Author Topic: Shipping confusion at Amazon.COM  (Read 8603 times)

snowcat

Shipping confusion at Amazon.COM
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
Ok so, I was surfing around Amazon.com (which is not my local Amazon) and I found a couple of DVD's that I wanted

firstly, one of them could not be sent to England due to copyrights etc :/ fair enough

So for the second one I checked the postage to europe and it said 3.99.... so I added the item to my basket and tried to pay and it said I owed them £8.40 postage  :redcard: What happened?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Shipping confusion at Amazon.COM
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
Amazon.com's base price for a package is $3.99. And then for each DVD an extra $2.49 when sent to Europe.

It's the same with Amazon.co.uk where it's £1.49 / £0.39 to Germany
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
:S but surely that would only be about £5? they have added £8 of postage on

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
:S but surely that would only be about £5? they have added £8 of postage on

You pay the 2.49 per DVD. 8.40 pound are about 13.17 dollars. Excluding the 3.99 base 9.18 remain. That means you either bought 4 DVDs or maybe a book? Take a look at the link in my first reply...

Or did you order via MarketPlace?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
Items:    GBP 2.85
Shipping & Handling:    GBP 8.17

Total Before Tax:    GBP 11.02
Estimated Tax:*    GBP 0.00

Order Total: GBP 11.02

:S maybe its wrong on there end? Ill remove the item and try again

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
If you could name the title I could take a look
Karsten

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
:S I took it out of the basket and retried with another item and this time it seem to have come up with correct postage...

The Office Season 4
Items:    GBP 11.29
Shipping & Handling:    GBP 4.31
Promotion Applied:    -GBP 0.00

Total Before Tax:    GBP 15.60
Estimated Tax:    GBP 0.00

...Strange :S maybe something messed up somewhere.. but it seems to be working with other DVDs... (goes back to try the other again)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:19 PM »
The thing I've found this week on Amazon since I wanted to do a pre-order Teenage Hitch-hikers that pissed me off was :

They charge their Canadian costumers money in advance for the border taxes. It can looks like a detail, but this is none of their bussiness to charge that and it's an automatic flag to the custom office to charge it entirelly (5$ + 13% of the purchase value). Anyway it was enough for me to not made the order and try at DiabolikDVD in april.

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
Jimmy, when I went back on to the payment screen again with the first item I got a similar message about taxes... maybe thats what the extra £4 was :S ... I think that's a little steep.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
Jimmy, when I went back on to the payment screen again with the first item I got a similar message about taxes... maybe thats what the extra £4 was :S ... I think that's a little steep.

Cannot be. You live in the EU and as long as the item values don't exceed 22€ (about 19 pounds) you don't have to pay customs. And Amazon has never charged me with custom fees even when I exceeded the limit - this is the task of the german custom authorities.
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »
Exactly if I would want to pay the taxes I would order more than one dvd at the time (considering the shipping prize they charge). They aren't the Canadian governement and they have no right to charge this at all. Usually a package who is just a little over the limit pass anyway by doing this we the costumer are sure to be hit for every package over 20$ (even by 1 penny) by a surchage for a 20.01$ order of 7.60$. Sorry but paying almost 50% more for an order isn't my cup of tea at all and the stupidest bussiness practice I've ever seen.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Amazon has never charged me with custom fees even when I exceeded the limit - this is the task of the german custom authorities.
This is new Karsten, as you can see in the picture they don't charge the total but because they do this we are sure the custom will charge us for every package over the 20 $CAN limit.

By the way the amount is just 1.02 $CAN over the limit, the custom office let pass this usually without charging but now it will be automatic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:36:56 PM by Jimmy »

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
...  :bag: It seems the item is coming from an external seller...

:S even though it says the item is actually from Amazon... when its put into the basket it says its from somewhere else... *shrugs* oh well... back to play.com

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
...  :bag: It seems the item is coming from an external seller...

:S even though it says the item is actually from Amazon... when its put into the basket it says its from somewhere else... *shrugs* oh well... back to play.com

As I said, MarketPlace. ;)
Karsten

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
Yeah... the weird thing is :S its one of those small print (dispatched from whoever) ones :S how annoying!