Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 223591 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

The Hangover (2009) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
They planned a Vegas bachelor party that they would never forget. Now they really need to remember what exactly went down! Whose baby is in the closet of their Caesars Palace suite? How did a tiger get in the Bathroom? Why is one of them missing a tooth? And most of all, where is the groom?! What the guys did while partying can't compare to what they must do sober in an outrageous caper that has them piecing together all their bad decisions from the night before - one hazy clue at a time. Director Todd Phillips (Old School) and an all-aces comedy cast bring it big time with unpredictable situations that somehow all fit together.

My Thoughts:
The Hangover is a comedy that movies from set piece to set piece flawlessly getting more and more insane with each scene. Just when you think it couldn't get anymore bizarre, something comes out of leftfield and makes you laugh again and again, even on numerous rewatches. The Hangover's cast suit the film well, the real star being Zach Galifianakis but there are also some very memorable cameos, most notably from Mike Tyson and Heather Graham. Jeffrey Tambor, Mike Epps, Ken Jeong and Rachael Harris add to the impressive supporting cast, each with funny scenes and dialogue. This is a movie that suits a lads night in, so get some beers and enjoy it for what it is, an insanely funny comedy. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »

Pulp Fiction (1994) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Hollywood's hottest director Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs) assembles an all-star cast for a skillfully woven tale of small-time gangster life in a most ambitious and provocative film, PULP FICTION. Bruce Willis (Unbreakable) and Oscar® Nominees John Travolta (Best Actor) and Samuel L. Jackson (Best Supporting Actor) deliver career performances as petty thugs in L.A.'s criminal underworld - where gritty confrontations, fast talk and perverse humour are all part of the daily grind. Nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award™ 1995, this boldly inventive and expertly orchestrated crime saga is hailed by critics as a landmark achievement in modern filmmaking.

My Thoughts:
Whilst not quite my favourite Tarantino film (that space is reserved for Jackie Brown), Pulp Fiction is still an absolute phenomenal piece of cinema. More of a black comedy than a crime drama, the dialogue is fast flowing and very funny. As with any Tarantino film, the soundtrack is perfectly selected and the way in which Tarantino uses the music to move flawlessly from scene to scene is excellent. Thoroughly deserving of it's best script Oscar it was cruelly robbed of many others. With the perfect cast, a well paced story and great pop culture references, Pulp Fiction will undoubtedly be a film that is remembered for years to come. Some do not like Tarantino because he 'steals' the ideas from so many other films (or pays homage as he likes to call it), but in my opinion, if he continues to make absolutely blinding films, he can steal all he wants. Highly recommended. 5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2011, 01:17:41 AM »

Exit Wounds (2001) R1 America

Overview:
They should name a street or building after Detroit detective Orin Boyd (Steven Seagal). Instead, days after single-handedly throttling an army of political assassins, he's busted to white-gloved traffic cop. Someone wants Boyd out of the way, someone who should follow this advice: call for backup.
Steven Seagal and DMX kick it up a notch in this searing action thriller from producer Joel Silver (The Matrix) that has them joining forces in a battle against police corruption. Andrzej Bartkowiak (Romeo Must Die) directs, fusing starpower (including Isaiah Washington, Jill Hennessy and Tom Arnold), firepower and road-burning horsepower into scenes that push the action tachometer into the red zone.

My Thoughts:
You either like Steven Seagal or you don't. Me? I love the old codger and the way he puts out the same old guilty pleasure tat time and time again. In Exit Wounds, we actually get a movie that is better than most of his 21st century output with some well staged action sequences, a very good car chase, some great stunts, and some funny supporting characters. I'm not usually a fan of Tom Arnold, but coupled here with Anthony Anderson, his character continually cracked me up. If you have a penchant for action movies from Seagal, this is definately worth a pick-up. A recommended guilty pleasure. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2011, 03:49:57 AM »

The Chase (1994) R0 United Kingdom

Overview:
Strap yourself in for nonstop action as two of the screen's hottest stars team up for a "racy" road romance that hurtles along the freeways of California!
Charlie Sheen is escaped convict Jack Hammond and Kristy Swanson is Natalie, the billionaire's daughter Jack seizes as a hostage. The unplanned abduction quickly accelerates into a high-speed race for the Mexican border with Jack at the wheel of Natalie's BMW and a multitude of others in hot pursuit. Soon the fleeing couple realize they're both desperate to escape, as the chase - and their comical, high-spirited romance - shifts into high gear!

