Author Topic: Blu-ray Upgrade List  (Read 24309 times)

Critter

Re: Blu-ray Upgrade List
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 07:51:53 AM »
I've always been impressed with the look of Sully's hair - in fact I've mentioned it in many computer animated movie reviews..that has been my high point I guess you could say since I saw the movie in the theater originally.  Now it is so amazing..and I noticed a few other monsters with similar hair in the background every so often. 

In one of the Pixar books that I have I read that Sully had 2.3 million strands of hair which were animated induvidually. Becuase of this it could take the up to 12 hours to render one frame of him, and with up to 24 frames per second... well, you can appreciate all the work put in when you learn details like that.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
I'm sure it is just a matter of time before I get the other Pixar movies on Blu-ray.  I already have Up in that format.
I had all of them on DVD, Ratatouille being the last one. Then I bought Wall-E on Blu and decided I need all others on Blu as well, especially since great care seems to be taken to these releases (obviously it helps that the source is digital...). I got Up together with Cars and Monsters, Inc. together with a substantial discount at Amazon. Now I am about to order A Bug's Life, Ratatouille and the Toy Story films. Only ones still awaiting release are The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
I got Monster's Inc on Blu-ray earlier this week..my first double dip. 

Holy crap does it look freaking awesome.  Well worth getting on Blu-ray.  I've always been impressed with the look of Sully's hair - in fact I've mentioned it in many computer animated movie reviews..that has been my high point I guess you could say since I saw the movie in the theater originally.  Now it is so amazing..and I noticed a few other monsters with similar hair in the background every so often.  I also noticed all sorts of other little details..like the grain in the wood furniture..that I never noticed before.  it is amazing.  Blu-ray really shows off how wonderful Pixar animation is. 

I'm sure it is just a matter of time before I get the other Pixar movies on Blu-ray.  I already have Up in that format.

:thumbup: It's the colour too. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I had all of them on DVD, Ratatouille being the last one. Then I bought Wall-E on Blu and decided I need all others on Blu as well, especially since great care seems to be taken to these releases (obviously it helps that the source is digital...). I got Up together with Cars and Monsters, Inc. together with a substantial discount at Amazon. Now I am about to order A Bug's Life, Ratatouille and the Toy Story films. Only ones still awaiting release are The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

I have the Toy Story films and even the first one looks incredible, though it has dated a little. The animation not being quite so sophisticated means there isn't so much as a contrast between the toy characters and the organic ones. Sid's dog is especially clumsy. The sequel though is a step-up.

Actually on the disc there are little clips with background stories. I didn't realise Toy Story 2 was pretty much a rush job and they almost lost it. It was stored on Linux and someone accidentally deleted the whole lot with a mistyped "rm" command. They tried to restore but the backup was bad! Luckily one of the staff just happened to have all the data so far on her home computer.  :stars:

Apparently they transported her PC to Pixar in a car stuffed with blankets and driven very slowly! Can you imagine how devastating that would have been?  :slaphead:

Critter

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
So I was speaking to my Mum tonight. She generally disagrees with my DVD Collecting altogether, and thinks I already have too many despite having tiny collections compared to all of you but I convinced her that I need to upgrade my PIXAR films to blu-ray. The thought of buying DVD's that I already have again is something that she would usually find insane but when I said it was Pixar one she understood. That could be perhaps becuase of the stacks of Pixar books I have in my room... or the Pixar posters on my wall haha. Anyway the ones I want to upgrade, which I already have are WALL-E, Monsters Inc, Ratatouille... and then perhaps Finding Nemo and The Incredibles, but I'm not even sure if those are on blu yet. I'm excited to watch them in blu, I don't think I will be getting them for a while yet though.

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Try and sell your DVDs now and get a few quid (what's the slang for $?) back. That'll convince her.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
what's the slang for $?

Bucks. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
Oh, even Aussies?  :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »

In one of the Pixar books that I have I read that Sully had 2.3 million strands of hair which were animated induvidually. Becuase of this it could take the up to 12 hours to render one frame of him, and with up to 24 frames per second... well, you can appreciate all the work put in when you learn details like that.

