Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 130296 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »

Title: The Sting: Collector's Series
Year: 1973
Director: George Roy Hill
Rating: PG
Length: 129 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: Japansk: DTS: 5.1, Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo, Italiensk: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo, Tysk: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo, Spansk: DTS: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Greek, Hollandsk, Icelandic, Italiensk, Japansk, Kinesisk, Koreansk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Paul Newman (1925)
Robert Redford
Robert Shaw
Charles Durning
Ray Walston
Eileen Brennan

Plot:
The Sting stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford as two con men in 1930s Chicago. After a friend is killed by the mob, they try to get even by attempting to pull of the ultimate 'sting.' No one is to be trusted as the twists unfold, leading up to one of the greatest double-crosses in movie history. The con is on!

Extras:
Scenevalg
Feature Trailers
Dokumentar
Gallery
Production Notes
Interviews

My Review:
I loved alot about this movie, and how they made the booklet edition. Loved the booklet, just awesome imo! I like how they have done that with few of their movies. Nice touch. And for the movie, i've heard alot of great things about it. And first of all, the picture quality and the sound quality was just great. Great job getting it over to the blu-ray. And the movie itself was great too, a different kind of mobster\gangster movie i would say. A movie that i really enjoyed from the start to the finish, love how they did things with it. And the actors did a great job in the movie too! And i actually loved how they ended the movie. Just great. All in all, a movie everyone should watch!
And if your in to HD\Blu-Ray, you should watch in HD. A masterpiece.

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
As a teen I used to watch The Sting whenever it was on TV. Despite the film strongly relying on it's constant twists I never grew tired of it. This Blu-ray is on my Wish List and will be purchased soon...

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
Nice! :) That would be money well spent imo. And when you buy the blu-ray edition, you should buy the 100th Anniversary Edition (the booklet)

Really enjoyed the booklet aswell :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
And don't buy the German release. For what reason ever it's only a single disc edition.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
And don't buy the German release. For what reason ever it's only a single disc edition.

I Bought the English version/realise, and that  too is only a single disc edition, for some weird reason. Cant say i really appreciate it. But i guess they have a reason for whatever they do?
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
Well, no worries, I usually buy the US versions.

I really like the book style packaging as well...

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

Title: Safe House
Year: 2012
Director: Daniel Espinosa
Rating: Rated R : Strong Violence Throughout and Some Language
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS: 5.1, Spansk: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Denzel Washington
Ryan Reynolds
Vera Farmiga
Brendan Gleeson
Sam Shepard
Ruben Blades

Plot:
Tobin Frost (Oscar® winner† Denzel Washington), one of the CIA's most dangerous traitors, resurfaces in South Africa after eluding capture for almost a decade. During Frost's interrogation, the safe house where he is being held is attacked by brutal mercenaries forcing rookie agent Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) to take the infamous Frost on the run. As the masterful manipulator toys with his reluctant protégé, shaking the young operative's morality and idealism, the unlikely allies must fight to stay alive long enough to uncover who wants them both dead. Packed with intense action and thrilling suspense, Safe House takes you on a deadly ride through a covert world where no one and no place is ever safe.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Dokumentar
BD-Live
Digital Copy
pocket BLU

My Review:
Finally i got around to watch this one, was a movie i was looking forward to watch. Was cool to see RR and DW play against each other. A very good movie i think, a typical movie about politics and CIA etc. The movie reminded me alot about the Jason Bourne series. But the movie had my attention trough out the whole thing. Wich is always a good thing. And i think both RR and DW did a good job in the movie. The story though isnt something original, something that have been shown alot before. But a good movie, that i would recommand, and that kept me entertaint trough out.

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

Title: First Blood
Year: 1982
Director: Ted Kotcheff
Rating: Från 15 år
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Tysk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Hollandsk, Italiensk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Sylvester Stallone (1946)
Richard Crenna
Brian Dennehy
Bill McKinney
Jack Starrett
Michael Talbott

Plot:
John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone - Cop Land, Get Carter, Demolition Man, Rocky), a bewildered Vietnam Vet, is hitchhiking from one city to another. Sheriff Will Teasle (Brian Dennehy - She Hate Me, Romeo & Juliet) tries to make him leave his town; but when Rambo refuses, he gets arrested for wandering. Rambo escapes, showing his Vietnam fighting skills and takes to the woods as the sheriff and deputies hunt him in his element. As the publicity of Rambo's one man war escalates, Teasle and his squad are confronted by Colonel Trautman (Richard Crenna - Murder: She Wrote..., Body Heat), Rambo's former commander and the only one who may be able to stop him...

Extras:
Scenevalg
Interviews

My Review:
Well, its not much to say about Rambo really, that hasnt been said before. Everyone have seen and heard about Rambo! But it was yeeears ago since i last watched the Rambo series. And i enjoyed this one very well. It was cool to see the transfer to Blu-Ray, i think they did a good job with it tho. The sound and picture qualtiy was ok. Wasnt the best transfer i've seen, but atleast not the worst. I was kinda suprised. And for the movie itself, i enjoyed it a great deal. Didnt remember much of it (witch was a good thing) And allright story behind it. And it had me glued to the tv.
A movie that  people who are in to HD\BR should rewatch in HD. I'm looking forward to getting around to watch the rest of the series. Highly recommanded on Blu-Ray!

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »

Title: Varg Veum - De Døde Har Det Godt
Year: 2012
Director: Erik Richter Strand
Rating: 15 år
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: Norsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Norsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Norsk, Svensk

Stars:
Trond Espen Seim
Bjørn Floberg
Lene Nystrøm
Jørgen Langhelle
Bintu Sakor
Fumi Desalu-Vold

Plot:
Varg Veum blir vitne til at en ung asylsøkerjente dør foran øynene på ham. Var det en ulykke, eller ble hun drept av noen for å sende en advarsel til andre jenter i miljøet? Sammen oppdager Varg og Karin at den døde var dypt involvert i en virksomhet der unge kvinner på asylmottak blir kynisk utnyttet. Tiden jobber mot Varg, som må bevise hvem som står bak ringen før flere unge jenters liv går tapt

Extras:
Scenevalg

My Review:
I just watched this last night, before i went to bed. So did have any time to write a review yesterday.
But for me Varg Veum is prolly my favourite Norwegian filmseries by all times. And this one didnt dissapoint either, even the story was something that have been used before. But it was nice to see some of the big actors in Norway in this movie. Did a good job imo. And the filmseries is going to an end, i think this is one of the last movies in the series. So for me this a job very well done. (the filmseries is maby from the novels by Gunnar Staalesen) Just a perfect filmseries for the Norwegians out there! :)

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »

Title: Rambo: First Blood Part II
Year: 1985
Director: George P. Cosmatos
Length: 96 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Tysk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Portugisisk: : , Spansk: :
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Hollandsk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Richard Crenna
Charles Napier
Steven Berkoff
Julia Nickson-Soul
Martin Kove

Plot:
Although the Vietnam War is officially over, John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone - Cop Land, Get Carter, Demolition Man, Rocky) remains a formidable fighting machine. His survival skills are tested on a top-secret mission, taking him back to the jungles of Vietnam. His mission is to search for American soldiers missing in action and possibly still alive and held captive by Vietnamese Captain Vinh (William Ghent) and his Russian comrade, Lieutenant Colonel Padovsky (Steven Berkoff - Beverly Hills Cop, Clockwork Orange). Colonel Trautman (Richard Crenna - Murder: She Wrote..., Body Heat) sends Rambo in to rescue them...

Extras:
Interviews

My Review:
The second movie of the series. I dont even remember if i've seen this before. It had to be AGES ago. Beacuse i didnt remember anything. (Wich is always a good thing i think.) And i have to say that they have done a better job this time around with the picture and sound quality. Just great. And for the movie itself, i enjoyed it from start to finish. A great story i think, and i like how much they did with he movie. And Rambo is Rambo. (we know he will survive almost everything?) Even though, great fun. It got my attention trough out the movie. From the 2 Rambo movies i've seen so far. This one is the best so far. Looking forward to watchin the last 2 movies in the series. Hopefully soon.

My Rating:
6/6
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:13:45 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »

Title: Rambo III
Year: 1988
Director: Peter MacDonald
Length: 102 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Fransk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Tysk: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Portugisisk: : , Spansk: :
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Hollandsk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Richard Crenna
Marc de Jonge
Kurtwood Smith
Spiros Focás
Sasson Gabai

Plot:
John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone - Cop Land, Get Carter, Demolition Man, Rocky ) is now living a secluded life in a Buddhist monastery in Thailand. When Rambo's former commander, Colonel Trautman (Richard Crenna - Murder: She Wrote..., Body Heat), asks for his help with a top-secret mission in Afghanistan, Rambo declines. Trautman is kidnapped during the operation by Russian Colonel Zaysen (Marc De Jonge - Etats des Lieux, The Case). Rambo launches a rescue mission, allies himself with the Mujahedeen rebels and gets their help in trying to save Trautman from Zaysen.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Interviews

My Review:
This movie i rememberd i've seen before. But along time ago (and not on blu-ray) so they did a great job on this one aswell, to transfer it over to blu-ray. I saw a big difference anyways. When it comes to the movie itself i liked this one too. A bit different story this time around, not the "usual" Rambo plot\storyline IMO. But it worked. It still had me glued to the tv trough out the movie. A movie i would recommand aswell as the other Rambo movies. Now i just got the last one to watch, hopefully tomorrow perheps. That one i havent seen yet, so i'm real interested to see what they do with that one. And for you guys that are thinking about if you should get the Rambo series on blu-ray. I think you absolutely should! But thats me  So far the three movies i've seen is very good! And i could watch them again, no problem! :D

My Rating:
5/6
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:11:48 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »

Title: Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid
Year: 1981
Director: Saul Swimmer
Rating: NR
Length: 138 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: Engelsk: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Kommentar

Stars:
John Deacon
Brian May
Freddie Mercury
Roger Taylor

Plot:
Queen Rock Montreal, recorded live at Montreal's 18,000 seater Forum over two nights in November 1981, is a celebration of Queen at the very height of their 80's record breaking achievements. It is also a historic recording of the very last concerts of Queen 'raw'.

This was the time when Queen had topped both the US singles and album charts for the first time, had become the first band ever to top the UK singles, albums and video charts simultaneously and on their historic invasion of Latin America had broken the world attendance record for a single paying concert when 131,000 Brazilians saw the band play Sao Paulo's Morumbi stadium. 1981 was, says John Deacon, "a year for discovering new audiences we didn't know existed."

Queen ended that year of extraordinary events at Montreal''s Forum. The dates - November 24 and 25, 1981 - were scheduled specifically to make a full length film of their show. As would be expected of Queen, they took the form of the concert film to a new level, becoming the first group to shoot an entire show in full cinema format 35mm.

Having spent almost two years non-stop touring, and invigorated their triumphant Latin America experience, Queen hit Montreal in top form.

This is the pre 'Hot Space' album, before keyboards would find a place in the band''s touring line up; just four God-gifted musicians in total rapport, delivering live the energy and innovation of their studio recordings.

Originally titled WE WILL ROCK YOU, this film was released in North America in 1984 becoming the first commercially available film of Queen in concert. In this special edition, the 35mm negative was scanned to ensure the highest possible resolution, this was the examined frame by frame where any splices, dirt or damage were removes to enhance the sharpness and quality of the pcture. The sound was newly mixed and remastered for DTS Surround Sound and PCM Stereo from the Original multitrack tapes. 25 tracks and 96 minutes of Queen in peak form.

Tracklisting:

01. We Will Rock You (Fast).
02. Let Me Entertain You.
03. Play The Game.
04. Somebody To Love.
05. Killer Queen.
06. I'm In Love With My Car.
07. Get Down Make Love.
08. Save Me.
09. Now I'm Here.
10. Dragon Attack.
11. Now I'm Here (Reprise).
12. Love Of My Life.
13. Under Pressure.
14. Keep Yourself Alive.
15. Drum And Tympani Solo.
16. Guitar Solo.
17. Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
18. Jailhouse Rock.
19. Bohemian Rhapsody.
20. Tie Your Mother Down.
21. Another One Bites The Dust.
22. Sheer Heart Attack.
23. We Will Rock You.
24. We Are The Champions.
25. God Save The Queen.

...AND LIVE AID
Regularly polled as the greatest live performance of all time, Queen's mighty Live AId show at 6.41pm an July 13, 1985, comes as an exceptional value bonus to this DVD. In addition to the full 'global jukebox' set that reinforced Queen's position as unrivalled rock entertainers, Freddie and Brain's preformance later in the evening of their poignant composotion 'Is This The World We Created' is included. Also - and here's the new bonus - 11 minutes of never before seen Live Aid rehearsal footage plus a rehearsal interview with the band.

In addition, there''s the real curiosity value of a 1982 news feature frum US TV series PM Magazine. Brain May and Roger Taylor bring the story up to date with a brand new audio commentary of the Montreal concert.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Interviews
DVD-ROM innhold
Live Aid Performance Footage, Live Aid Rehersal

My Review:
Ah, let me just start of by saying that music is very important to me. I need good music to get trough the days (as a good movie) and many of the great bands are finally getting their shows out on blu-ray. And not only dvds. And Queen is one of the biggest and greatest bands thats been there. Shame Freddie Mercury died so much to early. But, when it comes to this blu-ray here.. Let me just say that the concert in it self is just perfect. What a show they make on the stage. (thinking about its a really long time ago) and the songs too.. Just perfect IMO. I would give this set a perfect score, if it wasnt for the bonus footage. I hoped and thought it would be a bit more. But it wasnt. So it will get almost a perfect score.

My Rating:
5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »

Title: Rambo IIII: Extended Cut
Year: 2008
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Rating: 18 år
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Engelsk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: Finsk, Norsk, Svensk

Stars:
Julie Benz
Matthew Marsden
Graham McTavish
Rey Gallegos
Jake La Botz

Plot:
Vietnam veteran John Rambo has survived many harrowing ordeals in his lifetime and has since withdrawn into a simple and secluded existence in Thailand, where he spends his time capturing snakes for local entertainers, and chauffeuring locals in his old PT boat. Even though he is looking to avoid trouble, trouble has a way of finding him: a group of Christian human rights missionaries, led by Michael Burnett and Sarah Miller, approach Rambo with the desire to rent his boat to travel up the river to Burma. For over fifty years, Burma has been a war zone. The Karen people of the region, who consist of peasants and farmers, have endured brutally oppressive rule from the murderous Burmese military and have been struggling for survival every single day. After some inner contemplation, Rambo accepts the offer and takes Michael, Sarah, and the rest of the missionaries up the river. When the missionaries finally arrive at the Karen village..

Extras:
Scenevalg
Dokumentar

My Review:
Well, i got a few things to say about this movie. First of all i was very interested to see how they pulled it off, since it was about 20 years since the last Rambo movie was made. And ofc Rambo is alot older, and you can see that on him. He isnt the Rambo he once was. It was a good movie, dont get me wrong, but for me the movie was a bit slow at times, and i didnt have the "Rambo feeling" about the movie everywhere. And the plot\story was interesting aswell. But they could have done a bit more i think. But still a good movie. I checked on IMDB, and from the looks of it, it might be a Rambo 5! I dont know what i think about that tho. But this one was good after all this year after all. And its kinda a must watch if you have first the 3 first Rambo movies.

My Rating:
4/6
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:09:53 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 06:26:59 AM »
I have never seen parts 2 and 3 (no intent on changing that either), but I stzill thought part 4 went very well as companion to the original First Blood. And even while he was also having some message in there I enjoyed it mainly for the popcorn flick it was.  Few horror movies have more gore :laugh:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
I have never seen parts 2 and 3 (no intent on changing that either), but I stzill thought part 4 went very well as companion to the original First Blood. And even while he was also having some message in there I enjoyed it mainly for the popcorn flick it was.  Few horror movies have more gore :laugh:

Hehe, i gotcha. Even though i thought the part 2 was\is the best movie in the Rambo series. And as said, the last movie so far was good. But for me i think the 4th movie is enough. But we'll see how they will do it, IF they make a movie number 5.. Dont forget that Stallone is starting to get old. (too old for a new Rambo?)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:21:30 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas