Author Topic: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!  (Read 25427 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: December Christmas Marathon Discussion Thread HoHoHo!
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »
Monogamy?  ;)
No, that person doesn't have to be in all of the movies of the Marathon ;) You just get back with that first person yuou been with.

Kind of like being in love at high school, then going around a few years but still getting married with your high school darling.

richierich

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
Monogamy?  ;)
No, that person doesn't have to be in all of the movies of the Marathon ;) You just get back with that first person yuou been with.

Kind of like being in love at high school, then going around a few years but still getting married with your high school darling.

It's never so good second time round   :-[

richierich

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2007, 10:31:04 AM »
Last night we turned the clocks back by watching One foot in the grave xmas specials, only fools and horses to hull and back, and finishing up with 2 Porridge xmas specials.
Class productions, and Fletcher still gets me rolling up watching Porridge   :hysterical:

Great days  ;D  :ok:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »
I recently watched:

The Love Letter
A nice TV movie. The "letters sent through time" idea was later used in The Lake House.

The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas
Horrible! Without the great duo of Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis, the Munsters have lost all their charm.

Back to the Future
One of my all-time favorite movies!

Charlie's Angels
Not bad. But I remembered it to be more fun.

lyonsden5

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
Yesterday was "Surviving Christmas" with Ben Affleck, James Gandolfini, Christina Applegate and Catherine O'Hara. It was entertaining enough. I don't expect much out of a lot of my Christmas movies. Just a laugh or two and maybe a tear or two. This is one I'll probably watch every few years is all, but will watch it again.

Also watched "Jingle all the Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sinbad. Anyone who has kids and has been on the hunt for 'this years' toy can relate with this movie, although they do take it to the extreme. Again, enjoyable enough.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2007, 04:19:34 PM »
I finally got to watch Elf for the first time. I really enjoyed this movie; Rick summed up my feelings quite well. I didn't know what to expect but I'm glad I saw it. I particularly enjoyed seeing Bob Newhart, one of my all time favorites, as Papa Elf.

Although I had seen this many many times before, I decided to watch the 1966 version of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (or should that just be How the Grinch Stole Christmas?!?). I love this movie and try to watch it every year.

I then decided I had to see Jim Carrey as the Grinch. I think Jim Carrey is wonderful; I’ve loved him since In Living Color. He might be one of my favorite comedians so of course I liked this movie.

The only problem now is I’ve had the music from these last two movies playing in my head since I watched them! “You’re a mean one Mister Grinch…” aaaggghhhhh

lyonsden5

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
The only problem now is I’ve had the music from these last two movies playing in my head since I watched them! “You’re a mean one Mister Grinch…” aaaggghhhhh

and may I say ... thanks for infecting the rest of us now  >:(

:laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »

and may I say ... thanks for infecting the rest of us now  >:(

:laugh:
I think Pete is immune in this regard  :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
 :laugh: No... believe me... it happens to me too... I just get even more aggravated then most people when it does happen! :surrender:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2007, 03:18:18 AM »
Recently, I've watched The Nightmare Before Christmas, Little Women and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

So first was Nightmare Before Christmas. Well, I'm biased on this one. It is a Tim Burton movie, and I like pretty much everything he did/will do (can't wait for Sweeney Todd!), also, it is stop motion animation, and I have a soft spot for that. The whole idea of the Halloween world, wanting to organize a Christmas event is great. Great musical numbers, rounded out by a nice story and great character design. We have a winner!

Next up, was Little Women. The actresses are good in their respective roles, with Winona Ryder as cute as ever. A classic story, well told.

This morning was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Well, where to start. I liked it, it has its charms and some genius moments. But as a whole? It didn't keep me fully interested the whole time. Was it way too high expectations? I kept hearing from people how good it is, and I had never seen it before. Do I simply not "get" British humour? I don't know, might not be my cup of tea, but then I loved The Office, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and I know I love Red Dwarf. I don't know, something didn't work, but I'll give it another view sometime, I may appreciate it more then.

RossRoy

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2007, 03:24:30 AM »
Oh, I forgot one. I also watched Kingdom of Heaven.

It is a great, epic story. The images are gorgeous, well filmed. The music is awesome, a great mix of genres. The actors were great. So what was missing? Well, for one, it was a bit long. Clocking in at 194 minutes (I watched the Director's Cut), there are times when not much is happening, and I found myself losing interest. But once it picks up, it is awesome. The fight scenes are well played. The final defense of Jerusalem at the end of the movie is great too, you believe it may actually have happened that way. The action can sometimes be brutal, but in the context of the film, it fits. All in all, a great movie.

RossRoy

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2007, 06:03:53 AM »
Tonight was Big Fish

What do you know, another Tim Burton movie. And guess what? Yes, I loved it. The film is beautiful. I won't go into too much details, as I don't want to ruin it for anybody, but suffice to say that the whoel concept of the movie is great. How everything is tied together is really wonderful. Tonight was at least the third time I saw this movie, but I remember the first time I saw it, the story unfolding before my eyes, how we keep going from reality to flashbacks of Ed Bloom's past, the story of Ed Bloom slowly being told, add to that the Tim Burton touch, and you have the main ingredients for a great movie. And this one, to me, is a homerun. An out of the ballpark homerun.

richierich

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »
A couple of oldies again today

Christmas in Connecticut (1945). Good enough. Not something that will be on the "must watch" list every year but I will certainly watch it again.

Watched the updated 1992 version with Dyan Cannon, Kris Kristofferson and Tony Curtis.  :suicide:

What a shocker, so bad it is nearly good  :hysterical: Never seen such wooden performances, and Tony Curtis looks like he has come straight from the cosmetic surgeons knife to the screen.

One to miss  :thumbdown:

lyonsden5

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:37 PM »
Listened to 10 hours of Christmas music yesterday.... does that count?  :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »
Listened to 10 hours of Christmas music yesterday.... does that count?  :bag:

Do you work or live in a shopping center? Probably what the hell look like for me  :devil: