Author Topic: How Do You Store Your Collection?  (Read 16101 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Store Your Collection?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
Due to room constraints I had to put a bunch of movies (no where near all) in binders. Just to have room for more. And I HATE doing it. Just see no way out of it at this time.

But I don't throw away the cases! They are boxed up and put into storage. In hopes that I will eventually find a better solution and be able to put the movies back into the cases where they belong.

Writing on a disc with sharpies!?!  :stars: :suicide:
Pete

Touti

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
He also writes on the discs with a sharpie.

:o

:redcard:  He should be :hang:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
Aside from geing blasphemie at least it's less dangerous than with CDs. The data layer on DVDs is between two plastic discs while the data layer is where you write on.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Boomstick98

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
He also writes on the discs with a sharpie.

:o

:redcard:  He should be :hang:

Yeah he numbers each slot in the binder and numbers the discs for each slot. He then keeps a spreadsheet of all his movies and there assigned number, so that he know which movie it is if one goes missing....... Painful! :redcard:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
One of my friends uses the binders. Hes on the road a lot so he watches a lot of movies in his truck. The binders are just easier on the road, but it kills me everytime I watch him throw away the cases.  :giljotiini: He also writes on the discs with a sharpie. I don't think I could do that either. I'm all about mint condition if possible.

Ok..I can understand why he uses binders in that situation...but to throw away the cases...   :stars:  And he writes on the DVDs??   :o I can't imagine writing on any of my DVDs.

I use to freak out when I couldn't get stickers off the cases..like price stickers from some stores...then I discovered Goo Gone, so now I don't have to drive myself nuts trying to get rid of the sticky residue.  But to write on a DVD...ummm...no.  that is not happening.

Fasteddie33

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Here is my litle collection.....Its about 550 for right now!!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »
I've had to go the way of binders the last few months and have so far filled 10 leather binders that each hold 504 discs. Wasn't keen on doing it at first but now I really like how I have got things organised.

Anything not in a keep case (snappers/digi/etc) are kept on shelves in abc order by case type as per normal.
Anything in a keep case is put in a leather binder in these steps:
Grab 2 address labels and write (for example) 001.001 (location - 1st binder, 1st entry - it's goes up to 010.504 right now) on both along with the title of the DVD. Stick the first label on the corresponding area of the leather folder and the second on a plastic A4 wallet. Then I put the disc in the leather binder and the cover in the A4 wallet. The A4 wallets with the covers are then alphabetically in 40+ 4-ring binders. The empty plastic keep case (WITHOUT the cover) then gets given to various charity shops (who take them to replace broken ones from DVD's etc they are donated) or recycled.
Then it's really easy for me to find the right discs. If I want Out of Sight, then I grab the 4 ring binder that holds the letter O, it tells me 003.143. I then grab leather binder 3 and go to space 143 where the disc is. It has MASSIVELY reduced storage space and instead of taking up the living room my entire collection is now in a walk in closet (I hate having my collection on show as it inevitbly ends in people wanting to borrow, which doesn;t bother me but I'd rather not).

Also the old, "binders scratch the discs" crap is totally untrue if you buy the high end folders and handle the discs properly. :)

Critter

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:20 PM »
Here is my litle collection.....Its about 550 for right now!!

Very nice.  :thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
The day has come, the end is nigh.

I had to begin to store my season sets in two rows behind each other.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 02:45:44 AM »
I'm getting more shelves.  I have thought for a while it would be nice to have shelves on this one wall in my room..I finally mentioned it and my step dad is doing it for me.  He's actually putting up more shelves than I had thought about, so I'll have lots more room for stuff.  I'll use a lot of them for DVDs and Blu-rays.  I think I'll put some of my paperback books on some of them..and CDs.  I have have stuffed animals that will go on some..and some collectible type things...like my cookie jar TARDIS and Sorting Hat.

He's starting working on the shelves, but it will take a little while before they are done.  I'll take some pictures once they are done and I have stuff on them.

kahless

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
The day has come, the end is nigh.

I had to begin to store my season sets in two rows behind each other.

That's what I do as well. In addition to this I started to store my blu rays in a 2nd row in front of my dvd's. I urgently need a new storage concept!  :hmmmm:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »

Karsten, how about substituting this smiley for the smiley we have now, it's much more descriptive.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »

Karsten, how about substituting this smiley for the smiley we have now, it's much more descriptive.
+1

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
My collection is still scattered around. Some are inside of a rack in the TV cabinet, some are on small shelving next to it, some are in a hanging shelf in the closet, some in a tiny rack next to my computer which focuses on DVDs I am currently going through with special effects, etc.... and a few in a box due to no idea where to put them :-\

I'm out of space, but I have no good place for large bookcases without taking something else out... plus I don't think I would like how they would look.  I have had plans (for over a year now, so it'll likely never happen) to create a unique type of shelving where the cases rest at a slight angle sitting on cylindrical dowels. The case is broken into sections, where each level has a female connection on the bottom and male connection on the top so that they can slide and secure into each other allowing me to make the shelves as tall as I want or later break them down and spread them further. It would also mean easily being able to reproduce and add more when needed.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:22 AM »
The shelves are coming along..some are done and up, but they aren't completely done yet.  I haven't started putting anything on them yet.

They aren't exactly like what I was wanting, but they will work.  They aren't the right color either..oh well.
The shelves are in my bedroom and the walls are painted a lavender/purple.  The baseboard is a very pale lavender.  That's the color I wanted the shelves.  Well my stepdad used the wrong lavender.  When I painted, I tried to do the sponge painting and it wasn't working - we didn't know how to do it correctly then.  Anyway, he painted the shelves the other color I tried to use for the sponging...that is very close to the wall color.  I even told him when I saw the paint can that it was too dark, but he didn't listen to me..and he didn't paint a test section like he said he was going to.  He just started painting shelves and by the time I saw them, it was too late.  So they are the wrong color.  I'm glad he's putting them up for me and I appreciate it...I just wish he would have listened to what I wanted instead of doing his own thing.  He does that at times.

But anyway...I'll be able to start putting stuff on the shelves soon.