Author Topic: New TV  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New TV
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »
In general they are not hard to set up. Antares tips are good to know...

Make sure you are sufficiently equipped with HDMI cables to connect your PS3 with your TV! IIRC the PS3 comes without one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »
I have been very happy with mine.  I went through and looked at the different settings...some of them were just too ...hmm..I don't know...unnatural looking I guess.  Especially the one for video games.  I just have mine on normal I think it is. Looks good to me.

Oh..and make sure the cables are pushed in securely too.  When I first got mine going, I thought it was defective...there was a lovely green cast to everything and everyone.  So everyone looked like they were related to the Hulk.   :laugh:  Then I checked the connections and one of the cables to the cable box wasn't pushed all the way in.

Rogmeister

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
Yes, Marie, I had read your earlier post about everyone looking like The Hulk!  :laugh:  I forgot to order an HDMI cable (though I did think to order the blu-ray remote for the PS3) though I won't need that until I get the new TV.  I'll pick one up maybe the next time I'm at the store.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »
 :laugh:
I got my HDMI cable from Amazon...cheaper than ones in the stores around here.  Though just after that, Sam's Club had 2 for like $25 or $30. 
Though maybe if you check a few stores, you can find one on sale somewhere after tomorrow.

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »
WHAT?  :o

I bought a HDMI cable from Ebay for £2 and it works perfectly!

look on Ebay! definitely!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »

Emma is right, always check on ebay. That's where I got mine from.

Critter

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
I think I just got mine from the store when I bought my PS3.

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »

Emma is right, always check on ebay. That's where I got mine from.

Beware. HDMI has several revisions and I tried a cheaper, lower revision, but my Blu-Ray player wouldn't entertain it. The best way to explain it is to think of it as a hosepipe; the faster the flow, the wider it needs to be. It isn't about the quality of the actual cable, but literally its capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Versions

I haven't looked properly, but the following link might suggest the PS3 uses 1.3?

http://formatwarcentral.com/2007/05/08/does-the-ps3-really-have-hdmi-13/

Rogmeister

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:46 AM »
I still haven't settled my mind 100% on a TV.  I was leaning towards a 40-inch TV but my nephew told me today I should get a Vizio.  I looked at his and it looks pretty good.  His is a 37-inch set, I think.  Any thoughts between Sony and Vizio?  I'm not sure what the 37-inch Vizio costs here...

Critter

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »
Haha, any thoughts between Sony and Vizio?

Samsung!  :bag:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
Vizio? Doesn't Dick Smith sell them?

Roger, if I were you I'll be just looking at the Samsung and Sony TVs.

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
Well, I have always enjoyed Sony products so I may just stick with it anyway.  After all, what better TV to plug a Sony Playstation into than a Sony TV?  :thanks:

Fasteddie33

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
I just got a new Vizio 42"....Its 1080p and 120 Hz....Its AWESOME!!!..You can definatley see a huge difference between 60Hz and 120 Hz,especialy with blu rays and upconverted dvd's....The remote is awesome too...you can adjust and set up everything with it...it also has a great picture finder which allows you to pick from alot different programs (like movie,sports video game,etc).....And the best part,it was only $700!!!!....Be sure to get the 120Hz,you will be thankful!!!! :cheers:

hal9g

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
I've got a 32" Vizio LED.  I don't think you can beat them on price point!  And the picture is perfect (I guess that would be "picture perfect")!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:29 AM »
Be sure you get 200hz, you'll be even more thankful!