Author Topic: How Do You Store Your Collection?  (Read 16025 times)

PastorErin

How Do You Store Your Collection?
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:08:07 AM »
After seeing over at IVS the monstrous DVD shelving unit someone was building I began wondering how most of us store our passion.

So I figure I'll start.

Like most of us, I started by lining my shelves with endless rows of DVD cases.  About a year ago I decided to only keep my favorites on the shelf and put the rest in zip-up storage cases.  I've got my cases numbered (Case #1, Case #2, etc...) and the slots within each case are numbered as well and I use the Location/Slot feature on DVDP to keep track of where I store them.

In recent months, that has become a pain.  I have a case with 400, a case with 256, and a case with 200.  So this past week I decided to take a new adventure in DVD storage: I ordered some hard plastic/aluminum trunks, each of which holds 510.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:53:53 PM by PastorErin »

Touti

Re: How Do You Store Your Collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
My collection is still fairly small (320) so space isn't a problem yet but I still have plenty of walls that can be used.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »
Storage is starting to be a headache. I have 10 small bookcase, attached in pairs. So, basically I have 5 "units" which hold about 240 each.

I can tell you that just my unwatched pile fills the existing shelving.

There are other walls I could put shelving on, but that would mark the point where it starts spilling into another room, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. What I may end up doing is what  PastorErin did, use DJ boxes for the minor ones, and display the special editions, boxsets and my favorite movies.

TheMovieman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
I have over 1000 DVDs stored in three different areas and in various fashions:

- Bookshelf
- Plastic Holding Bins turned on its side (to look like shelves). I have about 10 of these.
- A pre-built plastic shelving system with magazine holders to maximize storage capacity.
- 2 pre-built shelves made for holding DVDs (I can't recall what they're called, but you can get them almost anywhere)
- 2 rotating units that hold DVDs on 4 sides each (again, I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what its called).

Voltaire53

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »
Over 1000 DVDs all on wall mounted 'adjustable bracket' shelves covering one (short) wall in the spare room which I estimate will take about 1400-1500 before I need more space. There have been a few more since these pictures:

Kemper

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
shelving from lowes....

PastorErin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »
HOLY CRAP! What a pain in the neck!  You know those cases I bought? (see post #1)  I got them last night and they are beautiful.  Unfortunately, however, the 255 sleeves that come with each case have 4 pieces that need to be punched out (2 for the disc to slide into and 2 for the thumb hole).

Since I bought two cases, that a total of 2020 punch-outs I've got to do!  Actually it's 2014, since they were kind enough to punch out the top slot on the front index sleeves... bah!

I've done the first case, but I think I'll punch out the rest as I fill it up.  If you buy these cases and want to tranfer a large collection to them, be prepared for a tedium extravaganza.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
I'm a bit of a show-off and would never hide my collection in a box. What would I do with all the covers?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
Over 1000 DVDs all on wall mounted 'adjustable bracket' shelves covering one (short) wall in the spare room which I estimate will take about 1400-1500 before I need more space. There have been a few more since these pictures:

Mine is basically like the above... plus an almost filled entertainment center and an almost filled bookcase. I will be needing more shelf space soon.
Pete

Touti

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »
The picture is kind of outdated, the cd's on the top shelf have all been replaced by DVD's and I have 2 other small shelves where I keep the box sets which have also been replaced by DVD's in that shelves

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 10:10:37 PM »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

ninehours

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:14:39 AM »
Home made rack my dad and i constructed.

Some i made myself

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:22:05 PM by ninehours »

TheMovieman

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 06:49:03 AM »
I'm a bit of a show-off and would never hide my collection in a box. What would I do with all the covers?

Me too. I'd have to have a filing cabinet to store just the covers.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:42:51 PM »
The picture is kind of outdated, the cd's on the top shelf have all been replaced by DVD's and I have 2 other small shelves where I keep the box sets which have also been replaced by DVD's in that shelves

Mine can be seen here: http://www.doena-soft.de/dvds/index_en.php

Touti - I like those glass shelves, I love how they look but I know I'd hurt myself if I had them, I'm just that damned clumsy  :stars:

Deej - Looks nice, clean and uncluttered, out of curiosity, the SG1 sets are they the German local sets or from elsewhere?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
Deej - Looks nice, clean and uncluttered, out of curiosity, the SG1 sets are they the German local sets or from elsewhere?[/color]
Better late than never:

These are the german special editions, but they are expensive (90€/season). Later they released a low price edition (30€/season). But I've got only one season left and will of course buy that as a special edition.

Atlantis is a whole different matter. They want 75€/season and I am not willing to pay that much anymore. So I will look for other releases in other countries.
Karsten