Author Topic: Roswell Episode Reviews  (Read 4124 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Roswell Episode Reviews
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:47 PM »

Episode Reviews
Roswell is a sci-fi drama about teenage alien/human hybrids living in Roswell , New Mexico who attempt to survive as humans and hide their alien identities while discovering more about their individual powers - all the while figuring out how to return to their home planet. Roswell intertwines romance and science fiction, and always keeps audiences guessing. The television show was based on the " Roswell High" book series written by Melinda Metz.

Starring:
Katherine Heigl as Isabel
Jason Behr as Max
Shiri Appleby as Liz
Brendan Fehr as Michael
William Sadler as Sheriff Valenti
Majandra Delfino as Maria
Colin Hanks as Alex
Nick Wechsler as Kyle
Emilie de Ravin as Tess.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Roswell Episode Reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

"I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. After that, things got really weird." So begins a new life for Liz and her friend Maria after they discover that three of their classmates at Roswell High aren't exactly from "around here." To be more exact, Max, Isabel and Michael are from "up there." Having grown up quietly within the community, their alien identities are suddenly jeopardized after Max uses his powers to save Liz's life. Now the alien trio must learn to trust their human friends even as they struggle to discover their own true identities.

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. The Morning After
3. Monsters
4. Leaving Normal
5. Missing
6. 285 South
7. River Dog
8. Blood Brother
9. Heat Wave
10. The Balance
11. The Toy House
12. Into the Woods
13. The Convention
14. Blind Date
15. Independence Day
16. Sexual Healing
17. Crazy
18. Tess, Lies and Videotape
19. Four-Square
20. Max to the Max
21. The White Room
22. Destiny
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »
Pete, if you haven't seen this series before, you will surely enjoy it!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
I have seen it... it has just been several years. So far I watched the first 2 episodes on the first disc.
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »
I always thought that Brendan Fehr was the spitting image of a very young Richard Gere!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:18:14 PM by Hal »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »
Thank You! I knew he reminded me of someone... just couldn't put my finger on it. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:18 PM »

1. PILOT
Liz Parker discovers a fellow high school classmate has otherworldly powers when she's shot during an altercation at the Crashdown Cafe.

My Thoughts:
This is a right good pilot episode. The storyline drew me in from the beginning... and I like all the characters. Looks like I may be able to get into this series again.

My Rating:

2. THE MORNING AFTER
Liz and Maria come to their new friends' aid after Sheriff Valenti and Ms. Topolsky show an unusual interest in Max, Isabel and Michael.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode. I forgot until now how serialized this series is. It is one you really do need to see in order. A pleasant surprise in this one. Ms. Topolsky is played by the always lovely Julie Benz. I been a fan of hers for some time now. I probably knew this before... but forgot about it. But it was fun spotting her in this episode. She is in a good handful of season one episodes.

My Rating:

3. MONSTERS
Isabel uses her powers to visit Maria in her dreams after she, Max and Michael begin to fear Maria will not be able to keep their secret.

My Thoughts:
I like this episode a lot! Easily my favorite episode so far. I know... not much of an accomplishment when it is only episode #3... but still... I loved every minute of it. I liked how they really didn't know what Maria was going to do... in fact she didn't until the time came up.

My Rating:

4. LEAVING NORMAL
Although Max has decided he must stay away from Liz, he helps her say a final farewell to her comatose grandmother.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit as well. It is a touching, emotional episode. It kept my attention through-out with no trouble at all. And the episode went by before I knew it. A sure sign of a good episode!

My Rating:

Season 1 Disc 1 Thoughts:
After the first four episodes I have a feeling I will really be getting into this series again. I really like how they did the discs for this series. But the one thing this show don't have that would have made it better.... a Play All feature. Sure... it is no real big deal to go back to the menu after each episode... but at the same time, it is nice to be able to just start up the disc and just not worry about it... letting it play through all the episodes.

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on Pilot
- Deleted Scenes from Pilot
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
Roswell is certainly a guilty pleasure of mine and I've rewatched it several times. I'm not sure why, but Jason Behr's poor acting actually helps with his character and I actually think it is William Sadler and Colin Hanks that own the show. Of course, it also introduced me to not only Katharine Heigl, but also Shiri Appleby and to a lesser extent Delfino. I look forward to reading your thoughts on key episodes, like when Emilie de Ravin makes her first appearance or the River Dog episodes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »

5. MISSING
Liz panics when her journal, which contains details of how Max used his alien powers to save her life, comes up missing.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. It keeps you guessing about the journal and you learn a little more about Julie Benz's character.

My Rating:

6. 285 SOUTH
A book entitled "Among Us" leads the gang to a geodesic dome where they discover information that may reveal Max, Isabel and Michael's origins.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good episode. It sends the gang on a trip to where Michael's visions were showing him. It is part 1 of a two part episode.

My Rating:

7. RIVER DOG
Isabel finds a pendant which a Native American named River Dog claims an alien gave to the author of "Among Us" back in 1959.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good conclusion to the previous episode. Brings us much further in giving them the answers they are looking for. At the same time it opens up more questions. But that is to be expected in a series that is as serialized as this one is. But this two part episode is definitely among the best of the series so far.

My Rating:

5. BLOOD BROTHER
Alex, who knows nothing about the aliens, is shocked and suspicious when Liz and Isabel say they need a sample of his blood.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I enjoyed quite a bit. Not quite as good as the previous couple... but definitely entertaining. It is a storyline that obviously had to be told... what happens if one of the aliens gets hurt and ends up in the hospital... where the first thing they do is draw their blood... blood they can't let be analyzed.

My Rating:

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on Blood Brother
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »

9. HEAT WAVE
While things heat up between Maria and Michael, Liz is forced to tell a disbelieving Alex that Max, Isabel and Michael are aliens.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. I did enjoy it. But I must admit that I didn't give the episode the attention it deserved as I got doing other things while watching. But from the half attention that I was giving it... I did enjoy the storyline.

My Rating:

10. THE BALANCE
Angry that Max kept his encounter at the Indian reservation a secret, Michael heads out to the desert alone to confront River Dog.

My Thoughts:
This episode I liked a lot! A very interesting episode that kept my attention from beginning to end. Another must see episode of the series.

My Rating:

11. THE TOY HOUSE
Max uses his powers to put out a fire in his mother's kitchen, triggering her memory of how he healed a wounded pigeon when he was a child.

My Thoughts:
While not quite as good as the last... this is still a very good episode. It has a great storyline that had no problem keeping me interested.

My Rating:

12. INTO THE WOODS
The gang takes advantage of the annual Father's Camping Weekend to check out a reported sighting of an alien landing.

My Thoughts:
Another one I enjoyed quite a bit. It advances the main storyline of the series very nicely. And it promises for some interesting things to come.

My Rating:

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on The Balance
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10:25 AM »

13. THE CONVENTION
The annual UFO convention brings back the couple who saw Max save Liz's life and the alien hunter who cost Valenti's father his job when he was sheriff.

My Thoughts:
An enjoyable episode. This one gives a lot of background on the alien that the kids are searching for. It also has a bit of comedy mixed in with the UFO convention... which has guest star Jonathan Frakes as himself attending.

My Rating:

14. BLIND DATE
A drunken Max and Kyle partake in a bit of male bonding after Liz wins a radio contest that sets her up with the perfect date.

My Thoughts:
While you really wouldn't know it by the episode... as it is only briefly mentioned once... this is a Valentine's Day episode. It is really played more for fun then anything else. But it is a good episode... I enjoyed it.

My Rating:

15. INDEPENDENCE DAY
After his adoptive father becomes physically abusive, Michael decides the time has come for him to leave Roswell.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode that kept my interest through-out. It has a good storyline... one that advances the season long arc well.

My Rating:

16. SEXUAL HEALING
Fleeting images that Liz sees whenever she kisses Max lead the couple to a radio tower where they discover an otherworldly metallic orb.

My Thoughts:
I liked this episode... though it did get a little make-out heavy with all the teens. And no... that is not a bad thing. Not in any way. Though it did get a little old after a while. But over-all it is a good story.

My Rating:

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on Sexual Healing
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »

17. CRAZY
Isabel makes friends with a new girl at school named Tess just as Ms. Topolsky returns with a warning that an alien hunter is tracking down Max.

My Thoughts:
This episode is the one that introduces Tess... which surprises me... I thought I remembered it happening earlier then this. This episode also brings back Julie Benz for unfortunately one last guest appearance. I enjoyed every minute of this one... it really advances the season long arc nicely.

My Rating:

18. TESS, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE
Although strangely drawn to Tess, Max finds it hard to trust her - so the gang decides to set up a hidden camera in her house.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... though slightly less so then the previous one. In this episode we find out who Tess is.

My Rating:

19. FOUR SQUARE
Isabel and Michael share a shockingly erotic dream while Tess approaches Max with the promise that she will explain everything to him.

My Thoughts:
In this episode we find out even more about who Tess is. It is a good episode. I liked the side storyline between Isobel and Michael. And of course this late into the season... it brings us much further in the season long storyline. This is a good episode... but not quite as good as the previous couple.

My Rating:

20. MAX TO THE MAX
A mysterious being called Nasedo assumes Max's identity and kidnaps Liz in an attempt to trap the secret government agent chasing him.

My Thoughts:
It is really getting down to all the good stuff at this point. Starting to to tie the season long storyline together. This one ends in a great cliffhanger. A very good episode.

My Rating:

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on Crazy
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
I really dug Topolsky's return in these episodes and what they find out with the hidden camera when Tess waves her hand to rebuild the broken ornament.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
Yeah... I am just upset Topolsky won't be back. I liked the character... and been a fan of the actress playing her for a long time.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »

21. THE WHITE ROOM
The gang must work together with Sheriff Valenti, Tess and Nasedo after Max is captured and held at a military base by a special unit of alien hunters.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... kept my attention from the beginning to the end. At this point it is bringing the season long storyline to a close.

My Rating:

22. DESTINY
Even as everyone escapes from the military base, Max and Liz realize they are not meant to be together and that Max's destiny lies with Tess.

My Thoughts:
A good ending to the first season. In this episode the teen aliens find out what they been trying to find out for the entire season. Who they are and where they are from. While watching the last couple episodes I kept thinking how FBI Agent Pierce looks so familiar to me. And rightly so... where I just watched it. He is the same actor that plays Jim in Ghost Whisperer.

My Rating:

Extras on This Disc:
- Commentary on Destiny
- Area 51 Featurette
- Roswell High Featurette
- Emilie de Raven (Tess) Audition Tape
- Save Yourself Music Video
Pete