Author Topic: Blu-ray Upgrade List  (Read 24310 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Blu-ray Upgrade List
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »
I have double-dipped a few films mainly in order to get the best image possible, even if the advancement was minor: That would refer to films I really like (Evil Dead 2 comes to mind). Of course, if the reviews said the quality was vastly improved those films became must-double-dips for me. Planned among these is Jaws or the early Peter Jackson films.

Then of course there is the usual suspects, like Lord of the Rings (extended only).

Most hoped for is Brazil (somebody pick this up, please...?).

Taro

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
So far, I've replaced the following DVD's with Blu-rays:

- Matrix Trilogy
- The Mummy & The Mummy Returns (didn't have the 3rd one, so I bought the 3-pack UK version on Blu-ray)
- Austin Powers Trilogy
- Alien vs Predator
- Death Note & Death Note The Last Name (Japanese live-action movies)
- Fantastic Four
- Final Fantasy The Spirits Within
- The Fifth Element
- Ghost Busters
- Independance Day
- Hulk
- Gegege no Kitarou (Japanese live-action Movie)
- Men in Black
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy
- The One
- Equilibrium (Japanese edition Blu-ray)
- Shinobi (Japanese live action movie)
- Resident Evil
- The Rock
- Speed
- Spider-Man Trilogy
- Stargate (the original movie, even double-dipped on the new Blu-ray release  :-[)
- Starship Trooper
- Terminator 1,2,3
- Underworld
- Van Helsing
- X-Men Trilogy

I mostly update movies that offer a decent upgrade in PQ or AQ, or movies I really like.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
Double dip/Upgraded
Dark Knight - came with my PS3
Independence Day - was on offer as 2 for £10

Plan on DDing
Kung Fu Hustle - Maybe. The standard dvd image is phenomenal as it is, besides I already own 2 dvd versions.
Kung Fu Hustle

Kung Fu Hustle

Serenity - Love this film, but again I already have 2 dvd editions.
Serenity
Serenity
Sin City - Well you know how it goes.
Iron Man
Aeon Flux
Ultraviolet
Fifth Elephant
Master & Commander

snowcat

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:54 PM »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:55 AM »
I'm sure I'll eventually get Serenity on Blu-ray.  I've heard it is amazing on Blu-ray..and I already have 2 versions of it as well.   :laugh:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Fifth Elephant

:p sounds interesting

Bethcya can't guess what book I've got on the go at the minute.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »
Fifth Elephant

:p sounds interesting

Bethcya can't guess what book I've got on the go at the minute.

Oh, what's it called... the new Discworld novel, I'm thinking... Unseen Academicals?

leo1963

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
I highly recommend the early Bond files.  They have been redone and look awesome.

Taro

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
I highly recommend the early Bond files.  They have been redone and look awesome.
I can second that. I bought the 007 Blu-ray box set and aside from the obvious audio upgrade to DTS-HD MA 5.1, the picture quality is great as well. They've managed to really instill new life into these (somewhat old) movies.

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:55:54 PM »
Ok, does anyone have a remedy for burnt eyeballs?

I put the Blu-Ray on for The Searchers. Only for a moment and it was long enough to wet myself at the sight of Monument Valley in hi-def, but so far as vision concerned, still ok.

Then I put Zulu on.

Oh good grief. It isn't possible for it to look that good. Even after you get past the grass, the sky, the bright red sharp uniforms with the very very shiny buttons, you have to try to stop noticing things like Michael Caine's bloody filling when he yells "Fire!"

I mean,  :o with bells on. It's that good.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 06:45:08 AM »
I am time and again amazed how this seems to workin reverse. Except for some of the newest releases, "modern day" films often look worse than the carefully restored classics! While I can't pinpoint an example like your experience with Searchers or Zulu, I know what you mean and agree.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
Ok, does anyone have a remedy for burnt eyeballs?

I put the Blu-Ray on for The Searchers. Only for a moment and it was long enough to wet myself at the sight of Monument Valley in hi-def, but so far as vision concerned, still ok.

Then I put Zulu on.

Oh good grief. It isn't possible for it to look that good. Even after you get past the grass, the sky, the bright red sharp uniforms with the very very shiny buttons, you have to try to stop noticing things like Michael Caine's bloody filling when he yells "Fire!"

I mean,  :o with bells on. It's that good.

I saw this and The Italian Job on Sky Movies HD and was blown away by the quality they both showed. A big  :cheers: and  :thumbup: to Paramount UK and Sky Movies for getting these cleaned and transferred onto HD.

Reminds me - time I ordered them - ought to be reduced in price by now ;D

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »
Actually, both stubbornly at 9.99 and refusing to be entered into anything so vulgar as a "sale" or a "bogof"! But since I had a fair bit of spare Blu-Ray spending money, it was time to upgrade. But did you have to mention The Italian Job? :slaphead:

Achim, I like to think it has something to do with old school photographers creating a product that literally stands the test of time, against modern work over-reliant on CGI. Being close to perfect actually reveals a predictable smoothness, while old-films pop with vibrancy. Even then though, compare Zulu or The Searchers with something like No Country For Old Men and the older films still have the wow factor.

I've got Casablanca on the way, which is another getting superb reviews. It's A Wonderful Life was good and only a transfer apparently. Also pre-ordered Doctor Zhivago and Where Eagles Dare. Please stand by for more over enthusiastic comments when I see how the snowy bits turn out! :laugh:

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
Actually, both stubbornly at 9.99 and refusing to be entered into anything so vulgar as a "sale" or a "bogof"! But since I had a fair bit of spare Blu-Ray spending money, it was time to upgrade. But did you have to mention The Italian Job? :slaphead:

Amazon UK got them both at £8.93 so I somehow ended up hitting the place order button. Watch them appear in a sale next week.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »
I got Monster's Inc on Blu-ray earlier this week..my first double dip. 

Holy crap does it look freaking awesome.  Well worth getting on Blu-ray.  I've always been impressed with the look of Sully's hair - in fact I've mentioned it in many computer animated movie reviews..that has been my high point I guess you could say since I saw the movie in the theater originally.  Now it is so amazing..and I noticed a few other monsters with similar hair in the background every so often.  I also noticed all sorts of other little details..like the grain in the wood furniture..that I never noticed before.  it is amazing.  Blu-ray really shows off how wonderful Pixar animation is. 

I'm sure it is just a matter of time before I get the other Pixar movies on Blu-ray.  I already have Up in that format.