Author Topic: Within My Lifetime: 2017 Edition  (Read 21546 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Within My Lifetime: 2017 Edition
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
     Sister Act: 20th Anniversary Edition (1992/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Touchstone Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Emile Ardolino
Writing:Joseph Howard (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Whoopi Goldberg as Deloris
Maggie Smith as Mother Superior
Kathy Najimy as Mary Patrick
Wendy Makkena as Mary Robert
Mary Wickes as Mary Lazarus

Plot:
To commemorate the 20th anniversary of a comedy classic that packed pews everywhere, Disney proudly presents a special 2-movie collection, featuring Sister Act and Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit, for the first time ever on Blu-ray!

Academy Award® winner Whoopi Goldberg (Best Actress In A Supporting Role, Ghost 1990) stars as a sassy lounge singer forced to hide from the mob in the last place anyone would ever look for her – a convent – where her fun-loving attitude turns the nuns' tone-deaf choir into a soulful chorus of swingin' singin' sisters. In the sidesplitting sequel, Whoopi is back for another hilarious adventure as Sister Mary Clarence spreads the gift of music and the power of laughter at an inner-city school.

Harvey Keitel and Kathy Najimy join a heavenly cast in these habit-forming comedies busting with '60s Motown hits. Relive all the fun and irresistible music of both movies with a stunning state-of-the-art digital restoration!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

This is one I haven't seen since the '90s... I feel it held up well. I enjoyed it quite a bit. This one has quite a but if laughs. I am glad I finally added it to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »
     The People Under the Stairs: Collector's Edition (1991/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Shout! Factory, Scream Factory (United States)
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Wes Craven (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Brandon Adams as Fool
Everett McGill as Man
Wendy Robie as Woman
A. J. Langer [A.J. Langer] as Alice
Ving Rhames as Leroy

Plot:
Wes Craven, the director of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream, takes you on a terrifying journey inside the most demented house on the street. Trapped inside a fortified home owned by a mysterious couple, a young boy is suddenly thrust into a nightmare.

The boy quickly learns the true nature of the house's homicidal inhabitants and the secret creautres hidden deep within the house.

Starring Everett McGill (Twin Peaks, Dune), Wendy Robie (Twin Peaks), Brandon Adams (The Mighty Ducks), Ving Rhames (Piranha 3D, Mission: Impossible), A.J. Langer (Escape From L.A.) and Sean Whalen (Rob Zombie's Halloween II, Hatchet III), The People Under The Stairs will grab you when you least expect it... and never let go.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I watched this movie in quite a while. This is a bit of a weird movie, I grant you... but it is one that I enjoyed quite a bit. The couple in this movie is so over the top it isn't even funny. But it is entertaining to say the least. I really liked the kid that played the 13yr old boy nicknamed Fool that takes on this strange and sadistic couple to save his family... and then going back to save the other kids he met that the couple has trapped in the house. This is not what I would call a gory movie... but some of the things seen here is a bit on the bloody side. Not to mention things a little hard to look at... like "Daddy" in full leather fetish gear trying to hunt down Fool. Over-all it is a movie I enjoyed quite a bit. Glad I finally got around to watching it again.

This blu-ray release makes for a nice upgrade... especially considering there was no extras what so ever on the DVD release.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
     Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1969/)

Gemstone Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tulio Demicheli
Writing:Jacinto Molina [Jacinto Molina Alavarez] (Writer)
Length:77 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Trivia

Stars:
Michael Rennie as Dr. Odo Warnoff
Karin Dor as Maleva Kerstein
Craig Hill as Inspector Tobermann
Patty Shepard as Lisa
Ángel Del Pozo as Kirian

Plot:
When top scientists simultaneously die in separate automobile accidents, fiendish alien visitors invade their bodies. The aliens, using their own knowledge and the scientists intellect, devise a diabolical, world threatening plot to resurrect great monsters including Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula and The Werewolf for the building of a vicious army to conquer the human race. Suspense mounts when the conspiracy goes awry as the monsters turn their evil action against each other. Failure comes fast and furious as the alien empire explodes in total devastation bringing an end to this terrifying science fiction thriller.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

Not that I am really surprised, But this one had trouble keeping my attention. Story is lacking... I really didn't care about any of the characters... and some of the film was so dark I couldn't make out what was going on. The one thing it has going for it is that it is a short film. The quality of the DVD is lacking as well. Felt like I was watching a cheap VHS tape.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
From True Story Marathon:

1980 - Coal Miner's Daughter
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »
From the What Movies I Been Watching thread...

1975 - The Apple Dumpling Gang
Pete