My Thoughts:
The Chase stars Charlie Sheen as an (innocent) escaped convict who kidnaps Kristy Swanson, the daughter of a local property magnate when police go into the petrol station he is in and the stolen car he is driving comes over the police radio. Complete cheese from the outset, there is something strangely enjoyable about The Chase. There are some bizarre scenes like dead bodies falling out of a medical truck on the highway and a helicopter blowing up from one pistol gunshot. Also, the acting from the supporting cast (which includes Henry Rollins and members of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers) is so hilariously overdone it makes you laugh throughout. A surprisingly fun guilty pleasure worthy of a cheap purchase. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:24 AM »

Flushed Away (2006) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In one of the year's best-reviewed films, pampered pet mouse Roddy St. James thinks he's got it made... until he's literally flushed away to a bustling underground world of ninja frogs, hench-rats and singing slugs. "Aardman strike the funnybone again." (Total Film) and "One of the best animated films of the year" (Sunday Mirror). This outrageously inventive comedy-adventure is a flood of fun for both kids and grown-ups.

My Thoughts:
Flushed Away is a joint tour-de-force production between Dreamworks Interactive (Shrek) and Aardman Animation (Wallace & Gromit) to try and capitalise on the rapidly expanding CGI movies aimed at kids that have enough jokes for the adults thrown in. The animation is very good, but both companies are capable of better, and the story doesn't really hold any surprises, even for the youngest viewer. Where Flushed Away manages to succeed though is in the strong script writing, with plenty of clever jokes that will make kids laugh, but have additional meaning for the adults to also have fun. Kate Winslet and Hugh Jackman voice the main characters well, and the supporting cast includes British greats such as Ian McKellen, Bill Nighy and Andy Serkis. As the bad guy, we have Jean Reno, also a very welcome addition. Is it the best of it's genre? Not at all, but it's still a lot of fun. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2011, 01:19:32 AM »

Out Cold (2001) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
For snowboarders Rick (Jason London - Dazed And Confused), Luke (Zach Galifianakis - Bubble Boy) and their buddies, life at the Bull Mountain ski area is about partying hard, looking for girls and doing anything for a good time. But when the town's founder dies, his son decides to sell the mountain to a sleazy developer (Lee Majors - TV's Six Million Dollar Man) who's intent on turning Bull Mountain into a slick yuppie ski resort. Featuring outrageous stunts by real-life snowboarding champions like Todd Richards, Rio Tahara, Tara Dakides, Devun Walsh and Rob "Sluggo" Boyce – and a red-hot sountrack – it's an avalanche of laughs as the guys do whatever it takes to save their mountain.

My Thoughts:
This is standard ski lodge comedy fare that has been done a hundred times over although it is still reasonably enjoyable. There are some good early appearances from AJ Cook and Zach Galifianakis, and David Koechner is quite funny in a smaller supporting role. Of course, for the resort totty we get Victoria Silvstedt in her usual typecast role, poorly acted and there for nothing but scenery. Whilst the film won't win any awards for acting or writing, it still has enough moments to keep you amused such as Galifianakis getting his penis stuck in a jacuzzi hole, and the soundtrack is pretty good if you enjoy the likes of Weezer and Jack Johnson. Overall, if you enjoy these ski lodge comedy movies, it's worth a look. It's certainly better than Frostbite (starring Traci Lords) anyway. 3/5.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »

Virgin Territory (2007) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
A beautiful princess (Mischa Barton) is left penniless and alone after her wealthy parents perish during an outbreak of plague. Seizing on this opportunity the evil Gerbino de la Ratta (Tim Roth) pressures her to marry him as an escape from financial ruin. The fate of the princess now rests with a mysterious stranger. Lorenzo (Hayden Christensen), a travelling rogue who swears to win her affection and overthrow his long-time nemesis, the brutal de la Ratta.
With an all-star cast including Rupert Friend (Outlaw) and David Williams. Virgin Territory is a fantastic tale of adventure, fantasy and the fight to secure true love.

