Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224472 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:03 AM »

The Parent Trap (1998) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
What if you spent your whole life wishing for something you didn't know you already had? Hallie Parker and Annie James are about to find out.
From Walt Disney Pictures and the creators of Father Of The Bride comes the hilariously fresh and contemporary retelling of the classic hit THE PARENT TRAP.
Hallie is a cool girl from California. Annie is a fair rose from London. When the two accidentally meet at summer camp, they think they have nothing in common except...they're identical twins (both played by LINDSAY LOHAN). Now they're up to their freckles in schemes and dreams to switch places, get their parents (DENNIS QUAID and NATASHA RICHARDSON) back together and have the family they've always wished for.
This heart-warming and delightfully clever comedy adventure will enchant your entire family.

My Thoughts:
Believe it or not, Lindsay Lohan hasn't always been in the media for her personal problems. At one point, she was a successful Disney star and this remake of 1961's The Parent Trap is well regarded as one of her better Disney movies. Playing twins Hallie and Annie, Lohan puts in a reasonable performance and works well with the more experienced likes of Dennis Quaid, Natasha Richardson and Elaine Hendrix. The story is fun, if a little long, and has some rather funny moments thrown in, the best of which come during the first act at the summer camp. It's surprisingly long for a family Disney film at over two hours but it's paced well enough that you don't notice to much. I did find it strange that although each twin lives with what comes across as a respectable and thoughtful parent, the twins never knew each other existed, though I can write that off as a way to get the story together. It doesn't break any barriers, but it is good family fun and better than a lot of the live action Disney films that currently get released. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:41:58 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »

Prowl (2010) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Amber dreams of escaping her small town existence and persuades her friends to accompany her to find an apartment in the big city. When their transportation breaks down, she and her friends gratefully accept a ride in the back of a truck. But when the driver refuses to stop and they discover the cargo is hundreds of cartons of blood, they begin to really panic. Their panic turns to terror when the truck disgorges them into a dark, abandoned warehouse where blood-thirsty creatures learn to hunt human prey, which the friends realize, is what they now are...

My Thoughts:
Directed by Patrik Syversen, Prowl is an entry into the "After Dark" range of horror films that is worth looking into for fans of vampire based horror. The story has a nice little twist towards the end, and the vampire effects were of reasonable quality, looking very similar to those seen in (the far superior overall) 30 Days of Night. The main character, Amber, is played by Courtney Hope and although not a great performance, it is sufficient. There is a nice little role for Bruce Payne as the truck driver Bernard, and it is worth noting that although set in America, the main cast are predominatly British. The only real problems with Prowl are the fact it feels like every other vampire film out there and it takes a little while to get going but it is a reasonably solid low/mid-budget horror movie. A slightly generous 3/5.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »

End of the Road (2010) (via Lovefilm streaming)

Overview:
With no prior knowledge of car mechanics, two of London's brightest young stand-up comics, Alexis Dubus and Sy Thomas, embark on an epic journey of friendship and self discovery. Ridiculed by their friends for not having an ounce of common sense or resilience between them, Sy and Alexis are desperate to prove their doubters wrong. After purchasing a second-hand car for £100, the pair embark on a fraught and highly eventful 4000 mile journey across seven different countries and a stretch of the Western Sahara Desert. But with no knowledge of car mechanics, they must rely on their charm and strength in adversity to have any chance of arriving at their destination in The Gambia. If successful in reaching their goal, their car (or what's left of it) will be auctioned off for local charities. With their passion for meeting people and visiting places of natural beauty and cultural importance...

My Thoughts:
This documentary is a little bit of a mixed bag. Advertised as featuring two of the UK's brightest young stand-up comedians, the documentary is surprising in that it doesn't really use comedy at all in the way their story is told. They buy an old left hand drive Ford Bronco for £100 with the goal of driving to Gambia without the car dieing on them. Whilst the documentary shows the journey quite well, we don't really learn about any of the places they travelled through, the other people doing the journey (there are a few £100 cars in the challenge) or even the challenge itself. Instead, it is more of showing the two 'comics' driving, getting lost, needing help, getting the car signed by people they meet, and not much of any significance, which is a shame as the opening twenty minute set-up was well structured. It passed the time, but it's to insignificant and they miss too many opportunities for me to watch again. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #258 on: December 29, 2011, 07:50:28 AM »

Donkey Punch (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
It's party time on the Med and three girls are out to lose themselves in a hedonistic whirlwind of sun-soaked, booze-drenched, depraved fun. When a group of like-minded lads offer to keep the party going by taking them to their luxury yacht, it's just the glamorous adventure the girls are up for. But the night takes a vicious turn... Some lose their inhibitions, others lose their lives as the evening suddenly erupts into a drug-fueled frenzy of bizarre sex acts including the 'donkey punch', savage violence, gruesome murder and a ruthless fight for survival.
With an incredible atmosphere of unease and unbearable tension based around unflinching scenes of graphic sex and extreme violence, DONKEY PUNCH stars Jaime Winstone (Kidulthood) and Julian Morris (Cry Wolf) in one of the most controversial horror/thrillers of the year.

My Thoughts:
Donkey Punch is such a hit and miss film. Directed by Oliver Blackburn in his feature length debut, it features some interesting ideas but ultimately falls flat by bringing nothing new to the table and by having hit-and-miss dialogue and acting. Easily the best cast member is Jaime Winstone, showing she maybe has had the acting genes passed down from her dad but everyone else muddles their way through. Blackburn has managed to make what looks like a well-polished and professional film, and he manages to build up the story reasonably well, but after the 'Donkey Punch' it does lose its way and doesn't keep the tension or suspense required to keep the viewer hooked. Overall, it is a bit of a missed opportunity but still worth a rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #259 on: December 29, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »

Till Human Voices Wake Us (2002) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Spectacularly photographed in Australia and hauntingly atmospheric in theme, Till Human Voices Wake Us teams Guy Pearce (Memento, L.A. Confidential) and Helena Bonham Carter (Fight Club, The Wings of the Dove) in a compelling supernatural romance. Pearce plays Dr. Sam Franks, an emotionally troubled psychologist who is travelling home to bury his father in the small Australian town where he was raised. It is an emotional journey that forces him to confront the memories of a long-ago summer that ended in tragedy – an incident that continues to torment him in his adult life. During the journey, he encounters Ruby (Carter), a beautiful, mysterious young woman with a secret past. Is Ruby real? Or is she a ghost – a manifestation – that Sam has created to allow him to say goodbye to a heartbreaking passage in his life?

My Thoughts:
Till Human Voices Wake Us is a little bit of a slow mover. Effectively told through two timelines (Dr. Sam Franks' childhood and adulthood) the quality between the two is chalk and cheese with the segments showing the childhood starring Lindley Joyner and Brooke Harmon more interesting than the segments during adulthood starring Guy Pearce and Helena Bonham Carter. Whilst there are above average performances from the cast all round, the slow pace and obvious route of the plot can make it a little hard going at times, but still, the story is at least average. The long scenic shots throughout are done well and suit the feel of the film but often these long shots coincide with moments that are not engaging for the viewer (long periods of characters thinking etc). If you're a fan of any of the cast, this is worth a look but it is a slow burner and formulaic from start to end. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #260 on: December 29, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »

The Omega Man (1971) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Welcome to the future. Biological war has decimated life on Earth. Los Angeles is a windswept ghost town where Robert Neville tools his convertible through sunlit streets for supplies. And makes damn sure he gets undercover before sundown, when other "inhabitants" emerge.
The Omega Man adapts Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend into a high-impact, high-tension saga of a fate not far removed from reality. Charlton Heston is Neville, fending off attacks by The Family, sinister neopeople spawned by the plague. He also becomes a man with a mission after meeting Lisa (Rosalind Cash), another uninfected survivor - and guardian of some healthy children representing our species' hope.

My Thoughts:
The Omega Man recently had a bit of a resurgance after the release of the Will Smith reimagining I Am Legend (both based on the I Am Legend book). The world has been obliterated after a biological war and there are very very few survivors, but there are quite a few 'walking dead' who have been infected with a plague in the aftermath. Heston spends his time avoiding and fighting these people but some of the best scenes actually come from Heston talking to himself, like when he is watching Woodstock in a deserted cinema. The story takes a turn when he meets Lisa who is looking after some healthy children and it revives his human passion and emotion for life in order to help them. The empty streets look great, Heston is a good choice for the lead and it is well paced. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:15:42 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
This new and thoroughly captivating remake of Disney's original hit has become an instant favourite with audiences of all ages. You'll lose your heart to Chance, a fun-loving American bulldog; Sassy, a hilarious Himalayan cat who lives up to her name; and Shadow, the wise, old golden retriever - all of whom express themselves with very familiar human voices! The thrilling adventure begins when these irresistible pets decide to head home after being separated from their loving owners. On their incredible journey, across a ruggedly beautiful mountain range, they encounter danger and excitement at every turn, from ferocious beasts to the harsh elements of nature. It's an unforgettable story of love, courage and devotion that will inspire everyone in the family.

My Thoughts:
I first saw Homeward Bound at the cinema, so I will have been just twelve years old, and at that age, I obviously loved it. Rewatching it at the age of 28 I can remember why. Sure, it is oversentimental at times and holds no surprises, but it's an enjoyable, sometimes funny, sometimes sad film about a family being reunited with their pets. Whilst some of the scenes with the family members are cringeworthy at times, Disney managed to utilise the animals well to invoke several emotions in the viewer, such as when Sassy almost drowns or when we aren't sure if old Shadow will make it. The animals are voiced well by Michael J. Fox, Don Ameche and Sally Field and the ending, though obvious, is a great moment. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:42:58 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Najemikon

« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »
Homeward Bound would scrape a two from me at best because of the voices. Have you seen The Incredible Journey? It's astonishing and all the better for the animals not having stupid voices! I can't bear that. The original animals are much more impressive by being just that: animals.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
Have you seen The Incredible Journey?

Not as yet but it is on the wishlist.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:18 AM »

30 Days of Night (2007) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Barrow, Alaska: A remote, isolated town that is plunged into a state of complete darkness for 30 days every winter. It is here that a group of marauding, merciless and bloodthirsty vampires, led by Marlow (Danny Huston), are coming. Their intention? A month long, uninterrupted feast of its helpless residents.
It is up to Sheriff Eben (Josh Hartnett), his estranged wife, Stella (Melissa George), and an ever-shrinking group of survivors to do anything and everything they can to last till daylight.

My Thoughts:
I've seen 30 Days of Night on three occasions now and enjoyed it every single time. One of the best horror movies of recent years, it stars Josh Hartnett and Melissa George as an estranged couple who must deal with a vampire attack on their hometown of Barrow, Alaska. What makes this slightly different, is that it is the time of year where Barrow will not see light for 30 days, so these vampires are not going to disappear the following morning. The scares sometimes rely on a loud noise but there are some effective moments where the action takes place just off screen, as well as some very gory moments (axe meeting head in particular). The special effects are above average and include some unique looking vampires, and the characters are surprisingly likeable. I wasn't expecting much from either Josh Hartnett or Melissa George, but both put in worthwhile performances and neither detract from the movie. The supporting cast are sort of skipped over as they don't take much screentime, but I did think the best actor involved was Mark Boone Junior as Beau whose best moment comes as he drives a snowplough into the vampires as they attack Hartnett/George's overturned police truck. Overall, it is well paced, has enough scares and enough of a plot, and is very atmospheric, so recommended, especially to horror fans with a good speaker set-up. 4/5
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:33:37 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
I thought in overall 30 Days of Night was a good concept, with the vampires given free reign(sp?) for a whole month.

One thing REALLY bugged me though in this film, reducing the enjoyment for me: The eating habits of the vampires. Why do they have to be so messy? It doesn't even make a lot of sense, since after the first kill there is no more chance to blend in to surpise the next victim. Or what about the blood cooling down and eventuzally freezing in/on the clothes? The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
One thing REALLY bugged me though in this film, reducing the enjoyment for me: The eating habits of the vampires. Why do they have to be so messy? It doesn't even make a lot of sense, since after the first kill there is no more chance to blend in to surpise the next victim. Or what about the blood cooling down and eventuzally freezing in/on the clothes? The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

Vaid points, and it actually brings up the one thing that annoyed me which I forgot to mention in my review. The majority of the kills happen in the very first night, and then the story is rather spread out, but what did my nut in was the fact they never really keep the viewer in clue as to how far in the thirty days they are apart from the odd bit of minor chit-chat. I would've liked to see how tensions etc changed over the prolonged period. As for why are they messy? Because the town is isolated so no need for the vamps to be 'hidden' away, and instead, make it known they are out there.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »

Clueless (1995) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Still as smart and charming as ever, Clueless gets a fresh, sassy makeover for this new "Whatever!" Collector's Edition. Alicia Silverstone sparkles as Cher, the matchmaking 15-year-old Beverly Hills High schooler who has shopping and boys on her mind, but mostly shopping. Also starring Brittany Murphy as a dowdy transfer student, Jeremy Sisto as her potential mate and Paul Rudd as Cher's sensitive "Baldwin" step-brother, Clueless is back to capture the hearts of a whole new generation.

My Thoughts:
OK, I admit it. I'm a fan of this movie. Alicia Silverstone is perfect in the lead and Brittany Murphy, Stacey Dash, Donald Faison, Paul Rudd, Breckin Meyer and Dan Hedaya all put in worthwhile supporting efforts. The story, is a bit cliched at times, but it really does work well in its favour and I really enjoyed the way it pans out and Silverstone's narrative segments. Obviously, this teen comedy isn't for everybody but it's more than enjoyable and really purveys that stereotypical 'Sweet Valley' rich girl in a mall vibe really well without becoming a joke in itself. In fact, if you really look at it, the story is a lot deeper than it looks on first glance, despite it's formulaic structure. If you do like this, also check out Mean Girls. Recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:33:18 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »

13hrs (2010) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
From the producer of Dog Soldiers, 13 Hrs stars some of the hottest young British talent in one of the horror hits of the year. Starring Tom Felton (Harry Potter), Gemma Atkinson (Hollyoaks), Isabella Calthorpe (How to Lose Friends and Alienate People) and Joshua Bowman (Holby City). A full moon hangs in the night sky and lightning streaks across dark storm clouds. Sarah Tyler (Isabella Calthorpe) returns to her troubled family home in the isolated countryside, for a much put-off visit. As the storm rages on, Sarah, along with her family and friends shore up for the night, cut off from the outside world. But something emerges from the driving rain and darkness. Something that holds a dark secret so devastating that, in one night, it could wipe out the entire family. Trapped, Sarah, along with her brothers and friends must use their heads as well as their physical strength to survive not only the thing that is hunting them down one by one - but their own entrapment as the besieged group turns in on itself. Can they survive the horror which is stalking them? Can they survive for 13 hours? Or is their enemy already amongst them and always has been?

My Thoughts:
"From the producers of Dog Soldiers" is mentioned on the case, and is admittedly what interested me in grabbing this from a mate's shelf to watch. Starring Isabella Calthorpe, Gemma Atkinson and Tom Felton among others, 13Hrs is unfortunately a rather poor British werewolf movie that misses the mark in several respects. First of all, the quality of the acting is poor throughout. Whilst Gabriel Thomson, Gemma Atkinson and Simon MacCorkindale have all got successful television roles in their CV, they have never really been known for their outstanding acting, but in this film, all three fail to reach even the mediocrity of their TV roles (though I have seen much worse in Brit horror). Tom Felton, who plays Draco in the Harry Potter movies is of particular disappointment here. The script is as formulaic as they come and the dialogue is often clumpy and hammy but there is the odd spark of well placed dialogue. Special effects at times are OK, but they are not utilised well enough throughout and the opting for a red tint view through the eyes of the werewolf is sometimes amateurish compared to what could have been done. The film does manage to build tension quite well when the gang first realise what is happening but the poor acting stops the suspense and atmosphere in its tracks at times. I really wanted this British horror to be good, but I can't bring myself to recommend it to anybody no matter how hard I try. Skip it... btw, if anyone can tell me what the title actually has to do with the movie, please let me know! 2/5
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:37:03 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »
From the producer of ....
When this or "from the director of..." appear on case it's usually a good sign that a movie will be bad :laugh: