Author Topic: New Here  (Read 4749 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: New Here
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
Welcome!  :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
Good to see a new member, especially a friend of Antares. I'm disappointed though that my planned Hot or Not poll might not be received as well as I thought...  :whistle:  :D

It's not that we don't like them, but that is the Promethean extent of "discussion" at the BPR forum lately. That, and this...
Michael Bay

Be WARNED Jon, they're serious.  :voodoo:

No. No they're not. You're pulling my leg.  :P

Aren't you? ??? :fingerchew:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
I really look forward to future Jimmy and Justine discussions.  :cheers:

lyonsden5

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
So the Hot or Not polls are banned now...? Can we still do the Hannah Montana appreciation thread?
:hysterical:

filmincarnate

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
I took a class on Quebecois cinema a couple years ago and loved it. I found myself very surprised at how distinct and of quality the films were yet they get little to no recognition here in the states.
Sadly they don't had a great recognition in the english parts of our country also. The cinema industry here doesn't really had a choice to be distinct to compete with the US industry and we have succeed quite well in this contrary to the english canada. But the industry tend to release more and more crap because Telefilm Canada now is very selective and finance mostly blockbuster movies, so our originality is on its dying way. Just sad for a little "country" who had made such greatness as Maria Chapdeleine, Les Ordres, La mort d'un bûcheron, un zoo la nuit, Le viol d'une jeune fille douce, Valerie, Gina, On est au coton, Octobre, Le Party, ... And some more known in the english spoken world like Happy Birthday to me, Shivers, Rabid, Cannibal Girls, Ilsa She-Wolf of the SS, Death Weekend,...

There have only been a small handful of recent films to come from Quebec that recieved much attention here, the first to come to mind being Jean-Marc Vallee's C.R.A.Z.Y, and even that was deserving of so much more attention than it was given. Other films, though given a release here albeit minor, just fall into obscurity with no real explanation as to why. If the French language films of Jean-Pierre Jeunet can get recognized and earn a following here, than there is no reason a film like Jean-Claude Lauzon's Leolo should practically go unnoticed. Me thinks it is more of a business/political issue than anything. Luckily we have companies like Criterion that are capable of bringing these films back, so to speak, much like they did for Mon Oncle Antoine which they gave a superb release to. Hopefully that sold well enough that we could maybe even get a box set of Claude Jutra films that have yet to be released here.

filmincarnate

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Thanks all for the welcoming wishes  :thumbup:

Rogmeister

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi, Justin, and welcome from me, too.  :cheers:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 03:44:52 PM »
Greetings

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
Good to see a new member, especially a friend of Antares. I'm disappointed though that my planned Hot or Not poll might not be received as well as I thought...  :whistle:  :D

It's not that we don't like them, but that is the Promethean extent of "discussion" at the BPR forum lately. That, and this...
Michael Bay

Be WARNED Jon, they're serious.  :voodoo:

No. No they're not. You're pulling my leg.  :P

Aren't you? ??? :fingerchew:

At first, it was done to see if they could get a rise out of the few individuals who like arthouse films, but then it blossomed into a true treatise on the possibilities.  :suicide:

I have to thank them though, because it finally helped me to get Filmincarnate over here.  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 01:40:56 AM »
I had to go look at that other thread too...that is truly scary.  And I think an indication that some have lost their minds.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:05 AM »
Some friends joking with each others? Most of the thread on their forum sound like that... I don't see it as a movie forum in any way since the movie discussions are quite absent, except for post telling what new crappy movie will be made soon (wich can be find easilly on imdb). It seems they had tried to start a review section but it sure don't look like it was successfull.

Don't forget that our forum started the same way and was more or less a venting place when DVDP was in legal trouble in 2007 and not a serious1 movie forum.

1. But are we serious :hmmmm:

filmincarnate

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »
Not going to lie, I still love BPR dearly. A lot of that group, including I, have been together since the Guzzlefish days (for those who still remember Guzzlefish  :laugh:). There's a lot of bullshit on there and it is hard to take much of it seriously but it is as close knit an online community as I have ever been a part of.

That said, I really need a place to discuss film and with those who truly care about it. Seems like there is a good deal of that around here  :thumbup:

filmincarnate

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 05:07:31 AM »
Oh, and for those of you who thought that Michael Bay thread was bad, I direct your attention HERE  :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
Oh my.  I'm not sure what to say.

Nothing wrong with friends joking together..I do that on another board too.  We get downright goofy sometimes.  But the Michael Bay thread was scary.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
Welcome!

And where's that Hanna Montana thread I heard about?  And if that's off limits, what about iCarly? :stars: