Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Based on a True Story  (Read 14488 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Based on a True Story
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »
     An American Haunting: Unrated Edition (2005/United States, United Kingdom, Canada)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Lions Gate Entertainment (United States)
Director:Courtney Solomon
Writing:Courtney Solomon (Writer), Brent Monahan (Original Material By)
Length:90 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Donald Sutherland as John Bell
Sissy Spacek as Lucy Bell
James D'Arcy as Richard Powell
Rachel Hurd-Wood as Betsy Bell
Matthew Marsh as James Johnston

Plot:
Based on the true story of The Bell Witch of Tennessee, An American Haunting is the story of a spirit who brutally attacked the Bell family causing the death of one of its members. Years later, we are taken back to the most horrific of nights to find out the truth of the spirit's nature and origin...the night it was born.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

While I don't know how true this "Based on a True Story" actually is... I did enjoy this film. It has some great stars in it... speaking mainly of Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek.... though the entire cast is good. I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
     Conviction (2010/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tony Goldwyn
Writing:Pamela Gray (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Hilary Swank as Betty Anne Waters
Sam Rockwell as Kenny Waters
Thomas Mahard as Law Professor
Owen Campbell as Ben
Conor Donovan as Richard

Plot:
Two-time Academy Award winner Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell deliver unforgettable performances in this incredible true story that co-stars Minnie Driver, Juliette Lewis and Peter Gallagher. Swank plays Betty Anne Waters, a young woman whose world is shattered when her beloved brother Kenny (Rockwell) is convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison. Steadfastly convinced of his innocence, Betty Anne embarks on an 18-year journey to set Kenny free, using state-of-the-art forensic technology. The unshakable bond between a brother and sister, at the heart of this real-life drama, will stir your emotions and inspire you.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is a great story that easily kept my attention through-out. I really liked the characters... thought the cast did a great job. I had a little problem with the way they did the flashbacks...Felt a little confusing.. you have to really pay attention while watching. But the film is well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
     Hitchcock (2012/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Director:Sacha Gervasi
Writing:John J. McLaughlin (Screenwriter), Stephen Rebello (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock
Helen Mirren as Alma Reville
Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh
Danny Huston as Whitfield Cook
Toni Colette as Peggy

Plot:
Oscar® Winners Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren* are spellbinding in this provocative story about the making of one of cinema's most iconic films. Plagued by both a reckless ego and nagging self-doubt, Hollywood legend Alfred Hitchcock (Hopkins) becomes obsessed with a grisly murder story that the studios won't back. Determined, he risks his reputation, his home and even the love of his wife Alma (Mirren), as he sets out to make the film. Ultimately, Hitch wins Alma over, and the two collaborate to create an enduring masterpiece – Psycho. Also starring Scarlett Johansson, Toni Collette and Jessica Biel. Hitchcock is "a knockout from start to finish" (Rex Reed, The New York Observer).

*Hopkin: 1991, actor, The Silence of the Lambs. Mirren: 2008, Actress, The Queen.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Hitchcock being one of my favorite directors and Psycho being one of my favorite films I knew I would enjoy this one. And I definitely did. I think they did a fantastic job making Anthony Hopkins look like hitchcock. There was some slow spots but didn't really take away from the film too much. Recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
     The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Unrated Version (2005/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Scott Derrickson
Writing:Paul Harris Boardman (Writer), Scott Derrickson (Writer)
Length:122 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Other

Stars:
Laura Linney as Erin Bruner
Tom Wilkinson as Father Moore
Campbell Scott as Ethan Thomas
Jennifer Carpenter as Emily Rose
Colm Feore as Karl Gunderson

Plot:
Oscar® nominees Laura Linney (2000, Best Actress, You Can Count on Me) and Tom Wilkinson (2001, Best Actor, In the Bedroom) delve into the supernatural in this thriller based on a true story that will test your resolve and, ultimately, your faith.

Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter, White Chicks) was an average teenage girl who was the target of terrifying demonic forces that would ultimately shock a town and torment her soul. But was she, as many believed, possessed? In an attempt to clear the clergymen who exorcised Emily, a skeptical attorney (Linney) awakens to the discovery that powerful spiritual forces may actually exist. This harrowing film unfolds like a recurring nightmare form which there is no waking.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

Going into this one the only thing I remembered is that I enjoyed it the first time. It says this movie is based on true events. I would like to learn more about the actual events. this one stars Jennifer Carpenter who is the actress that plays Dexter's sister Debra on Dexter. I really liked her in this film and really liked her in Dexter. I really enjoyed the way this movie was done. I think it is a good mixture of horror and courtroom drama. It makes for an extra interesting story line. In my opinion... this movie is well worth checking out if you haven't already.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
     United 93: Full Screen (2006/United States)
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Paul Greengrass
Writing:Paul Greengrass (Writer)
Length:111 min.
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Other: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
United 93 - CrewJ. J. Johnson [JJ Johnson] as Captain Jason M. Dahl
Gary Commock as First Officer LeRoy Homer
Polly Adams as Deborah Welsh
Opal Alladin as CeeCee Lyles

Plot:
It's an event that shook the world. Honest, unflinching and profoundly moving, United 93 tells the unforgettable story of the heroic passengers and crew members who prevented the terrorists from carrying out their plans for the fourth hijacked plane on September 11, 2001. As on-ground military and civilian teams scrambled to make sense of the unfolding events, forty people who sat down as strangers found the courage to stand up as one.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

This is an interesting movie...not a movie I could say is enjoyable... but it is worth the time put in to watch it. It is a very hectic film... which is understandable considering the subject matter... but it also made it a little on the hard side to follow. I would have also liked to seen more of it taking place on the plane instead of at the control center.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
     B.T.K.: Widescreen (2009/)
IMDb |Trailer |
Lionsgate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Feifer
Writing:Michael Feifer (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Spanish

Stars:
Kane Hodder as Dennis
Amy Lyndon as Susan
Odessa Rae as Heather
Cara Sigmund as Annette
Caia Coley as Mary Ann

Plot:
Inspired by true events, this shocking new thriller is a grisley journey into the the nightmarish world of the B.T.K. Killer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I wasn't really to thrilled with this one. The story line itself was merely ok. And I found the acting stiff and wooden. Then there is the fact that I couldn't find a single character I cared about. Top all that off with low budget production value. I wanted to like this one as the story line had potential and I do like Kane Hodder. But unfortunately there was very little to enjoy in this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 06:09:23 PM »
     Amelia (2009/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Director:Mira Nair
Writing:Susan Butler (Original Material By), Mary S. Lovell (Original Material By), Ron Bass (Screenwriter), Anna Hamilton Phelan (Screenwriter)
Length:111 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Hilary Swank as Amelia Earhart
Richard Gere as George Putnam
Ewan McGregor as Gene Vidal
Christopher Eccleston as Fred Noonan
Joe Anderson (1982) as Bill Stultz

Plot:
Two-time Academy Award® Winner Hilary Swank* delivers an unforgettable performance as Amelia Earhart, the legendary American aviatrix who boldly flew into the annals of history. Richard Gere co-stars as her charismatic business partner and adoring husband, George Putnam. Bound by ambition and love, their enduring marriage could not be broken by Amelia's determination to fly — nor her passionate affair with Gene Vidal (Ewan McGregor). Equal parts gripping drama, stirring romance and epic adventure, Amelia will take your breath away and send your spirit soaring!

*2004, Actress, Million Dollar Baby; 1999, Actress, Boys Don't Cry

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

while it is a bit on the slow side... this was an interesting film. There is a lot here that I didn't know before. This one is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
     A League of Their Own (1992/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Penny Marshall
Writing:Kim Wilson (Original Material By), Kelly Candaele (Original Material By), Lowell Ganz (Screenwriter), Babaloo Mandel (Screenwriter)
Length:128 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Japanese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Tom Hanks as Jimmy Dugan
Geena Davis as C Dottie Hinson
Lori Petty as P Kit Keller
Madonna as CF Mae Mordabito
Rosie O'Donnell as 3B Doris Murphy

Plot:
Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna star in this major league comedy from the team that brought you Big. Hanks stars as Jimmy Dugan, a washed-up ballplayer whose big league days are over. Hired to coach in the All-American Girls Baseball League of 1943 – while the male pros are at war – Dugan finds himself drawn back into the game by the heart and heroics of his all-girl team. Teammates Lori Petty and Rosie O'Donnell round out this all-star roster with Jon Lovitz adding a scene-stealing cameo. Based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail for generations of athletes, A League of Their Own is "a home run!" (Joel Siegel, ABC-TV)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

This is one I have seen several times before. It is one of my favorites. A good, fun story filled with a lot of big names. If you haven't seen this one yet... I definitely recommend it.

Rating:
Pete