Author Topic: Blu-ray Upgrade List  (Read 24311 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Blu-ray Upgrade List
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
What movies did you buy / have you planned to buy on Blu-ray, even though you already own(ed) the DVD?

For me it's the movies that represent a great visual feat. Movies that hopefully will look even more impressive than they already do. But even though the movie has to be a favourite of mine. For example, I don't see myself buying Transformers again. It's a nice popcorn movie but not something I'd watch on a regular basis.

I already replaced:
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Independence Day
Gladiator

I plan on replacing:
Bravheart
Last Samurai
Waterworld
The Lord of the Rings
Star Wars 4-6
Kill Bill 1-2
The Patriot
A Knight's Tale
The Matrix
Pirates of the Carribean
Terminator 1-2
Back to the Future 1-3
X-Men 1-2
Spiderman 1-2
Dragonheart

Maybe:
Bourne 1-3
Die Hard 1-4
Termiantor 3
Indiana Jones 3
X-Men 3
Spider-Man 3
Dune
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: Blu-ray Upgrade List
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
I've replaced far more than I intended too. Of that list, the T2 Skynet Edition is an absolute must and apparently X-Men 2 is brilliant as well (mine hasn't arrived, but I think you can still get it at SendIt.com for £4.85-ish). Rich has already reviewed The Patriot and that sounds great too. I notice you haven't listed Iron Man, which I remember you weren't blown away by, but just so you're aware... on Blu? Gorgeous. :P

Spider-Man 3 is so good it's demo material apparently, but no-bloody-way will I part with money for that turd of a film... :-X

Touti

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
I'm a Bourne fan but I don't think I will replace them with Blu-Ray.  These movies are shot with very close and moving cameras which most of the time prevents us from seeing anything........personally I really don't see a benefit in Blu-Raying them.

So far I've upgraded.

Amadeus
Backdraft (HD-DVD)
Braveheart
The Patriot
Master and Commander
The Last Samurai (HD-DVD)
The Silence of the Lambs
Twister (Big disappointment.........don't waste your money)
U-571

I want to upgrade
Gladiator
Mutiny on the Bounty (The Brando one)
Troy

And those I no longer own but must have in Blu-Ray
The Lord of Rings Trilogy

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »
I am still standing strong on my intention to not replace anything with Blu-ray yet. But I am often tempted to replace some of them and probably will someday if the price is right.
Movies like:
Spider-Man 1+2
Superman Returns
The Matrix

Maybe:
Back to the Future Trilogy

and some others where I am not happy with the picture quality.

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »
I own just two Blu-ray (and no player  :-[)

Both are upgrades from DVDs I own

Step Brother
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »
Oh, Emma, you really should get a proper Blu-Ray film!  :P I'm finding age of the film doesn't matter, it's absolutely down to style and comedies like those just don't have anything to stand out. Dramas are worth considering depending on how they were photographed, so for instance I have No Country For Old Men which is breathtaking. Like Eric, I'm not sure Bourne would benefit a huge amount.

And those I no longer own but must have in Blu-Ray
The Lord of Rings Trilogy

Announced for this year, but not the extended versions, which I think is disgusting. They know damn well the fanboys are clammering for Blu-Rays and they can get away with charging them twice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:59:03 PM by Jon »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
They know damn well the fanboys are clammering for Blu-Rays and they can get away with charging them twice.

Not me. To use a quote: I'm too old for this shit.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Haha, let me explain  :tease:

My brother bought a Playstation 3 a while back, and I was more excited then he was about Blu-Ray so I took him to Blockbusters and the only Blu-Ray they had (to buy) were 3 for £18 the only films they had were Lakeview Terrace, Step Brothers, Walk Hard, Zack and Miri (which I wanted but did not have my ID with me) and another film I don't remember but It started a flurry of actors I did not like :p

..so My brother bought Lakeview and I got the other two... you see, the version of Walk Hard is extended unlike my DVD... I love Walk Hard far too much (Pokes picture)

and even though you don't like it Jon ;P I really like Step Brothers.... and It was also the only other film I could get.

....Of course, until Blu-rays are uhh £2-£3 ;P I will not be splashing out on them like I have on DVD's the last few months

Touti

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
Agreed on LOTR.  I just wonder how long it's gonna be before they release the extended versions.  Studios really disgust me sometimes.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
They know damn well the fanboys are clammering for Blu-Rays and they can get away with charging them twice.

Not me. To use a quote: I'm too old for this shit.
:laugh: Me neither, but then I didn't even get the standard DVDs because they announced the extended so quickly. Perhaps if everyone did that, they'd learn.

Actually they wouldn't. They wouldn't even be able to release the extended ones, because they'd think the first attempt was a failure... ;)

....Of course, until Blu-rays are uhh £2-£3 ;P I will not be splashing out on them like I have on DVD's the last few months

Not far off! Cheapest I've paid was £3 in Fopp for St. Trinian's and Street Kings and thanks to Rich, I've got X-Men 2 on the way for less than a fiver. Basic Instinct was also about that much.

Actually Basic Instinct is well worth the upgrade. They've done a really good transfer. And I never noticed before how neatly trimmed Sharon Stone was...  :devil:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »
Actually Basic Instinct is well worth the upgrade. They've done a really good transfer. And I never noticed before how neatly trimmed Sharon Stone was...  :devil:

This scene is the only reason anyone knows this movie at all.  :tease:
Karsten

snowcat

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »

Not far off! Cheapest I've paid was £3 in Fopp for St. Trinian's and Street Kings and thanks to Rich, I've got X-Men 2 on the way for less than a fiver. Basic Instinct was also about that much.

:D Now If only I had a Blu Ray player!

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »

This scene is the only reason anyone knows this movie at all.  :tease:

True, but actually a shame. Pretty good modern noir. I being serious! :tomato:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
I've heard that Serenity is amazing on Blu-ray...so I'll probably get that at some point.

There are new Ultimate Versions of the first 2 Harry Potter movies out..the rest will follow at some point.  I'll probably get those on Blu-ray.  Just not sure when.

Critter

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
For me it will probably be none. As a lot of you know I have a somewhat small DVD collection, compared to a lot of yours anyway and I can only afford to get a new DVD every now and then (blu-ray or not). For that matter I will probably only get blu-rays of films I don't already have. If I could replace them though I would love to get WALL-E and Kung Fu Panda on blu-ray purely for the awesome visuals.