Author Topic: Monsters vs. Aliens  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Monsters vs. Aliens
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »
I still love animated movies and I'll usually see most of them at least once.  I do tend to like the Pixar and Disney movies more than some others, but I do think that Dreamworks has been getting better.

A meteorite lands on Earth, specifically on Susan Murphy, just before her wedding.  During the ceremony. Susan starts to grow until she is 50 feet tall.  The government, lead by General W.R. Monger arrives and takes Susan away.  She ends up in a special top secret facility where monsters captured by the government are being held and her name is changed to Ginormica.  When the alien Gallaxhar starts an invasion on Earth, Monger convinces the government to send in the monsters to deal with the threat. 

This movie is in 3D in some theaters.  The theater here doesn't do that, so I saw the normal 2D version.  I think it would be entertaining to see the 3D version though.

The plot is definitely a nod to the old monster movies.  The monsters are interesting and they all have some unique abilities that they use, or try to use, in dealing with the Gallaxhar threat.  The plot isn't that complicated, but it is very entertaining.  There are things in it aimed at kids and other things aimed at adults without anything being too suggestive.  The movie isn't as silly as some other animated movies and I think adults can enjoy it just as much as children.  There are a few scenes that might scare or upset young children, but overall, it is a very family friendly movie.  The humor works well and only a few of the jokes are gross.

The animation is very well done.  I think this is the first time that Dreamworks has come close to the quality of Pixar with the animation, though what they have just managed to do - mainly with the animation of hair - is something that Pixar has been doing for years.

Overall, this is a really entertaining animated movie that deserves to be seen. 

:thumbup:

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Monsters vs. Aliens