Author Topic: New Here  (Read 4777 times)

filmincarnate

New Here
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:41:51 AM »
Hello all,

This is my first time posting here, figured this would be as good a place as any.

My name is Justin, I am from New Hampshire. I am a senior, graduating in May with a BA in Critical Film Studies and planning a career in film restoration/preservation. I am also a projectionist and have been for about five years now and am currently the president of our film society here at my college, which allows me to program theatrical runs each semester. (If interested you can see what I have booked for the next couple months here: http://www.keene.edu/putnam/films.cfm)

I am an avid collector of films on DVD and blu-ray, and even the occasional VHS. I would like to start collecting film prints, primarily 16mm, in the near future.

My main eras/movements/genres of film interest are: 60s and 70s American exploitation, French New Wave, Korean and Japanese cinema (mostly from the 70s but am pretty fond of the work of both countries through various decades), Giallo films and 60s and 70s horror (although I have a love/hate relationship with a lot from the 80s and 90s).

I've been looking for a good forum to discuss both film (history, criticism, theory) as well as collecting across various formats. Hopefully I have found the place  ;D

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:51:34 AM »
I've been looking for a good forum to discuss both film (history, criticism, theory) as well as collecting across various formats. Hopefully I have found the place  ;D

You have my friend...you have!  :dance:

But you won't find any Hot or Not polls.  :whistle:

My name is Justin, I am from New Hampshire.
I've known you for almost five years now, and never knew your name.  :bag:

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »
Welcome!

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:03:53 AM »
Good to see a new member, especially a friend of Antares. I'm disappointed though that my planned Hot or Not poll might not be received as well as I thought...  :whistle:  :D

Critter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:22:47 AM »
That's a shame, I've been looking forward to a few hot or not polls.

Welcome aboard Justin!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:36:53 AM »
A warm welcome from me too!

filmincarnate

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
 :thanks:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:47 AM »
Hi.  Welcome to the board. :)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:01:36 AM »
Good to see a new member, especially a friend of Antares. I'm disappointed though that my planned Hot or Not poll might not be received as well as I thought...  :whistle:  :D

It's not that we don't like them, but that is the Promethean extent of "discussion" at the BPR forum lately. That, and this...
Michael Bay

Be WARNED Jon, they're serious.  :voodoo:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:41:15 AM »
Welcome Justin!

Glad to see someone new who seems to share my love sixties and seventies exploitations also.

You have even program a French Canadian movie at your college cinema wich compensate for Cruel Intentions.

Halo2

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
Welcome from me as well.

filmincarnate

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »
Welcome Justin!

Glad to see someone new who seems to share my love sixties and seventies exploitations also.

You have even program a French Canadian movie at your college cinema wich compensate for Cruel Intentions.

Cruel Intentions is a midnight movie and as such it more than fits the bill. The only really odd thing about playing that is that it is playing on the same day we are screening The Times of Harvey Milk with Cleve Jones in attendance. Talk about awkward planning on our part  :-[

I took a class on Quebecois cinema a couple years ago and loved it. I found myself very surprised at how distinct and of quality the films were yet they get little to no recognition here in the states. As such, we try to play whatever we can get our hands on, which sadly is not much as many of the films released there seem to go either without American distribution or remain only available in French with no English subtitle track.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:51 AM »
Welcome Justin! Hope you'll like it here.

So the Hot or Not polls are banned now...? Can we still do the Hannah Montana appreciation thread?

snowcat

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
Welcome Justin :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
I took a class on Quebecois cinema a couple years ago and loved it. I found myself very surprised at how distinct and of quality the films were yet they get little to no recognition here in the states.
Sadly they don't had a great recognition in the english parts of our country also. The cinema industry here doesn't really had a choice to be distinct to compete with the US industry and we have succeed quite well in this contrary to the english canada. But the industry tend to release more and more crap because Telefilm Canada now is very selective and finance mostly blockbuster movies, so our originality is on its dying way. Just sad for a little "country" who had made such greatness as Maria Chapdeleine, Les Ordres, La mort d'un bûcheron, un zoo la nuit, Le viol d'une jeune fille douce, Valerie, Gina, On est au coton, Octobre, Le Party, ... And some more known in the english spoken world like Happy Birthday to me, Shivers, Rabid, Cannibal Girls, Ilsa She-Wolf of the SS, Death Weekend,...