Author Topic: Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread  (Read 34329 times)

Lithurge

Re: Alphabet Marathon - Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »

True, but continuing my earlier comment, do you think the stupidity, greed and bonkerishness (new word!) of the white characters is exaggerated to emphasise the level headed bravery and ingenuity of the lead black hero?  :headscratch: I feel a candidate for the discussion thread coming on!  :tease:

Missed this earlier.

I have to confess it's been a while since I watched this one, so I'm struggling to recall what the characters were like. I seem to remember the husband was a somewhat selfish individual, but can't remember what the wife and child were like.  :hmmmm: I just remember Barbara's character as she was so wet, I also remember her brothers character and he does seem somewhat childish for his age, so I would say you are more than likely right.

Have to add this to my rewatch pile now.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Alphabet Marathon
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »
Get your thinking caps on early, for films ending in J,Q,X etc  ;D
Well, X seems like a walk in the park... (can think of three, own two of those) :tease:
Q and J may indeed pose more of a problem...?

lyonsden5

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:39 PM »
'John Q.'

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »
Well, since Rick started the name calling... :devil:

xXx, Equinox and of course most of us will give The Matrix a workout...

For Q there is also Visitor Q, which some people here may own. (I own neither John Q nor Visitor Q though... :weep:)

BTW, Rick, are you too busy this month...? Your alphabet marathon seems stuck...

richierich

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2007, 05:56:50 PM »
Glad to see everyone giving next month's an early thought, I am stuck on a title in my collection ending with Z  :hmmmm:

BTW - Rumour has it Rick has unblocked Skip on the 'other' site, so he has spent all week catching up on the posts  :badidea:

Najemikon

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
Glad to see everyone giving next month's an early thought, I am stuck on a title in my collection ending with Z  :hmmmm:

BTW - Rumour has it Rick has unblocked Skip on the 'other' site, so he has spent all week catching up on the posts  :badidea:

Oh, no! Is he alright? That must have hurt.  :surrender:

Touti

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »

American Dreamz ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
For me it would be easy:
Antz
Hot Fuzz
The Wizard of Oz

Najemikon

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »
I suppose this isn't the time to suggest making it harder by losing points for watching something someone else has already listed?  :suicide:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Well I finished my mini marathon last night; Dawn of the Dead, Ichi the Killer, and Old Boy. Of the three I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead the most, then Old Boy, Ichi the Killer least of all.

The biggest disappointment for me was Ichi the Killer. The concept, empathy for Ichi, and the soundtrack were the only things going for it. The killing was unrealistic and didn't make me feel any discomfort at all. Whoever did the foley mixing was totally incompetent and totally took me out of the film. :yucky: I always watch a film in it's original language and when I'm done I watch it with any commentary afterwards. This is the first movie, ever, that I couldn't finish the director commentary; even that was bad. The worse part of all is that if I own a movie I will eventually have to watch it...and I own Ichi the prequel. Noooooooo.

Najemikon

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2007, 10:00:35 PM »
I've never seen Ichi. Everytime I hear enough good stuff to tempt, I hear something like your reaction and somehow, it feels right. So I don't bother! However, when I suggested you watch OldBoy, I didn't realise you had it all ready and waiting. So come on! What did you think? Personally I loved it, but don't mention the squid...  :yucky:

RossRoy

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2007, 10:20:14 PM »
I suppose this isn't the time to suggest making it harder by losing points for watching something someone else has already listed?  :suicide:

:bash:

Some letters will already be hard enough!

lyonsden5

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2007, 03:39:19 AM »

Don't believe everything you hear.  :-\

To be honest we've had some health issues that have hampered my movie watching time. Hoping to catch up soon  :training:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
To be honest we've had some health issues that have hampered my movie watching time.
Sorry to hear that. All the best wishes from Taiwan!

lyonsden5

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2007, 08:40:01 PM »
Got a bit of a Monkey theme going today (Ape actually.... oh wait, I'm not at the 'take every word you say literally' forum  :laugh: )

Son of Kong

Mighty Joe Young (1949 of course)

Pitch Black   

I really didn't plan it as an Ape marathon way but as I'm sitting here looking at the three dvds it just seemed to fit.  :hysterical: