Author Topic: DVD Profiler Help  (Read 24679 times)

Critter

Re: DVD Profiler Help
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
If Achim's suggestion hasn't worked, there's a quick way to check. From your PC, click 'Start' then 'Run'. Type 'cmd' and press enter. In the window that opens up type:

ipconfig /all

Lots of numbers will come up. At the bottom of the list you'll see "DNS" and two IP addresses. If they start "192." something, then the router is providing DNS and your PS3 should be getting it just the same. If it starts with any other number, then the PC is manually getting to its own server, bypassing the router.

I did this and the DNS thing started with 192.

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
If Achim's suggestion hasn't worked, there's a quick way to check. From your PC, click 'Start' then 'Run'. Type 'cmd' and press enter. In the window that opens up type:

ipconfig /all

Lots of numbers will come up. At the bottom of the list you'll see "DNS" and two IP addresses. If they start "192." something, then the router is providing DNS and your PS3 should be getting it just the same. If it starts with any other number, then the PC is manually getting to its own server, bypassing the router.

I did this and the DNS thing started with 192.

Bugger.  :bag:

To summarise then, that means your PC is getting its DNS from the router and it must be correct because your PC can get on the web properly. If your PS3 is set to DHCP, it should be getting the same settings as the PC. So that's me stumped then!  :-[

Have a good link through Mark's link. He was quite right... Google is your friend!  ;)

Critter

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help anyway Jon. I'll see what I can do with google.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:10:19 PM by Critter »

snowcat

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »
Is your PS3 not connecting to a network or the internet?

...either way, try connecting your PS3 directly into the router (via Ethernet) to verify where the error is coming from... if it works when connected by wire it could be the wireless side of the router or ps3.

Have you entered your information manually (codes etc)?
is your wireless password protected? if so are you putting the right password into the PS3?

Critter

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »
Have you entered your information manually (codes etc)?
is your wireless password protected? if so are you putting the right password into the PS3?

We entered it all manually and did it about 50 times so we know it's correct.

Is your PS3 not connecting to a network or the internet?

Either, it just isn't connecting to the wireless within the house. It can pick up our server but fails to connect every time.

snowcat

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »
Try connecting via Ethernet cable to test the connection.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
Torsade is defined as a polymorphous ventricular tachycardia in which the morphology of the QRS complexes varies from beat to beat. The ventricular rate can range from 150 beats per minute (bpm) to 250 bpm. The original report described regular variation of the morphology of the QRS vector from positive to net negative and back again. This was symbolically termed torsade de pointes, or "twisting of the point" about the isoelectric axis, because it reminded the original authors of the torsade de pointes movement in ballet. Most cases exhibit polymorphism, but the axis changes may not have regularity.

After all this computer lingo...I just wanted to illustrate what it sounds like to me.

And I wanted to read something that I actually understand! :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:50:18 PM by Kathy »

Critter

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »
Ah Kathy I have been feeling very much the same way throughout this thread. I'm reading everything about 10 times before I start to understand what it all is.

Emma isn't the thernet cable what you have to use if you don't have wireless?

snowcat

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »
Yes, the Ethernet cable plugs into the back of your PS3 and into the back of the router. its to test your connection. If you can get a connection that way then the problem is with your wireless if you cant get a connection through the Ethernet its your PS3s problem.

Critter

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
I honestly don't know how I would test that. I think we do have some ethernet cables around but my PS3 is no where near any of the computers, and if I have to connect them they wouldn't reach.

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
I can imagine how hard it is! But that's why I mentioned it before because Emma is right; its a foolproof test. All you have to do is plug it in.

Ok, how about this? Is your pc wireless? If not and the ps3 is your only wireless device, how do you know it works? ;) get another wireless device, a friends laptop, etc and see if that works on your network.

Also, the router could tell you if the ps3 is connected at all via its management page. If you still have the manual it should tell you how to get to that, but otherwise we can tell you.

snowcat

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »
...Is there no way to move them closer?

Critter

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »
I know the wireless works becuase I have used other things on it like my iPod Touch and I got the internet working on my Wii.

...Is there no way to move them closer?

Not really, if you saw some of the computer set ups in this house you would understand. There are cords everywhere! It's definatly a safety hazard but they all live together in a delicate balance.

snowcat

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
....You only need to test it... its doesn't have to be plugged in forever.

Unfortunately its the only way your going to be able to see if you can get net on it.... if you don't test it you wont be able to rule out the problem...

Critter

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 12:40:54 AM »
Hmm unfortunately to move any of our desktop computers into the TV room next to the PS3, and have them plugged in and working would take the better part of a day, and I still don't think it would be even possible for such a move to take place. Doesn't the fact that I got the Wii working wirelessly through the same system mean that I know it's not the wireless' problem?

I found this on a website and I'm going to see if I can try it when Bob gets home (aka the computer man of this house).

The ps3 does not go to the second stored DNS IP. The solution to this problem, if it happens to any of you, is to manually enter your DNS IP's, but reverse their order of importance. Once I did this, I had no problems and internet activity returned as usual.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:45:38 AM by Critter »