Author Topic: Christmas 2016  (Read 29409 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas 2016
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
A Flintstones Christmas Carol (1994/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Joanna Romersa
Writing:Glenn Leopold (Writer), Charles Dickens (Original Material By)
Length:69 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Henry Corden as Fred Flintstone (Voice)
Jean Vander Pyl as Wilma Flintstone (Voice)
Frank Welker (1945) as Barney Rubble & Dino (Voice)
B. J. Ward as Betty Rubble (Voice)
Russi Taylor as Pebbles Flintstone (Voice)

Plot:
There's just one shopping day until Christmas! Fred is so wrapped up in his acting debut as Scrooge in the Bedrock production of A Christmas Carol that he's completely forgotten to buy any gifts. And worse, he's left baby Pebbles stranded at Cave Care Center! But wife Wilma and a few familiar ghosts perform a true Christmas miracle, helping hubby Fred remember the true meaning of the season. Join Barney, Betty, Bamm-Bamm and Dino in this hilarious, stone-age version of the magical holiday classic.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This is one I surprisingly don't remember ever seeing before. But it is a fun Christmas special. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »

The Flintstones: Season 5 Episode 15 - Christmas Flintstone
Fred is such a natural as a department store's Santa that news of him reaches the North Pole, where Kris Kringle has him in mind for much more important work on Christmas Eve.

My Thoughts:
This is a bonus episode that is on the disc with "A Flintstone Christmas Carol." I am glad they put this episode on the disc as I have not seen it in years and I enjoyed it even more then the main feature of the disc. This is an episode I can see watching every year for my Christmas marathon.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
Rise of the Guardians (2012/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment, DreamWorks Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Peter Ramsey
Writing:David Lindsay-Abaire (Screenwriter), William Joyce (Original Material By)
Length:97 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Pine as Jack Frost (Voice)
Alec Baldwin as North (Voice)
Jude Law as Pitch (Voice)
Isla Fisher as Tooth (Voice)
Hugh Jackman as Bunny (Voice)

Plot:
DreamWorks' newest animated adventure is a fun-filled and magical story about the legendary guardians – Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Sandman – together for the first time! When the evil Pitch threatens to take over the world, it's up to our beloved heroes to protect the hopes and dreams of children everywhere. Filled with non-stop action and laughs, it's a dazzling family film that's being hailed as "an instant classic. You will believe."²

2. Nancy Joy, Daybreak USA

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is one I forgot about for the longest time. Had it in my collection for about 3 years before I finally got to watch it. It is one that was recommended by my daughter. For some reason I went into it a little hesitant... but in the end I found I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is really a fun film... but it also has it's share of action. I liked the different takes they did on all the different legendaries. At first I was a little taken aback with this Santa... but he quickly grew on me. This is definitely a film I am comfortable recommending.

Rating:
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
I really like this one too .. i almost didn't see it when it came out but was so glad that I had seen it.  A great seasonal (or anytime) favorite
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:40 PM »

Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe (2009/)
(United States)
Director:Ron Underwood
Writing:Garrett Frawley (Writer), Brian Turner (Writer), Garrett Frawley (Original Characters By), Brian Turner (Original Characters By)
Length:84 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jenny McCarthy as Mary Claus
Miguelito Macario Andaluz as Sandy
Dean McDermott as Luke Jessup
Lorette Clow as Stuck Up Woman
Holly Anne Emmerson as Young Woman

Plot:
Santa's tired of his responsibilities and is readhy to pass on the reins to his daughter Mary (Jenny McCarthy), who is torn between the family business and her own firm in New York City, and balaning the love of her life. The situation gets dire when a disgruntled former elf tries to take over Christmas.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

While still enjoyable... this one wasn't as good as the first one. I was sorry to see they replaced George Wendt as Santa.But from what I could tell the rest of the cast from the first one had returned. It is fun enough that I can see myself watching it each year... but won't be one of my favorites.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:55:19 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 01:33:40 AM »
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special (2008/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Simon
Writing:
Length:85 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jeff Dunham as Himself
Jeff Dunham as Walter (puppeteer) (Voice)
Jeff Dunham as Bubba J (puppeteer) (Voice)
Jeff Dunham as Peanut (puppeteer) (Voice)
Jeff Dunham as José Jalapeño (puppeteer) (Voice)

Plot:
Jeff Dunham invites Walter, Peanut, Bubba J, José Jalapeño and Achmed the Dead Terrorist to join him on his first holiday special. Unfortunately, his suitcase posse doesn't quite share the same Christmas spirit—and the result is a one-of-a-kind live event unlike any yuletide celebration you've ever seen!

Dunham whose first two television specials drew record ratings, multimillion DVD sales and over 200 million views on websites worldwide, brings together all-new material and, for the first time, original songs and stories guaranteed to become instant classics: from Achmed's "Jingle Bombs" to Bubba J's "Roadkill Christmas" to Peanut's version of "The Night Before Christmas."

Destined to become a treasured holiday favorite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This has become a yearly tradition for me. This guy is just freaking hilarious! I really liked all his characters... my favorite is a toss-up between Achmed and Peanut. I wasn't expecting to like a ventriloquist as much as I liked this one but this Jeff Dunham special is just filled with laughs. The show is as good on multiple viewings as it is the first time you seen it. If you never checked this guy out before... I highly recommend it!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 03:49:58 AM »
Jingle All the Way: Family Fun Edition (1996/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Brian Levant
Writing:Randy Kornfield (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Howard Langston
Sinbad as Myron Larabee
Phil Hartman as Ted Maltin
Rita Wilson as Liz Langston
Robert Conrad as Officer Hummell

Plot:
In this hilarious holiday comedy, Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as a frantic father trying to buy a Turbo Man action figure for his son on Christmas Eve — unaware that it's the season's hottest-selling toy. So begins a take-no-prisoners battle involving a stressed-out mailman (Sinbad), a sleazy mall Santa (Jim Belushi) and dozens of other desperate dads!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Extended Director's Cut and Theatrical Version

My Thoughts:

This is one I haven't watched in a few years. It is one I enjoyed quite a bit. Lots of fun Christmas mishaps that makes it entertaining from beginning to end. While I wouldn't say it is my favorite holiday movie... it is one that remains entertaining after multiple viewings. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
The Santa Clause (1994/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Pasquin
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Writer), Steve Rudnick (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Thai: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neal
Wendy Crewson as Laura
Eric Lloyd as Charlie
David Krumholtz as Bernard

Plot:
Experience the true magic of the holidays with Disney's original hit comedy, The Santa Clause, now available on Blu-ray for the first time in a new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound. Superstar Tim Allen sparkles in a hilarious family movie for all ages.

On Christmas Eve, divorced father Scott Calvin (Allen) and his son Charlie discover the current Mr. Claus has fallen off their roof. When Scott dons Santa's suit, he unwittingly triggers "The Santa Clause," and they are immediately whisked away to the North Pole to take on the role of jolly old St. Nick. Relive all the joy of this holiday classic in a whole new way in Disney High Definition!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • The Night Before Christmas Animated Short, Recipes

My Thoughts:

This has always been one of my favorites. I have watched it every year since it came out. But this is the first time I got to see it on Blu-ray... as I just got the upgrade. In my opinion... tis is a film everyone should watch at least once. I think it is a fun film for everyone in the family. Highly recommended!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »

The Night Before Christmas
The Night Before Christmas is a 1933 American Pre-Code animated short film produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by United Artists. Part of the Silly Symphony series, the film is an adaptation of Clement Clarke Moore's poem A Visit from St. Nicholas, popularly called The Night Before Christmas. The film was directed by Disney animator Wilfred Jackson.

St. Nick is seen delivering the toys that he made in Disney's Santa's Workshop (1932) to a house full of sleeping children. The toys come alive, and they dance around and have fun. The kids awake to find a beautiful Christmas tree with lots of toys.

My Thoughts:
This is an extra on the blu-ray of The Santa Claus. It is cute enough that made it worth the time put in to watch it. But nothing all that special. Just an average animated short from way back when.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »
2 weeks in... My count so far...

Movies: 13
Specials: 4
TV Eps.: 2
Shorts: 1
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Year of Release: 1964
Directed By: Larry Roemer
Starring: Burl Ives, Larry Mann, Billy Richards, Paul Soles, Stan Francis
Genre: Fantasy, Musical, Animation, Television

Overview:
Do you remember when... Rudolph visited the Island of Misfit Toys, and Santa asked Rudolph to guide his sleigh on Christmas Eve? Share the magic of this Original Christmas Classic told and sung by Burl Ives!

My Thoughts:
This was THE Christmas special when I was a kid. It was the one I searched for in the TV Guide, eagerly making sure I had control of the TV for that hour on that day. But all three generations of our family would gather round to watch. I haven't missed a year since the 70's, and this still holds up perfectly.  The blu-ray has beautiful color and clarity, and is well worth the upgrade for those who still have this on DVD.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »

Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice
Year of Release: 2009 / 2011
Directed By: Stevie Wermers-Skelton, Kevin Deters
Starring: Dave Foley, Derek Richardson, Sarah Chalke, Rob Riggle
Genre: Comedy, Animation, Television

Overview:
PREP & LANDING
On Christmas Eve, a high-tech team of elves from an elite unit known as 'Prep & Landing' ensures homes around the world are prepared for Santa's visit. But when two hilarious little elves face unexpected challenges and are pushed to their limits, it'll take a great big effort to save the season. Enjoy a heartwarming holiday classic sure to make everyone's Christmas list!

PREP & LANDING: NAUGHTY VS. NICE
The outrageous yuletide adventures of Christmas elves Lanny and Wayne continue in this totally tinsel adventure that reminds us there's room for everyone on the 'nice' list. Santa's stealthiest little elves must race to recover classified North Pole technology, which has fallen into the hands of a computer-hacking naughty kid, in order to stop Christmas from descending into chaos. Bring the family together for a comical adventure that puts the Ho, Ho, Ho in your holidays!

My Thoughts:
PREP & LANDING
This is a modern Christmas classic for us. I love this little special, from stressed-out McGee, to hyper excited Lanny, to cynical Wayne discovering the joy of Christmas again, to Tiny, who manages to have a character despite only seeing the top of the hat. Perfect watch every year for the season.
PREP & LANDING: NAUGHTY VS. NICE
Much as I love the first Prep and Landing, I think I actually like this one a little more. I really like the story of Wayne and his brother, and the coal elves are such fun characters (especially Carol). Like the original, this is another modern Christmas classic for us, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
PREP & LANDING: OPERATION SECRET SANTA
Cute, short cartoon of Wayne & Lanny helping out Mrs. Claus. It's a neat little mission snapshot, and you can watch it in the special features of the blu-ray if you're a fan.
PREP & LANDING: TINY'S BIG ADVENTURE
Cute, short cartoon in the Prep and Landing universe featuring the struggles of the shortest elf in her quest to make coffee for McGee. Watch this in the blu-ray special features if you're a fan.

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
Year of Release: 1962
Directed By: Abe Levitow
Starring: Jim Backus, Morey Amsterdam, Jack Cassidy, Royal Dano, Paul Frees
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical, Animation, Television

Overview:
In this seasonal Charles Dickens' tale, the bumbling and lovable Mr. Magoo is Ebeneze Scrooge. Remember the hilarious and heartwarming story of how Mr. Scrooge transforms after a visit from Christmas past, present, and future. This Original Christmas Classic is a must-have for the holidays!

My Thoughts:
Not the worst version of A Christmas Carol that I've seen, but close to it. If Mr. Magoo doesn't make a bad version of Scrooge, the reordering of the ghostly visits, and the elimination of Fan and his nephew sit hard with me. There's also a lot of music for as short as this special is. I love musicals, but there's a need for more story here, and less razzleberry dressing.

Overall, I'd say this is more for fans of Magoo than fans of A Christmas Carol. As far as cartoon versions of the story for kids, Mickey's Christmas Carol is much, much better.

Overall: 2.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:50 PM »

Celtic Woman: Home for Christmas: Live from Dublin
Year of Release: 2013
Directed By: Russell Thomas
Starring:  Susan McFadden, Lisa Lambe, Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, Máiréad Nesbitt
Genre: Music

Overview:
The concert features timeless holiday favorites (Silent Night, I'll Be Home for Christmas, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Joy To The World) with the group's signature Celtic Woman flair under the distinct musical direction of Emmy-nominated Music Director, David Downes. HOME FOR CHRISTMAS- LIVE FROM DUBLIN is a visual and aural feast under the direction of Russell Thomas and filmed at Dublin's Helix Theatre. Complimented by Ireland's finest musicians comprised of a 36 piece orchestra and 40-member Philharmonic Choir, this large-scale one-hour production promises a festive and moving celebration of music to be cherished by generations. The Blu-ray also features 15 minutes of bonus material of intimate, acoustic performances to Away In A Manger, The Christmas Song, In The Bleak Midwinter and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

My Thoughts:
This is another lovely concert from Celtic Woman. I love Máiréad Nesbitt's fiddle. If I miss some of the members from 2007's Christmas Celebration, and if I do still like that one just a wee bit more, the new members also have beautiful voices. Recommended if you've enjoyed their music before, or just enjoy carols.

Bechdel Test: N/A
Mako Mori Test: N/A

Overall: 3.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Year of Release: 1995
Directed By: Jon Stone
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Leslie Nielsen, Stockard Channing, Kevin Clash, David Rudman, Julianne Buescher
Genre: Comedy, Television

Overview:
A single Christmas tree becomes the source of cheer for the people and animals living around Mr. Willowby's estate. Based on the children's book of the same name.

My Thoughts:
More Muppets and less RDJ than I was hoping, but this was still a fun Christmas special. The mice are actually the stars here, but Downey is having quite a bit of fun with his character and Leslie Nielsen garners more than one smile as the straight-laced butler who's sweet on the upstairs maid. I'd actually have rather seen more of those characters, and not only because I like Downey so much.

Recommended if you're a fan of the Muppets, and don't mind watching a grainy version of this on youtube. Also recommended if you're a big fan of RDJ like I am, but you'll be disappointed by how little you see of him.

Overall: 2.75/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield