Author Topic: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!  (Read 25421 times)

lyonsden5

Re: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
I'm off and running as well. Last night I watched a movie that was not going to be included in this. It was called "Hot Rod" starring Saturday Night Live's Adam Sandburg. Going in I knew it would be pretty bad so I was not disappointed  :laugh:

ALmost at the very end Ebenezer Scrooge pops his head out of a window with a Christmas goose, so I guess this one counts!  :hysterical:

BTW - I've added a rating scale to my list. Should help me rate things properly. Suggestions are welcomed as to modifications on it (before we get too far along). Perhaps we could come up with our own DVDC Online "official" ratings so we're all on the same page?

richierich

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
ALmost at the very end Ebenezer Scrooge pops his head out of a window with a Christmas goose, so I guess this one counts!  :hysterical:

:thumbup:    :hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »

At least you had something Christmasy.

To reach 31 Christmas DVDs I really had to stretch...Little Nicky, St Nick close enough; then I added Bad Boys and Bad Girls figuring they could be counted as being naughty.  :bag:

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
 :o :hysterical: :bow:

Kathy, I love it. Maybe you could add Mean Girls?

lyonsden5

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »
That's a great way yo do it Kathy   :laugh:

Today was Boys Town (Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney). Classic Christmas movie that I've never seen. Not sure what I expected...  :-\ I enjoyed it.

Also watched Elf. This is a must for anyone who likes Christmas movies. Will Ferrell is incredible at playing Buddy. His childlike innocence is fantastic. Even if you don't like Will Ferrell movies this check this one out. Good story, good cast. You might even jerk a tear at the end (I always do  :-[ )

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 01:56:31 AM »
I never seen Elf... may have to add it to my collection before next year gets here.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »
The third movie I watched was The Polar Express.

Hey! I forgot about that one! I'll have to slip it in, it is a Xmas movie after all! :) Thanks for reminding me!

Watched Polar Express last night, gotta agree with Kathy, she sums it up well. Although you couldn't hate it, it will never be a classic Xmas viewing, and I'd be surprised if I ever watch it again

RossRoy

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
Watched Polar Express last night, gotta agree with Kathy, she sums it up well. Although you couldn't hate it, it will never be a classic Xmas viewing, and I'd be surprised if I ever watch it again

I've only seen short bits on TV the other day (when the kids get on the train at he beginning), and I had a sort of creepy feeling watching it. I read something about the "dead eyes" in this movie, could be it, but since I've not yet seen the whole movie, I wouldn't know, but something felt odd watching those 10-15 minutes of the movie.

That being said, yesterday, I finally found time to start this new marathon: I watched Hero and Guess Who. Ok, both are not exactly Christmas movie, but I don't really like Christmas movie  :bag:

Hero. Good movie, great visuals and fight scenes. I always get lost in the story though, must be the dubbing (yes, I know, I know Watch the subs! The subs! You heretic!. Overall I like the movie, but something is missing to make it truly great IMO.

Guess Who. I like that comedy. Lighthearted, fun, plenty of funny awkward moments. And Zoe Saldana?  :drooling:

lyonsden5

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2007, 04:04:22 AM »
What would a Christmas movie marathon be without Die Hard and Die Hard 2. John McClain is one of my favo(u)rite movie characters. I've seen them both more than I can count but am still entertained.  ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2007, 05:29:08 AM »
Today was Avalon.

I like that movie. It is very slow paced, showing a bleak future. But even though I like that movie, a lot, it is either pure cinematic genius that completely escapes me, or, I'm simply too dumb to understand it. Either way, the imagery is nice, the concepts are great, but the whole didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Oh and the soundtrack is awesome! Really, Kenji Kawai is a name I'll keep an eye out for.

RossRoy

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:42 AM »
Tonight was The Night Listener with Robin Williams.

I love Robin Williams, for humour of course, but even more when he's doing more serious, dramatic roles, and here, it is completely dramatic. That being said, I'm on the fence about this movie. You've got a nice cast, a great starting idea, which happens to be based on a real life event, but somewhere along the line, something went wrong. It is built like a thriller, yet failed to keep the tension going through the whole movie. The actors are fine in their roles. I really can't put my finger on what went wrong, but something wasn't right. Maybe another viewing is in order and would shed some light, but as it stands, I think The Night Listener is a good movie, that failed to deliver.

lyonsden5

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:13 PM »
A couple of oldies again today

Christmas in Connecticut (1945). Good enough. Not something that will be on the "must watch" list every year but I will certainly watch it again.

A Christmas Carol (1938). I had never seen this version. Guess what, it was just like the rest  :laugh: Looking forward to my anual viewing of the best version of "A Christmas Carol" - "Scrooged"  :hysterical: Probably will be soon.

Not sure what's up next.  :hmmmm: I'll have to see what catches my eye when I go look.

richierich

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

Not sure what's up next.  :hmmmm: I'll have to see what catches my eye when I go look.

Whats the film you have in your collection called Father Christmas? No actors or scans to give me a clue  :weep:

lyonsden5

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »
Whats the film you have in your collection called Father Christmas? No actors or scans to give me a clue  :weep:

Looks like I have a contribution to make  :laugh:

IMDB Link  It's an 25 minute animated story by Raymond Briggs, who also did "The Snowman" (which I liked). Bought them both last year for a couple of bucks at Best Buy. I do like the style of animation on them.  :thumbup:

Not sure I'll even watch it. One of those things we have on hand for when we get little visitors (nieces and/or nephews). It's a 25 minute cartoon about Santa taking a vacation so I don't see myself going out of my way to watch it.  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »
What kind of marathon will we have in January? Anything set yet?