Author Topic: Tru Calling: The Complete First Season  (Read 7421 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Tru Calling: The Complete First Season
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »
Here is a review of one of my favorite short lived series.

Tru Calling: The Complete First Season
Genre: Thriller
Year: 2003 - 2004
Length: 880 Minutes (20 Episodes)
Created By: Jon Harmon Feldman
Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Tru Davies
Shawn Reaves as Harrison Davies
Zach Galifianakis as Davis
A.J. Cook as Lindsay Walker Thompson
Jessica Collins as Meredith Davies
Jason Priestley as Jack Harper

Plot (Off Back of Box):
What if you had the power to change the future by reliving the past? For Tru Davies, That is the question she faces after her internship to medical school falls through and she takes a job working the graveyard shift at the city morgue. Left alone her first night on the job, she's shocked when a dead woman opens her eyes and asks for help. Tru then awakens to find herself reliving the same day all over again, except now she possesses the power to change the fate of the people wheeled into the morgue the night before - if she can find them before tragedy strikes.

Episodes:

* Pilot - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator), Dawn Parouse (Executive Producer), Eliza Dushku (Tru Davies) and Shawn Reaves (Harrison Davies).
    * Putting Out Fires
    * Brothers Keeper
    * Past Tense
    * Haunted
    * Star-Crossed - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator)
    * Morning After
    * Closure
    * Murder in the Morgue
    * Reunion
    * The Longest Day - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator), Dawn Parouse (Executive Producer), Eliza Dushku (Tru Davies) and Shawn Reaves (Harrison Davies).
    * Valentine
    * Drop Dead Gorgous
    * Daddy's Girl - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator), Eliza Dushku (Tru Davies) and Zach Galifianakis (Davis).
    * The Getaway
    * Two Pair - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator) and Jason Priestly (Jack Harper).
    * Death Becomes her
    * Rear Window
    * D.O.A.
    * Two Weddings and a Funeral - Commentary by Jon Harmon Feldmen (Creator), Eliza Dushku (Tru Davies) and Zach Galifianakis (Davis).

DVD Info:
Number of Discs: 6
Video: 1.78:1 widescreen
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital surround
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Extras:
    * Episode Commentaries on 6 episodes with creator, executive producer and cast members
    * Deleted Scenes on several episodes (with optional commentary)
    * 3 featurettes: Finding the calling, The Tru Path and Evil Comes Calling
    * Music Video: Somebody Help Me by Full Blown Roses
    * 4 DVD Previews
    * Easter Egg: Screen Test - Zach Galifianakis.... see below how to access the easter egg.

Insert the sixth disc and on the [Main Menu] select [Special Features]. On the following screen select [Featurettes] and use the directional key on your remote control to highlight the "heart rate" line on the screen. Now press [Enter] and you will see Zach Galifianakis' original audition reel.

My Thoughts:
Tru Calling is my favorite short series... I absolutely love this show! You have no idea how sad I still am that this series came to an end after just the first season! (plus 6 episodes).

The DVDs looks and sounds great. only problem I noticed on my machine was slight pauses in the episode right around where I would guess the layer change would be. Although I am sure this will not happen with all dvd players... will be according how well your player handles layer changes. I myself only have a cheap player right now.

My Favorite Episodes:

* Pilot
    * Morning After
    * The Longest Day
    * Daddy's Girl
    * Two Weddings and a Funeral

Although, I did enjoy every episode!

My Rating:
9.5 out of 10.... A Must See!
Pete

RossRoy

Re: Tru Calling: The Complete First Season
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »
Hehe I knew this was coming  ;D

And I totally agree with you. A must see show! Should've gone on much longer  >:(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
LOL... yup... I just had to do it!  ;D

And you know... I haven't seen anything of Eliza Dushku here lately... wonder if she is working on anything... would love to see her in a new series!  ;D
Pete

rp_63

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »
This was on sale at best buy recently, i did'nt pay much attention to this until i ran out of money and went home, then i was looking at everything that was on sale and wished i had picked this one up also, by the time payday came around the sale was over. Going to try and pick it up next time i find it on sale somewhere.

Rob

lyonsden5

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:40:42 AM »
This was on sale at best buy recently,[...]
Fortunately, thanks to some serious coaching, my Kids took advantage of the Best Buy sale to get this for me for fathers day  8)

I had been kicking myself for months. WalMart used to have it at their everyday price of 19.99 per season. I looked at it for months. The week I went to get it they changed their layout (and the price  :( ) $40 + per season.  >:(

I saw a few episodes when it was on TV but not many. Looking forward to watching it. Gonna start tomorrow  ;D

Boomstick98

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »
My Thoughts:
Tru Calling is my favorite short series... I absolutely love this show! You have no idea how sad I still am that this series came to an end after just the first season! (plus 6 episodes).

This series sounds really interesting, so I may pick it up. I noticed you said 1 season plus 6 episodes. This may be a dumb question, but are the other 6 episodes you spoke of in this box set or is there another set? :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
Now you can get it both ways...  season 1 and season 2 separately or buy the complete series boxset. If I remember right you don't get anything extra in the complete series set.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »
Ok, I just saw this for less than £9. Season 1 and 2. Sounds worth a punt, but -without spoilers- did they have time to end it properly, or does it even matter?

Like if X-Files was cancelled at season 3, we'd have been annoyed Mulder's sister was still missing, but for the main part they were all individual episodes anyway...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
That is one of the downfalls... and one of the reasons I am so pissed about it. They canceled it right before the Christmas episode (which is in the set)... opening up all kind of great sounding storylines... So no... there is no proper ending to the series.

But even so... you get 26 episodes of a great series. Well worth that price! Just if you do go for it... don't expect any closure what so ever.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
Thanks, Pete. Just wanted to know where I'd stand with it. Sounds like it's worth a go...  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
No problem... hope you enjoy it as much as I do!  :thumbup:
Pete

Critter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »
I used to love watching this show when it was on TV ages ago. This is really a series I need to get a copy of on DVD. I may also be an avid Eliza Dushku fan ;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
I ordered a copy from Amazon today...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »
I can't order DVDs from Amazon. They don't have the right region code for Australia which is annoying. And eBay Australia hardly has any of the DVD's I want. I've been going through every site imaginable the last few days trying to find a region 4 copy of 'The Plague Dogs' but it's like it doesn't exist. I know it does though it was released in 2003.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »
I can't order DVDs from Amazon. They don't have the right region code for Australia which is annoying. And eBay Australia hardly has any of the DVD's I want. I've been going through every site imaginable the last few days trying to find a region 4 copy of 'The Plague Dogs' but it's like it doesn't exist. I know it does though it was released in 2003.

Can't you play region 2? I've a lot of r4 and they are usually compatible without having to utilise multi-region features. They're at least both PAL.