My Thoughts:
Loosely based on The Decameron, Virgin Territory is a bit of a shambles from the offset. It is trying to be a comedy in a medieval setting, something the far superior A Knight's Tale does so well, but unlike A Knight's Tale, fails to mix it with the drama and romance well, failing at every conceivable turn. The plot is strung along between unfunny jokes and some of the acting is at times unbearable (Hayden Christensen). Mischa Barton doesn't do herself any favours either and is incapable of making it look like she even wants to be there. Then there's the cameo from David Walliams, a man whose comedy style I generally find amusing, utilised horribly in what may be his worst attempt at acting yet. The attempts at gross-out humour could've been funny, but they seem to be added as an afterthought and end up pointless and lacklustre. Do yourself a favour, and skip this. 1/5
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:40:52 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

Young Frankenstein (1974) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchback Igor (MARTY FELDMAN) and the curvaceous Inga (TERI GARR) he creates a monster (PETER BOYLE) who only wants to be loved. CLORIS LEACHMAN, MADELINE KAHN, KENNETH MARS, and GENE HACKMAN co-star in this inspired vision of lunacy.

My Thoughts:
Young Frankenstein is a great parody of all the fantastic gothic horrors based around the Frankenstein character and everything about the film, is just so close to those movies I love. The sets look very similar to those that James Whale would've used, the dialogue is hilarious and expertly written by both director Mel Brooks and star Gene Wilder, the music suits the tone of the film to a tee and the entire cast are well suited to their roles... and what a cast it is! Gene Wilder as Dr. Frankenstein (or Fronkonsteen), Peter Boyle as the monster, Marty Feldman as Igor, Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth, Teri Garr as Inga and Cloris Leachman as Frau Blücher all gel together very well and help make this one the greatest comedy films out there. Some truly laugh out loud moments make this highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2011, 06:28:01 AM »

Supervixens (1975) R0 United Kingdom

Overview:
Geared for the times, Russ Meyer's Supervixens wields the double-bladed axe of satire...cutting and hacking its way to the very bone of society...laying bare and exposing, with great candour, the frailties, weaknesses and strengths of its citizens. A picture born to entertainment, shocking in its frankness, yet so hilariously funny in its delivery. A cinematic smorgasbord of erotic fantasy...six of the world's most bountiful women...served up from the lusty table of Russ Meyer.

My Thoughts:
For me, Russ Meyer holds a certain place in my heart. When I was fourteen/fifteen, I can remember staying up on a Thursday night to watch his films, when Channel 5 wasn't as clean cut as it is now. Then the next day, going to school and discussing the finer points of his films with my mates. Obviously, this talk wouldn't progress much further than discussing certain parts of the main actresses anatomy and then we would wait for the following Thursday to come along. Born to a policeman and nurse, Russ Meyer became well known for his direction of sexploitation films through the sixties and the early seventies and this is the first time I've watched one in around seven or eight years. Is the film just what I thought it was back then, a romp-filled fest with no story? Or now that I'm older and have a bit more understanding, is there an underlying tone to his films that I somewhat missed in my teenage years?

Supervixens was one of Meyer's last films and stars Charles Pitts (Hollywood Man, Hardly Working) as Clint Ramsey. One day, whilst working at the garage, his girlfriend phones him. She gets very angry when hearing a customer say what shes going to do to her boyfriend down the phone, and although Clint stays faithful, SuperAngel (Shari Eubank - Chest Anderson USN) demands he comes home. When he gets there, they get into fight and she puts an axe through his truck, causing the neighbour to call the police. He gets arrested, released and ends up at a bar whilst the cop that stepped in, Harry Sledge (Charles Napier - Annapolis), ends up with SuperAngel killing her in a rage. As Clint is in the frame for the murder, he runs away, meeting various characters until he ends up working at the SuperVixen garage. One day, the murderous cop Harry pulls up for petrol, and soon enough recognises who Clint is. Harry then kidnaps SuperVixen and we are quickly thrust into an explosive ending.

Before I start giving my overall opinion on the film, let's be honest and say that anyone expecting some sort of award winning film should look elsewhere. Shot on a budget of under $100k, this film has many flaws. Some of the characters introduced whilst Clint makes his way between the two garages are just there so that another sex scene can be added along with gratuitous nudity. There isn't much wrong with this but getting rid of one or two of these scenes or cutting them down, would've made the already weak plot a lot tighter. The acting isn't great but is wonderfully cheesy and as the film gets to the gritty ending you notice that Meyer has actually done well to develop both Clint and Harry, as you find yourself really disliking Harry, but feeling for Clint in a bit of an offbeat way. If you just want a bit of fun and a bit of laugh, then this film is certainly worth a look but if you're not a fan of other comedic sexploitation films, then you'd be best to avoid this. 4/5

Video:
Arrow Films have provided the film with the original aspect ratio of 4:3 and it's not very good. Although the colours are generally bright and enriching, it is spoiled by the countless scratches, grain and split second blotches on the top right hand side. The film is a better than VHS but it could do with a LOT of restoration work. No subtitles have been provided.

Audio:
Arrow Films have provided us with a solo English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono track, which is actually the film's original option. There is an occasional crackle, but other than that, the audio is quite a bit better than the picture. Dialogue is clear at all times and music levels are at an even keel throughout with no need to change the volume halfway thrugh the film. The 'swinging' soundtrack comes through nicely aswell. Obviously, an upmixed surround track of some sort would have been a great addition, but as it is, the mono track is certainly capable.

Extras:

We start off the small amount of extras with an audio commentary with director Russ Meyer. Ported over from the old laserdisc release, the commentary is actually pretty informative. With Meyer telling us about the crew members parts in the film aswell as his own cameo, he seems to have really enjoyed making the film, despite what he says about Charlie Pitts causing a few problems with coming onto the lead actresses off camera. Delightfully insightful, brutally honest and with plenty of anecdotes chucked in, this commentary MUST be listed to.

Other than the commentary we just get a trailer reel which is only available as a play all option and includes the following trailers:
- Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (2:44)
- Blacksnake! (1:23)
- Mudhoney (3:22)
- Vixen (1:23)
- Wild Gals of the Naked West (2:19)
- Supervixens (1:53)
- Beneath the Valley of the Ultra Vixens (1:57)
- Cherry, Harry & Raquel! (3:14)
- Common-Law Cabin (3:07)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:43:35 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2011, 06:29:43 AM »
I have posted the above review before, but just rewatched the movie, and the review was never indexed so posting it again due to rewatch hoping it can be added to the review list on next update. Cheers RossRoy. ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2011, 06:36:10 AM »
Young Frankenstein (1974)  The sets look very similar to those that James Whale would've used...

There is a reason that the sets look familiar, Mel Brooks did indeed use much of James Whale's original sets for Young Frankenstein.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »
Young Frankenstein (1974)  The sets look very similar to those that James Whale would've used...

There is a reason that the sets look familiar, Mel Brooks did indeed use much of James Whale's original sets for Young Frankenstein.

You learn something new everyday! Thanks Kathy. Do you know which films in particular the sets were used from? I was mostly reminded of The Old Dark House rather than Frankenstein itself. (A film I need to rewatch... had pretty much forgotten about it until watching YF).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »

Love and Other Impossible Pursuits (2009) (AKA The Other Woman) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
Academy Award Winner Natalie Portman (Black Swan) lights up the screen in this frank, funny, and heart-wrenching adaptation of bestselling author Ayelet Waldman s novel about life, loss, and family.
Emilia (Portman) is a Harvard law school graduate and a newlywed, after falling in love with her already married high-powered boss Jack (Scott Cohen, Love & Other Drugs), when she began working at his law firm.
Unfortunately, Emilia s life takes an unexpected turn following the sudden death of her and Jack s newborn daughter. Devastated, Emilia struggles through her grief and tries to forge a connection with her precocious new stepson William (Charlie Tahan, I Am Legend), whilst also trying to cope with the constant interferences of her husband's angry, jealous ex-wife, Carolyn (Lisa Kudrow, Friends).
Can Emilia rediscover her own capacity for love in time to salvage her failing marriage and build a family from the wreckage?

My Thoughts:
Love and Other Impossible Pursuits is an adaptation based upon the book of the same name by Ayelet Waldman and went widely unnoticed during it's very limited theatrical release with a gross of barely $20,000, despite the star power behind it. Unfortunately, it is rather underwhelming. A strong subject matter, the screenplay and how it has been brought to screen is rather cliched (note, I have not read the book so unsure how close it is), and whilst there are some quite powerful moments, such as seeing the picture of the family William has drawn, the story is formulaic and doesn't feel like it is anything you haven't seen before. There are some noteworthy performances from Scott Cohen, Natalie Portman and Charlie Tahan, but I do have to wonder how Lisa Kudrow manages to get work as she is the weak link (though she is a regular for drector Don Roos). Worth a look, but nothing new. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »

Fair Game (2010) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
From the director of The Bourne Identity comes this riveting thriller inspired by the experiences of real-life CIA officer Valerie Plame (Academy Award® nominee Naomi Watts). When Plame's retired ambassador husband Joe Wilson (played by Academy Award® winner Sean Penn) writes a newspaper article challenging the basis for the U.S. war on Iraq, the White House leaks Plame's undercover status leaving her international contacts vulnerable, her career in shambles and her life in danger. Crackling with sharp dialogue, gripping intrigue and heart-pounding suspense, Fair Game is the adventure that's so unbelievable, it can only be real.

My Thoughts:
Doug Liman is a director whose work I enjoy and so his involvement was the main basis for me viewing this movie based upon the true story of ex-CIA operative Valerie Plame who is uncovered in the press by a White House source to discredit an article by her husband Joe Wilson. Although this movie has come out some years after the fact, what uncovers is a truly fascinating story, focusing as much on the political events as it does between the relationship between Valerie and Joe as events unfold. Of course, the movie is really only one side of the story, but that shouldn't take away from it's importance. As with most of Liman's work, the film is well edited and paced, and Naomi Watts and Sean Penn are great in the leads. The only downfall for me was the subplot with the Iraqi doctor which ended rather abruptly without any real closure apart from a final meeting between his sister and Valerie. The disc comes with a commentary by Valerie Plane and Joe Wilson, which is also worth a listen (and has been the first I have listened to in full for some time). Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2011, 12:46:47 AM »

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
Mick Haller (Matthew McConaughey) is a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney who operates out of the back of his Lincoln Towncar. Having spent most of his career defending petty gutter-variety criminals, he unexpectedly lands the case of a lifetime: defending a rich Beverly Hills realtor (Ryan Phillippe) who is accused of attempted rape and murder.
However, what appears in the beginning to be a straightforward case with a big money pay-off swiftly develops into a deadly match between two masters of manipulation, in Lakeshore Entertainment's, The Lincoln Lawyer.

My Thoughts:
Matthew McConaughey... a name that strikes fear into every movie-goer with his generally shoddy acting in rom-coms. But wait! I have to confirm that there is talent hidden there somewhere, because as the main character in The Lincoln Lawyer, McConaughey not only shows range, but also that he can actually act with the right material (also proven with We Are Marshall). Backed up with a great supporting cast that includes two of the most underappreciated stars out there, Marisa Tomei and William H. Macy, McConaughey nails his performance here as a lawyer who conducts his business from the back of a Lincoln car who ends up in a game of manipulation with a wealthy client. The script is strong, allowing for some good twists and surprises and the film is nicely shot and well edited. Recommended. 4/5