Author Topic: Jon's Alphabet Marathon 2010  (Read 68225 times)

Najemikon

Re: Jon's Alphabet Marathon 2010
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
And with that... I'm finished!

;)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
Great review and a great film. As much as I liked No Country for Old Men, this was the better film that year and should have won for Best Picture.

As to the ending...I am one of those who found fault with it, because Dano's character is reduced to a babbling idiot of sorts. If Anderson had made Dano portray it with a bit less absurdity, it may have worked. But to have him appear as a petulant, whiny child with ADD , throws all sense of believabilty right out the window.

You mentioned Altman earlier, and I could see Altman doing something like this, just to throw the audience a curve ball, but as it would have with Altman, here too, it doesn't work.

Najemikon

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
Great review and a great film. As much as I liked No Country for Old Men, this was the better film that year and should have won for Best Picture.

As to the ending...I am one of those who found fault with it, because Dano's character is reduced to a babbling idiot of sorts. If Anderson had made Dano portray it with a bit less absurdity, it may have worked. But to have him appear as a petulant, whiny child with ADD , throws all sense of believabilty right out the window.

You mentioned Altman earlier, and I could see Altman doing something like this, just to throw the audience a curve ball, but as it would have with Altman, here too, it doesn't work.

Well...

(click to show/hide)

By the way, have you seen the Jesse James film? I call it the "Jesse James film", because it's easier than having to type "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"... oh.  ;)

I reviewed it here: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,886.msg73730.html#msg73730 and was pleased to see it gather some local forum support. I would have said liking any of the three (with No Country) would predispose you to the other two, but Eric shook that the other day. He happened to see There Will Be Blood the same night as me last week, but found it very boring. Shame.

In the interests of balance, Rick also reviewed Jesse James: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6526.msg118817.html#msg118817
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:43:41 AM by Jon »

Najemikon

« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
Have you seen Kermode's positive rant on this film? I didn't realise the composer was in Radiohead, but anyway, this is funny stuff. Incisive and passionate too:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2010, 02:29:20 AM »
I guess what it really boils down to for me, isn't that he's whiny and petulant, but the fact that I thought Dano wasn't up to the task of making it believable.

I've seen TAoJJbtCRF a couple of times now, and the first time I watched it, I found to be laboring in its pace. But after I watched it a second time I really liked it. Would I rate it as one of the greatest westerns of all time, maybe not. But if you're in the right frame of mind for a western that takes its time and tells a good story, then I would recommend it, with that reservation about the pace.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:17 AM »
The Road
I watched this last night and quite liked it. As you said, the acting is very good, the production design is marvelous and cinematography is also excellent.

The lack of a story, or I better say plot since there is a story, is a bit confusing at first.

(click to show/hide)

Why aren’t people working together? How did all the bad guys find each other and get sort of organised, but the good guys don’t?
Because it all goes bad eventually... The good guys turn bad when hunger, greed or jealousy gets the better of them. So, in overall they stick to themselves to be safe.

Some dismiss it as depressing, but they were probably depressed because they couldn’t see past the lack of plot and set-pieces to find the genuine and substantial human drama within.
I think the "depressing" comes from showing that bleak world, where death can always be around the next corner. Everything is terribly grey; we only see bits of color in the flashbacks and with the son's blanket (:hmmmm:). And then of course the seemingly open end of the film...

(click to show/hide)

I agree with your identification of the "carrying the fire" line being the key-point of this film. Two other great lines came from the son (I put some of it in spoilers, as it's best to discover the full extent of their meaning while watrching the film):
"I wish I could be with my mom."
(click to show/hide)
and
(click to show/hide)
Son: "Yes I am the one!"

Especially the latter goes very close with what you said about the scene with Robert Duvall (his comment about the son being an angel).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
This is the only film of De Palma's I would rate so high.
:o

I respect your opinion when it comes to film, but I feel that you do yourself a disservice by rating films in this manner. If someone joins this forum or reads your blog and you rate a film such as this (a film I would be hard pressed to rate above 4) with the same rating as Ikiru, Casablanca or M, and they watch and it doesn't live up to the quality of the films I've mentioned, then you lose credibility with that person in any further review you write.
I thought about this just a week ago myself. In fact, in order to use ratings from this forum for a purchase decision you must have been here for while, know what kind of films each reviewer likes and how he/she rates them. We discussed this in the past and agreed, that we want to make our rating personal.

If I were to use "real" ratings for the films I review I'd probably get more 3s rather than 4s and 5s. But, in the end it's about showing people how YOU rate the film, not how you think it should be placed within film history (which I think was the argument that let us to the result in before mentioned discussion). Actually, isn't that how you have to approach other reviews? Maybe you like films Ebert likes, but hate stuff Kael praises? Maybe films reviewed by Kermode fall in the middle? You still need to find a reviewer whose opinion matches yours.

Your reviews are clear on their purpose, as you use a different rating scale, which is placed below your reviews. Most of use our own scale, which is more about personal judgement. I guess your "complaint" is, that John uses a star rating (which indicates that he rates like you do) but then applies it in the same way the others use the smiley rating...

There Will Be Blood

[...]

Daniel Plainview and son are independent oil men,
Interesting. Is this a real-life character...? Or did Rockstar games pay tribute to the movie in Red Dead Redemption? (There is an oil-site in the game which is called "Plainview".)

Najemikon

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
The Road
I watched this last night and quite liked it. As you said, the acting is very good, the production design is marvelous and cinematography is also excellent.

(click to show/hide)

I agree with your identification of the "carrying the fire" line being the key-point of this film. Two other great lines came from the son (I put some of it in spoilers, as it's best to discover the full extent of their meaning while watrching the film):
"I wish I could be with my mom."
(click to show/hide)
and
(click to show/hide)
Son: "Yes I am the one!"

Especially the latter goes very close with what you said about the scene with Robert Duvall (his comment about the son being an angel).

Excellent use of spoilers there, Achim!

(click to show/hide)

This is the only film of De Palma's I would rate so high.
:o

:laugh: I need to take another look at Carrie and Scarface (though I definitely think it is overrated, despite it's classic icon status), but otherwise he's made some fantastic movies. I'm just making the point, contrary to belief, it isn't that easy to get a high-five from me!

I thought about this just a week ago myself. In fact, in order to use ratings from this forum for a purchase decision you must have been here for while, know what kind of films each reviewer likes and how he/she rates them. We discussed this in the past and agreed, that we want to make our rating personal.

If I were to use "real" ratings for the films I review I'd probably get more 3s rather than 4s and 5s. But, in the end it's about showing people how YOU rate the film, not how you think it should be placed within film history (which I think was the argument that let us to the result in before mentioned discussion). Actually, isn't that how you have to approach other reviews? Maybe you like films Ebert likes, but hate stuff Kael praises? Maybe films reviewed by Kermode fall in the middle? You still need to find a reviewer whose opinion matches yours.

Your reviews are clear on their purpose, as you use a different rating scale, which is placed below your reviews. Most of use our own scale, which is more about personal judgement. I guess your "complaint" is, that John uses a star rating (which indicates that he rates like you do) but then applies it in the same way the others use the smiley rating...

Yep, that's how I feel. I try to write in a manner that you can make your own mind up to a degree as well. I don't want you to agree with me, just so long as you do... understand what I say... ;)

There Will Be Blood

[...]

Daniel Plainview and son are independent oil men,
Interesting. Is this a real-life character...? Or did Rockstar games pay tribute to the movie in Red Dead Redemption? (There is an oil-site in the game which is called "Plainview".)

A quick Google seems to find people concluding that this is just a smart reference to the film. It is as well... :clap:

The film is based on a book called Oil!, I believe to be a work of fiction.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2010, 03:45:27 AM »
Excellent use of spoilers there, Achim!
Well, thanks. I found that the sentences themselves only carry their true meaning when seen in context with the questions/responses...

(click to show/hide)
I watched it again yesterday with the audio commentary on.
(click to show/hide)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Constant Gardener *****
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
The Constant Gardener
5 out of 5
I love it when this happens. I’d already seen The Constant Gardener and knew I liked it, but I had an urge to watch it again and it seemed to take on a whole new level. On this occasion, I found it achingly brilliant.

Just a short comment, I haven't made up my mind about it yet.

I'm deeply suspicious about commercial message movies dealing with contemporary issues of this scale. And the le Carré quote at the end just rubs me the wrong way - if the issue really matters to you, why did you end up making just a "holiday postcard"?

But I do like the visual style and I agree that Fiennes and especially Weisz are pretty good, but their love story feels a bit shorthanded and some of their flashback scenes together are just... not exactly too clichéd, but too suitable, I guess.
Matthias

Najemikon

Re: The Constant Gardener *****
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
Whatever you conclude, thanks for trying it. I always felt you would get something from it, even if not as much as I did.

I'm deeply suspicious about commercial message movies dealing with contemporary issues of this scale. And the le Carré quote at the end just rubs me the wrong way - if the issue really matters to you, why did you end up making just a "holiday postcard"?

But I do like the visual style and I agree that Fiennes and especially Weisz are pretty good, but their love story feels a bit shorthanded and some of their flashback scenes together are just... not exactly too clichéd, but too suitable, I guess.

I too am suspicious of such stories and I think any plot that relies on one is instantly handicapped, hence my comments that you have to subscribe to the writers point of view to get the full benefit of their idea. What I found with this film, at least on a second viewing, is that it mattered less how convinced we were by the conspiracy and more how much we believed in Tessa. We can accept that she is dedicated to this thing for us and so we can concentrate on her. If anything, we are like Justin, not paying attention to what she does, we're more interested in who she is.

I don't want to undermine that main plot, because the film certainly doesn't, but still, I think Fernando Meirelles was sharp enough not to make us rely on it...

(click to show/hide)

One thing worth bearing in mind concerning the end quote, is that Le Carre said the film bore little resemblance to his book. He meant that as a compliment. I read a couple reviews of the book and get the feeling he did do exactly what I don't like and made the drug plot front and centre. Critics seem to feel he fell into the authors trap of doing a "Flavour of the Month" where all his research and indignation came out too obvious. So maybe his original book did justify the quote more.

I'll admit the flashback scenes did come across too brittle to me, but again, that was the first time. I know it's cheap to keep saying "second viewing", but it is true for some films. This is a very nostalgic story, so it works best when you already know it!

(click to show/hide)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Junior Bonner ***
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Junior Bonner
3 out of 5

I finally got to see this film last night, courtesy of TCM. I thought it was a very entertaining film and quite a departure for Peckinpah. 3.5/5

On the other hand, the director did surprise me with occasional clumsiness, including the dated split screen titles that make it look like a TV movie and a cheesy freeze frame montage at the end.

You have to remember Jon, that the split screen imagery was still quite fresh in 1972, being only 2 years removed from the seminal documentary of Woodstock.

Plus the lighter hearted “Milking” event is both very funny and impressively staged. Add in a classy cowboy barroom brawl, a lively cast, a poignant story and you have a passable couple of hours. And the film might keep coming back to you, despite its humble nature. Another overview I read claimed this was Peckinpah's favourite film of his own. While I think it is far from his best, I can well believe it. It has a good heart.

It is definitely a film that I will revisit from time to time in the future. I wish Peckinpah would have made more films like this in his career.

Najemikon

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
You have to remember Jon, that the split screen imagery was still quite fresh in 1972, being only 2 years removed from the seminal documentary of Woodstock.

That's true, but I've never liked it and it has dated the film more than would be expected. I'm not fond of the freeze frames at the end either.

It is definitely a film that I will revisit from time to time in the future. I wish Peckinpah would have made more films like this in his career.

Me too. He brought considerable experience to a small story. Some of the rodeo scenes were incredible and I really wasn't expecting that.

Plus McQueen had such style. Have you ever seen The Hunter? Quirky, but really good. I reviewed for the last Alphathon.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Have you ever seen The Hunter? Quirky, but really good. I reviewed for the last Alphathon.

It's an OK film, but I've never thought it was that great. The reason for my  :yawn: attitude toward it is the fact that the real Ralph Thorson could have been a stunt double in John Huston's Moby Dick for the white whale. He weighed over 400 pounds.

The story just rang hollow for me because of that fact.

Najemikon

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »
I heard he was a big fella and the story bore little resemblance, but I also picked up that this was probably faithful to his memoirs, which were probably largely fabricated by him! So I liked the atmosphere. And McQueen's performance is great, especially when he can't drive...  ;)