it on Blu-Ray try "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Thanks alot guys! Alot of interesting titles, and some of them i have in my unwatched pile! But hopefully will get to them soon! And for the other ones! Thanks :D I will see if i get some time to order a few movies soon. I'm leaving on a summer vacation in about a week! :D
I've been thinking about watching 'Gone With The Wind' 'Cleopatra' 'Zulu' and 'Ben-Hur' soon. But most of the movies is lasting for almost 3-4hours. And its not just to put on a movie that last for 3hours + (not for me anyways :P )
Really appreciate the help. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:50:40 AM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »

Title: The Iron Lady
Director: Phyllida Lloyd
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Some Violent Images and Brief Nudity
Length: 105 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: Engelsk, Spansk

Stars:
Meryl Streep
Jim Broadbent
Susan Brown
Alice da Cunha
Phoebe Waller-Bridge
Iain Glen

Plot:
The most celebrated actress of our time stars as the most powerful woman of her time. Oscar® winning* Meryl Streep, the most nominated performer in Academy Award® history, delivers the definitive portrayal of England. Much more than a biographical epic, The Iron Lady is also the surprisingly intimate journey of a "common" grocer's daughter whose social ambition and steel will — along with the love of her husband and confidant, Denis (Academy Award® winner** Jim Broadbent) — propelled her to unprecedented power in a world dominated by men.

*1983, Best Actress in a Leading Role for Sophie's Choice. **2002, Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Iris

Extras:
Scenevalg
Bonus Trailers
Dokumentar
Digital Copy

My Review: This movie was a movie i was looking forward to watch. And it was just a real good movie, with both a very interesting and strong story. I've heard about Margaret Thacther and how she was as a primeminister in the UK. But thats it, so it was very nice and interesting to see how she became the primeminister and how she was as an primeminister. A strong story indeed wich i am glad i watched. But there was alot of time jumps in the movie, wich i didnt like that much. I think they could do without the time jumps in this movie. (but thats me) And i have to just say a quick word about Mery Streep in this movie. WOW what a part she did, very well deserved oscar win IMO. One of her best roles that i've seen anyways. An important movie i would say. I recommand you guys to watch this one.

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

Title: Kung Fu Panda 2
Director: Jennifer Yuh Nelson
Rating: 7 år
Length: 90 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Svensk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Dansk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Norsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Finsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spansk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Norsk, Spansk, Svensk

Stars:
Jack Black
Angelina Jolie
Dustin Hoffman
Gary Oldman
Jackie Chan
Seth Rogen

Plot: In the Valley of Peace, Po Ping is revelling in his fulfilled dreams as he serves as the fabled Dragon Warrior protecting his home with his heroes now his closest friends. However, Po and company learn that the murderous Lord Shen of Gongman City is threatening the land with a fearsome new weapon that could mean the end of kung fu. They attempt to stop him, but the panda is burdened with crippling memory flashbacks linked to this villain. Now with China in the balance, Po must learn about his past and find true inner peace against all opposition.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Slettede scener
Interactive Games
Interviews
Animatørens hjørne Animasjonsinspirasjon Festlige fakta

My Review: Took me a long time to finally watch the second Kung Fu Panda. And i enjoyed quite a bit!  I liked this one a bit better then the first one. A really good continuation imo. Its a real cute movie series that i recommand for everyone to watch! You wont regret  And i have to say that the picture and sound quality of the second movie is just amazing! Personally i think its much better then the first movie.

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »

Title: American Psycho: Uncut Version
Year: 2000
Director: Mary Harron
Rating: 15 år
Length: 102 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Engelsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

Stars:
Christian Bale
Justin Theroux
Josh Lucas
Bill Sage
Chloë Sevigny [Chloe Sevigny]
Reese Witherspoon

Plot:
Patrick Bateman is a successful businessman on Wall Street. He lives fast and dangerous, and do everything to look good. But behind the parties, cocaine, and the smart New York - life hides a real monster. As Bateman moves further and further out into frenzied orgies of violence, it is just before he gets mad. But it is Patrick Bateman or the world that is sick? Even when he confesses all, no one bothered to listen to him ..

Extras:
Bonus Trailers

My Review: Well, dunno what to say about this one, just saw this one for the second time with some friends., Well i am still a  little dissapointed about it ;) beacuse i've heard so much about Christian Bale's part, and the movie etc. Its a very special movie, and a very sick\weird movie.. He did an ok part, and the movie was about him, and his sick and twisted life, and i liked it somewhat, but its not the best thriller\horror i've seen. But its ok for a weekend movie or something.  For you guys wondering if you gona watch it or not, sure.. Why not? Give it a shot!  But i will just say this, its not a movie for everybody =)

Its been very quiet on the movie front lately. Since i'm on a vacations with some friends and family members, its not alot of movie watching. But since the weather has been so shitty latey, we've rewatched a few movies. I will post a review about the others soon too i hope.

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »

Title: Fracture
Year: 2007
Director: Gregory Hoblit
Rating: Rated R : Language and Some Violent Content
Length: 113 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Engelsk: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Tysk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russisk: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Engelsk, Polish, Russisk, Spansk, Tysk, Andre

Stars:
Anthony Hopkins
Ryan Gosling
David Strathairn
Rosamund Pike
Embeth Davidtz
Billy Burke (1966)

Plot:
If there's a microscopic fracture in a metal, brilliant engineer Ted Crawford (Anthony Hopkins) will find it. And if there's the tiniest flaw in his cover-up of shooting his unfaithful wife, Crawford defies you – and prosecutor Willy Beachum (Ryan Gosling) – to find it. Beachum's legal talents and ethics are pushed to the limit as he faces off against Crawford in the cat-and-mouse moves and countermoves of Fracture. Gregory Hoblit (Primal Fear) guides this glossy, grown-up courtroom thriller that knows everyone has a weak spot. You just have to find it.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener

My Review: This movie was very hard for me to get, and i had very high expectations for it. For what i've seen from the trailer, it looked f'n good! And Sir Anthony Hopkins is prolly one of my favourite actors, just solid tru' and tru'. Specially loved his work in the Hannibal series! But, over to the movie in hand. It was a  good and solid movie, suspence from beginning to the end, and i think personally Sir Hopkins did a solid part (as always) as the main caracter as a ultra bad guy.. Its not one of those movies that you know the end 20mins in the movie, there are a few twists and turns, and the end kinda "shocked" me a little, and tho so typical! And for those who like Drama\Suspence etc, i reccomand you guys to watch this one! :D

My Rating
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

Title: Babycall
Director: Pål Sletaune
Rating: 15 år
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Norsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: Norwegian

Stars:
Noomi Rapace
Kristoffer Joner
Henrik Rafaelsen
Vetle Qvenild Werring
Bjørn Moan
Torkil Johannes Swensen Høeg

Plot:
After escaping an abusive husband Anna and her 8 year old son move to a secret location in a giant apartment building. Terrified that her ex-husband will find them she buys a baby monitor to keep in her son's room at all times. But strange noises echo in the baby monitor from elsewhere in the building. As she witnesses the sounds of what she believes is another child being murdered she fears it is her own. Reliving the nightmare she recently escaped Anna will need to figure out what's real and what isn't before she loses her sanity and her child.

Extras:
Scene selection

My Review:
Well, let me just start of by saying HOLY SMOKES! It is an Norwegian horror movie. With some big names in the leads. Wich was nice to see, they did a great job IMHO. But the movie itself was kinda weird, and a very different movie. You gotta keep paying attention trough out the whole movie, or you will miss something vital. A movie with a lot of twists that i never saw coming. (And even though i like different movies, this was a bit too weird for me) It was a interesting story, and the actors did a good job i think. But how the movie played out, and how the whole thing ended. I have more quastions then answers really. Didnt get much of it. But for the scandies out there, if you think the trailer looked interesting, and you like a bit weird or out there movies. Check it out.

My Rating:
3/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas