Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62878 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »

Batman Beyond
Terry McGinnis was just an ordinary teenager...until his father was mysteriously murdered. Suspecting foul play at his father's company Wayne/Powers Corporation, Terry meets Bruce Wayne and learns a secret identity hidden for decades. Now too old to battle injustice, Wayne is a bitter shell of his former self and refuses to help. So Terry does what any brash young kid would do: steal the Batsuit and take matters into his own hands! Vowing to avenge his father's death, Terry dons the high-tech suit - tricked out with jetpacks for flying, a supersensitive microphone for eavesdropping and even camouflage capabilities - in search of his father's assassin. Get in on the action from the explosive beginning of a new partnership between an ex-crimefighter and his apprentice in these first 13 thrilling episodes from the animated series!

Rebirth (Parts 1 & 2)
Part 1:
Bruce Wayne, the original Batman, retires due to failing health. 20 years later, Terrence "Terry" McGinnis discovers the Batman's identity after the aging Bruce Wayne helps him fight off a gang of Jokerz. After Terry's father is murdered, Terry seeks Bruce's help to avenge him.

Part 2:
Terry steals the Batsuit to pursue his father's killer, a professional bodyguard whose employer, the current CEO of Wayne-Powers, is secretly using the company's resources to develop a biological weapon.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoy the new futuristic imaging of Batman. The 2-part pilot episode was very entertaining... I found myself not wanting to stop. I could have watched a few more episodes easily. I think this series is definitely worth giving a shot.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »
Check the very first post in this thread Rich!  ;)

:bag: :-[ :bag:
oops thats embarrassing   :laugh:

:laugh: No need to be embarrassed... happens to the best of us! :)
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
I never really like Batman Beyond or Batman of the Future as it was called over here, I always found myself going back to The Adventures of Batman ;p

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »

Batman: The Animated Series
This fantastic 4-disc set packs 28 awesome adventures of the World's Greatest Detective taking down an array of criminal masterminds plus Exclusive Extras also worthy of investigation. Experience the thrills of vigilante justice as millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne and alter-ego Batman protect the streets of Gotham City from a host of villains including archnemesis The Joker, deadly-beautiful Poison Ivy and primitive Killer Croc in a fresh take on super hero storytelling. Intelligent, dramatic stories, unique characters and sharp dialog shaped this edgy TV series into an Emmy®-winning powerhouse that brought the Caped Crusader out of the dark alleys of TV history and into the present for fans of all ages.

On Leather Wings
Batman must clear his name when he investigates a horrifying bat creature terrorizing Gotham City.

My Thoughts:
Now to the original Batman... I used to watch this series all the time in the '90s.Definitely an enjoyable series (and episode). Though part of me would have preferred an origin story for the pilot episode. Or at least in the beginning of his journey. In this episode he was already well know in Gotham. But that is ok... if I remember right... they did go back and do an origin story at some point in this series.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
I never really like Batman Beyond or Batman of the Future as it was called over here, I always found myself going back to The Adventures of Batman ;p

Yeah... you aren't the first person to tell me that... but what can I say... I liked them all!  :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

Beastmaster
In an age when nature and magic ruled the world, an extraordinary legend was born... The BeastMaster!

At long last, the entire first season of the spectacular BeastMaster series comes to home video in an epic 22 episode season 1 DVD collection. Based on the works of legendary science fiction author Andre Norton, this is the saga of Dar, a legendary warrior born of the beasts and gifted with the ability to communicate with animals! Joined by the scholar Tao and a legion of animal warriors, Dar must journey through a world before time, on an epic odyssey to bring peace and justice to a land faced with incredible evil.

The Legend Continues
Dar begins his quest to rescue his love, Kyra, after the Terron warriors abduct her.

