Author Topic: New TV  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
New TV
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
I got a new tv last week.  I ordered it early in the week and got it on Friday.  No stores around here had it in stock. 

I had been thinking about getting a new tv for my room off and on for a while, but I wasn't in any hurry.  I did start checking prices more often in the last month or so and was thinking more about it.  Then I got the Blu-ray for the living room and was amazed at how wonderful movies looked.  So I started thinking even more about getting one for my room and finally decided to go ahead and splurge a bit and get one.  I probably shouldn't have, but I'm very happy with it.  And since I was getting a nice new HD tv...I got a Blu-ray for that set too.  I didn't want to hook up the cheap DVD player I had in there to the new set.   :laugh:

Anyway, I got a 32 inch 1080p full HD set.  I decided that if I was going to get one, I wanted the full HD.  I did have a minor scare when I first turned it on..there was a bit of a Kermit effect going on, making the people green.  I checked all the settings on the set, thinking something was wacky there.  All were where they should be.  Then I get to looking and the one cable from the cable box came loose.  Thank goodness that fixed it.  I was beginning to think I got a defective tv and would have to exchange it.   :laugh:

So I've been enjoying my new tv and Blu-ray.  I have watched a few DVDs on them and for at least a few that I'd watched before on the old set and DVD player, I think the picture quality looks much better now.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: New TV
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »
Hey, grats and enjoy new new telly. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:19 AM »
Have fun with the new TV and the Blu-rays.

TV program will never look the same again, though.

Critter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »
Congrats for the new TV Marie!
I had that last year. My house was sort of known for having bad TVs, up until last year I had two tiny, terrible qaulity analoge TV's with discolouration and a terrible noisy DVD player. They sort of starting breaking down though and in the end my Mum just sort of snapped and went on an impulse electrical spending frenzy. I now have one 50-inch plasama, and one I think 32-inch LED LCD TV which is full HD. And both of the TV's have a blu-ray player haha, even though I only have 6 blu-ray DVDs. It was pretty mental to go from such a horrible entertainment system to suddenly having the latest of everything after so many years. I almost don't want to move out to go to uni next year now haha. This house is suddenly entertainment central!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:57:02 AM by Critter »

karmesinrot

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
Woo way to treat yourself Marie!  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
This house is suddenly entertainment central!
You already visit the right forum to go with that  :cheers:

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a new one.  The one I've got now I have had for at least a decade.  Right after I got this TV (a Sony 27-inch model) my friend Norman noticed there was a crack on the right side of the frame.  Unfortunately, the place I bought it from was in the process of going out of business.  At one point I was talking on the phone to the salesman who sold it to me.  He put me on hold...and went home while I was still on the phone!  I hope he's now in the business where he has to ask if you want fries with that...  :voodoo:

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
I feel like doing that with most of our customers, Roger! :-X :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Don't forget to have it calibrated properly. It makes a world of difference.

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
Congrats Marie! :)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
How great - congratulations!

karmesinrot

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Lol Roger, I can't believe that guy was so rude! I worked in a shop that was going out of business and my manager told us to be as rude as we wanted because there would be no head office to complain to...literally a week later we got bought over haha! Eventually did shut down 18 months later though

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:48:57 AM »
Don't forget to have it calibrated properly. It makes a world of difference.

I'll have to check to make sure I got that done.  I know I checked settings.  I need to read more in the manual I think.   :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
I mentioned back in May I would like a new TV and now it looks like I will definitely be getting one.  I ordered a PS3 for both games and to have my first blu-ray player so I need to upgrade from my old Sony 27-inch standard set.  I am leaning towards a Sony Bravia 40-inch set I saw in a store yesterday.  But now I'm wondering...are sets like this hard to set up?  I'm wondering due to Antares saying to have that set properly calibrated...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
Rog, remember that in a store, they have the color boosted and the thermal settings on Warm. This is because they have to make the picture look bolder due to the lighting in the store. The lights in a store are usually quite different from what you use in your home.

Ask the salesperson to change the thermal setting to cool and have him turn the color all the way down to a black and white picture, then ask him to slowly increase the color so that it doesn't look as saturated as it was when you walked in.

Another thing to ask him is what is the contrast ratio on each set you look at. If he doesn't know, then leave the store, because this salesperson is not the kind of person you want helping you. A ratio of 5,000:1 is a good start.

Calibrating yourself is not that difficult if you purchase the following...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/Video-calibration.ep

Lastly...remember that all service plans are a sales technique designed to remove money from your wallet. They are a rip-off.