I knew there were a lot of strands of hair for Sully, but I didn't know exactly how many. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 07:52:36 PM »

I have the Toy Story films and even the first one looks incredible, though it has dated a little. The animation not being quite so sophisticated means there isn't so much as a contrast between the toy characters and the organic ones. Sid's dog is especially clumsy. The sequel though is a step-up.

Actually on the disc there are little clips with background stories. I didn't realise Toy Story 2 was pretty much a rush job and they almost lost it. It was stored on Linux and someone accidentally deleted the whole lot with a mistyped "rm" command. They tried to restore but the backup was bad! Luckily one of the staff just happened to have all the data so far on her home computer.  :stars:

Apparently they transported her PC to Pixar in a car stuffed with blankets and driven very slowly! Can you imagine how devastating that would have been?  :slaphead:

My DVD versions of Toy Story and A Bug's Life have basically no extras.  They were in a set that I got just before Monster's Inc came out.  I've been thinking about getting Toy Story and Toy Story 2 but I haven't yet...I'm sure I will now.  And Bug's Life. 

I hadn't heard that about them almost losing Toy Story 2.  That would have been awful.

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
Here's an interesting twist on an essential upgrade. I've just got Saving Private Ryan and Blu-Ray has given it more depth by revealing the film faults, in the truest sense of the word.

Spielberg used different film stocks and ramped up the frame rate, so I've always appreciated its rich details and muted colour. But only now in Blu-Ray can I truly appreciate that detail and the contrast in colour, plus the grain and lense flares now that just wasn't there before. I know it sounds daft, but it just feels so raw and shows the advantage of his resisting digital film for so long.

Bloody marvellous, not to mention the sound. :thumbup:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
Here's an interesting twist on an essential upgrade. I've just got Saving Private Ryan and Blu-Ray has given it more depth by revealing the film faults, in the truest sense of the word.

Jon,
Are you aware of the audio sync problems with this - details here blu-ray.com. I haven't had a chance to check my copy yet but got an e-mail from amazon UK detailing how to obtain a replacement.

Oh and by the way after Machine Girl comes....

Robo Geisha

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 12:11:57 AM »
I'm really thinking about getting North by Northwest on Blu.  I know that was brought up here when it was released and a link to a review was posted - maybe by Jon.  Since then I've seen other reviews that say how great it is.

Did you get that one Jon?  I can't remember now.  I know you were involved in talking about it before though.

Critter

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 02:26:46 AM »
Oh, even Aussies?  :-[

Yes for us it is bucks. I've never tried to sell anything online before. I wouldn't be sure how to go about it. And I'm not sure if any of my friends would want to buy them off me.

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 03:35:28 AM »
Are you aware of the audio sync problems with this - details here blu-ray.com. I haven't had a chance to check my copy yet but got an e-mail from amazon UK detailing how to obtain a replacement.

I actually noticed the drop-out, but it was rather brief, and I thought acceptable. I did then read about the call back, so I'll have words with the shop next week.

And there is no way I would ever subject myself to Robo Geisha! Love the ripped off Live and Let Die theme though.  :hysterical:

I'm really thinking about getting North by Northwest on Blu.  I know that was brought up here when it was released and a link to a review was posted - maybe by Jon.  Since then I've seen other reviews that say how great it is.

Did you get that one Jon?  I can't remember now.  I know you were involved in talking about it before though.

Yes, it was an astonishing transfer. Looked brand new, not 50 years old. I know it was Achim who twisted my arm :P but I can't find where I mentioned how good it was once I bought it. Anyway, stick it on your list. Not to be missed! ;D

Yes for us it is bucks. I've never tried to sell anything online before. I wouldn't be sure how to go about it. And I'm not sure if any of my friends would want to buy them off me.

We can trade them in at shops too. Might be worth considering.

Critter

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 04:04:07 AM »
We can trade them in at shops too. Might be worth considering.

I am vary wary when it comes to trading in things at shops, I have done it once before and they seemed to go out of their way to give me the smallest amount of money back possible. I once traded 11 PS2 games into a game store and only got 20 dollars in return. That was hundreds of dollars spent over the years, then I handed them all over for just a mere 20 bucks. It almost didn't even seem worth trading them in after that. I have a feeling a similar thing could happen with DVD's not that blu-ray is out. If I was trading in PS3 games I would have probably got a better price, but since they were PS2 I got a terrible price. Probably same thing with DVD and Blu-ray.