My Thoughts:
I originally seen this series when I caught a few odd episodes on syndicated TV. Unfortunately because it was a syndicated series you never really knew from one week to the next if it will be on the following week.  I was thrilled when I found the DVD releases. I finally was able to see the entire series and in order. While it is an entertaining series I wouldn't call it a favorite. It never gained the popularity of Hercules or Xena... but was worth watching. There is one familiar face in this series... a young Emilie de Raven (Roswell, Lost) had a recurring role in the first 2 seasons (I believe) of this show.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »

Bewitched
Elizabeth Montgomery stars as Samantha Stephens, a pretty, typical American housewife who just happens to be a witch in this beloved comedy classic. Included in this magical DVD collection is the Emmy® Award-winning series' entire first season – 36 episodes – that introduces one of the funniest ensemble casts in TV history: Starring Dick York as Samantha's mortal husband Darrin, Agnes Moorehead as his witch of a mother-in-law Endora, Alice Pearce as nosy neighbor Gladys Kravitz, George Tobias as her oblivious husband Abner and Marion Lorne as dotty Aunt Clara. Join them and a who's who of '60s pop icon guest stars – Adam West, Raquel Welch, Peggy Lipton and Arte Johnson– in this enchanting, charming and hysterically funny look at the suburban lifestyles of the witch and famous.

I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha
This magical 1960s series begins when Darrin and Samantha first bump into each other. They realize that they have real feelings for each other and they decide to get married. What Darrin doesn't know is that Samantha is a witch. On their honeymoon, Endora visits Samantha and tells her that she mad a big mistake marrying a mortal.

My Thoughts:
I am all the time hearing the question... which do you prefer... Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie. For me... that answer has always been Bewitched. And the good times definitely starts with the pilot episode. The pilot consists of the honeymoon and a dinner party they go to once they get back from the honeymoon. And both parts are hilarious. This is another show I watched that I really wanted to continue watching. I am so far behind on collecting this series though. As I only have the first 3 seasons.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »

Beyond Reality
Beyond Reality chronicles the unique lives of two adventuresome university professors who delve into the mysterious world of the paranormal.

Shari Belafonte stars as Laura Wingate, a parapsychologist who has traveled the world studying different cultures, religions and strange occurances. As the open-minded, witty and outspoken head of a private university's Parapsychology Department, Laura devotes her time to teaching but is constantly distracted investigating paranormal events.

Carl Marotte plays J.J. Stillman, a clinical psychologist who has been trained in the traditional sciences. He is inquisitive, responsible and often overly analytical.

Together, Laura and J.J. apply their combined expertise, curiosity and compassion to investigate the fascinating, extraordinary, but completely plausible world of the paranormal.

Mirror, Mirror
A student that has a crush on J.J crosses into a parallel dimension where she can make her destiny come true.

My Thoughts:
This is a series that I caught a few episodes of before I bought the DVDs. It is a good series well before similar series such as The X-Files. Unfortunately on the first season (of 2) is out on DVD. I still hope to see the second come out. Also unfortunately the episodes are not in order on the disc... as the pilot episode is listed as the second episode. Though the way they are made you wouldn't know the difference. This first episode has Nicole de Boer (I loved her in The Dead Zone and Cube) as the student that had a crush on J.J. She was 21 when she made this though she looked much younger then that. And much different then she does now...as she was a little on the chubby side during this series. And she is actually credited with a nick name in this series... Nikki de Boer. She returns to the series later in this season... and through the second season in another role as Celia who helps Laura and J.J. on their quest.

I enjoyed this series quite a bit. If you want to check it out... it is released from Mills Creek and is discontinued but you can get it at the Amazon Marketplace starting at $9.00

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:38 PM »

The Big Bang Theory
Physicists Leonard and Sheldon understand everything from the inescapable gravitational pull of a black hole to the intricate structure of the atom. But take those atoms and assemble them into a woman, and their comprehension comes to a grinding halt. And when Penny, a woman will all those atoms in all the right places, moves in aross the hall, Leonard and Sheldon's universe begins to expand in ways they could never have imaged.

When series creators Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men) and Bill Prady (Dharma & Greg) combine equal parts science, superheroes and sex and add stars Johnny Galecki (Roseanne) and Jim Parsons (Judging Amy), the result is an explosively funny comedy for the nerd in all of us.

Pilot
Brain doesn't have much of a chance against brawn when Leonard and Sheldon try to retrieve Penny's TV from her muscle-bound ex.

My Thoughts:
I am sure it is no surprise to anyone here... but I find this to be an absolutely hilarious show. I think the entire cast is great in this series. And Kaley Couco is absolutely lovely as the gorgeous neighbor. I have watched this multiple times since it originally aired... and it just does not get old. It is also a favorite of Brittany's and she just watched this pilot episode with me... we were both literally laughing out loud through-out the entire episode.

My Rating:
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 12:08:56 AM »
I love the Big Bang theory, but its one of many shows where I imagine the cast is completely different in real life, for example when I watch Friends, I imagine the characters to be like that in real life.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

Bionic Woman (2007)
Join one of TV's most stunning breakout heroines as the action-packed series Bionic Woman leaps into DVD! From executive producer David Eick (Battlestar Galactica) comes this gripping re-imagining of the universally beloved character.

Jamie Sommers is a hard-working woman struggling to take care of her younger sister. But after a serious, life-threatening accident, Jamie is saved by a top-secret procedure that makes her much more than just an ordinary woman...it makes her superhumanly bionic. Starring hot newcomer Michelle Ryan, as well as Miguel Ferrer (Crossing Jordan), Molly Price (Third Watch), Will Yun Lee (Witchblade), Lucy Kate Hale (How I Met Your Mother), and guest stars Isaiah Washington (Grey's Anatomy) and Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica), it's a non-stop thrill ride unlike anything you've seen before!

My Thoughts:
As much as  enjoyed the original Bionic Woman series... I am very impressed with the pilot episode. There was lots of action and some really great effects. I really like how in this series Jaime Sommers has a sister. I thought the car crash that Jaime and her boyfriend was in (the reason Jaime became bionic) was well done... the effects of Jamie having the operation and recovering from the operation was cool... and thought the fight in the rain with the "first" Bionic Woman was great. A very well done pilot in my opinion.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:38 AM »

Birds of Prey
Who will stand up to villains now that a heartbroken Dark Knight has mysteriously vanished? Never fear, New Gothamites, a trio of champions is ready to take wing - and Helena, the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, is among them. She calls herself Huntress and crime is her prey. Teenaged Dinah is the youngest of the group, learning as she goes and gifted in clairvoyance. And overseeing the awesome threesome's high-tech nerve center is Batgirl. Left wheelchair-bound by The Joker, she has reinvented herself as Oracle, the team’s cyber expert. Huntress, Dinah, Oracle: They are the Birds of Prey. Fighting together. Living together. And soaring into adventure together in 13 breathtaking live-action episodes.

Pilot
Birds take wing. Oracle, Huntress an Dinah work as one against Quinn's New Gotham power grab.

My Thoughts:
Even though I definitely enjoyed it... the pilot episode was not quite as good as I remember it being. In this episode Oracle and Huntress first meet Dinah... and take her in after she helps them with the case they are working on. It has someone preying on people's fears similar to the way the Batman villain "The Scarecrow" did... minus the costume and such. We also hear the story on how Oracle and Huntress gets together... and what happened to Batman. So that really is a lot of information to put into an hour long pilot episode.

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:25 AM »
Ironically enough, earlier today I happened to look up the Birds of Prey set at Amazon.com to see if it had come down in price again and it's nearly about what it's been...around $27 or so, if I recall correctly.  I'm waiting for that magical $20 price sticker to appear  ;D

snowcat

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
I never watched this series, but I quite liked the comics! I may have to take a look sometime. Would you recommend the series Pete?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
I would say definitely yes... BUT... I never read the comics so I do not know if it stays true to the comics. If that is important to you, you may want to find that out somehow first. Maybe see if you can find the pilot episode online first or something.
Pete