Author Topic: That Time of Year Again: Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!  (Read 17690 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: That Time of Year Again: Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 01:21:02 AM »
     The Fly: 20th Century Fox Studio Classics (1958/United States)
Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kurt Neumann
Writing:James Clavell (Screenwriter), George Langelaan (Original Material By)
Length:94 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 4.0, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: DTS: 4.0, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, German, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
David Hedison [Al Hedison] as Andre Delambre
Patricia Owens as Helene Delambre
Vincent Price (1911) as François Delambre
Herbert Marshall as Insp. Charas
Kathleen Freeman as Emma (Delambre Maid)

Plot:
When a scientist (David [Al] Hedison) attempts to transfer matter through space, things go horrifically wrong and two grotesque man-fly hybrids are created. Now, with the head of a fly and a wing in place of one of his arms, the scientist desperately hopes that he, his wife (Patricia Owens) and his brother (Vincent Price) can capture the other mutant and reverse the experiment.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

As many of times I have watched this oneI keep forgetting it is in color, I could have sworn this film was in black and white. One of my favorite Vincent Price movies. I always liked the story and the way it was told. Vincent Price actually had a limited role on this movie... but he did an awesome job while he was on. This film was later remade. In this case I definitely much prefer this version (even though I did like the remake as well).

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 03:33:05 AM »
     Final Destination (2000/United States)
Wikipedia |Trailer |
New Line Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:James Wong (1940)
Writing:Glen Morgan (Screenwriter), James Wong (1940) (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Reddick (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Reddick (Story By)
Length:98 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Devon Sawa as Alex Browning
Ali Larter as Clear Rivers
Kerr Smith as Carter Horton
Kristen Cloke as Valerie Lewton
Daniel Roebuck as Agent Weine

Plot:
After an eerie premonition leads a handful of passengers to disembark an ill-fated flight, Death – with all its ingenious contraptions of doom at the ready – stalks those survivors (Devon Sawa, Ali Larter, Kerr Smith and more) one by one in the gory, gleeful shocker that launched the fright-filled film series.

Final Destination: the start of it all!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This is a movie I haven't watched in years... but one I have always enjoyed. It is a good, strong horror with some creative kills. I completely forgot that Tony Todd had a small role in this movie as the mortician. I always enjoyed his work in the genre. This one is well worth the time put in to watch.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
     The Ghosts of Edendale (2003/United States)
Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Stefan Avalos
Writing:Stefan Avalos (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Paula Ficara as Rachel
Stephen Wastell as Kevin
Andrew Quintero as Nolan
Keith Fulton as Julian
Louis Pepe as Alex

Plot:
From the co-creator of The Last Broadcast comes a haunting supernatural thriller. Kevin and Rachel move to Los Angeles to follow their dream -- making it in the movies. They can’t believe their luck when they find the perfect house on a hill called Edendale – right next door to Hollywood. Here, all the neighbors are in "the business," and they have high hopes for Kevin and Rachel.

But Rachel's dreams soon turn to horrifying nightmares. First, there's something hiding in the closet, then, the awful crying in the walls, and now, Kevin is acting strange...

Terrified, Rachel thinks she must be going crazy – but could her insanity extend to the hill itself?

As the neighbors gather in anticipation of the completion of Kevin's work, Rachel must convince him to leave this place before the powerful Ghosts of Edendale reach through time to possess his very soul.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

I would say this one is OK at best... but this movie had a couple problems I couldn't get past. First of all it was a rather slow movie. So much so that I actually felt like I was forcing myself to keep watching. Another problem I had with this one is that I just couldn't get myself to care about any of the characters. When you combine slow with characters you don't care about it is really hard to enjoy the movie. On the good side (yes there is a good side) they did have a couple of interesting ghost appearances. a couple of ideas of seeing ghosts that I haven't seen in any other movie. And for the most part the ghosts looked good. Unfortunately that just wasn't enough to save this movie from being any more then just OK.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
     Stephen King's Silver Bullet: Widescreen Collection (1985/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount Home Video (United States)
Director:Daniel Attias
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Stephen King (1947) (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Gary Busey as Uncle Red
Everett McGill as Reverend Lowe
Corey Haim as Marty Coslaw
Megan Follows as Jane Coslaw
Robin Groves as Nan Coslaw

Plot:
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time Oscar® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I absolutely love the supped up wheel chair... The Silver Bullet! I really enjoyed the scene when he first got it... finding out just how fast it went. I believe Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. And I liked who the werewolf turned out to be. While it is not what I would call a gory movie... there is a scene or two that shows it's fair share of blood. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. It is definitely one of my favorite werewolf movies.If by chance you never seen this film it is one I highly recommend!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 03:51:06 AM »
     The Lost Boys (1987/United States)
Director:Joel Schumacher
Writing:Janice Fischer (Story By), James Jeremias (Story By), Janice Fischer (Screenwriter), James Jeremias (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Boam (Screenwriter)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Patric as Michael
Corey Haim as Sam
Dianne Wiest as Lucy
Barnard Hughes as Grandpa
Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann] as Max

Plot:
Sam and his older brother Michael are average, everyday teens. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Clara, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast – Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest – stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Multi-angle
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

I am sure it is partially nostalgia for me... but this is one of my favorite vampire films. It is one I have seen countless times...one that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Kiefer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
     Lost Boys: The Tribe: Uncut Version (2008/United States)
Director:P. J. Pesce
Writing:Janice Fischer (Original Characters By), James Jeremias (Original Characters By), Hans Rodionoff (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Tad Hilgenbrinck as Chris
Angus Sutherland as Shane
Autumn Reeser as Nicole
Gabrielle Rose as Aunt Jillian
Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog

Plot:
Risking everything in search of the ultimate rush is fun when you know you can't die. Angus Sutherland, taking up where brother Kiefer left off in the original cult favorite, is the lead vampire in this modern reimagining of The Lost Boys. The seaside village of Luna Bay is rife with outcasts and plagued by an outbreak of missing persons. As the sun sets, the Tribe rises: a group of adrenalin-fueled, thrill-crazed vampires tears up the surf and the streets with nonstop action. But when a champion surfer (Tad Hilgenbrinck) and his sister (Autumn Reeser) move in, dark secrets erupt into hot-blooded passions and full-blooded fear. Helping fight the forces of hell: Corey Feldman in his signature role of vampire hunter Edgar Frog. Once you join the Tribe, there's no turning back.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

While it is definitely not as good as the first one. I have grown to enjoy this one quite a bit. I do recommend this one... just don't go in expecting a film as great as the first part. This one is just a good vampire flick. One that will grow on you the more you watch it. While watching this I kept thinking the actress that plays Nicole looks so familiar to me. Guess she should... as she had a big part (a regular cast member) in the short lived TV series No Ordinary Family.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
     Lost Boys: The Thirst (2010/United States)
Director:Dario Piana
Writing:Janice Fischer (Original Material By), James Jeremias (Original Material By), Evan Charnov (Screenwriter), Hans Rodionoff (Screenwriter), Evan Charnov (Story By)
Length:81 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog
Casey B. Dolan as Zoe
Tanit Phoenix as Gwen
Jamison Newlander as Alan Frog
Seb Castang as DJ X

Plot:
As the lost boys and girls of San Cazador prepare to party under the Blood Moon, an alpha vampire conspires to turn these unsuspecting ravers into an army of undead. The only thing that stands between him and the annihilation of the entire human race is the infamous vampire fighting Frog Brothers. Armed with double-barrel holy water balloon launchers and multi-arrow crossbows, Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan Frog (Jamison Newlander) join forces to kick some bloodsucker butt in this latest high-energy, action packed adventure in the Lost Boys franchise.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Another sequel I enjoyed. I do admit by this time it is getting a bit cheesy. But still a dxcent vampire flick.I found it to be worth the time to watch it. Just don't go in expecting too much.

Rating:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:09:56 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 03:22:28 AM »
     Hotel Transylvania 3: Monster Party Edition (2018/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Genndy Tartakovsky
Writing:Genndy Tartakovsky (Writer), Michael McCullers (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Adam Sandler as Dracula (voice)
Andy Samberg as Jonathan (voice)
Selena Gomez as Mavis (voice)
Kevin James (1965) as Frankenstein (voice)
Fran Drescher as Eunice (voice)

Plot:
Mavis surprises Dracula with a family voyage on a luxury Monster Cruise Ship so he can take a vacation from providing everyone else's vacation at the hotel. The rest of Drac's Pack cannot resist going along. But once they leave port, romance arises when Dracula meets the mysterious ship captain, Ericka. Now it's Mavis' turn to play the overprotective parent, keeping her dad and Ericka apart. Little do they know that his "too good to be true" love interest is actually a descendant of Abraham Van Helsing, ancient nemesis to Dracula and all other monsters.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

Since the first film the Hotel Transylvania movies has become sort of a tradition gto watch for my October marathons. And this newest one is a nice addition to it. While I didn't find this one to be quite as good as the other two there is still a lot of fun to be found here. This one is rather predictable, And I am not a big fan on how they did the ship's crew. But I still think this one is definitely worth watching,

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »
         Ghost Stories (2017/United Kingdom)
    Wikipedia |Trailer |
    Shout! Factory (United States)
    Director:Jeremy Dyson, Andy Nyman
    Writing:Jeremy Dyson (Writer), Andy Nyman (Writer)
    Length:98 min.

Stars:
    Samuel Bottomley as Young Goodman
    Deborah Wastell as Mrs Goodman
    Amy Doyle as Esther Goodman
    Daniel Hill as Mr Goodman
    Ramzan Miah as Esther's Boyfriend

Plot:
    Experience three spine-tingling tales of terror to haunt your dreams. A debunker of all things paranormal, Professor Goodman (Andy Nyman, Black Death) has devoted his life to exposing phony psychics and fraudulent supernatural shenanigans. His skepticism is tested, however, when he receives a case file on three chilling and inexplicable incidents: a night watchman (Paul Whitehouse, Corpse Bride) haunted by disturbing visions as he patrols an abandoned asylum; an edgy young man (Alex Lawther, Freak Show) involved in a hellish car accident deep in the woods; and a wealthy former banker (Martin Freeman, Sherlock, Black Panther) visited by the spirit of his unborn child. Even more disturbing is that each of these macabre stories seems to have a sinister connection to Professor Goodman's own life. Will they make a believer of him yet?

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Feature Trailers
    • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

I originally bought this one because of the plot I read and the fact that Martin Freeman is in it. I was really hoping to like this one but it fell way short for me. I found it to be very slow and I just didn't care for any of the characters. A couple scenes made me think it would start to get better but alas not so much.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
         Amityville: The Awakening (2017/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
    Director:Franck Khalfoun
    Writing:Franck Khalfoun (Writer)
    Length:87 min.

Stars:
    Jennifer Jason Leigh as Joan
    Bella Thorne as Belle
    Mckenna Grace as Juliet
    Cameron Monaghan as James
    Thomas Mann (1991) as Terrence

Plot:
    In Amityville: The Awakening, Belle (Bella Thorne) and her family move into a new house, but when strange phenomena begin to occur in the house, Belle begins to suspect her mother isn't telling her everything. She soon realizes they just moved into the infamous Amityville house.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Featurettes
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

The amityville franchise has always been a favorite of mine. Even I admit that the films has gotten a bit tired here and there. This one while a little slow I did enjoy. I found the storyline interesting and liked the characters. I feel it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 06:06:08 PM »
         Trilogy of Terror (1975/United States)

Kino Lorber (United States)
    Director:Dan Curtis
    Writing:JulieWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), Millicent and ThereseWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), AmeliaRichard Matheson (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
    Length:72 min.
    Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:English

Stars:
    Karen Black as Julie/Millicent/Therese/Amelia
    Robert Burton (1895) as Chad Foster
    John Karlen as Thomas Amman
    George Gaynes as Dr. Chester Ramsey
    James Storm as Eddie Nells

Plot:
    Legendary producer/director Dan Curtis (The Night Stalker, The Night Strangler) teams up with renowned sci-fi/horror writers Richard Matheson (I Am Legend) and William F. Nolan (Logan's Run) to present three tales of horrific suspense in this highly rated and critically acclaimed made-for-television anthology that also showcases the tremendous acting talent of Karen Black (Burnt Offerings, The Day of the Locust), who plays four distinct roles. In Julie, an aggressive college student seduces and ultimately blackmails his seemingly shy English professor; in Millicent and Therese, two polar-opposite sisters become increasingly hell-bent on the undoing of one another; and in Amelia, a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni fetish doll. The strong supporting cast includes George Gaynes (Tootsie), John Karlen (Daughters of Darkness) and Gregory Harrison (TV's Trapper John, M.D.).

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes
    • Interviews
    • Limited Edition Booklet essay by Film critic and author Simon Abrams

My Thoughts:

This is a TV movie from back in the '70s. Remembering back to when I worked at our local video store... this movie was in great demand. Unfortunately at the time I never got to see it myself as the store's copy disappeared and none of our distributors at the time could locate a new copy for us (this is back in the VHS days). So the first time I got to see this movie was when I first got it on DVD back in 2007. This past week I upgraded to the blu-ray release. And I must say I enjoyed it very much! The first story,Julie, Karen Black plays a College Professor who gets seduced and blackmailed (as the cover says). I liked how the student didn't have as much control over things as he thought he did. An enjoyable segment... but not my favorite. The next story is Millicent and Therese where we have some sibling rivalry. This one, while I still enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the first one. So this one has to be my least favorite segment of the movie. Mainly because I found it to be very predictable. The final story, Amelia, a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni Fetish Doll. This is my favorite segment of the entire movie. It was very well done... especially for the time. And I just couldn't help but to get a kick out of that Zuni Fetish Doll. And as much as I liked that little guy... I must say the final scene is really what clinched this segment for me. I really enjoyed the blu-ray release. It brought over the few extras from the DVD as well as adding several other extras This film remains a Halloween tradition for me.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
         Happy Death Day (2017/United States)

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Christopher Landon
    Writing:Scott Lobdell (Writer)
    Length:96 min.
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
    Jessica Rothe as Tree Gelbman
    Israel Broussard as Carter Davis
    Ruby Modine as Lori Spengler
    Charles Aitken as Gregory Butler
    Laura Clifton as Stephanie Butler

Plot:
    Blumhouse (Split, Get Out, Whiplash) produces this original and inventive rewinding thriller in which a blissfully self-centered co-ed (Jessica Rothe, La La Land) is doomed to relive the day of her murder unless she can identify her masked assailant and hopefully stop the madness. If she can't, she will be stuck in an insane loop, reliving a ghoulish nightmare that has become her death day.

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This film was a pleasant surprise for me. While I have always liked time loop movies (Groundhog Day, etc.) I was a little nervous about this one going just by the trailer. After watching it I found that I liked the characters, the storyline kept my interest and last but not least they killed her off in some crative ways.I can easily see myself watching this one again.

Rating:
    Pete